Camelot_2000

An Outdated Look At Middle-Class Suburbia With Magic, 28 January 2017

I admit I've always been a fan of this show ever since I was a little kid. I also bought the DVD box set for the entire series. Every character that came on (particularly Samantha's family) had me grandly entertained.

The music score, not to mention the special effects for magic, were major highlights of the show. It got overwhelming at times and you can't help, but feel sorry for mortals like Darrin, who got changed into a monkey, mule and other things whenever he annoyed his mischievous mother-in-law. I'm surprised he never saw a psychiatrist for all he's been through.

This program is definitely an excellent depiction of American middle class suburbia of the 1960s looking so dignified, rich and "white". Darrin worked for an advertising company called "McMann and Tate" and was best friends with his boss which was a major highlight,considering the many times he got fired and rehired due to Samantha's zany magical antics with her meddling family.

Larry Tate, Darrin's boss, proved himself to be a good, but somewhat, nosy friend who always showed up at the house at the wrong times, especially when Endora turned Darrin into something. I mean, how easy is it to hide the fact that your husband is turned into a jackass?

As I watched my "Bewitched" marathon recently, I learned that "spells" were hard to "cure" with Samantha's seemingly incompetent coven. They'd cast it to upset Samantha's household and later have major trouble in reversing it to set things straight again. They'd have to look up the likes of Dr. Bombay, or their ancient witchcraft books, to seek a cure.

With each episode, they always found a solution to the problem and everyone was all happy and satisfied again. A great piece of TV nostalgia, but you can't help, but notice how "white bread" the Stevens household appears to be.

Larry is always talking about saving five hundred thousand dollar accounts from prospective clients and arranges a "formal dinner" either at his fancy house or at the Stevens'. It's all a dignified "tie & dress" affair with upper crust conversations like "golf" going on. Can anyone who isn't in the same caliber as them fit into that? I think not.

Regardless of the social setting, this is a wildly entertaining classic show with superior special effects of it's day. For older folks, you can't help, but feel nostalgia while watching it. Samantha Stevens has gotta be the best wife there ever was. She can even zap you onto the moon for a holiday if she wanted to. I highly recommend it.

The Most Spiritually Uplifting Episode Out Of The Series, 12 January 2017

God is always the dominant factor in this long running TV show with many messages about his love, forgiveness and "help". That's clearly shown in this extremely touching episode showcasing anger, jealousy, guilt and later, to a certain degree, sacrifice.

Laura resented the attention her folks gave to the newborn baby boy and when he later dies of illness, she runs away to seek forgiveness for her jealous and angry feelings towards him. She wanted to get as close to the sky as possible to be nearer to God so he'd hear her plea to be taken instead and to return the baby to the family.

This show has had many touching, emotional moments and this one tops the emotional pinnacle. Laura finds a tall rocky hill to be nearer to God and her experiences up there with the 'mysterious' Jonathon are unforgettable indeed. He, with his wise Christian words, helped her change her decision about continuing to run and to accept what "God wanted" which was to return to her family.

This show has tugged at the emotional strings in a lot of ways, but this story about a young girl wanting to give her life to bring back her brother's, hits the mark for superior drama. Nothing in TV history can ever compete with what was depicted here in this particular episode. A major highlight to the 'Little House' phenomenon.

World Leaders Would Never Be In This Much Danger, But it's All In Fun, 7 November 2016

That's the impression I got while viewing this "Gerard-Butler-gun-fest" tonight. I was riveted by "Olympus Has Fallen" and was drawn into the reality of how the president's life and the white house could be threatened in such a technologically sophisticated way. I kept thinking of how it was "possible".

Well, along comes a sequel and, of course, the save-or-die loyalty to the American president is further highlighted here with Butler continuing to play the 'superhero secret service agent' even though he has retirement plans on his mind. After all, you can't blame the guy for wanting to be home with his pregnant wife and to be the loving husband who changes the baby's diapers and mows the lawn in the front yard! Who can fault him for that?

Well, those plans are put on hold when London is under massive terrorist siege with bombs and gunfire erupting all over the place. The British PM has died and all the world leaders travel to London to pay their respects, but of course, there's an ulterior motive In mind. The attack happens as soon as the world leaders arrive to the funeral in their high security motorcades, but then the CGI blasts go off all over the place and the crowd of Londoners on the streets are looking "mildly" surprised by it all. I think they would've had a more enthusiastic reaction if 'Mr. Bean' arrived sitting in a wheelbarrow with the Queen pushing it.

All credibility ends there and even more so when it's all massive gunfire with Gerard super heroically twisting and turning in quick movements and dodging bullets like a fly avoiding a fly swatter. His ultimate duty is protecting the 'President of the United States' and he does it in more ways than humanly possible. He also tiresomely mentions it too.

The president is indeed in jeopardy and helps his 'savior' agent in more ways than one, but that's when the credibility ends. The world is way too high tech now and having a bitter Pakistani launch a seemingly invincible world attack over a "family tragedy" doesn't seem believable in this day and age.

I admit I'm older and more wiser to mindless action movies like this, but know there are people who do enjoy it and are greatly entertained and get "what they want" out of it. I'm not one of them. It's action entertainment at it's finest, but leave your brain at the door and enjoy the fun. That's all I can say.

Riddick (2013)
Another Adventure From Riddick, But No Surprises Here, 30 October 2016

I saw this continuation of the "Riddick" series at the theatre with my friend when it first came out even though she truly wanted to see a horror flick playing at the screen next door. She seemingly enjoyed it and I'm glad I dragged her into it though she was somewhat feeling unwillingly.

You see, I was a major fan of "Pitch Black" and the subsequent movies to follow and I felt the need to check out this newest instalment of the "dangerous planet" action adventure. It truly did deliver and Vin Diesel showed what fans expected, but you can't help, but feel it's giving another retread of the first film.

Those desert, sometimes infernal, worlds really are inhospitable places to be and Riddick, without fail, always conquers that. He knows how to fight and kill anything- no matter how lethal - to come his way, but I felt something more 'newer', "unexpected" and "more challenging" would have sufficed. There were no surprises here.

The characters were extremely likable though, with "Boss Johns" the bitter father holding a grudge against Riddick for killing his son in a previous film, but later forgives him after Riddick saves his life. The heartwarming moment was when they fly out of that hellish world in different spaceships and Johns blocks Riddick's to say goodbye. Luna, the young guy on Johns' crew, stands next to Johns and listens to what Riddick says about forgiveness and how we "all eventually have to head home".

Obvious to see that Johns had another young guy (Luna) to replace the son he bitterly lost and that all concerned had reached a resolution of sorts. A very pleasing finale.

One Wild Car Chase, 24 August 2016

I wanted to see this film for the longest time (I missed the theatrical run), and after buying the DVD at Walmart and watching it tonight, I have to admit, I was impressed with the engrossing action.

It's all one hasty road runner epic with barely time to breath. The pace is quick and you have to make sure you pay attention or you'll miss out on important key points to the plot.

The miserable, barbaric and totally cruel future is there which is the principle theme for these Mad Max films A world where nobody trusts each other and everything is all about guns, violence and saving the precious 'juice" to make vehicles move.

This time around, there's beautiful and sacred pregnant women at stake and a hunt for the "Green Place" where everything is a Utopian grassland and an escape from the desert. An exciting goal for the story and even more exciting when there's a twist to the dream and the challenge to meet it.

The violence is non stop and the desperate killing to survive is plainly evident in this film. Max has flashbacks to the death of his wife and daughter and it's too bad the film didn't focus more on that, allowing the viewer to know the reason for Max's angry and hauntingly bitter mentality to the "bad guys".

Charlize Theron is perfect as the 'Rambo Female", but there's no kissing or romantic moments here with Max. It was a brutal "kill or be killed" emotion between the two at the beginning, but after the chaotic clashes with the raging villains, they eventually learned to trust one another.

The barbaric, nuclear wasteland of a despairing future is an old cliché, but this movie brings a refreshing feel to that by making it into one wild and crazy race. In the "Road Warrior", the highway chase was saved towards the end along with the climactic finale, but here, the chase is through the whole movie.

Tom Hardy is excellent as Max and Charlize is equally excellent as the "SHE-RAMBO", but the super quick movements of the characters makes it seem like the film was playing on high speed instead of running at a normal rate. Regardless of the flaws, this movie delivers on entertainment and continuous suspense. It's all on-the-edge-of-your- seat excitement. I highly recommend it.

The Unforgettable Walnut Grove, 27 May 2016

This show is a classic. It delved deep into emotions with a lot of crying and dramatic moments. It touched upon an intimacy that was never shown in other programs like it before. I also haven't watched another series that captured things quite like this one did.

There's emotional moments everywhere and kind heartiness throughout. I can't think of one person who I watched this show with in childhood who hasn't cried in one way or another. It had a powerful impact and did it by touching on sensitive feelings that we often feel ourselves.

My dad used to call it the "cry baby" show which it was, but at the same time, it delivered good messages about faith, humanity and "love thy neighbour". I have to admit the father/son relationship between Albert and Charles was a major highlight. Charles always showed his caring and loving parental skills, but the time when he helped Albert get "detoxed" from his morphine addiction, was a powerful moment indeed.

There was also the deeply moving relationship between Laura and "Pa" which made it plainly clear how much she looked up to him. There was also the bad side of the show and focuses on such arrogant characters as Mrs. Oleson. Her snobby, discriminatory attitude was evident, but at the same time, she could also show a kind side. I have to admit, I found her money hungry antics entertaining and how she always got her "just desserts" for her negativity. It was also good that the kindly Mr. Oleson was there to act as the "conscious" and balance between good and evil in his marriage to Harriet.

The townsfolk were just as unforgettable as well, with the likes of the jovial Mr. Edwards and the "I-always-have-bad-news" Doctor Baker. Reverend Aldin was also a treat as the kindly church preacher helping the Walnut Grove population with their numerous troubles. He was a major anchor in hero township and always made sure everyone followed the proper path.

I recently bought the Season 9 DVD from a second hand store and, I have to admit, the show was still good under "Little House - A New Beginning". It just wasn't the same though after Charles and family pulled up stakes and moved to the city. The Carter family taking over the "little house" just never felt right though John Carter was sexy stuff indeed. Regardless of that, he couldn't quite capture the magic of the Charles Ingalls era.

Nothing can ever beat the pure dramatic flare of this show. It touched upon so many tragedies and social issues of the day and showed it with powerful drama. I highly recommend it.

A 21st Century CGI Predicable Remake, 14 April 2016

I just caught this on Netflick and my expectations were low regarding the so-called remake from the 1982 original. It was professionally made with equally professionally actors, but regardless of all that good potential, the movie just doesn't pan out in this day and age.

Today's world is spoiled rotten with CGI and the overwhelmingly multitude of movies available at any $5 dollar Walmart bin. Something that's a success today will be a bargain basement DVD tomorrow. It's like tossing pennies at multi-million dollar projects that last for a brief time before falling into the hole of a "cheap" Walmart.

This is obviously just a step-by-step path for the original and with less punch. The girl even says, "They're Here!", with as much gusto as an Elementary School play. The solid punch of the original just isn't here. It's like playing shadow puppets with something that's far more superior than what later follows.

Out With The Old And In With The New, 5 April 2016

I admit I've been a devout viewer of this show ever since I was a little kid. Bob Barker and his original "Barker's Beauties" always seemed to withstand the weather of time and kept on going no matter how long the clock ticked, just like the "Energizer Rabbit". The decades passed and there they still were. Did the Price is Right change during that long hour glass journey? No, not until a long time afterwards. Their cars went from 1970s Corvettes to the latest Dodge Vipers, lavishly displaying how prizes and prices drastically changed, but how the show didn't.

The rouse of excitement this show always incited was a major draw for me. It's enthusiastic audience reaction and it's loud carnival atmosphere really drew my interest. There were a lot of record breaking wins and unexpected surprises sometimes. The show seemed to have an enthusiastic potential that apparently wouldn't end.

I admit I'd eagerly watch sometimes, but would later lose interest only to be drawn back into it again a few years later. There they still were - Bob Barker and his "beauties".

I admit Bob is never one to be tired of, but it was tiring seeing the models Janice, Diane and Holly constantly raising their arms for an eternity to introduce the latest prizes. It was time for new faces when those models exhausted their endlessly long run. They were near senior citizen age by that time and went on longer than they should have. They remained gorgeous beauties though.

I think Drew is the perfect host after Bob with his chronic cheerful disposition and constant wit. The new models too brought a refreshing feel to the show. I'll always be a fan of TPIR and the "happy wealth" it so happily delivers, but times change and so should those who are on it after a certain period. I love it.

A Perfect Portrayal Of People Who Aren't Perfect, 3 June 2015

Not everybody is "normal". There are those who don't have the perfect physique and are too skinny or way too fat or are mentally challenged. This movie gives an excellent depiction of how difficult not being "normal" really is. It clearly shows how one's physical or mental state can lead to a lot of ridicule and eyeballing in society. It shows that "hiding" for some is the only alternative to take.

Johnny Depp's extreme acting talent is evidently showcased here and as one IMDb reviewer said, he's capable of "acting with his eyes" which is totally true. He gives an excellent performance as the young man yearning to escape from a small, no-where town, but is trapped by the burden of his family.

Darlene Cates is outstanding as the extremely overweight momma who sits on the couch all day and watches TV. As a non-professional actor who got the part because of her girth, she has excellent "screen presence" like the other acting professionals around her. Since her character's situation mirrored her own life, you can tell she's acting from sincerity and understanding.

Leonardo Dicaprio is, of course, outstanding as the mentally challenged son who can behead a grasshopper at the mailbox and later cry about it. His happy, wild curiosity about the world and his habit for "hiding up a tree", not to mention his urge to climb the town's water tower, is a very believable performance. No wonder he was nominated for an Oscar.

Juliette Lewis was perfectly cast as the down-to-earth and common-sense minded love interest to Gilbert who believes that appearances are "external" and that no one should be judged by that. The moment when she finally meets Gilbert's mom was a touching one indeed.

This is a very beautiful, heartwarming movie and the beauty isn't in what is depicted, but in those who depicted it. Being "normal" isn't always the case for some and this movie perfectly shows that. I highly recommend it.

Life Is Hard If You Don't Have A Voice, 30 May 2015

The history of slavery is indeed an evil and harsh event, knowing it didn't happen too long ago in the good old US of A. This movie gives an excellent depiction of that, portraying a happy and successful family man who is lured too far South and becomes a Slave.

Getting treated as nothing, but a "valuable buck", he has no voice at all, even when he kept insisting he was a free man from New York. He had to experience a few harsh "masters", one of whom made them dance in the middle of the night while drunk even though a long day of work laid ahead.

This is a beautiful and honest movie, even made more so by Lupita Nyong'o's riveting performance as a tortured slave who comes to believe that death is more welcoming than life. It's no wonder she won an Oscar for that.

This film perfectly captures how hard life can be if you don't have a "voice" and no rights at all. White people with authority and the "right papers" had to intervene to get you free and getting in touch with them was a "lucky" experience.

Solomon Northup was indeed a lucky man. The ending was especially heart wrenching and powerful, clearly showing that people are people, and not another piece of "livestock" to be sold or "owned".