buzzbruin

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Sure to be a classic Indie film, 1 August 2008

For a first time director, a superb job, The general theme is single mothers fighting for their very life. Living on next to nothing,trying to raise their children with almost no resources but their own courage. They are at the very edge of society living in forbidding land of ice snow and frozen lakes and rivers. Both Melissa Leo and the native American woman must make terrible choices in order to live. Despite what the main stream critics have said, the picture is photographed wonderfully and there are no cheap props other indications of cheap film. The actors are fabulous and the characters are interesting, true to life and the story makes sense. This film is a classic, and I hereby nominate both female leads for Oscars. see this film ASAP!!

A real clunker, 20 July 2008

This film would serve as a sleep aid. If you want to run a grocery store see this film. Otherwise, don't waste your time (even for rental. This is one of the most boring films ever made. There is ZERO development of relationships. There is no explanation of why the lead left his home 10 years ago. The romance has no reason,background or development. The female lead has no more than a cameo role and we gather nothing about her personal life, including parents, point of origin. We have no understanding of the male lead. Whats he been doing for 10 years? What is his profession. His brother is a hairdresser (WOW) The feelings between father and son are never explained (I gather the father was and is, a SOB). I gather a lot of the people in the film were not real actors (and neither were the professionals!! If didn't feel the need to get out of the house, we agreed we would NEVER have watched on DVD. Please skip this French DUD!!

One of THE worst movies of all times, 8 July 2008

anyone who likes this movie has to be from another planet or a film student. Where do I begin? Horrible acting, an incomprehensible script. The director should be thrown out of the industry, never to appear again. The leads should be ashamed of themselves and send their money back. This goes on my list of bad movies and is easily in the top ten. Life is precious, do not waste your time on this awful awful movie. The useless violence literally dozens --well, it makes me sick. After watching tell no one--a fantastic thriller. The special effects (if thats what they were, were so bad ( even driving down steps) they were laughable. This film should be shown to all film students around the world as a bold example of how really BAD movies can be. It is in fact PURE JUNK>

Much better than I thought it would be, 21 June 2008

The wife and I were fans of the show, didn't expect much from the movie. Therefor, we were pleasantly surprised. The script was just right. The movie dealt with aging, and what women deal with once they are past 40. The women were consistent with the TV series. There was lots of fun in it. they didn't overdo ,the fashionista bits and the sex and nudity was perfectly handled. I found the movie better than the series which was fluffy, and at times shallow (but still mucho entertaining and fun) while the movie was, dare I say, poignant and warm-hearted. I also take issue with those who say a REAL man wouldn't be caught dead at this movie. Yes if he was the stereotype male pig. I resent that, and lots of my male friends do too. They also didn't overdo the gay jokes. Go see it, you'll enjoy it.

A strange absorbing film, 3 January 2008

P. T. Anderson makes an old-fashioned film completely different from his other films. This is a story of an oilman around the turn of the last century, a man who is driven by ambition greed, and hatred for his fellow men. He is really a huckster conning landowners out of their mineral rights by the sheer strength of his personality, and his ability to answer any question they might ask, and satisfying their poverty-driven greed by promising them untold wealth. He is opposed only by an impossibly young preacher who tries to help his people, but fails. The movie revolves around the evil,power struck, hater of men played by Daniel Day-Lewis. His morality knows no bounds and he is willing to do anything, including cold-blooded murder to gain what he wants. The film is great in showing the plight of the land-owner and working class of Americans during this period. It is epic in all places, acting writing directing music, photography. PT Anderson and Lewis are GREAT film-makers. Everyone should see this film.

A superb film., 23 November 2007

A very intellectual film about an author. Frank Langela is magnificent as the author. He is shy internalized, jealous of protecting his works and words. A young graduate student approaches him and says she wants to write her masters thesis about him. The actress is the weakest link in the film--she doesn't seem to be real, and has a superficial manner that doesn't ring true. Lili Taylor as his daughter and Adrian Lester as her boyfriend are simply wonderful, and very supportive of the Author. I got an understanding of what writers. Very well written and worth seeing because it is so far off the track of most films. Once again, as in most indie films, its a slice of life and I felt I knew the Author, who was also a professor. I didn't get a feel for the students character or motivation and what was the slap for? Id like other views to explain that.

A great film by a great filmmaker, 9 November 2007

A truly classic film by a master film maker. A crime thriller combined with a deeply disturbing story of a family at the end of its rope. The cast is uniformly superb. I never thought Etan Hawke had it in him, but as a schlub he was academy level. What can one say about Phillip S. Hoffman--he goes from a sweating pigish lout and loser to a terifying out of control killer. Albert Finney just almost steals the film with his acting--this is a family tragedy beyond compare, It is a sombre film with no humor to relieve one of the overwhelming sorrow felt by everyone in the family. This a story of tragic human beings and New York is not filmed in its glory, the cops are not part of the story. Marisa Tomei is just great as a sexy yet realistic character and does much with her small part. There isn't a bad actor in the film. See this film as soon as you can.

Not as good as I expected, 3 November 2007

After all the hype, I expected more. It is way too long for a simple story. It is too derivative with steals from Godfather, Good Fellas and number of other gangster films. The revelation to me was a great performance by Crowe, probably his best. He played it perfectly--an underplayed restrained but in the end a magnificent job of acting. I never realized how really good he is as an actor, He plumbed the depth of this good cop and yet made him all too human, showing his angst as well as his moral certitude. For once he did not rely on his persona and charm. Acting students should see him if they want to see a big star show how really good a star can be!! I admire him for stopping to give such a great acting job in the middle of a star-laden career. Denzel also gave a wonderful performance. Even though he relied on his superb electric personality. Any film he is in is usually worth watching. He is at the top of his craft, here going from suave polished kingpin to savage killer.But the rest of the cast except for Brolin is wasted. He gives another amazing acting job and shows he is a top professional. The film was poorly edited and Zalians script was Disjointed and character development other than the leads was non-existing. It is surely worth seeing for the two stars work but because of the poor writing and editing it doesn't rise to the level of the great crime films.

Not much of a movie, 25 August 2007

There is absolutely no information given us for why JA and Mr Lafoi fall in love. We know only that he is penniless and she wants to be a writer. But there are so few scenes between them that I couldn't fathom what basis there was for committed relationship, let alone passionate love! The writing and character development are so thin as to be non-existent. They start off repulsed by each other and there is nothing shown as to why they suddenly want to run off together. Much as I like Ms. Hathaway and Mr. McAvoy as actors the material given is so lean and lacking substance that neither can pull it off. As my wife said, " if you've seen one Jane Austin movie you've seen them all!" I don't quite agree with that, but Le me put it this way, If Jane Austin herself had seen this dull piece, she would have been mortified! They would have been better off creating a fiction, since this movie doesn't come close to any of the JA movies heretofore released. In sum,a waste of time and not worth renting.

Disturbia (2007)
It falls apart, 13 August 2007

I saw this flick on net flix. I rented it primarily because of Shia Leboeuf. It started out interestingly as a thriller, starting slowly and developing some tension following the Rear Window routine, gradually letting the audience in on various secrets. David Morse was good as a suspect, affable but menacing. It also, in the first two thirds of the movie avoided gore blood, etc. I like the characters except for SLs friend who I think was grossly over the top and way too fey. The girl lead was intriguing, but not fleshed out enough as a person. THEN at the last one-third of the movie it fell completely apart degenerating into an obvious slasher--just awful. I say don't see this movie,unlike Fracture it just isn't interesting enough to waste your time on.

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]