endemoniada-1

"Homeland" (2011)
A brilliant first season leaves me pining for more., 19 December 2011

Wow, yeah, so a lot of people watched the final episode and thought the show sucked. Maybe they're right, a lot of them also seem to share the same problems with it, from the ending being disappointing to it being a "propaganda show" AGAINST the USA.

First of all, whatever the political aspirations of the show's creators, this is a fantastically solid, well-acted and directed first season of a show that feels like what 24 should have been from the start. Tight-knit, down-to-earth suspense with an actually realistic premise. As for the supposed "propaganda", it's time the people in the US hear what the rest of the world has been thinking for a decade now. No, really, we actually don't think it's absolutely ridiculous that 10 years of retaliatory wars in the Middle East will spawn some kind of blowback. This show explores what we've all been thinking, but American patriotism makes it shameful to admit. I find that incredibly strong and encouraging, and it makes me watch it not because I hate American, but because I enjoy and appreciate truth.

As for the acting, I sincerely hope Claire Danes will receive proper recognition. Especially in the last few episodes towards the end, her performance has been among the strongest on TV in years. Lately, only Brian Cranston's amazing tour-de-force in Breaking Bad has topped it. Damian Lewis, too, delivers like I've rarely seen. Far from the caricatures of Muslim terrorists Americans apparently would like to see, he sincerely and convincingly acts out the role of the man who is emotionally sure of what he wants, but not brainwashed enough to think is the absolute only way to achieve it. Desperation can make anyone rationalize their goals, but not always be enough for that final push.

Now I eagerly await the second season, amid the angry and upset cries of all the people who can only accept fantasy that supports their own, real homeland.