dean2900

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Good concept not realized due to terrible acting, 11 June 2011

I really do love horror anthologies and wish there were more made. I was hoping to be able to look past the budget and enjoy the film.

Unfortunately it is impossible to look past non professional actors and watch a film in which this will be the only movie the main characters will be in because it just makes you want to cringe wit every line of dialog spoken.

This has three stories and a wraparound story much like Creep show. The only story bearable is the final of the three.

The movie is not scary, has zero tension, and when it attempts humor it falls flat on its face.

I do not recommend this movie to even die hard horror fans. I do believe the stories could have been rewritten and made into a good little horror flick. However, this does not happen when you get your friends and family as the cast.

Frozen (2010/I)
Don't be fooled by the hype **contains MINOR spoilers**, 14 September 2010

I had heard a lot of positive reviews about this movie from the film festivals. I liked the very campy Hatchet which was made by the same director and also thought the premise of three people stuck on a ski life could be interesting.

Wow, how wrong I was. This movie is absolutely boring because 80% of the movie deals with three uninteresting one dimensional characters whining and not putting together a rational thought on how to get off the ski lift. These people could not think of using clothing to make a make shift rope Of course all of them left their cell phones in their locker and not insider the zipped compartment inside their ski jackets like most people do.

It basically is lazy writing to create situations that were supposed to create tension. The wolves waiting below the ski lift is laughable.

It appears that no one involved in the movies had ever been skiing and knew nothing about so many different things. Suspenson of disbelief is one thing and I can live with it as long as the movie entertains. However, this movie just draws attention to it's own stupidity by being so boring and having wooden characters.

You would be much better off watching the cheap made for SCIFI (SYFY) channel movie where giant mutant spiders attack the ski resort. I cannot remember the name of it right now but you can google it.

I gave it 3 out of 10 stars solely on the fact that think the premise was good and a good movie could have been made out of the basic plot.

Road Kill (2010)
Silly (No Spoilers), 6 August 2010

I do not want to ruin the movie with the premise or the secret of the Road Train but I have to say it comes across as Silly. The actors were competent but not too likable. The FX were really bad in some places but I can excuse this due a low budget. The movie was soundly made from a technical standpoint.

However, the movie is not scary at all and really is stupid with the twist that occurs slightly more than half way through the flick.

This movie like all low budget movies has a 10 star review from someone obviously involved in the film at some level. No rational person who has seen more than 10 movies would give this movie more than 5-6 stars.

The movie is trying to be compared to Spielbergs very well made Duel and to a lesser extent Joy Ride. Anytime a movie comes out and the marketing mentions good films that it is similar to is the ultimate red flag. It is a dead giveaway the film is not good.

This is slightly better than most DTV low budget horror flicks but that is not saying much. I gave it a 4 out of 10 but will say the director shows potential.

Bronson (2008)
No Clockwork Orange, 12 November 2009

This movie was advertised as A Clockwork Orange for the 21st century. That is an awful bold statement to post in the previews (although it supposedly came from a review).

I have to tell you that put some red flags up for me that they were trying to compare to another movie instead of trying to make this movie sell based on it's own merit.

If you are expecting anything like A Clockwork Orange then you are going to be disappointed. This movie lacks the acting, cleverness, depth, and themes that made A Clockwork Orange one of the greatest motion pictures ever made IMO.

This movie does have a pretty decent performance from the lead character but suffers from poor writing and a lot of unneeded scenes that add nothing to the film.

I really feel like I know nothing more about what made Bronson "tick" after seeing the movie despite his monologues.

The movie does make strong commentaries about prison systems and justice but it does nothing to make it a memorable experience.

I gave the movie a 4 out of 10. Overall it fails but does have some decent parts. However, it is several notches below A Clockwork Orange.

Do Not Believe the Good Reviews * *NO Spoilers**, 26 September 2009

This movie was originally scheduled to be released in 2007 but test screening went bad. The writer of this movie also had penned the Superman Returns reboot which had bombed badly. The studio realized the movie is very bad and dropped it.

The only reason I am spending time posting is because of this continued trend of studio plans and viral marketing. It is real simple, the studio buys some critic reviews and compares it to John Carpenters Halloween (which is a joke) and then at the time of this review out of 800 votes, over 600 of the people rated the movie 10/10. That does not even happen with the Godfather, Shawshank, LOTR, and other top movies of all time.

The movie was so bad that the studio buried it. They are now going all out to try and sell this movie before REAL REVIEWS are made of the movie and word of mouth explains how bad it is.

There are no scares, no laughs, no tense moments, very little blood/gore, no T&A, etc. I don't mind it lacking the last three as long as it is a good movie but this is not.

I cant imagine who would like this. It felt closest to a knockoff of Tales from the Darkside the Movie without the real book ends and without decent special effects, some minor scares, etc. In fact, it was basically plot less and not tied together neatly. It was lazy writing.

You have been warned.

Camille (2008/I)
Finally something original (No Spoilers), 17 January 2009

As most people I am tired of the by the numbers clichéd movies that Hollywood makes. There seems to be no creativity in Hollywood. Companies only want to spend money on remakes are sequels that have an audience built in.

This movie is a welcome change. It could be classified as romantic comedy for it's genre but don't let that turn you off this movie. This is a very original movie which is not like most things Hollywood produces.

If you are reading this, you already know the basic plot so I will not bother going over that. The only movies that come to mind to compare this to are "Interstate 60" and "Art of Travel" which are little known gems that take a different path than most of the Hollywood garbage.

This is well worth seeing if you are tired of watching more of the same.

YAWN! Very bland and boring film, 21 December 2008

It is really hard to believe this movie comes from the same director and star of Wrong Turn. I have to admit that I did not really enjoy Wrong Turn it was intense and well made.

This movie is about a schizophrenic detective who is trying to track down a serial killer who is killing kids who have the same first and last initial in their name. The movie is told almost completely from the point of view from of the detective (Eliza Dushku).

I have to say I was interested in this because I respected the director for energy he put into Wrong Turn and had really liked Dushku on Tru Calling.

The movie is bland and the story is really not interesting. There is no excitement or really any surprise plot twists that make come into play.

This is probably the tamest R-Rated movie you will ever see. Is has no gore outside of some dripping blood and has a flash of breasts for less than second in a non sexual content. In fact there is no sex, blood, or violence outside of dead bodies and a attempted suicide. I believe it uses the dreaded F word two or three times. I am in no way saying the quality of the film is related to the adult content. This movie has mentioned along the lines of Se7en. It honestly is closer to the Sixth sense if you took out good acting, a great story, and a fantastic ending.

I believe this movie went to theaters shortly and then was immediately sent to Video because the studio knew this was not a bad film.

I truly believe the director was trying something different and to show the point of view of a person with severe mental problems and what she sees. Unfortunately, the film never gives the viewer anything to be interested in.

If you like the CSI type shows then stay home and watch your favorite one of those because it will be more interesting than this flick.

End of the Line (2007/II)
Much better than most movies of this type (spoiler free), 18 December 2008

This is a low budget horror movie of the slasher genre. At least 95% of these film are pure garbage. This is the rare exception.

The only thing you need to know about the plot is that this film is about a group of people who are stuck on subway that breaks down with a creepy religious fanatics on the train. The rest of the plot is best left to be discovered during the film. There is a lot more to the film but this is the type of movie that should be seen knowing as little as possible about it.

However, I have to say that End of the Line is one of the creepiness movies I have seen in a long time. It actually does a good job of creating a feeling of dread for the viewer. It will actually be scary to many viewers which Hollywood Horror flicks have not been in a long time.

The movie also has some depth as the events that may or may not have happened have some possible explanations.

I gave the movies a 6/10 on IMDb but as a horror movie, I would say it deserves a 8.5/10. There are certainly some flaws with the film and it is low budget but the acting was good for this type of film even though you don't get a chance to learn much about the characters. It had a good bit of blood/gore but it was not over the top.

If you like horror flicks then this one is definitely worth checking out! Dean

Not very good to a non gamer, 3 December 2008

I have never played the RE video games so this review is simply from a perspective of whether or not it is entertaining.

I have seen the first three Resident Live Action movies and found them to be quite entertaining.

However, I have to say that the Live Action movies were better than this CGI Film. The CGI characters looked unnatural although some scenes looked better than others. The plot really was not that interesting about the T Virus and the terrorism.

If you have not played the video game then I would advice you to stay away from this. I did give it 4 stars because I was able to make it through the whole movie but there is really nothing interesting. Also, this is a very weak R Rating. There very little blood and gore in the movie and no sexual situations or nudity. I think it should have been PG-13 personally.

X Files: I cant believe how bad it is, 1 August 2008

I am not a hardcore fan of the show but enjoyed many episodes especially the ones that dealt with the supernatural and not the alien takeover.

I enjoyed the 1st movie although it was not great, it at least was entertaining.

I went to see this movie because I knew he plot was not the alien takeover and it was more along the lines of the paranormal.

Unfortunately, this movie could be categorized as drama more than a show dealing with the supernatural. The script for this drama was dreadful and I cannot believe it received the green light. The movie failed to generate any tension at all and was boring. It seemed as if the characters had phoned in the performance and the 1 1/2 hour running time seemed like too long for the plot.

I did not look at the budget for this movie but it had next to zero special effects and no elaborate sets. A normal television episode looked better than this.

The bottom line is that this movie is a complete turkey and marks the end of the x files. The only people that are going to say it is good is hardcore fans who would like any x files show or movie regardless. Unless you are a die hard fan of the series than avoid this like the plague.

I am giving this movie a generous 3 out of 10.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]