vishal_wall

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A very bad film from all aspects, 11 December 2012

I am a big fan of Rajesh Khanna and Basu Chatterji but this film is really really really bad. It has no plot. It has nothing to offer. Music is bad. No innovative story or sequences. Utter nonsense. Film is completely linear. One thing happens then the next and then the next. There is no need of the previous scene for the current scene. Its a complete waste of time. First 15 minute we see Neetu singh looking for Rajesh Khanna and every time she just miss meeting him. He finally meets her standing at her house door and thats the end of it. There is no relevance of whatsoever later. Nonsense. Watch 'mrityudata' aur even 'Rab ne bana di jodi' instead. They are masterpiece compared to this nonsense.

Beautiful flick, 19 November 2010

Kanhaiyalal is a poor farmer whose family, a wife and two half brothers, survives on small piece of farm land. He spends a lot of money on his Sanjeev Kumar's law education while the other brother Jitendra, works with him on fields. Kanhaiyyalal's opponents and changing times breaks his family apart. Jitendra goes to city and becomes a driver, while Sanjeev kumar separates from his modern wife and his brothers and vows to show his face only after he earns enough money to buy his brother's land back. Family values, correct education and eternal love for righteousness bring the broken family together in the end.

It's great cinema. The land around which the entire film rotates is just one song. Story is unstoppable. It keeps flowing with perfect twists and turns. Kanhaiyyalal plays 'Hori' of Godan and does it to perfection. The character is torn between fancies of his brothers and reality of his economic situation. He loves his brothers and does everything for them. That's exactly what finally saves his family. Characters are very real and dramatic. Masterji of the village is an extremely interesting reference to sanity in a village torn between old values and industrial revolution. Sanjeev kumar's wife is also quite realistic as opposed to caricatures like Bindu in 'Do raste' etc.

Everybody has done a fantastic job but undoubtedly it's a kanhaiyyalal film. He shines in front of actors like Sanjeev Kumar and Durga Khote. Music is popular and melodic. Sanjeev kumar gives another perfect performance. Jitendra is extremely good. I know at least 5 bollywood directors who think that 'Dharti Kahe Pukarke' is one of the best Indian films. 9/10.

Imaan (1974)
Great film with a great cast and perfect ending, 19 June 2010

Its a suspense film so please don't read further if you haven't seen the film. Madhav comes out of jail but is given a chance to run a shop with complete honesty. Madhav fails in his mission. Madhav gets arrested and shop closes down. Madhav's brother comes from his village and runs the same shop with illegal rules and mints money. The film is about which path to chose in life.

Sanjeev kumar as Madhav and Laakhan is great. He really looks two different personalities. Film really belongs to supporting cast. Kaishto mukherji, Anwar Hussain and Johhny walker are too good. Johnny walker speaks 'Marwari' with ease and perfect pronunciation. Anawar Hussain as mean dukandar is a very strong portrayal. Leena is also very good. Music of the film is forgettable except 'Paise Bina Pyar' by kk.

Film is an adaptation of a story by Hermann Sudermann. Its serious cinema. It doesn't meander. No extra scenes. Just the story and the basic conflict. Film asks the question if honesty is the best policy or its not a policy at all. Story is full of twists and turns and is very engaging. The best part of the film is the end. For a story like this the end becomes a difficulty because you can't really say what is right and what is wrong and so you generally have to create a dialog and leave it at that like Plato's style. Film almost does that and still gives a logical end to the narrative. Highly recommended. 9/10

A timeless Classic, 16 June 2008

A real classic. I watched it about 25 years back and watched again yesterday. I did the magic both times on me, as a child and as a middle aged man. A jailer fights the eternal battle of good against evil when he decides to make 'men' out of 6 hard-core criminals.

Story doesn't meander. Plot is simple and filled with surprises and mythological grandiose. At times movie becomes sheer art and work of genius when V Shantaram through his spectacular framing and simple screenplay details talk about the psychology of a common man or uncommon man in dynamic society. Scenes like grandmother, Shankar walking out, first night sleep etc are just mind blowing. My favorite scene is when Jailer drags the barbed wire woods.

Making of the film is extremely artistic. All the scenes are thoroughly conceived. You can make out each and every actor moves from spot to spot. Camera moves in spots. Every single frame is detailed to its last frame. Acting is extremely animated but works in favor in a film like this. Background music is extremely provocative as lots of drums are used. Very entertaining drama. 9/10.

What is it about?, 5 June 2008

Did I waste my time. This is very pretentious film. In the beginning you will think there's something going on but by the time some 30 minutes go by you realize nothing is happening. I waited for another 20 minutes and by then i was so frustrated that I started reading reviews on IMDb and realized that the director has wasted precious time of so many people.

Unbelievably boring pointless film. Stay away. So many good soundtracks. I will give one point for the police inspector joke because that worked for me. I laughed for a long time but otherwise a very bad film. Stay away.1 on 10.

El Bola (2000)
Child abuse is sick, 29 May 2008

Pablo is 12 years old and is abused by his father while his friend Alfredo and Alfredo's family watch.

Film is done in a very interesting style. Not much violence is used. Pablo isn't shown doing great histrionics. Father also isn't shown a neurotic or a psychopath. It's just that their chemistry has gone wrong somewhere and they can't get along. Pablo comes across as a energetic, non-conformist boy. Relationship between all the characters are very real and full of daily conversation. Film doesn't have a single dull moment.

Pablo's father steals the show here. Great acting. Acting is mostly above average and cinematography is amazing. Pablo is really very good and so is his friend. Scene where Alfredos father pull up Pablo and Alfredo in the car is very good. I kept wondering what would be the end of the film. To my expectation the ending was perfect ending. Good film. 8/10.

Very Inspiring, 28 May 2008

Wiliams Wiberforce is an English Parliamntarian who fought all his life to pass the anti-slavery bill. This film is about his personal and political life as a social reformer, as a loser and finally as a winner.

Amazing grace is an inspiring film. It is a biopic and not a film based on social events like 'Roots' and 'Amistad'. William must be a great man. The whole concept of foreign slave trade was not done well. It should have been done with good examples and with more explanation. I really had to scratch my head on internet to understand what they actually did.

A good history lesson for college and school kids.

A lesson on history, sociology and politics., 28 May 2008

The overall idea of the documentary is to show how 'market' is evolving globally. Its in 3 parts. 1 part shows the market in the era of communism, depression and socialism. 2 part shows the opening of domestic markets in 70s and 80s and third part shows the cross border exchange of goods, ideas meaning 'globalization'. The over all attitude is very positive and politically neutral.

The best part is that all economic changes are shown with political point of views and so they become more meaningful and easy to understand. Highest order economists and politicians are interviewed like Clinton, Thatcher, Hayek etc.

Its not a Bible Sermon as I found this documentary a lil harsh on central planning issue. Keynes is compared with Marx and Lenin. They are completely different in their approaches and are very successful politicians/economists. Capitalism isn't working as well and so open market seems to be not the 'real solution' either. I really wonder what people have against Marx. Whatever Marx said is absolutely right. The real solution has to come from communism as Capitalism is losing ground because of the hoarding nature of human beings. We live in groups and community solutions are the real solutions for us. Anyways. It is a brilliant learning experience. Watch it if you wanna learn.

Racist Yes but involving, 28 May 2008

There are 3 stories in the film. A Bedouin boy mowed down by Jewish truck drivers, A German wife trying to runaway from her Bedouin husband and a Bedouin man involuntarily gets involved as a mute party to an extramarital affair between his Jew boss and an Arabs domestic help which ends up in community clash.

All three stories are very well executed. First story is about 10 minutes and leaves a question in your mind if thats possible. I personally don't buy it but its a work of fiction so its fine. Also message sent is good. Second is pretty good too. Its very optimistic. A German wife in veil and a Bedouin husband. Pretty involving and very well shot. Third is probably the best in the lot. I don't really understand the Social aspect between Jews and Bedouins but as a story its pretty interesting.

Acting, Camera and speed is good. If you like short stories then watch it. Highly recommended.

It takes a generation to clear up the load., 20 May 2008

Two tribes come together for a reconciliation. Two men can't party if they have killed each other's sons.

Message of the film is 'peace'. The whole thing is done in a very slow speed so to be able to narrate more and more atrocities. Frankly you get tired when you see the same thing or hear the same thing again and again in a film but in here director had a complete vision of the story. She new that each story of atrocity was adding to the tension and building up the climax. Climax is done beautifully. Whole experience has left me with a bitter taste. This probably is one of the most violent film. One of those flick where camera, actors, locales don't matter a penny. You are glued because of the story. Still Brilliant performances by females actors.

Films like these leaves you thinking and you learn your own lessons. Leasson I learnt is that there are issues which can't be reconciled by the same people who made the issue. Like caste system in India or apartheid in western world. It takes a whole new generation to see the issue from a new point of view. So it is important to either not create the issue at all or wait for the slow process to take its own time. Very honest cinema.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]