praetoriansecret

Over Rated, 12 July 2009

I really don't understand the huge amount of praise this show got (and still continues to get here on IMDb) The show was certainly a fun way to waste an hour, but in no way did it ever rise above the level of being predictable. The time travel notion was never explained, the characters were weak (and in the case of his wife, insufferably annoying) and when you take into account the sheer number of far superior shows out there with better ideas, it really is no shocker that it was cancelled. I can't really blame Kevin Mckidd for this, He did the best he could with the scripts he was given, but over all, I expected a lot more from the man who starred in Dog Soldiers and Rome.

Best Of The Season, 1 February 2008

This episode, in my opinion, is one of the best of the season, and possibly the whole series. Featuring a perfectly cast Tiffani Amber Theissen (who has also made this bitchy type of role her own on Beverley Hills 90210) guest starring as Amy, A ruthless and beautiful wannabe journalist who applies for the job of Maya's assistant. needless to say, the ever conservative Maya hates the way Amy uses her sexuality to get ahead, and hostility quickly arrises, leading to an unusual showdown after hours, which only Dennis is lucky enough to witness. The episode and the whole series in general is a fine example of the wit and pace sorely missing from the majority of today's television comedy.

Avoid like the plague!, 10 September 2005

I had high hopes for this movie. But, alas, it disappointed. The story begins, much as many others, featuring teens in the woods, so we already know this isn't going to touch on anything new. But, very soon, the action, and gore, become secondary, as the characters go out of their way to do the most ridiculous, and unrealistic, things. Of course, this being a horror film (or at least attempting to be one), the unrealistic is common. However, films such as "Evil Dead" and especially the recent update of "Dawn of the Dead", have proved how well a film with an initially clichéd storyline, can be woven into a classic. Unfortunately this film has not, opting instead to go with cheap shocks, mundane special effects, and incredibly wooden acting.