r-c-s

Page 1 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

good, relaxing movie, 26 October 2009

This follows in the steps of many Japanese monster movies, involving construction workers (but it could be other people) who accidentally discover some magic stone (in this case: a statue in a cave) or other relic that invariably is linked to some monster or prophecy (in this case, both). Other clichés of monster movies return: the 007/Bond angle (monkey space invaders in disguise in a high-tech underground base ), the Mosura angle ( the sympathetic monster of the movie, king Caesar, must be summoned by a singing princess ).

A cave with mysterious paintings is found; inside it lays a small statue, which is the key to a mysterious prophecy involving one monster setting out to destroy the world, and two good monsters to fight back.

The statue is also coveted by a series of mysterious individuals, appearing in the end as interpol agents and space invaders.

A new monster, King Caesar, appears in its native island of Okinawa and teams up with Godzilla to defeat the first mechagodzilla.

A nice movie overall, with a few clichés angles that I am well aware used to be in the air at the time...and short 1h10m. Acting isn't bad for this kind of movie, but nothing worth mentioning...SFX are rather weak.

I like it, but it goes down the drain., 18 September 2009

I generally love these 1930 mystery/police Charlie Chan type of movies, and this is no exception. However, something seems bad with this movie. A late attempt to switch from cerebral Moto movies centered around the plot contrivances to a salad bar spoilt by comedy relief that is as relieving as sore feet. A typecast buffoon appears from nowhere impersonating a clumsy Englishman who plays the detective, and even other characters seem entangled into providing comedy relief. The plot may seem odd or a bare excuse to us today, but back then the possibility of epochal archaeological discoveries was not only real, but a commonplace occurrence.

Van Damme meets WWE, 20 April 2009

This mediocre movie's sets mostly remind me of the cheapest WWE "sport entertainment"; people supposed to be killing machines look and act more like WWE/WWF freaks from the 1980s. The storyline is ridiculous: undercover police chief ( say Steve Martin gets balls ) and rat-faced latino heel blackmail bunch of well-meaning fighters into a sting operation to bust a murderous ring whose henchman is a 150kg, 1m55 Chinese steroid Michelin Man whose looks make Bolo Yeung look like Alain Delon in his best days, go figure. This movie tries to copy here & there to look larger than life...the latino heel, a horse faced, long haired fighter who probably was thought to imitate the cheap Lorenzo Lamas flicks of the late 80s...Zabka plays the cute boy ala Van Damme...the movie fails on all but one respect: fight scenes make up most of it and the filler (acting, storyline, character development...) is kept to a bare minimum. Nice to see Bolo Yeung and shame he got so little screen time.

one of the best juvenile movies from the 1980s, 12 February 2009

With NAVIGATOR this is the BEST juvenile/escapist movie of the 1980s. What can I say, I just watched it once as it first aired decades ago, but still had positive memories and thus watched it again a few days ago. I bet the scenes inspired tripe like Harry Potter (juveniles chasing mysteries in old English school settings, eh?). Atmosphere is good, acting excellent, SFX very good (Era/genre wise ). Of course it is a bit of a salad bar mixing Indiana Jones, E.T. Gremlins and other 1980s motifs (the underground temple scene clearly imitates Conan the barbarian)...much as in the NEVERENDING STORY you get a funny man trying to fly... Plot contrivances abound and are well thought of.

Near Dark (1987)
innovative, 12 February 2009

Well, after the classic vampires Peter Cushing exorcised...dark gentlemen riding horses in Victorian times...we get 1. Vampire splatters when the vampire motif is barely a vehicle for litres of SFX fluids oozing and exploding from everywhere, but it might be cannibals from Mars for all we know. 2. Blade/Underworld vampires...basically a high tech version of Al-Quaeda equipped with the latest buzz technology and- in Underworld- dressing what, Gothic Prada and riding Lamborghini?! 3. LOST BOYS and NEAR DARK are the third ( and best ) option. Near Dark is a sub-urban travelogue in which vampire rednecks roam dirty suburbias driving wrecked vehicles while feeding on other rednecks. The atmosphere is great...not too pretentious and that's why it delivers; one iota of philosophy but not too much...baggage ala Underworld tends to be boring and anyways it was copied from BLADE. It am amazed that Jenny Wright did not skyrocket to stardom given her solid performance...or rather...why was't she propelled to stardom by the same babe-magnet producers who propelled less worthy individuals such as Sharon Stone? A real shame...

very good movie, 24 January 2009

This movie once again proves that gooey SFX and billions of budget are not necessary to produce a good suspense/horror movie. In the 1930s scientist (as it was all the rage back then ) travels to Himalaya to harvest a mysterious flower, but he ends up fighting a mysterious creature. Back home, he grows his newly acquired flower while an array of characters pivot around social gatherings and other time-killing pastimes. Mysteriously appears exotic dr. Yogami, a pensive character who wants to find a cure for lycanthropy and his trophy wife's former beau ( a silly prat with Erroll Flynn mustaches ). Yogami poses as disinterested philanthropist...but is he? The scientist soon discovers he's contracted lycanthropy in China, but has the story ended in China? The flower of his rare flower can temporarily offset the attacks, but flower buds are stolen and people start dying...even when dr. Glendon isn't around... Hull portrays the scientist torn between science, his wife, survival and the bestial cravings his illness instills in a very convincing manner. Oland is also good as dr.Yogami. The rest of the cast isn't worth mentioning...Hobson as Lisa is very pretty. SFX are good era and genre wise and plot contrivances are excellent.

modest value but still worth watching, 23 January 2009

Well, as many 'documentaries', I think it's well-worth watching, but its value (compared with L'OEIL DE VICHY) is modest. Basically it's a salad bar of interviews, while L'OEIL DE VICHY is assembled stock footage with minimal comments. I can assemble a salad bar of interviews to make anything look good or bad...the 'christian-sponsored' GODS OF THE NEW AGE documentary makes Hindu religions look like scheming and blood-thirsty cults, with the usual paraphernalia of renegades and former worshipers who just saw the light and want to save others from committing the same mistake... Here we have a former French SS volunteer who's embarrassed by his past and he's now a liberal...he makes it sound as if non-German SS volunteers had been begged to join and had worn the SS uniform with shame, finding its mythology pathetic. Now that may cut it for the armchair quarterbacks who just care about boarding the winner's wagon...but unless people were considered full-stock Germans (E.G Dutch, Norwegians ), they had to do a lot of extra paperwork, beg and plead to join the SS, an already burdensome procedure. As UNREPENTANT Belgian fascist leader Léon Degrelle explains in another documentary (watch DEGRELLE FACE ET REVERS), he was volunteering on the Eastern Front with Wehrmacht (army) and had to patiently and relentlessly lobby to join the Waffen SS (which had but the name in common with SS ). Why? Because -right or wrong- SS were considered the elite and he wanted front seat tickets to the after-war winner's club: just the army wouldn't cut it: awful? Insane? I can't say, but probably just what most post-WWII filmmakers do. Degrelle was honest, so I think this Frenchman isn't. There is a Vichy (fascist regime) minister who pretends he had been outraged when Pierre Laval (Vichy's prime minister; spelled Pierre Awol in the credits! ) had declared he wished Germany'd win. We also listen to a former Communist leader oozing delight sharing memories of terrorist attacks against unsuspecting Germans...while a German army officer is asked why does he wear his war medals (which were a miniature version you needed binoculars to see, anyways ), because most prefer not to wear them as they came from the Nazis. Reporters are clearly biased...a British official voices his country's concern over Degaulle's status of illegitimate government -opposed to an exiled but legitimate government- and the slimy reporter retorts that had to be just a way to finger point and condemn the Vichy regime further. We now know that Churchill corresponded heavily with Mussolini well into 1945 contemplating to turn tables on the USSR (the famous 'wrong pig' attitude ). It is also funny how Germany and Japan fought to the last man and typically serve as example of fanaticism, while in this movie self-proclaimed Jewish-French statesman MENDES-France calls basically everyone an appeaser or a traitor for not fighting farther... Funny also how, besides the excited aging Communist leader, other 'freedom fighters' disclaim they ever killed anybody and that MAQUIS was NOT used to 'settle' personal disputes barred the few rotten apples...my family tells me a different story, but different stories won't go on film, right? Moral dilemmas? Madeleine Albright once declared on TV that losses among Iraqi children "I think this is a very hard choice, but the price--we think the price is worth it."...I didn't see any mob of self-righteous good people storming government buildings...but I saw the clip has been gently 'put away' by various sites... Albright later complained the evil deeds of the Iraqi regime hadn't been properly introduced in the interview to give her reply proper perspective. The movie is thus a modest movie to be taken with a grain of salt: my German is only average, but subtitles only translated the portion of the speech that served the slimy filmmaker's interest best.

pile of dung, 16 January 2009

Well well well... Everybody who has watched the anime knows that the authors "copied" their characters from real-life people...Ken from Stallone (say in Cobra); general Falco from WWF wrestler 'rugged' Ronnie Garvin; the 'nanto hawks' from wrestlers Powers of Pain; thug Zeta from wrestler Zeuss (he even got the Z on the bald head in the anime etc )... In the cartoon Julia is a celtic beauty with reddish hair (the last part of the series)... Here we have mestizos with slanted eyes... Many fight scenes look like a bad Van Damme movie and the 'Okuto' high-speed, close range hits look more like metro-sexual guys cat fighting than otherwise. Daniels might be the next Bruce Lee for all I know, and PROBABLY knows his moves since he's been a pro, but in this movie he's worst than most C grade Hong Kong movies. The rest of characters aren't worth mentioning. SFX are very mediocre barren a couple.

one of the best Chan movies, 15 January 2009

In my opinion this compares favourably to the best Chan movies. Of course one has to like the stereotypical device of rounding up many suspects to entrap the culprit, but this one has a simple yet solid plot line that unfolds nicely, is entangled but not confused like say the 'Olympics' movie is, in which conclusions literally fall from the sky. Heir to a fortune comes back after a long stay abroad in the French foreign legion only to be murdered while his relatives and ancillary characters (administrators, accountants, housekeepers etc ) gather to get in touch with spirits, the family's hobby...it turns out everybody would have something to loose from the heir's return, but the culprit is not whom we may expect at first sight. Acting serves the purpose well and the eerie atmosphere is nice. There is no 'number son' bit, which to me is quite a relief, while the comedy moment is provided by a clumsy butler who grimaces all the time. 1930s top-notch science returns when a UV projector is used, and the 'fake medium' bit will be copied nearly verbatim in the Houdini movie with Tony Curtis.

mediocre but mildly entertaining, 12 January 2009

This movie (which I watched many times ) lays on the thin line between mediocre and entertaining... It gets LOTS of stock footage and stock ideas as well...underground savages like those on Mothra's island decide to strike back and punish humans who toy with underground nuclear explosions...again the nuclear scare, this time spiced up with the 'French' element of underground explosions... A man, his child brother (it's a brother, not a son ) and an adult friend relax at lakeside when the silly child almost goes under while he's driving some floating, idiotic toy contraption shaped as a big fish, on which he sits astride, and two smaller fishes on the side that rotate to propel the horrible thing...well, OK...if I was 8 I'd probably die to get one. The man is a scientist who has built a Ultraman kind of robot; yet henchmen from the underground kingdom steal it to serve as a guide for their giant insect/guardian and avenger Megalon, summoned by a white guy and a few Japanese girls in bikini wearing a trench coat made of condoms. The rest is a wobbly mixture of car chases, poorly filmed indoor fight scenes and men in rubber suit wresting one another... My copy had quite a few scenes with VERY poor lightning. The pseudoscience in the movie makes no sense because the robot can choose to act intelligently by free will...or revert to a dumb, remotely controlled puppet...it can also grow in size to match Megalon's...all the more because its programs come on perforated strips in perfect 70s fashion. Acting is very negligible and the annoying child takes too much screen time...watch out when they knock an henchman down crashing a toy airplane into his face.

SFX are extremely mediocre and you clearly see that when Godzilla bashes Megalon it's often an EMPTY suit.

Page 1 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]