g404c

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

A Trusted Man (2011) (TV)
entertaining thriller, 20 February 2012

This movie underscores a potential pitfall of dating a police officer. Sonia (Charisma Carpenter) accepts a new position in her company that requires her to move from New York to Boston. Her boyfriend, Tom (Dylan Neal), a police officer, does not want her to move, but Sonia moves anyway.

While in Boston, Sonia meets a handsome art gallery owner (I think his name is Sebastian, played by Nicholas Lea), and she sees him as a possible romantic interest. But Tom is not having any of this, and what Tom wants, Tom gets. I'll leave it at that.

None of my review reveals any crucial plot elements, as all of this is evident to the viewer from the start of the movie. Charisma Carpenter dutifully plays the heroine/victim, and Dylan Neal easily fits the mold of the jealous, controlling, crazy boyfriend. The scenes with Charisma Carpenter and Gemma Martini (the actress who plays her therapist in the film) are very good and are mostly believable. Worth watching if you like these types of movies. This premiered on LMN last night. If you like a movie with this type of theme, you might also want to check out Tall, Dark And Deadly (1995).

Perfect Plan (2010) (TV)
well written thriller, 21 February 2011

Perfect Plan is a well written thriller about a real estate agent, Lauren Baker (played by Emily Rose), who scores a superb listing from a wealthy brother and sister (Lucas Bryant, Cristina Rosato) in an upscale Chicago neighborhood. Lauren expects to earn a huge commission, and the transaction goes off without a hitch. The next morning, she reads the newspaper and is jolted by what she learns. I'll leave it at that because I do not want to give anything away.

This is a slick mystery/thriller that occasionally has a subtle neo-noir feel. All of the actors play it nicely and it was worth my time. Perfect Plan premiered on Lifetime Movie Network (LMN) last night.

A masterpiece, 9 July 2010

Touched with Fire is a more current version of a 1950s Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode titled, "Shopping for death", though I do believe Ray Bradbury is the original author. Touched with Fire is about two former insurance salesmen who now take notice of people they feel are likely to be murdered, and they try to get the "murderee" to realize s/he may be a target. This is not revealing any crucial plot points, as this is evident from the beginning of the episode.

Mrs. Shrike (beautiful performance from Eileen Brennan) is noticed by the two former salesmen Mr. Foxe and Mr. Shaw (played by Barry Morse and Joseph Shaw, respectively) amidst a big city summer heat wave that threatens to reach 102 degrees. These variables create a nice blend of suspense and humor in this episode.

The dialog between Morse and Shaw is top notch and the performances and interactions from every actor in this episode is spot on. Also, the overall atmosphere was shaped so that it captures the essence of big city life in the latter part of the 20th century. Highly recommended episode.

one of the best episodes of the series, 10 February 2010

The Lonely One is one of my favorite episodes of The Ray Bradbury Theater. The episode is about a murderer dubbed "The Lonely One" who is responsible for a string of killings in a small town. No one knows the actual identity of the murderer, and so some of the residents are suspicious of the other residents. One woman, Lavinia (played to perfection by actress Joanna Cassidy), is determined not to let the atmosphere of fear interrupt her daily life. A free spirit, she convinces two of her friends (Maggie Harper and Sheila McCarthy) to go to the movies with her one night, even as another murder just occurred...I'll leave it at that.

Some of the camera-work and overall "feel" to this episode reminds me of the movie, Halloween, a little bit. Many of the episodes from this series (including this one) capture the essence of small town charm and simple living. There is plenty of suspense here, and it is really just a lot of fun to watch.

Fun, 22 September 2008

Marilu Henner gives an over-the-top performance in The Governor's Wife, which I caught on LMN last night. The movie is very predictable to the extent that the viewer can clearly differentiate the "good guys and the bad guys" within the first few minutes. But, that is not important. This thriller is more fun than anything and it is basically just an easy way to pass the time when you want to veg out.

Henner is the "the Governor's wife" and she makes the most out of the character. In summary, when the Governor is murdered, Henner summons her son (played by Matt Keeslar) and his fiancé (Emily Bergl) from LA to Santa Barbara. Henner and Bergl instantly clash. Meanwhile, a series of murders take place, all somehow connected to the deceased Governor.

I like movies like this--they are fun, easy on the eyes and don't take much energy to stay engaged. There are some beautiful exterior shots of LA and Southern California. All the acting is pretty much credible except for some outlandish moments but they are more fun than annoying. Henner looks great. Worth a look if you have nothing else to do.

Atmospheric Mystery, 22 June 2008

This is probably one of the best LMN movies I have seen--it was much better than I expected--an atmospheric, Gothic mystery. Sara Rue stars as Courtney, a writer who accepts a teaching position at a prestigious boarding school where she herself attended 17 years ago. Upon arrival, strange occurrences happen, particularly when Courtney sees Laurel (outstanding performance from Jacqueline MacInnes Wood of The Bold and the Beautiful), a student who is identical to Courtney's best friend who died years ago.

Just about everything about Nightmare at the End of the Hall works, and works well. Rue and McInnes Wood were great casting choices, with Kavan Smith, Sebastian Gacki, and Amber Borycki turning in capable and credible performances. The lighting, locations, and sets lend to the overall mood of the film. This premiered on LMN tonight.

The Watch (2008) (TV)
Ultra Creepy, 2 March 2008

The Watch premiered on LMN tonight, and it is one of the creepiest movies I have ever seen on this channel. It is also excellent. Clea DuVall is Cassie, a graduate student who accepts a position as a fire lookout in a watch tower for one month by her lonesome. During this month of essentially total seclusion surrounded by miles and miles of vast forest, she will finish her thesis. At least that is the plan...

This TV movie is truly chilling. DuVall is an exquisite casting choice--her acting chops are top notch and it shows. Hunky James A. Woods is also quite good here, and Elizabeth Whitmere is realistic in the best friend role to DuVall. Scenic locations, a sharp score, and solid pacing elevate this flick above some other made-for-TV movies of late. Check it out if you happen upon it.

Voices (2008) (TV)
Atypical TV mystery movie, 20 January 2008

A Near Death Experience does not come off in the typical vein like a majority of TV movies, which is what makes its viewing somewhat refreshing.

Amy Acker is the top talent in this LMN flick, with Johanna Nutter and James A. Woods (among others) ably embodying the supporting characters. Acker is Ellie, a woman who has the "near death experience" from the get-go. After awakening in the hospital, she soon realizes she brought something back with her from her brush with death...something that frightens her and simultaneously lends her power to get people heard...dead people, that is.

I do not normally give much credence to these type of scenarios, but I must concede the movie got me thinking and wondering what I would do and how I would feel in this situation. A gratifying effort from LMN. 7/10

Devil's Diary (2007) (TV)
Decent Thriller, 22 September 2007

Alexz Johnson, Magda Apanowicz, and Deanna Casaluce head off a competent cast in Devil's Diary, which premiered on Lifetime Movie Network tonight. When two high school girls (Johnson and Apanowicz) inadvertently stumble upon an evil diary (in a cemetery no less!), one of them becomes increasingly obsessed with getting revenge on their nasty classmates once she learns the diary can make things happen...very bad things.

I enjoyed this movie--it held my attention by and large, though I did grow tired of hearing, "the book" repeated over and over. Plus, there is one totally gross scene. Otherwise, it is pretty fun. Somewhat typical high school scenario with the "popular" kids putting down any one else they desire. All of the actors do a great job and the atmosphere and scenery dovetail with the story. Check it out. 7/10

First Born (2007)
Gripping..., 19 August 2007

I caught First Born on LMN last night. Elisabeth Shue is Laura, a dancer living in New York with her husband, Steven (Steven Mackintosh), a wealthy businessman. When Laura learns she is pregnant, Steven pushes for them to move out of the city to an isolated, gargantuan mansion in the distant suburbs. Once they move in, Steven continues to work in the city, and Laura is left alone in the new home during the day. Not long after settling in, Laura begins experiencing strange occurrences, and she becomes increasingly frightened. Things take a turn for the worse once she gives birth.

This gripping mystery premiered on LMN yesterday, and I enjoyed it very much. Most of the movie keeps the viewer guessing, and the locations only add to the creepy, dark atmosphere. Shue looks great, and plays her part convincingly. Worth a look if you happen upon it.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]