Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Double Cross (2006) (TV)
for Yancy Butler fans, 8 March 2006

Yancy Butler is Kathy, a Chicago woman who suspects her husband (William deVry) is cheating on her. Laura Soltis is Sheryl, a woman who also suspects her husband (Bruce Boxleitner) is cheating on her. The two friends get together one afternoon to vent about their cheating husbands or so Kathy thinks, but Sheryl seems to have other ideas. After much alcohol is consumed, Kathy jokingly agrees to kill Sheryl's husband for her. But she truly only meant it as a joke. Sheryl is not joking though, and she sees this as an opportunity to get rid of her sleazy husband once and for all. Barbara Niven also stars. This is Butler's movie--she is very beautiful and realistic here. Niven is effective as the best friend/attorney, and deVry is very charming in his role as Butler's husband. This nicely done Canadian production is worth watching if you come across it. Premiered on Lifetime this week.

the way it should be, 2 March 2006

Final Destination 3 was so well done I could not take my eyes off the screen. This is the way horror/thrillers should be. I have not enjoyed a movie in this genre this much since I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997). Final Destination 3 stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Ryan Merriman, Jesse Moss, Gina Holden, Kris Lemche, Texas Battle, Chelan Simmons, Crystal Lowe, and Alex Johnson. All mentioned did a fantastic job, as well as the rest of the cast. I recognized Lemche (so cute!) and Moss from Ginger Snaps. I do not want to give anything away, but I will summarize this much: The movie starts out with a fatal premonition by Winstead concerning a roller-coaster ride at an amusement park. This sets off a chain of events that leads to the deaths of several people.

A lot of the actors here are very beautiful and hot! The death scenes were creative, and the overall movie was intelligent. Simmons and Lowe are hilarious, and the movie in general has just the right mix of comedy to complement the horror. As I write this review, I will disclose I have not seen FD1 or FD2, but if they are anything like this one, I will be sure to check them out. A fun night at the movies. 10/10

not bad, 28 February 2006

The Suspect is a watchable thriller that premiered on Lifetime last night. It stars Jamie Luner as Beth, a woman wrongly accused of murdering her husband, Paul (Adrian Hough). Even her stepdaughter (Taylor Anne Reid) does not believe Beth is innocent, initially. An insurance investigator, Jerry (Christian Bocher) gives her the benefit of the doubt and together they work to find Paul's real killer. The twist at the end of the film made it worth watching.

Jamie Luner is in good form as usual, and honorable mention goes to Christian Bocher, who's character is likable and credible. The Suspect is nicely done and I would say it is satisfying for Jamie Luner fans. Not bad. 8/10

Officer Down (2005) (TV)
gritty crime thriller, 27 February 2006

Someone is killing L.A.'s major drug dealers, and anyone else who gets in the way. Officer Down stars Sherilyn Fenn as an officer with the LAPD who realizes the problem may be much closer than she ever thought.

Fenn is good, and Casper Van Dien has an almost angelic look here, but in an evil way. Definitely some polished actors present, as Ted Shackelford (Knots Landing) and Larry Drake (L.A. Law) are cast. The newer talent is also quite good, with Jordan Roberts and James Patric Moran giving memorable performances. Jerry Kroll (Second to Die) is a good actor and I hope to see him in more projects. Great shots of Los Angeles and Hollywood.

The scariest thing about Officer Down is that it makes police corruption look all too plausible. This gritty film premiered on Lifetime last summer, and the opening sequence had me hooked. Worth a look. 9/10

Bad Seed (2000)
interesting thriller, 23 February 2006

Bad Seed (listed as Preston Tylk on IMDb) stars Luke Wilson as Preston Tylk, a man who's wife, Emily (Mili Avital) admits to him she had an affair. Devastated, Preston storms out of the house only to return later to find his wife dead. Teaming up with a shady, but compassionate detective named Dick (Dennis Farina), Preston works to clear his name and find his wife's true killer.

This thriller is also a tale about friendship and having compassion for others, as can be seen in the relationship between Preston and Dick. Wilson and Farina shine here, both giving quality performances. Norman Reedus also stars as Jonathan, and he does a nice job. There are many twists throughout Bad Seed, and the action is virtually continuous. The Tacoma location adds the right atmosphere to the somber story. Highly recommended.

quite good, 22 February 2006

When Strangers Appear takes elements from other movies I really like, and combines them to make a really good movie. My only criticism is the sometimes choppy pace, but otherwise this is quite good. Radha Mitchell stars as Beth, a woman who runs a diner in some sparse and isolated Oregon town near the beach. When Jack (Barry Watson) storms in her diner one morning claiming he is on the run from three men, she does not know whether he is telling the truth or if he is a lunatic. The three men show up and complicate things as one of the men, Peter (Josh Lucas), takes an interest in Beth. As the film proceeds, Beth finds herself caught up in the conflict between Jack and the three men and she is unsure of the intentions of any of them.

This movie reminds me a little of The Hitcher, as both films are set in isolated areas, have few characters, and have some similar happenings. The score (like in The Hitcher) is more than effective, and the soundtrack is not half bad. Mitchell, Lucas and Watson are the leads and they do a tremendous job. When Strangers Appear has some good visuals too, as the landscapes are beautiful and lush. See this one if you get a chance.

above average made-for-TV movie, 14 February 2006

Excellent job. Flirting With Danger stars the sexy James Thomas as Rafe, a man who's best friend just died of a heart attack. He meets beautiful Laura (Charisma Carpenter) at his friend's funeral and they become involved. All seems fine until Rafe notices that other people, mainly men, are dying in the same way his friend did. There are just too many coincidences and now he suspects foul play. There are many suspects in this one and most of them appear to be connected to an interior design firm. Rafe and his life-long cop friend Gloria (Victoria Sanchez) investigate and Rafe finds himself threatened.

The climax is very good. Flirting With Danger is better than many TV movies I have seen lately. James Thomas is the star here, and Charisma Carpenter and most of the actors were benevolent. Something I noticed about this movie was virtually all of the cast was very beautiful. Many of the characters were very sexy and sensual. You can tell this movie had a decent budget and the producers made the most of it. Very glamorous characters dress in designer clothes, drive luxury convertibles and all live in luxurious homes. This is a fun movie with a good plot. 10/10

Dead Husbands (1998) (TV)
watchable, 13 February 2006

Last Man On The List stars Nicollette Sheridan as Alexandra, an upscale married Manhattan socialite who decides she is bored with her husband (John Ritter). She does not know what to do about her unhappy marriage until she meets some women who eventually disclose that they are involved in a chain-letter type of list which contains names of husbands to be killed.

This movie is certainly watchable and has a nice score. Nicollette Sheridan looks great (has she ever had a bad hair day?!) and Sonja Smits, Donna Pescow, and Amy Yasbeck all give nice performances. John Ritter is effective here. This is slightly above average made-for-TV fare, and a decent way to pass the time. 7/10

Cry_Wolf (2005)
good, 10 February 2006

Cry_Wolf is a good movie about a boy, Owen (Julian Morris), who transfers to an elite private school. There, he meets Dodger (Lindy Booth) and other teens who play manipulative games with each other for fun. Things get out of control when a game they invent becomes realized.

I liked this better than some of the other horror movies I have seen in the last year, although it still could have been better. There were times that the movie seemed a little too low-budget, but that also seemed to add to it at other times. Cry_Wolf has a lot of twists and turns to it, but it held my attention to the end. Morris and Booth gave memorable performances, and Jesse Janzen did a real nice job as the character, Randall. Recommended. 8/10

Birth (2004)
strange story, 10 February 2006

Birth is a strange tale of a beautiful woman, Anna (Nicole Kidman), who has become engaged to the suave, handsome Joseph (Danny Huston). At her mother's (Lauren Bacall) birthday party, a child named Sean (Cameron Bright) appears seemingly out of nowhere and ultimately claims he is the reincarnation of Anna's dead husband, who was also named Sean. I do not want to give anything away so I will leave it at that.

I recommend this movie if you are looking for something different. Kidman, Huston and Bacall play their parts very well as upper-class New Yorkers. Huston is quite memorable and very attractive here. Bright does a very nice job, and Anne Heche had some memorable scenes. Heche looked great and her look reminded me of the way she looked from her days on the now-defunct soap, Another World.

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]