HilaryElizabeth9

Page 7 of 9: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Givitn Tort Law a Bad Name. Hrmph., 13 April 2009

One bad apple gives tort law a bad name here in this last episode of Season 3 when the Rolls rear ends a guy whose sole purpose was to get rear ended in the first place. As the guy plays it up big time for the insurance claim, the puppetmaster behind it all (veteran character actor Lawrence Pressman) offs the guy. Special appearance made by an original Pac Man video game. Extra Special appearance by a business card with oodles of interesting personal info on Jonathan Hart. Like that he lives at 3100 Willow Pond Drie, Los Angeles, Ca. 90099. (213) 657-1657 and (213) 654-1654. If you dial those, lemme know how it goes. Best dialogue of the episode --> Jonathan: "The Lieutenant also made it very clear that he didn't want us to be involved in police work. He said if there's something going on that we --" Jennifer: "I know. We should leave it up to the police." Jonathan: "Right." Most interesting, however, is that we appear to have learned Max's last name. The show gets itself into a pickle when they have Max sign for some documents, only to refer to that signature as a plot point later; and that name appears to me to be "Berman." Anyway, Jennifer spends the episode wallowing in guilt. When the Hart's figure out the scam, they send Max in undercover. Of course, while there, he almost gets killed, Harts to the rescue. Not that exciting an episode for the last one of the season.

The gave a shout out to Elijah, just in time for Passover!, 9 April 2009

I'm sure it's just me, but I was kind of bored during this episode about coin collectors until just after the halfway point, Max gives a nice little shout out to the cup of Elijah. Airing on Passover, I think either it was one helluva coincidence, or Chicago's MeTV Channel 23 is very, very clever. Note to them, however, now that you've been very clever giving us a Passover reference episode on Passover, please go back now and show those eight episodes you skipped, including "Hart of Diamonds. OK, so ... here are the fun parts: Several character actors you know you've seen a million times but that you can't really place; a guest spot by Patti Davis, the daughter of our then-President, Ronald Reagan; a bit of a twist I didn't see coming; very nice close-ups of very real coins with very real wear and dates that they'd never show today; the climax on the merry go round was amusing; RJ did a lot of his own stunts in this one. Jennifer's white sweater in the final shot is awesome. Other than that, I really was struggling to pay attention. But extra point for Elijah. Hey, where'd the wine go?

Beautiful, touching episode taking itself very seriously, 8 April 2009

Hart to Hart rarely goes into the serious, sentimental side of things. This one was the exception. And a touchingly beautiful exception it was. After an unusually long, close, and passionate (for the time) bed scene (where Stanley calls but is not seen), the Harts find themselves caring for the family of one of Jonathan's VP's after he dies of a heart attack. Rossie Harris plays his young son who ends up with a slew of top dollar baseball cards that the bad guys want to get their hands on. There is a scene in the Hart's kitchen where Rossie's character is crying, missing his father, and Jonathan comforts him with Jennifer looking on. That scene from first second to last is so touching, so beautifully done in every way, that it took my breath away. RJ positively shines with heart-felt words of comfort for the boy. His voice cracks at one point talking about how it's OK to cry and to grieve. Filmed so close to Natalie Wood's death, I am fairly certain that RJ was speaking from his own heart with his own cracking voice, rather than with that of Jonathan's. And when Jennifer looks on in tears of love and sympathy, she's looking at RJ, not Rossie, and I can't help but wonder just whom it was in that scene, Jennifer for Jonathan, or Stefanie for RJ. From the moment Jonathan enters the scene and lovingly cups the boy's head in his hands and kisses him on the head, I was in tears. Hart to Hart is fun and fluffy and light, but this particular script was beautifully written in every way, perfectly acted, and directed with compelling storytelling. I was so impressed with this episode in every way that I just didn't want to remove it from the tivo. Must acknowledge Rossie Harris for his spot on acting, Donald Ross for the gorgeous script, and Peter Medak for the direction. But in the end, this was RJ's episode to shine, and perhaps find some catharsis.

Spies, Intrigue, and ... the Vulcan Neck Pinch?, 6 April 2009

The guest stars on this one were a hoot. First we've got Peggy Pope as yet another maid. Jack Kruschen plays a guy not afraid to be a good Jewish Maher who references another good Jewish Maher. Awesome! I wasn't so thrilled with Jennifer's line that the guy following them "doesn't look like a Martin; William, maybe, but not a Martin." Dude is black. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, but the line didn't sit well with me. One does get a bit baffled why, after a while, the Harts wouldn't get Wary of strange cars hanging out across the way from their gate. They're always bad guys. Anyway, the most interesting part of this whole episode for me was the use by the main bad guy of some kind of offshoot of the Vulcan Neck Pinch. He reached over to Max did some kind of voodoo behind his ear, and he went down like a Red Shirt. The whole undercover ruse is great, and Jonathan's panic over Jennifer's safety is gold for any Hart to Hart fan. Note: Jonathan plays age 40, more than 10 years younger than RJ is. Which I love. The final climactic scenes remind me a lot of Bachelor Party. And the sexual innuendo all over the place only added to it.

Bottoms Up, 6 April 2009

This one takes place in the midst of the wine industry complete with sommeliers, distributors, and murder. Honestly, I had a hard time following this one, but I still really enjoyed it. Most of the acting was quite good, but I could have done without Lt. Gillis; I know he was a veteran character actor, but I REALLY didn't like this cop. Lt. Grey was a great addition, this guy was buffoony and a terrible detective and, frankly, a bad caricature, not to be taken seriously. Again, I struggled to figure out what the "evil plan" was, but the realistic nature of the wine industry and tasting was fun and well-done. Note to self: One guest star was Mr. Belvedere, and another one was veteran actress Carolyn Seymour, who was a huge Star Trek presence playing a Romulan on Next Gen. Despite her acting skills, all I saw was the Romulan. So, it was like two of my favorite shows at the same time.

They're Getting' the Band Back Together, but This One's No Mission from God., 3 April 2009

I was totally not impressed with this episode. Jonathan's old friend is jamming Dixieland Jazz while Jonathan plays some serious notes on his old, prized possession trumpet. Turns out there are two more to the old band that join them for a gig at a local joint. I was turned off by the condition of the trumpet. I know it's a little thing, it's just a prop, right? No! They make this big megilla of the horn being a special instrument, it used to belong to the main antagonist in this ep, and it's clearly a piece of crap. Not vintage, not character ... crap. Then it gets a dent, and Jonathan doesn't freak. Sorry, if my old clarinet from high school were to get damaged, I'd get mad. On the other hand, I really appreciated how RJ must have really spent a good deal of time trying to get the fingerings to look realistic. They were wrong, no question, but they were good enough, and that took a lot of effort. There's also a great shot of Jennifer taping the performance ... with a cassette tape recorder and microphone! Hahahaha! Then there's the unravelled answer to the mystery, which is actually quite creepy. THAT was good. I wish they'd gotten there a lot sooner -- and I was stumped, so they did a good job there -- and made it more about that plot point and less about the band.

White Knights It Ain't, 1 April 2009

It's been a while, but there was actually a time when the Soviet Union existed as a communist regime and lived behind an iron curtain. And many of our Russian dance companies would come here with the tightest leashes in history to ensure their talent didn't defect. In this episode, we're at the heart of the ballet world where a Russian company is in LA to do a premiere show. Of course, there's a defector in the midst, but first there's a murder to solve. The episode opens on Jennifer amongst a company of ballet dancers taking direction at the barre. And Stefanie exemplifies yet another one of her multi-talents. I wasn't blown away by this one, but I was impressed by a few things, including the ballet numbers by real Russian and American ballet dancers, and the two fun as hell dance numbers by J&J. The first one was RJ doing a totally indulgent Singin' in the Rain thing, which was pretty entertaining. Then the kicker has the three of them doing a vaudeville number. For absolutely no reason at all whatsoever. Which was fine by me! But ya know what I really loved? Lionel Stander was blacklisted during the McCarthy era, and at the very end of this episode, they opened the kicker with a closeup so close that if it were shot in HD we'd see every tiny little whisker in his 5-o'clock shadow. Don't tell me that little "up yours McCarthy, see I DID work again" was a coincidence.

That's One Losing Bet!, 31 March 2009

This was a fantastic episode. A million interesting guest stars, plus real emotional acting, it was awesome, even if it was all part of yet another undercover operation :-). The episode opens with the fact that the Harts have a new headboard. Out is the satin padded jobber, in is the Asian-inspired black wood. Terribly important, isn't it? An old girlfriend calls and hangs up on Jonathan, and J&J proceed to have a very fun conversation in bed about the people they dated. So confident in their love for each other that these conversations are fun and amusing for them, not a bit of jealousy. Then then a series of events take place leading the Harts to get into quite the public fight. But was it real or was in Memorex? What follows is a really well-done, well-acted, well-written romp thru the streets of LA. And the guest stars were really outstanding. Not a stinker in the bunch, even the very small roles. BLOOPER ALERT, Jennifer clearly has no ink on her fingers in the car, even though it was specifically referenced by Jonathan just a minute earlier. We get an appearance by Deanne and Detective Grey. What, no Stanley?! I miss that guy. Ah well. Also interesting is the real society columnist of the time, George Christy, as well as Alana Stewart. We also get some pictures from J&J's wedding, as well as a shot of nuns on bicycles being knocked down. Not too convincing on either part, but that's OK, this episode's a 10, anyway!

The Case of the Disappearing Room, 31 March 2009

Une autre chambre disparaît! The first episode as I've rewatched these so far that seems to repeat a storyline. J&J have dealings in a friend's room in a hotel on the Frech countryside, and the next day all evidence that the room or their friend ever existed disappears. Just like when Jennifer was in the hospital and a whole hospital room disappeared. Hmm. OK, well, anyway, this is a very watchable episode with average dialogue but great deliveries from all the actors. There is a nice shot of the (now defunct) Concorde, and the whole ep is shot on location in France. Wish I knew where, as the hotel is clearly real. Much of the cast is French, which was cool to see, and one of the minor roles was given to one of the regular stunt guys ("Francois"). Some great little things from Stefanie in this episode as she moves Jonathan's arm off of her in bed with a loving pat on the hand. Fun little Easter Egg, while in bed, Jennifer is reading Agatha Christie's "At Bertram's Hotel." About a murder at a hotel. While they're at a hotel where there's about to be a murder. Heh. They're starting to show these out of order, which does not make me all that happy; hoping the episodes between the last one shows, which was "Harts under Glass" and this one get back on track!

This Germaphobe Way Pre-Dates Howie and His Fist Bump, 28 March 2009

Very interesting episode. First thing I noticed was yet another episode -- the third -- that made very blatant reference to the the need for animals to be free, protected, and conserved. It was fascinating. Definitely William Holden must have passed away shortly before these eps. Next, I was blown away by the amount of backstory they gave away on Jennifer. A whole lot of expository stuff in the first scenes about just who Jennifer is. Born on a small horse farm in Maryland in 1949 to Suzanne & Steven, undergrad at Vassar and Smith where she majored in languages. Expert skier, sailor, and several cracks at the major peaks in Europe & the Himalayas. Just WOW. The stunts in this one were really well-done when Jennifer is kidnapped to become part of an eccentric germaphobe's "collection" of rare and exquisite things. It's the first time I've seen RJ look genuinely shaken up after one of Jonathan's "tussle's." The direction here was excellent. And the acting from absolutely everyone, every guest star, everyone was wonderful. Jennifer cries some real tears in this one, and Jonathan is genuinely spooked; I especially liked his scene in the park with the girl. And Max gets a nice set of scenes, too. The sound editing in this one more than makes up or the atrociousness of the magic episode. I love these guys, but let's be honest, there were eps they seemed to be phoning it in; this was not one of them. Even with the badly redressed hallway, I just loved this so much. I give it a 10!

Page 7 of 9: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]