HilaryElizabeth9

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

No one dies in this one!, 13 May 2009

This is the beginning of shows with Jennifer's unfortunate mullet. Oh, Stefanie, why'd you let them do that to you? What makes it worse is that a good number of shots within the same scene are of the old haircut, so you're flipping from one to the next to back again. Eep! So, anyway, this one's about a set of art forgers. Of course, they hit the houses in the Hart's neighborhood, including the Hart's house. This one's not that interesting. It's certainly entertaining, but it's not that memorable. Neighborhood location shots, but also small commuter airport shots, as well. Good fight scenes. Interestingly, this may be the first episode where no one dies? I had to really think about it, but sure enough, no one ends up dead, here. I seriously don't know of another episode where not even one person died. It was kind of refreshing!

We've Got a Psychopath on our Hands, 13 May 2009

This one is so well-done. One of the best in suspense, creativity, writing, direction, sound editing, the works. Whatever creative snafus they were going thru this season, this episode was a diamond. Mimi Rogers plays a nutjob stalker that believes she has a relationship with Jonathan after a random encounter in a restaurant. She is absolutely fabulous in this role. Eventually, everyone remotely involved with Jonathan becomes a purposeful interloper between her and him. Unfortunately, Jonathan's new secretary, is played by the very good Jill Andre. I say unfortunately, because we won't be seeing her a second time. I am happy to report, however, that at least she used her seat belt. BLOOPER ALERT --> About 29 minutes in, Stefanie corrects her stride to make it easier to walk while holding RJ's arm. Lyman Ward stops by for his second of four stints as Lt. Draper, and he's actually really good. He's the straightest cop they've had as a B-character so far. Mimi plays crazy stalker very well, and whomever dressed both Mimi and anything remotely connected to her in red did a fabulous job. Red lipstick, red clothes, red bed linens, a zillion lit red candles, bleeding, red, red, rare prime rib, red wine, red nail polish. This is also the rare episode where we see someone smoking a real cigarette. So weird to see such a thing after all these years. Shows that while H2H stands up to time quite well, things like this bring you back to the early '80's quickly. The climactic sequence at the end is unbelievably good, especially Stefanie and Mimi. Big kudos to Art Directors Ross Bellah and James J. Agazzi, costumers Grady Hunt and Diana Reynolds, set decorators Audrey Blasdel-Goddard and James I. Colburn, and especially Director Karen Arthur. Perfection.

How They Met. It was Murder. And Fabulous., 12 May 2009

Oh, do I remember this one. This is the one where J&J meet for the first time. Filmed on location in London, it's spectacular in every way. The film quality of the opening and parts of the episode are somewhat lacking, but quite forgivable for the entire rest of the entire everything. Guess that about says it, huh? The story opens with Jonathan in London on business, and Jennifer a reporter trying to interview him for a financial story. He blows her off, she gets mad, he gets mad at her attempts to dupe him into the interview, and unbeknownst to them, they meet up at the hotel bar. And then the magic begins to happen. They're both smitten, but she falls a bit before he does. Before we know it, a small catastrophe ensues and, viola, their first pre-marital murder takes place. I love the anger that RJ shows when he sees the newspaper story; we so rarely see that kind of emoting from him, cuz he plays Jonathan cool as a cucumber; but when we do, it's always great. Their first kiss is exactly what you'd imagine their first kiss would be, and despite the annoyance with her, the fact that he can't hide just how much he's falling in love with her is very satisfying, indeed. The whole thing with Jonathan in the Thames is awesome. I'm not sure how much of it was a StuntJonathan, but SOMEONE went in there, and at some point RJ really does climb up the stairs at the bottom of the pier from the river itself, soaking wet. Then the whole scene with "I do like her, I DO like her" is perfect. Eventually, it all culminates at the Tower of London, of course. The climactic scenes where Jonathan sends Jennifer to Scotland Yard are so well-done, I didn't stop grinning. And I only grinned more with Max's final great line from the coach. Second best lines --> Jennifer: "After all the trouble we've been thru, you wanna marry me?" Jonathan: "Well, I'm sure we won't get into trouble on a weekly basis." Heh. Interesting observation, you can totally tell as the years go by how much the censors relax each season. For the first time, Jonathan & Jennifer say, "make love" four times in context in one scene. So, this whole episode is top notch, one of my favorites of all time, as nearly all H2H fans will agree. Beautiful beginning to the final season of Hart to Hart.

Uneven, Well-Written, Badly Directed, Nicely-Acted, Heinously-Costumed Mess., 12 May 2009

If they're going to believably dress Julie Newmar as a man, then a fitted suit that clearly shows her hourglass is probably not the way to go. So, they lost me right then and there. Then the way the bad guy gets away from the scene of the crime seemed so unlikely given the circumstances that they lost me again. I mean, it would be like a vet going tot he zoo, an elephant drops to the ground right in front of them, and instead of going into immediate vet mode and trying to help, they just kind of saunter away to go see the giraffes. Big issue right there. Then there's the sound editing. I struggled to hear at one point, then the sound was overly-loud in the next. The dubbing is god-awful. The whole sound editing is uneven throughout. Not a good job. Jennifer looks off in this one, too. Now, the ruse is written nicely. From the beginning to the end, I like how Julie works thru the scenes with the three regulars. And the way the confusion about who the real Jonathan Hart is was actually pretty clever. One of the bad guys get rough with Jennifer this episode, which is not something we see a lot of. One of the things I really liked was Jonathan going directly into protective mode when Jennifer is summoned as a hostage. Also, when Jonathan says lovers and husband & wife are not mutually exclusive. Oooh, but wait, then Julie puts on another man-disguise and looks positively unconvincing to the point where I'm lost in laughter, again. BLOOPER ALERT --> Bad jump cut when the Rolls pulls up about 47 minutes in. And then to make things worse, the same line is written for Jonathan TWICE. "If we do, it could cause the Commissioner his life." This thing is so uneven. Parts of it were great for me, but others were just really badly done. I mean, i enjoyed it like an 8. But the crappy parts were like a 4. So, I'll split the difference at the 6. Note to Harry Winer, direction here, not so great.

There's Enough Smoke in This Greenhouse to Give the PLANTS cancer!, 11 May 2009

The Hart's give Max an expensive, exclusive cigar that turns out to kill people, and the whole episode is a mad race to find Max before he smokes it. BLOOPER ALERT --> About nine minutes in, the "Milton Charles" character goes to shake Jonathan's hand, but RJ doesn't remember that direction and misses it; then he makes good immediately thereafter. Some nice backstory with Max & Jonathan. He made Jonathan his first omelet, took out his first bank account for him, and took him to his first ballet. And RJ does a nice impression of Lionel's Max, too. When they think Max is dead, their devastation is pretty well-played. So many interesting observations going on here. Like: * Ah, the days when a fill-up would cost you $15.40.

* Some strange lingering closeups of Jennifer for no real reason.

* Max is such a loved member of the family. Then why do they have to rent him such an old, beat-up car? And, in fact, why would he not just buy himself a car? They've gotta be paying him enough. Strange little detail that takes nothing to deal with; it's just odd.

* I know it was the early '80's, seat belts were more of a suggestion and not a brain-splat-prevention device; but, if ever there was a time for seatbelts, this one was it.

Max stumbles away from the poker table, clearly altered. So, that's right, give the car to the drunk guy.

At least Max debuted a new apron today. Serious pair of lips.

Calgon, Take Me Away., 11 May 2009

Turns out Max is a major soap opera fan and is lost in the world of Daytime between 2:30 and 3pm. And wouldn't you know it, now he's gotten Jennifer all invested in "Doctor's Hospital," too. And by invested, I mean Mecca for any soap fan, a walk-on role on the soap. So, not only do J&J enter the world of one of my favorite genres, soap operas, but a boatload of real soap stars of the time guested in fun roles. Of course, folks are dropping right and left, and in true soap opera fashion in TODAY's day and age, it doesn't take a brain trust to figure out who the nutjob is. Lanna Saunders and John McCook turn out amusing performances at total divas, and the gorgeous Leann Hunley appears as the short-lived, screaming ingénue. And great fear from Stefanie. She's capable of so much, and finally, she's directed to emote the way she's supposed to when she's about to die. Very nice job. Also great was Peter Brown in one helluva scenery-chewing role. Not so happy to report, however, Deanne has been replaced by some other secretary! Hrmph. Best scene of the ep, J&J running lines in the tub. Hee!

There's Nothing Hart Industries Doesn't Own. Next up, Perfume, 6 May 2009

I really liked this fourth season Valentine's Day episode. For one thing, it was nice to get away from the trite images of the fake holiday. Yes, they opened with a silly montage of V'day images, but that quickly acquiesced to a nice episode. Jonathan tries to buy the perfume company that he's commissioned to create a "Jennifer" signature scent. BLOOPER ALERT --> The "Jennifer" bottle clearly has her name written in gold paint pen. Then we have the great Diana Muldaur from Star Trek and Next Gen playing a nice, meaty guest role with kissing and everything! RJ turns out a good, natural performance that has become a regular occurrence. Freeway gets more screen time and another visit to the vet, Dr. Barrett. Special guest dog, the Doberman, Huey. Now, the stunt work in this was some of the worst as far as believability. No one had good wigs. Yikes! Overall, a nicely popcorn episode with good acting, a fun story, and dogs.

Contrived, a Little Phoned in, other Than Freeway, 2 May 2009

I have mixed feelings about this one. I got the impression that they maybe started running out of ideas as I was watching this. It had quite a bit of opportunity to get to the heart of the episode, but it seemed to take a while to get there. We open in Mexico in authentic locations with authentic street scenes and, for a change, no gawking fans where extras are concerned. Turns out the Harts have taken a cruise to Mexico (what, after the last disaster?!), inexplicably bringing along Freeway -- on the ship -- but not Max. Lots of Love Boat stock footage inserted, here. And wouldn't you know it, the Harts place their dog kennel right next to the same exact kennel belonging to some chick smuggling cocaine in the bottom of hers. The chick is returning guest star Shelley Smith from the ski episode ("Downhill to Death"). Other than a very amusing episode in the Customs VIP Lounge (seriously?) where smuggler chick tries to pick up Jonathan right in front of Jennifer without even caring she's there -- Stefanie & RJ are really good here -- the performances of every other person seem a little phoned in. Except for Freeway's vet; Edith Atwater was quite good in an effortless, very natural role that she'll repeat one more time during the run of the show. It wasn't a terrible episode, there were lots of great little moments, and and I gave it a good rating cuz it was entertaining. But overall, it seemed a little tired.

Mostly sunny with a patch of clouds, 27 April 2009

Jonathan is just far too understanding in this episode. Here, he takes his wife away for a wonderful weekend, and she's all fixated on the apparent suicide of a reporter whom, unbeknownst to Jennifer, considered her her mentor. They seem unable to take a vacation without getting sidetracked into investigation. Beautiful scene between J&J early on about how much Jennifer loves him, how important it is to her that they have real talks, and that it means everything to her to just know that he cares and is there for her. I'm not one of those 'shippers that somehow have it in their heads that Stefanie & RJ had a thing in real life -- they didn't, guys. They're just actors. But they're actors who were very close friends, had a very real bond in friendship and as acting partners, and shared the same tragedy in their lives at this very time, the death of their spouses. So, during this scene, I did see Stefanie and RJ in that scene and not so much Jonathan & Jennifer. I'm not saying they were professing being in love with each other. It's not about being in love; it's about their bond of friendship. It really struck me. For me, I was THRILLED to see two Star Trek alums that were incredibly prolific. Gary Lockwood was in the Original Series pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and is an icon to Trekkies for that reason. And then there's Andrew Robinson, who is an amazing actor and played the Cardassian, Garak in DS9. He was natural and effortless in this role. Only someone as talented as him could go from Dirty Harry to Liberace in the same career. Also, wonderful uncredited (in IMDb) performance from Peter Hobbes as the newspaper editor. What's all these uncredited roles all about? It's annoying that these wonderful performances are not being credited here in IMDb, which is not H2H's fault; just not sure how to fix that. From a critical viewpoint, Jenniver wears pleats. Sob. The StuntLockwood was awful. And someone help me understand why they were driving a piece of crap for the accident scene? If they didn't want to sacrifice their real car, they should have written it differently. Jennifer and the plane I liked; delivery of lines not so much. The times that Jennifer doesn't act mortified where by all rights she should be in hysterics are just a real pet peeve for me. RJ during those scenes, however? Fine, fine, fine job. I feel like it's some of his best work in this show. That might seem like a backhanded compliment, as it was a lot of talk, but I believed every single word he said. It was just exact and perfect, and believable as who Jonathan Hart is, and THAT'S acting. I could watch him deliver these scenes all day. Nice direction from Bruce Kessler.

The Harts' Most Dangerous Game, 24 April 2009

I can't believe no one's commented on this episode yet! Of all the obscure, flash in the pan shows listed here on IMDb that have comment after comment, you'd think this show that was huge in the day and has continued fans to this day in reruns would have more comments, and especially this great episode. These guys got away with so much back in the day, it was great. Wonderful episode with a backdrop of wildlife conservation. So much going on here. The first thing that stuck me about this episode was an establishing shot of the World Trade Center's twin towers. It's nice to see them memorialized in film whenever they pop up in various old TV shows and movies. The next thing that struck me was not so nice, and that was the image of a live mouse about to be dropped into the maw of a snake. Luckily, they didn't show that. And then right there in the same first five minutes the plot is established that includes a wildlife game reserve in South America. Another homage to Stefanie's long-time partner, William Holden. I have to hand it to the guest actors, they were casually walking with, frankly, ENORMOUS live tigers, and I about fell over. One of those guest actors was Tippi Hedren. That's right, Tippi "The Birds" Hedren. I was just waiting for her to get a shot with a bird, and sure enough, she did. A cockatoo is perched on her shoulder. Its name is Freddie. HELLO?! Yes, as in Hitchcock. And that's not the only sight gag; later int he episode, Tippi looks up to the sky to see a swarm of birds off in the distance. Tippi's one helluva sport; she appears in more shots in a cage full of the big cats, and then proceeds to stroke it's mane. Oh gosh! Lots of other live animals, as well, including elephants, monkeys, and stock footage of others. It does look like the whole thing takes place on a Disney back lot somewhere, and if it weren't for the time line, I'd've been sure this were shot at Disney's Animal Kingdom. The bad guy here's absolutely creepy, he hunts J&J like animals (ala the classic short story), and the action is great. Jonathan looks a wreck by the end of the episode, but Jennifer's hair and makeup look fresh as rain; I'm more for realism, so I would have appreciated her a mess. The stunt guys were really obvious in this one, tho RJ's own stunt work was great. Interesting that IMDb doesn't list Phillip Morris in what is probably only his 2nd or third role of his career. Strange. In any event, outstanding episode with one easter egg after another. Terrific.

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]