HilaryElizabeth9

Page 4 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

This One Was a Mary Sue Story, 28 May 2009

This was an interesting one. It was the Xmas episode. Elements were great. A girl comes out of a 7-year coma whom is somewhat under the guardianship of the Harts. Why is unclear. The relationship is never really established. It's not familial, but what it IS is really unclear. The Harts start noticing a pattern with her nightmares and some near misses, and they misplace their trust in a psychologist that happens to be her parents' killer. Accepting that this is not real stuff, I can't get past the need for SOME realism. Like that after coming out of a 7-year coma, there is no way in hell you're going to be able to walk, let alone prance around. Of course, the bad guy tries to off the girl, Harts tot he rescue, the end. I think guest Kari Michaelson does a nice job of playing a 12yo in a 17yo's body, but the way she was directed was eh. The direction of the episode, however, was pretty good. I really liked the very beginning when the hart's are walking thru the corridors of the hospital in one long shot. Very interesting. Nice was another rare use of the Hart station wagon by the Harts, themselves. Ultimately, this was truly a Mary Sue story. Could have been better-written. They were clearly running out of ideas by this point.

Another Stinker, 28 May 2009

This was an ep that tried to be showy and cultural and Kung Fu, but from where I"m standing, it only succeeded in being cheesy and weird. Jonathan places the winning bid on a jade dog that is part of a set of all 12 Chinese year animals (dog, monkey, pig, etc.) that has not been all together in one place in centuries. Why, I don't know, it seemed easy breezy to get to the dog, but whatever. So the guy whom I could have sworn played Harry Mudd on Star Trek, but apparently not according ti IMDb (though he was in an episode in the third season), loses the bid on behalf of his Chinese employer in Macao, and boy does that not go over well. Before you know it, the Harts agree to go undercover for the State Department -- again -- to catch this bad guy. What I didn't care for was the stroll thru the streets of Macao (this one was probably not on location for a change) for absolutely no reason, the strolls right in and out of buildings, and the big show of martial arts paraphernalia swinging all over the place for no good reason and to no end. The Hart's are cornered, yet six men are swinging these things in front of them like they're actually in danger of losing them. Then there's the duel over the vat of acid. Say what? Yeah. The very end climax was very good, I will say, that impressed me. Well-written. But the rest of the hooey was hooey.

This one is wack., 23 May 2009

This episode was out there, man. I mean really disjointed, beyond the realm of reality, beyond the realm of Hartality, Just wack. This one is a prop for more stunt location shooting, this time in Greece. Jonathan Hart Industries is sponsoring a stockcar rally -- in the mountains of Greece -- where there are no phones, but there are construction sites, dead ends, fake maps, and weddings out of nowhere where no one understands the sign for "I need a phone" but lots of people wanting the Hart's to dance even though they are complete strangers. I watched this sucker TWICE to try to figure it out, but the details of just how the bad guys' plan could possibly have gotten to this never gelled. What I know is the bad guys want to take over Jonathan Hart Industries. But the insanity that surrounds all that is not worth this episode. The Greek scenery is beautiful, though, especially the Greek ruins, which Stefanie & RJ got to partake in quite a bit. The locals have no clue who these people are, so that's a plus. There have been worse episodes. But this one's a stinker.

Contrived, contrived! But ... Kinda fun., 23 May 2009

So, Jennifer's a Scot, now? Sir Gavin McClish, the 293rd Chieftan of his clan, died while visiting LA in search of financial support for his clan castle. The bad guy thinks he's got Chieftanship in the bag, but it turns out that someone's on to his smarmy nature and goes in search of another viable candidate. Turns out Jennifer has Scots blood in her. This story really just serves as a prop for the Scotish Highland games happening in the LA area. It's all really contrived, but even so, all the Highland culture infused in this episode is really pretty impressive, especially the arena ceremonies and the Highland Dancing. RJ and Lionel in kilts are way worth the price of admission on this one. Even better is the hysterical conversation J&J have about what's under Jonathan's kilt.

Jennifer: How do you feel? Jonathan: I feel fine. Jennifer: No chill, no cold? Jonathan: No. No wind. Jennifer: Then it's true what they say about the Scots. Jonathan: What do they say about the Scots? Jennifer: Oh, you know what they say. Jonathan: No. Jennifer: Oh, come on, you can tell me, I need to know for my article; research. Is it true, let me have a look (she lifts his kilt) Jonathan: (Grabs kilt back) Will you cut that out! Not here, I'll give you the bare facts later. Full exposure. Jennifer: Promise?

Adorable.

The climactic scenes at the end with for the California Scotish Society, naturally held at the Hart's house, are filled with much Scotish dancing, which RJ and Stefanie and all the actors, I'd think, had to work very hard at learning. I was just left with one question at the end that made me say, 'what?' Why on earth to the bad guys always end up trying to off the Harts in front of a crowd? Like they're going to get away with it? Lazy writing. Enjoyable, nonetheless.

Happy Thanksgiving, 22 May 2009

This was great. Contrived, but really good for the interpersonal relationships between everyone. Ray Milland guest stars in the Thanksgiving episode. Wow. Ray Milland. I see that he first appears as Jennifer's father, Stephen, in "My Heart Belongs to Daddy," but that's one that my local affiliate isn't showing. I would have liked to have had something to compare it to being the continuity nut I am. Oh well. So, this takes place in Washington, DC, though my guess is that it was filmed in one of the many location spots Season 5 was shooting in that year. Samantha Eggar plays a woman pretending to be Stephen's daughter from a woman he thought had died. Turns out she didn't, but that doesn't make this woman his daughter. Jonathan catches on to the ruse long before the rest of them do, and when he and Jennifer try to protect her father, he lashes out in anger. The writing in these scenes is great, and the acting between all of them is outstanding. RJ & Stefanie, Stefanie & Ray, Ray & RJ, just pitch perfect. The best scene is the first time Jennifer tries to tell her father about the ruse, and you can just see her heart breaking for him. On the other hand, I wasn't on board with how quickly they all just accepted this woman as Jennifer's sister right off the bat. With all that money at stake -- and there's a lot of it -- how can you not double check she is who she purports to be? So, other than that, nice ep.

Holy Guest Stars, BAtman, This Episode's Chock Full of 'Em!, 19 May 2009

Great ep. So, the Hart's have a tennis court complete with big balcony, tables with umbrellas, and an automatic ball server. And on top of it, J&J are fabulous tennis players. This shouldn't shock you, the characters are fabulous at everything. But more impressive is that RJ & Stefanie are fabulous at tennis, too. Thesre are talented people. Which is why their characters work. Most accurate line, Jennifer: "Ya know something? We work very well together." Quite true. Jennifer is hosting a benefit tennis game for charity, and her good friend, Susan, is arranging for her tennis instructor to get two big stars to play in her match, including Martina Navratalova and Vijay Amritraj. A lot of other name dropping of last year's players, Conors, McEnroe, and Tracy Austen (not that they show up). But Vijay & Martina do very respectable jobs at acting, and they're not the only ones. all the guests are great in this one, not the least of which being Adam West of Batman fame. What a pleasure to see him as a regular guy. He couldn't possibly have played a straighter role, and he even has to emote with real tears as a grieving husband. Also SO GREAT was RJ pitching a McEnroe'esquire fit in order to stall for time during the celebrity game. Boy, can he play the jerk. It fights for best scene with the one where Jennifer is trying to dodge the advances of the tennis pro, who couldn't possibly have been any more smarmy. Her Hiccups were perfect, the whole sequence was great. When Jonathan is desperately trying to get thru to a busy signal so he can feed Jennifer information, you can see his desperation as he worries whose hands might be all over his wife. When he finally walks in, the relief is evident, and he plays his jealous possessiveness with understated perfection. Cutest scene has to be the kicker when Jennifer is lobbing balls at him,, he grabs her, great kiss, and then he smacks her behind with the tennis racket. Folks, they just don't build 'em like this anymore.

Now, THIS Is Vintage H2H., 18 May 2009

Opening with an eye-popping, attention-getting nightmare sequence shot thru an angry red gel, I had high hopes for this episode from the start. Clearly shot during the same production trip to the UK as "Two Harts Are Better Than One," the location shots are quite nice, especially inside the real manor, and the guest stars are all from the British scene. They all did a very nice job. This one brings J&J + Max to the manor of an acquaintance for the Belgrave Hunt." Fox hunt I think? Not my idea of fun, watching people run around on horses chasing a fox to kill. But whatever. There is a very interesting scene where J&J walk into a local pub,a nd the minute they enter, the mood turns chilly, shortly followed by a fantastic game of darts. Fantastic for the "yay's!" coming from Jennifer, so cute. Also fantastic cuz the local beats Jonathan. See, he's not perfect. Nice to see the imperfection. Um ... he also downs a pint spectacularly. This particular guest, Barry Stanton, does a really fine job. BLOOPER ALERT --> What's truly awful is the continuity with Jennifer's hair and wardrobe. and makeup for that matter. Within the SAME SCENE her hair goes from the mullet to the old hair back and forth multiple times, and her wardrobe goes back and forth, too; one minute there's a beigy-brown shell under the black trench, the next minute it's all black. It's not that hard to deal with this stuff, but sure enough, they can't seem to get it right. Now, as for the rest of the episode, the story is good, and every time I knew where it was going, turns out I didn't. Also, very, very nice J&J talk on the bed about how they shouldn't stay together just for conveniences sake and that they should make sure they stay in love. Jennifer's shyness on the subject and Jonathan's reassuring love for her is evident. The hunt, itself, was a feat to shoot, no question. A lot of animals to wrangle, from dogs to horses to birds to human extras, not to mention a snogging couple :-). RJ and Stafanie do a lot of their own riding, and the stunts are really outstanding. As are the costumes. I thought this was a great episode. The hair/wardrobe continuity is awful, but the integrity of the story and acting is top notch.

Turns out Jonathan's a Navy Guy. Of Course., 17 May 2009

Somewhere along the line in Jonathan Hart became a Lt. Cmdr. in the US Navy. So, now, he reports for duty in the station wagon to the Pacific Missile Test Center, which is maybe the first time I've seen someone driving it other than Max. It is, let me mention, a Mercedes station wagon. Of course, one of Jonathan's mentors is murdered, and they find themselves in the thick of the bad guys' scheme to sabotage the top secret Project Pandora. Great dance number in this episode. Really great job from RJ & Stefanie doing the Charleston. Some great guests in this one. Ethan Phillips is in this episode, and it's just a joy to see him. John Consadine shows up for his second stint after "Harts & Flowers," and the fabulous and prolific Dana Elcar appears as, of course, an Admiral. Though he died at age 78, he was such a great actor; taken way too soon. There are some very impressive scenes in this one that include a Navy test facility's mission control, RJ in full military and test pilot regalia, and jets in flight. This had to be real location shooting with actual personnel as extras. Really great stuff. Jennifer's red and white striped dress is REALLY red and white striped! and the blue one is really no better. Interestingly, this is one of the only ones with a title not containing the word "Hart." Very interesting episode, pretty well-done.

Classic Episode Where Jonathan is Taken Hostage, 15 May 2009

This was a different kind of episode. Serious. Seems to me that it was shot at least party on location in Paris. Jonathan gets himself taken hostage when he catches a pair of jewel thieves attempting to make off with an expensive piece. What makes this different than other episodes, and what I've really never seen before, is the kind of emotion coming from Jennifer and the artistry with which her devastation is shot. I was quite impressed with how committed they were to the sadness and loneliness in her they set out to convey. As for Jonathan, RJ does a good job at being injured and pathetic. Which is exactly what he should be doing! This show is all about suspension of disbelief. However, in most most of these episodes, Jonathan gets up and dusts himself off when by all rights he should practically be in a coma. Not this time. Here he is truly unwell. I did think it was pretty out of character for Jennifer to tell a friend from way back that she hadn't seen in umpteen years the details of Jonathan's whereabouts because she doesn't trust the police. But, then again, Jonathan tries to escape half cocked and ends up getting caught, so add him to the list of People Doing Out-of-Character-Things. The only thing that truly bugged me was when Jonathan saves the day despite the fact that's he's been shot and could barely move just moments before. I do really like Jennifer reading French, however. Overall, an important episode in the H2H library from the seriousness, acting, and artistry alone.

Dying to Be Thinner?, 14 May 2009

This one's about a diet craze that involves speed. It's the next chronologically airing episode, but Jen's floppy hair is back. Yay, no mullet today! Boo, bad continuity. Another bad continuity alert, when Jennifer is in a precarious spot, her pants are all muddy, but when she's brought to safety, they're clean as a whistle. Then there's the horrible wardrobe that they dress Stefanie in. Really ugh. Every outfit is buttoned up to the top, a lot of gunmetal gray button-downs with bad, pleated pants. Not to mention the peroxide blonde guest star's horrible outfits. From the awful pink dress worn in the days when anti-perspirant wasn't so effective, to the orange and white striped blouse, the ownlyt hing worse was the style and texture of her hair. Now, the chick playing Jennifer's cousin, Betsy, was great, Marilyn Kagan. She's not acted in quite some time, but she was wonderful. Also a visit from veteran character actress Jacque Lynn Colton. Overall, not a very inspired episode for the 4th season finale.

Page 4 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]