LadyBeth10

Good Dracula movie on a cheap budget, 15 September 2017

The one thing that really made this movie was Luke Robert's Dracula. Hey I can take a blonde Dracula when he's that freaking gorgeous and such a fine actor. His performance elevated the movie which kind of played out like a graphic novel. I'm really watching out for him. Hope someone snaps him up for a hit role fast. He showed a lot of range in this role, and he's totally hot! Reminds me a lot of Gerard Butler. A lot of the story was well fleshed out analogy wise. Like Wes Craven's Dracula 2000, it played out biblical themes of sin and redemption. I don't think Bram Stoker had any idea of the Pandora's box he was opening up. Can you believe that this one little horror novel has spawned so much historical extrapolation, inner exploration of what is truly good, and what is truly evil, and of course that old axiom: Love conquers all. If you really understand the symbols, Dracula is but one of Joseph Campbell's "The Hero With a Thousand Faces." Watched it twice, will probably watch it again. Absolutely LOVE Luke Roberts!! He's a star waiting to be plucked. And let's be real okay, those old Hammer Dracula films also had Cover Girl worthy vampire chicks too, complete with false eyelashes, but we still love 'em. Give me a break!

"The OA" (2016)
Intriguing and Thought provoking!, 13 January 2017

Wow, I started watching this and just couldn't stop. It will blow your mind! It was mesmerizing, and amazingly complex when so many shows are just pablum shams by hacks where I'm left yawning by the first ten minutes and change the channel. I'm finding that Netflix is actually producing better shows than HBO and Showtime. There may be some spoilers here so please watch it before you read the rest of this review. The basic question is what is the nature of reality? Was she remembering an alternate universal experience? I mean, where was she for those seven years? And how did she come back with her sight intact? How did the scars get there? The story she weaved and brought to heartbreaking life brought those five disparate people who were so disconnected to life together to become angels in their own right and learn the meaning of love, and that we are all connected and stronger when we come together for a common goal. The acting, directing, cinematography, and story weaved a sort of spell. And I boohooed my eyes out, so have a box of Kleenex handy. Similar to Stranger Things (excellent,)and Sens8te (again excellent) and absolutely unforgettable. Forget cable!! All you need is Netflix!

Amazing! I feel like a kid again!, 27 December 2015

When I was 15 years old, I read a review in the local paper for Star Wars. Well being a sci-fi reader, and a lover of adventure stories, I was intrigued. When I got to the theater that hot summer day and saw all of these other people in line to see the original Episode 4, I felt this amazing excitement running through the crowd. Like all of the others who were there for that moment in time, I will never forget it. No one had ever seen anything like it. There were no big stars, only the amazing reviews. And were taken to a Galaxy far...far away. A place where planets were like continents. All you needed was my favorite souped up girl, the Millennium Falcon, and my favorite pilot of all time, Han Solo. Rake, scoundrel, sexy, antihero, funny, brave, so lovable, and always up for a good fight. Yeah, I would have had his kid too Leia! Too bad he turned out to be a sociopath. I digress. I was very skeptical of this movie. There was SOOOOO much hype. But after my beloved Star Trek J.J. Abrams reboot, I just had to give this a chance. My son bought tickets for Christmas day. I don't know how we got in. Wow, I haven't seen these kind of crowds since Avatar. It was sharing a moment again with not only my generation, but also a whole new one. My son for one. It was the best Christmas present I've ever gotten. I have the first trilogy on DVD. My son and I are going to have a SW marathon and then go see the movie again. I don't know if he will understand why I left teary eyed. I have read other people saying that this is a remake, but it's not. J.J. gave us all the touchstones of our youth while making the way for the next generation. He re-established the wonderful mixture of comedy, tragedy, and on the edge of your seat action of the original. It's so refreshing to see a real fan make a real fan's movie for real fans. I didn't see it as a remake at all. It was just a new wheel within a wheel. Everything makes a circle. And I loved so much seeing it come around again.

I can't wait for the next one!

Love this show!!, 20 May 2014

If you are a student and reader of early horror and have actually read the old classics from Bram Stoker's "Dracula," Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein" and Oscar Wilde's "The Picture of Dorian Gray," you will love this show. If you're looking for the old Universal and Hammer films (yes, I am a horror aficionado), you will not find that here unless you're ready for a serious reboot. Of course the love of everything that has come before will help you totally dig this. Also Jack the Ripper is always lurking in the shadows. But was he a vampire? Dorian Gray? A werewolf perhaps? This show really brings me back to my childhood love of "Dark Shadows". But this is "Dark Shadows" on steroids. Not as romantic, but just as bewitchingly inscrutable, and mysterious. I've only seen the first two episodes, but can't wait for more. I'm pretty sure they're going to run into Dr. Jekyll, Sherlock Holmes, and Captain Nemo possibly. I love it!! Maybe this show will inspire many to read or reread these wonderful classics. Right now I'm just going to enjoy this wonderful concoction of original horror seen through the lens of present fans who still carry a love for the written word. These guys know exactly what they're doing and are serious fans of the original material. Intelligent and inventive with great actors such as Josh Hartnett and Timothy Dalton. But I have to give the biggest kudos to Eva Green. Holy guacamole! She is amazing. I loved her in the Tim Burton version of "Dark Shadows" as Angelique, but she is stealing every scene she's in in PD. Guys you better catch up with her because she is chewing so much scenery I can feel it stuck in my teeth!! Of course in a good...no, GREAT way. This chick is going to win an Oscar someday! Mark my words. I can't wait to see where these writers are going to go next! Werewolves, mummies, even H. Rider Haggard's "She" might show up. H.P. Lovecraft was a little later, but who knows? They can take it anywhere from here. This show is what NBC's "Dracula," and Fox's "Sleepy Hollow" wish they could be. They're both not bad, but not as incredibly good as this show.

Byzantium (2012)
Lyrical and Beautiful Film, 4 March 2014

First of all I have to say that it is a low down dirty crime that this excellent film did not receive wider distribution and a decent marketing campaign! "Byzantium" is an exquisite gem that, thank God, has not been lost on some of us. Had it been widely released I would have gone to the theater over and over. It would have been worth every penny. However I am only able to do that here at home. I just caught this last week for the first time on Showtime. I was reluctant at first until I saw that it was a Neil Jordan film. Mr. Jordan has refused to cow-tow to the bottom line and continues to make thoughtful and deeply intellectual entertainment. But as any artist will tell you entertainment is not their end goal. Exploration of the human spirit is what they're after. That is what the best stories offer.

The name Byzantium can be interpreted as a metaphor for change; for something ending and something beginning, or built on top of the past. That is where this story takes place. Clara and Eleanor return to the place where their story begins. For both of them it's the ending to that story, and the beginning of another. The script was multi-layered and eloquent, weaving the story on a dreamy Gothic-modern loom. I can't wait to see more from Moira Buttini! It's nice to see and hear a female voice for a change. This is not your typical vampire movie, which has become very tired of late. Character development is the important aspect of film making, and that has not been forgotten here. The direction and editing were impeccable. The score by Javier Navarette was absolutely beautiful and spot on. And the use of the Beethoven's Sonata Opus 2, No. 3 set the tone and juxtaposition of past and present. The scene of Eleanor playing that piece in the convalescent home and her first meeting with Frank, the catalyst for Eleanor's change, is haunting. That's what really anchored the first act for me and drew me in. The set direction and cinematography were equally superb.

Now for the acting: Gemma Arterton was a revelation as Clara. She gave such depth, passion, and pathos to what could have been a totally unlikeable one-note character. Saoirse Ronan is hands down one of the best young actresses today, proving once again that she can carry a film easily on her oh-so-young shoulders. Those incredibly blue eyes and mature screen presence made me believe she was 200 years old. Another wonderful revelation was Caleb Landry Jones who surprisingly matches her at every step. Their chemistry was palpable. I had to see what else he has been up to and ordered "Antiviral" on Netflix last night. This kid has some serious acting chops! Syd March and Frank are polar opposites of each other, and yet played with the confidence, bearing, and aplomb of a much older actor. I fell in love with this young man who has proved himself to be a true artist. His Frank is heartbreakingly vulnerable, sweet, and painfully awkward. With that soft gravelly voice, tall, lean, lanky body, those farm-boy blushed cheeks, and soulful eyes he reminds me of a young Brad Pitt. In this movie he proves that he can play the romantic leading man which I'm sure he will be doing again very soon. I can't wait to see both he and Saoirse up for Oscars in the not too distant future. Through their perfect pitch performances you can feel that due to Frank's lifelong illness and her immortal "condition" leaving them both desperately lonely that their shared isolation is what attracts them to each other and binds them in deeper ways than even they know. I also loved the scenes on the mysterious island in the ancient shrine (possibly to the goddess Hecate, which the Byzantines worshiped?) of the nameless saint as Darvell calls it. He also says that his gods are more ancient than Christianity. The Divine Feminine? How ironic that it's been hijacked by an mysoginistic fraternity. I think it fits. When Eleanor enters she is confronted with her mirror image and the "turning" is gentle. When Darvell enters and confronts himself, his "turning" is very violent. They are very different in nature. After all, in ancient myths it was called a place of healing. Eleanor has taken on an Angel of Death persona relieving pain and suffering. She is the epitome of mercy. The fraternity eschews mercy as Clara notes. When a director shows you something twice he wants you to take note. I'm ordering the blu-ray disc of this movie, not only to add to my collection, but also to show my solidarity and support for excellent film making. I gave it a 10 since I am so tired of the crap that gets shoved down our throats, while beautiful works of art like this are ignored. I certainly hope the distribution "rules" will change in the very near future. The nearer, the better. This film should be re-distributed so that everyone is afforded the opportunity to see this incredible film on the big screen. Or, more succinctly...story. After all, this movie is about stories.

"I am Eleanor Webb. I throw my story to the wind. And never will I tell it more. Another one begins..."

Classic Sequel!!, 9 November 2013

I have loved this movie since the first time I saw it, when it came out. Why do they give it 2 stars? I loved the original, and found this to be the perfectly grown up book end. It has the same panache as the first one. The pacing is a little slower, but to good effect. It's sensual when it should be and picks up where it needs to. Very well acted, directed, edited, and overall executed. Still have a big crush on William Ragsdale! I'm watching it now and he's still a doll! I have seen this movie over and over again, as I've watched the original. I enjoyed the remake, but it will never reach the wonderful mix of horror, comedy, and sensuality of the original 2. And William, I'm single, if you are too, CALL me!! You're a babe!

I've loved this movie since 1974 when I was 15, 17 March 2013

This is one of those rare films that unfortunately flew under the radar. I hope that is no longer the case. I had a copy of this and watched it over and over over the years, but I lost my DVD. Just watched it again and DVR'd it from cable. God how I still love this movie!! Very operatic and melodramatic. If you are a lover of musicals, Faust, The Phantom of the Opera, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and Beauty and the Beast must get the tongue in cheek humor, the glam rock "Kiss" references, and the ultimate tragedy of a talented geek who had the unfortunate luck of meeting the Devil. Paul Williams' understated and perfect pitch portrayal of Swan is wonderfully perverse with a good dose of wink, wink, nudge, nudge... His cherubic outer image juxtaposing his inner evil was simply delicious! (I'm licking my lips. Can you tell?) And his score is still strong enough to pull me back through the years to a magically specific point in time. I'm really pushing for a musical on Broadway. This is just a natural for that venue! And Mr. Williams could expand on his score. It would be perfection. It's nice to know I can still dream.....

6 Souls (2010)
A truly intelligent and interesting horror film!, 13 March 2013

OK, I'm giving this a 10 just to try and even this out. If you like the Paranormal Activity films and similar ilk, this is not the movie for you. If you love intelligent, subtle horror with great performances (Rhys Meyers is a standout!!), a good script, and equally good direction with a moody score that works as the perfectly creepy backdrop then this is for you. Some here have interpreted this movie as parading religious ideology. I think it just questions our concept of good and evil. As any lover of Stephen King and Anne Rice will attest to, this is the ultimate theme of all great horror fiction. Think about it. Even in the Lord of the Rings films that was the overall "theme" of the stories. It's as old as we are. Just read Joseph Campbell. I love films that make you think. There were some plot holes, and some cliché's, but overall it was very well executed, and kept me absolutely enthralled! Best horror film I've seen in years!!!!

The Revenant (2009/I)
Just saw this and loved it!!, 23 December 2012

What fun for any horror lover. I must say I am truly surprised! Most other horror/comedy flicks are absolute dreck and not worth the time. But this brought back memories of An American Werewolf in London, and Evil Dead II without being a ripoff. Not bad company for this writer/director/producer. I can't wait to see what he does next, as well as the two male leads who were absolutely, hilariously brilliant! And I've seen some comments here that some thought the ending was probably not the smartest thing to do, but when has the military thoroughly thought out the ramifications of their tactics such as invading Iraq, which turned out not to have WMDs, just being the first blunder and the ingenious setup for the plot. I personally thought the ending was perfect. A soldier who at the beginning is so morally conscientious it gets him killed, becomes the perfect killing machine at the end which comes full circle. The anti war/gun mentality is deftly embedded. The script is witty, ironic, and very, very funny with a balanced dose of pathos thrown in for good measure which made the characters much more believable and human. Overall great entertainment for those of us who love this deliciously twisted genre when it's done right. Two thumbs way up!!

Great Horror Comedy!!! An unknown gem!, 17 May 2012

Okay, I gave this a 10, because despite it's obviously low budget, this is one of the best horror comedies I've ever seen! The acting, direction, production, script, and everything else I can't think of now are just inspired goofiness! It's geeks vs. freaks, with great animated segues, wonderfully cheesy effects befitting a B-movie spoof, and very tongue-firmly-in-cheek dialogue. I love Lovecraft, but this was just a wonderfully silly send up of horror/monster films in general. I see some Young Frankenstein, Eight Legged Freaks, and Shaun of the Dead especially. All of these guys are up and coming, if anyone in Hollywood has half a brain left these days!! I demand a sequel!!!!