Reviews

56 ReviewsOrdered By: Date
Nuremberg (2000– )
A Good Film Nonetheless
31 October 2010
From 1998 to the present the TNT network has made a series of well-acted films worthy of awards and praise from viewer and critic alike. Not many TV movies can make this claim. Nuremburg is one of these films.

When someone says: "Made-for-TV" movie one would expect characters that are miscast at worst misplaced and numerous mistakes such as modern cars deep in the background, a cheaply made background. But Nuremburg shatters this common stereotype. The characters are 3 dimensional and worth remembering. Alec Baldwin's performance is a commanding and selfless figure...very reassuring almost to sickening levels. Christopher Plummer and Jill Hennessey are very inoffensive supporting cast. They aren't as motionless as the scenery. The most riveting performance aside from Baldwin's is Brain Cox's portrayal of Reichmarshall Hermann Goering is spot-on and very intellectual.

The films also gets high marks not only for its moral message about justice and democracy. It gets high marks for one particular scene of the liberation of the Nazi concentration camps shown in very explicit and very painful detail. You would actually feel the shock and numbness of the audience. The oral testimony of the survivors also cannot be forgotten as it too explained the Nazi oppression in details just as painful. However, the Nazi officers standing trial remain either unmoved or motionless seeing their crimes from the opposite side of the law. Unfortunately, the accused only show a sliver of their humanity in the face of their ultimate fate: prison time or an execution.

Now for the things I felt were lacking in this film, I didn't find that many. I don't hate this film but it's not on the level of the 1962 "Trial At Nuremberg". It should be a full-length silver screen modern adaptation. I didn't like the scenery that was obviously a CGI construct i.e. "the place of justice". There is a lot of emotions in this film like in the big-budget blockbuster. However, it's sanitized, too neat, and *ahem* not controversial enough. I prefer my docudramas with a little controversy albeit a safe dose. In conclusion, this is a wonderful film that is a little too clean and safe given this touchy subject. Nuremberg should be as intriguing as Conspiracy and moving as Schiendler's List. But it's one of the very few movies of 2000's that is my DVD pick and we can't have everything.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Putrid Cliché and Nothing More!
28 October 2010
I hated everything that Sarah Jessica Parker had done after 1997 (Sex in the City) included. But this isn't a rant on Sarah's performance in the movie I'm going to talk about. No. Even though her characters are often the most self-centered and patronizing on celluloid.

This is a review on the cinematic masterwork that is "Spinning Into Butter". First off; I f*^king hate this title, it's completely ridiculous...original but ridiculous! Secondly, it's another movie about racism where Blacks and Whites are at each other's throats and blah, blah, blah! What makes this movie irritating is the fact that everything is a cliché running like clockwork, just like all those airline disaster movies. Everyone is a "stereotype" We have a white dean and a white university council who are completely timid, clueless, and rich elitists, then there's the angry-ass black female student that's always shouting as if her everyone around her was deaf, and the one Latino kid that couldn't take a joke. As usual, there's rioting complete with fisticuffs at some "townhall" meeting, caused by the one racist white guy in the entire movie insulting one of the black students...*gasp* No! Shocking!(sarcasm, people) There's not much plot, here except the same ol' crap one would expect a cheaply constructed movie that has the quality of an early 90s afterschool special on Lifetime. Hell, they even dress like they're from the early 1990's!

Hold on! I haven't even got to the real reason I wince at this after saying: "What the f*^k?" and "You gotta' be kidding me!!!" The real reason is that this movie is completely backward...back-ass-ward! Why? The year in which this drama was made is 2007....six years,over half-a- decade after 9/11 and it talks about Black/White prejudice and racism. C'mon! Black/White racism? This is 21st century, post 9/11 America! What about Arab/White racism? What about Hispanic/White racism, Asian/White racism? Racism isn't just projected to Black people.

This movie acts like its 1987! Where has the director of this tripe been for the past 20 or so years? Under a rock? If this had been an Arab victim or even a Gay victim, this movie would be more authentic and with the times. Not to be shallow, but Blacks aren't the top of the list of potential hatemonger targets anymore. Don't get me wrong, Black people are still targets of hate. For example the 2008 Presidential campaign and the Tea Party controversies that continue today. But the producers, directors, and visionaries of this crap should realize that there other ways of discussing racism issues using the cinematic medium instead of using the same old plot, just like they should realize there are other victims of racism, too.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Sci-Fi Classic? Hell no!!!
18 March 2010
Independence Day is a very interesting title for an alien invasion movie. In fact the 15-mile wide ships are also an interesting concept which is the only intriguing aspect of ID4! Will Smith's Capt. Hiller adds a humorous twist, but he's unconvincing as an Air Force Captain. He's like the Fresh Prince with a rank in the service. Overall ID4(why they call it that? I don't know), it's not worthy of my calling it a "film". It's a movie and a rather clichéd one at that. Like the Michael"Ka-Boom"Bay version of Transformers 11 years after the fact, it's a bombastic disaster movie that's the mid-1990's rendition of the Posideon Adventure, Airport, and Earthquake right down to the token multi-vocational, multi-ethnic cast. Some critics and viewers see as a cinematic display of American jingoism and arrogance. I think they're right on the money with that sentiment. Why should only the USA be the only nation of people to stand up to these creatures? Why should the USA have all the answers. Why couldn't Japan, the UK, Canada, or even Australia have the answers!

Instead of original characters we're exposed to token ones that are a rehash of characters from their other movies. For example, Jeff Goldblum is clearly re-enacting his Dr. Malcolm/Jurassic Park phase. But, that's not the reason why I don't necessarily like ID4. I don't like it because all the alien ships seem to do is destroy famous landmarks such as White House and the Empire State Building. They just kill for no reason other than the thrill of killing humanity(very vague if you ask me!)It's most clichéd because its tired message of "humanity must work together in peace" Oh brother! Independence Day is nothing but "boom" bang" "BA-DOOM!" There is no thoughtfulness and intelligence just...absurdity. This example is bringing down the alien empire with a simple garden-variety computer virus! A friggin' computer virus are you shitting me?!" How the hell do these people know that the alien ships aren't immune to such electronic contamination?! These are extra-terrestrials we're talking about, here! The next example is the psychically destroying the ships with thermonuclear weapons. What? Hasn't Emmerich ever heard of EMP, nuclear fallout, and atomic shock waves?! Unbelievable.

If you are going to make a movie about aliens invading Earth, do it with thought, pizazz, and a better f&*king reason to raze the cities of the Earth other than just for the hell of it!!! Seeing million of people cram the highways at the last minute is a stupid sight in itself. Haven't we seen this before in the movie the Day After and Earthquake? Let's do something different other than a resurrection of 70's melodrama. In conclusion, Rolan Emmerich is just as bad as Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay only he brings the absurd doomsday element into his movies. People like him and his contemporaries must be stopped!
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Devilishly Good Time!
18 March 2010
Very few horror films are entertaining. In fact, most horror flicks are morally flawed, disturbing, and too dark natured. It makes you hate humanity or at least question it. The characters are even worse than the things they do. They're often psychotic, half-human wild-eyed mutants that kill without the consulting of a conscience. Horror is anything evil and sadistic....not fun!

American Psycho is an exception to the rule. Here we have mild-mannered, clean-cut, and charming Patrick Bateman who has a lucrative career as an investment banker in Lower Manhattan, a million-dollar apartment high-rise, and a 6-figure bank account, and snotty, elitist attitude to boot. But, our snotty Yuppie friend has a secret....a dark secret! He happens to be a serial killer that can't be caught! How's that for terrifying! A Yuppie who's a douchebag, pompous jerk, a nerdy white guy is his own right and has a fetish to murder people.

AP is not your average horror film. There's no gore aplenty like in Friday the 13th or the Saw franchise, well there's the part where Bateman chases and eventually kills a woman with a chainsaw down a flight of steps and the bloody scenes inside Paul Allen's apartment. Most of American Psycho's horrid lure is based solely on human psychology wrapped in avant-garde surrealism of 80's Wall Street flash. It's all about craving for absolute attention and being considered a nobody even when you have everything you could ever desire at your feet. Bateman(played by Christian Bale) is both a disturbing and comedic character. Bale's performance has motion rooted in satire and mocks the upper-class lifestyle with perfection. In fact the whole cast except Willem Dafoe and Chloe Sverginy are satirical foils which are at first humorous, then irritating/annoying, then detestable.

The truth is almost every male in this movie is a self-centered asshole

that behaves more like a spoiled teenage girl in a locker room gossipping with her friends rather than executives in a boardroom. All they do is compete and talk behind each others backs. You still have the pompous jerk alpha male, the slut, the pure innocent girl, the geek, and the killer himself. With all horror films, the jerk, old bum, a few sluts, indeed get murdered, but it's done so brilliantly and with such discretion. American Psycho is enjoyable for having already obnoxious and rather stupid characters meeting there demise(except the homeless guy with the dog in the alley) that deserve to get killed. You're catching yourself cheering for Patrick Bateman whose the serial killer! Wow! A horror movie that makes you think is a wonderful experience that no one ever experimented before. It's like Sweeney Todd, only this time no one loses an eye and fun doesn't seem to stop!

My only criticism is that it could've used more of the 1980's stylistic touch, pastel-colored clothing, a Ferrari Testarossa speeding down Fifth Avenue, etc. What American Psycho should've done was focus on the mid-80's which truly defined the decade in question and evolve into the early 1990's. Because no one remembers 1988 and 1989 that much.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
W. (I) (2008)
Where's The Conspiracy and Intrigue?
17 March 2010
I thought whenever they would create a big-screen biography on one of our worst Presidents ever inaugurated it would be full of secrets that are on the borderline of libelous. Especially from Oliver Stone. Oh, how wrong I was...how wrong I was.

Before I explain what's wrong with film, I'll explain what's right with it. First off, we're offered a glimpse of his past....Brilliant move. It's like he is aimless and lacked skill on any front. It's like he's a reckless frat boy without direction. I know I'm not perfect, but I wanted to yell at this guy: "What the holy blue hell is wrong with you?!" and "He shouldn't be president at all. He shouldn't have a political career" I have to admit it was entertaining seeing a life evolve into the controversial figure who ran the United States into the ground for eight years...we have yet to recover from the illness. On some parts like his collapse in the woods, or his abstaining from alcohol can some what tug at your heart(if that's even remotely possible). You have to admit the casting was on dead performance. The plotting of the so-called War on Terror is humorous yet serious at the same time. Richard Dryfuss's portrayal of Cheney is spot-on and quite memorable, especially.

This film was disappointing because it didn't examine the whole story the story behind the story...like Nixon, the JFK assassination. Not only should Stone have visited Bush's past, but his defining moment and our nation's darkest hour on September 11th and how he linked it impossibly to Iraq. Where's the controversy? Where's the sordid details or intrigue that we come to expect from Oliver Stone? Maybe W isn't one of those films. Maybe it wasn't meant to be as serious as JFK and Born on the 4th of July. I can live with that. However, humor, lack-of- provocation notwithstanding, we need the a controversial Oliver Stone Biopic now, a 2000's version of JFK. If any character deserves a deeper analysis it's W.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A near-musical that has realism, grit and charisma.
17 March 2010
Not many musicals or movie where the musical stylings are a part of the film as the cast. Saturday Night Fever works because it shows the world of late 1970's New York City. One of the reasons why: It was done at the right time, not 10 years after, not 2 years before. 1977 was the heyday of the Disco movement...and you cannot get any better than the heart of Disco which is in New York. When someone hears the word "Disco" they often visualize happy, clean-cut people straight out of a Eight Is Enougb episode having a good time or a rabble of openly gay sex addicts. This movie shows neither.

SNF has no stereotypes to flaunt and exploit. The Moreno family is a struggling middle-class Italian family with their tensions. In fact, the main character, Tony is a womanizing, sexist, racist, profane bastard. Most mainstream movies then and now frown on this kind of character. He even rapes his rather attractive dancing partner, Stephanie! How's that for a hero?! Despite the recklessness, domestic abuse at the dinner table, and shameless use or racist slurs, there are bright point in the movie. Tony is devoted to his dancing no matter and he sees it as an art-form. By the middle of the film you want this boorish man to excel to a higher station. SNF is incomplete without the disco known as 2001 and Tony's remarkably impressive dance moves!

If only High School Musical were this impressive, serious, and intelligent, not-to-mention daring. Alas, the 2000's have no defining musical style like the 1970's did. In the end, you felt some sympathy for Tony Monero and all his faults. Saturday Night Fever is a classic that can never be duplicated no matter how hard one tries.
Christine (1983)
A Unique Concept in Familiar Territory
16 March 2010
Normally the only unmanned car that works well in above all others is KITT from the 1980's series Knight Rider. But Christine is a very rare exception to the rule. Indeed, she doesn't talk, but she has superpowers: impervious to fire, vandalism, etc.

This movie is a unique concept because you're wondering why is this red 1958 Plymouth so....you know, evil from the assembly line onward. But that's not the only aspect that capture my interest. It's the connection this car has with the film's main character, Artie who is a rather typical geek/bullied teen. He's pushed around by jocks and gear-head punks at school, led by the merciless Buddy Ripperton(yeah, real threatening name, there?) and criticized by his elitist, cold, snotty bitch of mother, Regina. His only sense of freedom and independence is found in Christine, a '58 Plymouth Fury in which he finds in the yard of an old hermit.

The chemistry between Artie Cunningham and Christine is established as Artie himself restores the possessed classic car to her former glory, despite being scoled and harassed by everyone. After Chistine gets beaten, almost destroyed by Ripperton and his goon squad, this is where the magic happens. She(the car)shows her dark side and creates Arnie's as she repairs herself and goes on a mission of revenge and murder killing or almost killing(if you count Artie rescuing his girlfriend Leigh from Christine's unseen choking grip) that interferes their man/machine relationship. You're almost rooting for Arnie and Christine because let's face it: The mother's pissy snob, his classmates are brawny hoodlums. Personally, I could identify with this classic case of intimidation. Besides, Seeing this old-school car kick some serious ass is a rather pleasant experience.

Christine adds a devilish mystique that is makes a fantasy horror film watchable. John Carpenter did his job in making a revenge fantasy done right from the get go. Finally, where did that evil spirit that was embedded into Christine's sheet metal and frame come from? Your guess is as good as mine.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Gem...A True Classic!
12 March 2010
In a decade of lazily-made movie remakes crafted in the most disgusting manner, to the point of the audience rolling their eyes and giving out disgruntled sighs and comments not for the faint of heart, this is an exception. Movies now are nothing more than cash cows for rather evil studio execs producing eye-candy for the stupid and thoughtless!

In comes Sweeney Todd. I originally thought that this was another ridiculous millennial horror movie, that fails to keep interest complete with masochistic lunatics abound. But not this time. I was first greeted with a rather melodious introduction by a young sailor saying how glad he is to return home. Then Sweeney chimes in with his more cynical verse done to absolute perfection. In fact, everyone who sings that doesn't usually sing does their part to perfection. I am impressed! Very impressed! The songs enables you to feel the characters' emotions! The acting is done with amusement and whimsy, you actually sense the actors' enjoy being in character. Sweeney Todd is pure musical ecstasy and a study in human psychology/duality until the end.

Yes, the ending. It's one to be remembered. It's no longer child's play or the musical with whimsy it was at the beginning. Spoiler! Heads up! Sweeney in total ignorance kills his wife (who has gone mad because of his absence and from Judge Turpin's advances turning her into a beggar) throws her down into the cellar where men are turned into meat pies. Second, is the scene where Mrs. Lovett is tossed into the huge fiery oven and burned to a cinder and you the audience see her do so while screaming bloody murder. Nice! And the last but not least, the boy taken in by Lovett kills Todd in revenge for Mrs. Lovett. Sweeney is left bleeding to death cradling his wife in a fatal and silent reunion.

Sweeney is a wonderful film and a wonderful musical. The funny and odd thing is that its has a gross usage of the infamous CGI! Not may movies can hold up this standard. Let's hope Alice in Wonderland is another hit in the world of Gothic depiction.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Alien (1979)
An Epic to Behold in All its Glory!
12 March 2010
The movie begins in an eerie dead quiet spaceship, then shocks you as the life support systems of the Nostromo activate themselves. You are introduced to bright florescent lighting and our crew is just waking up...you actually feel their reluctance to "rise and shine". After being exposed scenes of the usage of technology beyond our years, the Nostromo lands on an alien world...blah, blah, blah. It's all normal sci-fi formula until they come face to face in a alien incubator. Suddenly, Kane is almost assaulted by the alien parasite which was an odyssey in itself.

The most famous scene is the most chilling of all. You think Kane is in the clear as he is conversing and eating with his friends until...he vomits, spits, and groans in agonizing pain. The parasite grows and explodes in his stomach!! Now, tell me where the hell can you find an award winning film with this much gore(excluding Saving Private Ryan)? Normally, when things such as said incident happens it's usually in some poorly-directed, cheap, straight-to-DVD droll with a high-kicking pretty boy or some half-wit actress with phony D-cups in the starring role.

Anyway, the next hour or so is a deluge of twists and turns. Every time someone hears a noise, you think it's the Alien, that's growing even bigger. One by one, the eighth passenger is devouring the Nostromo's crew leaving only Lt. Ripley behind. This is where it gets intense. You are infected with her sense of impending doom with the invader in pursuit as she attempts to detonate and evacuate the ship.

Now comes the sermon: This is what science-fiction is missing...a plot with motion and emotion! Alien is not a dumb-ass, loud, stupid and stereotypical action fair like today: chock-full of CGI, plot holes, and moronic characters that are annoying and useless, and packaged with media hype! No! It's uses the right amount of special effects, plot, and suspense! Alien is a true sci-fi horror masterpiece for the ages! Let's hope the 2010's uses Alien's example.
CSI: Miami (2002–2012)
The Unreal World of Bruckheimer !!!!
23 April 2008
I do not hate this show. In fact I often find this show intriguing. Yeah, that's right! Intriguing! It has the mystique of the original CSI with the stylistic aura of the late, great Miami Vice! Unlike Cold Case! I wouldn't mind watching a marathon of this. CSI Miami has some pretty interesting characters, Horatio Caine, especially. But alas, this is not Miami Vice. In fact this is where CSI Miami falls short of the "winner circle" in my opinion of course. This show has none of the street cred grittiness of the 80's cop drama. Miami Vice not only displays the flashed-up culture of the South Beach social scene, but it examines the underworld in great detail. In CSI's case, we are exposed to mundane and obnoxious stereotypes from the African-American crackheads/gangbangers to the drug-pushing/child abducting White Trash venom. CSI Miami is in a shallow picture-perfect dreamworld. A dreamworld where everyone considered a normal citizen is under 50, drives a Lexus Lux-ed out SUV, lives in a subdivisions and wears a designer suit to work. And every woman is a thin gorgeous knock-out with model proportions. What cop would wear high heels to work? C'mon here!

Last but not least: That wise-ass blonde CSI cop with the Southern Accent, is the personification of the word "Bitch".
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Freedomland (2006)
It Needs More Salt and Gusto!!
5 January 2008
The movie Freedomland has a great workable concept going. A white woman's young child is kidnapped in a predominately black neighborhood. The crime causes racial tension, yada....yada...yada. The dialog is good but not great, as are the performances by Samuel L. Jackson and Julliane Moore. Although Jackson's legendary street cred gives this film a suitable main character and an energy boost. True, there is drama, suspense, and inescapable fact that you actually feel the tension between the residents of the Armstrong Projects and the mostly white Gannon Police Dept.

But my biggest gripe about the movie Freedomland is that: What does an defunct orphanage have to do with this case? The directors and writers, not to mention the editors have failed to put more emphasis around the Freedomland Orphanage or whatever kind of vile ancient kiddie torture chamber it was. Did Moore's character go there when she was younger? Was she possibly abused there and did it effect her decision later in life (i.e. her drug abuse and faking her child's kidnapping)? They have failed miserably. They also failed in avoiding the usual movie stereotypes and clichés when creating this imaginary New Jersey community. Most of the black residents look like they are almost ready to start a fight or something. Same thing with the white police officers. Look, I know that there is tension like this in cities all over and in-between but the "Angry Blacks VS. Evil White Male Cops" is getting old and stale as a bag of chips. Why couldn't the director bring the story into a real New Jersey city and take it easy with the racial clichés? I do NOT hate this movie, nor do I like it. Freedomland is like an upcoming car model concept not yet ready to hit showrooms. It looked great in on the stage during the show and in the magazine. But when the production model is introduced driven in the real world, one notices that the performance is sub-par and looks tame. You have to say to yourself that some one, somewhere (writing dept. and editing) has cut some major corners for penny pinching.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Tyra Banks Show (2005–2011)
Takes Narcissism To Another Level
21 March 2007
Do we really need another self-centered, wise-ass, uber-yuppie talk show host? I mean c'mon here people! Especially one who talks way too much and more than often about herself and her own little world. I can't stand this show, it's like....imagine fingernails on a chalkboard in Surround Sound amplified 3X. That sums up the Tyra Banks Show. What is more irritating is Tyra's disguises as fat people homeless drifters, etc. I mean come on does she really know how these people really feel? Real drifters and fat people can't take off the Special Effects suits and dingy clothes and return to a mansion in the Hills. The ugly truth is that she doesn't. In general, it's the usual bulls*^t topics: love, fashion tips, dieting, dating, racism/homophobia, etc. What talk show doesn't talk about these issues and sensationalize the opinions of a bunch of morons/victims airing their dirty laundry and making asses of themselves on national television. There is only one person that TB cares about....and that person is Tyra Banks, give or take a few high-profile rich celebrities from Hollywood...aw who am I kidding.
18 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A sci-fi thriller, a political satire, and campy B-movie all in one!!!
12 January 2007
I loved this movie!! It's satire of where American culture or Western Civilization is heading towards cleverly disguised as a intense sci-fi adventure! The characters are human and not stereotypes and cardboard cutouts. I mean you actually care about the good guys..really. As far as the villains are concerned, they're not the typical fascist interrogators or military tyrants one would expect. They're far worse than the cops in Escape from L.A. Try to imagine the whole nation is run by those producers and creators of all those dumb-ass reality shows, only 50 times more sadistic.The villains who in one of the final five scenes literally kills two people only to boost their ratings. Evil isn't the word Like Escape from L.A., its a campy action-packed bonanza with heavy political overtones like censorship, trash TV, and poverty that hit to close to home. The America in the Running Man is a police state where every media is censored and food, fuel, and population crises are rampant. In reality we have the good ol' FCC and a certain law that censors just about everything and shuts up everyone with difference of opinion, a fuel and food crises is just around the corner if we're not careful. Not-to-mention we are subject to mass distraction by Reality TV which is a psychological-damaging experiment made for our amusement. "This is where it gets extremely terrifying!!" I enjoyed this movie because of its resolution content. Whereas EFLA leaves you in the post-apocalyptic darkness, The Running Man leaves with the phrases: "Turn Off your Television!" "Rise up!" "Don't Believe what you see and hear!!" and this one's my personal favorite: "revenge on the assholes that run the show" In fact it's one of my favorite scenes: Ben Richards corners Killian near the launching pods. As Killian's personal bodyguard leaves him defenseless, Richards slams his ass into the pod exacting the same treatment Killian has done to him! Thus, sending him 200mph to a fiery doom ending with another Schwartzenegger one-liner "That hit the spot." In fact this movie is full of them. He calls Sub-Zero a "pain-in-the-neck" after he strangles him with razor wire. He says to Amber after he defeats Buzzsaw: "He had to Spilt!" Same thing with "Fireball" "What a Hot Head!" Proving that sci-fi movies should have a better sense of humor. That what makes "The Running Man" so appealing without sounding like "doomsday" or "Plan 9 from Outer Space".
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Walker, Texas Ranger (1993–2001)
Pure Cheese and Propaganda
10 January 2007
I'd never thought that I would be caught saying this: But I think "Dog the Bounty Hunter" is more entertaining than this 90's era cop drama. Walker is very melodramatic and actually set a standard of the genre of "High Octane" cop shows such as CSI, CSI: Miami, and so forth. I'm not saying all these shows are bad, but they aren't good either. I like the karate chop action that Walker dispenses on the enemies of justice, and the diverse cast of characters as much as the science tech of the CSI series. But there are some elements that I hate in a show like this. Stereotypes/Countertypes! That's right, Stereotypes/Countertypes! Unfortunately, this is a show for the moderates of Red State America who refuse to part with the old prejudices of yore especially when it comes to crime. For example, there was an episode in which a kid with psychic powers ventures into Dallas where he encounters group of kids in Goth/Punk clothing and they start harassing him. Now! This is exactly what Middle America perceives the Goth/Punk culture. I mean come on, how often do people that dress like that rob and steal from people just minding there own business. Whenever there are Blacks and Latinos in the plot it's always about gangs in some impoverished neighborhood. Okay! Not everyone who's a minority is a desperate recruit of a gang surrounded by crime, drugs, poverty. Again, this is what Middle Red State America sees of these people. Finally, Why is the Trivette the bumbling sidekick, can't you make the sidekick an equal ass-kicker?
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Little Too Subtle
8 November 2006
The assassination of Medgar Evers was one of the most shocking incidents during the Civil Rights movement. Being that, it should've been done with more attention to detail. If you are going to do a period piece of Evers then you going to have to show what this man did and have done to modern society in order for the audience to know who Medgar Evers really was. Hence, Ghosts of Mississippi should have focused more on the Evers and how he stirred up the ire of the KKK for the first half-hour/45 minutes of the movie then shown the murder. Makes sense, doesn't it? The set design was magnificent and authentic. Nothing was wrong with it. My only gripes are the characters. For example they're wonderfully acted, but not really convincing with the exception of James Woods disturbingly evil, but somewhat funny "old Kook" in boonies rendition of infamous assassin Byron De La Beckwith and Alec Baldwin as the driven and selfless District Attorney Bobby DeLaughter. The characters could have been a little bolder like in "The Long Walk Home".

You want people to hate this guy,Beckwith and you want see this film and feel like someone just punched you in the stomach. For example, as the DeLaughter family was being harassed; We could've seen the rawness of racist opposition not just a shattered windshield and name-calling and a sanitized version of a bomb threat at the family home! What bothers me, is that movies that involve racism and the South should give you a feeling of resentment, it shouldn't have a "Disney Channel" subtle tinge to it. This is the "Achille's Heel" that makes Ghosts of Mississippi fall short of a convincing murder mystery.

I'm not saying that I hate this film. I actually liked it, I still like it. But it could be bolder. A movie about the Civil Rights era in the South should convince you, shock you, anger you, and show various perspectives about the subject. That, my friends is what makes a docudrama stand out.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not Bad...Still
18 October 2006
Don't get me wrong, I do NOT hate Terminator 3. In fact I think it completes the story, unless they do a T4(which is unlikely due to the main character's current position in politics) what I do hate about this film is the fact that they changed directors. WHY?!!! No other director can provide the fantasy and the magic that only James Cameron can provide. He came up with the idea for "The Terminator" in the first place! Having a Terminator movie without him is like the Beatles without John Lennon. Now that is out of the way, the action holds your attention like the first two films did. The car chases weren't that as exciting as the 1984 original, sorry.

T3 doesn't have the "psycho killer" mystique of T1 or the violent barrage cliffhanger feel of T2, which this movie obviously needs. T3 becomes interesting in which the first couple of scenes in which John Connor's lieutenants were killed one by one in this time. One was a slackjawed pothead executed during a party!! I love potheads you might find on Dude, Where's My Car executed by a stranger with a gun. Thus proving that Terminator 3 is a film that has its moments. It gives very interesting plot twists that no one...I mean no one sees coming. Like the fact that "Judgement Day" couldn't be stopped...(I know this sounds trite)only to be survived. Not only that but Skynet was created by cyberspace all current technology. Which is very chilling that something that lethal can be under our noses without our knowing about it. The action was just similar to Star Wars III but not as epic. To some degree it was comical, not a white-knuckle face off, which a Terminator movie should have to begin with. The ending wasn't that grand, it could've been better. The effects could've grander and in disturbing detail with people burning to a crisp and the full effect of global chaos. In conclusion, this was not a boring movie,this is an interesting one that should've done better.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Junk Food for the Brain...Pure Garbage!!!!
22 September 2006
What the hell were they thinking when they made the awfully thoughtless decision to air this tripe? Almost, if not all the video clips are completely one-sided with an over-hyped, sensationalist narration! Many of the victims are complete dumb-asses who don't have the commons sense to put one pants leg on at a time and the narrator would have you and 75% of the audience (who are no more intelligent than the mindless chimpanzees feature on said reality clip show) believe that these are intelligent people who are victims. Victims? Yeah! Victims of their own stupidity and ignorance!!! These shows are for galactically stupid and the incredibly gullible. Why? Again said narrator would convince you that all these incidents are happening now. How do I know this? Well, the opening line is a dead giveaway! "The world is a dangerous place! Danger is lurking around every corner!" "WHAT THE F*$K?!" Oh that's very entertaining. It's bad enough that local and national news networks scare the sh@# out of us on a daily basis. This show has an agenda. That agenda is from the unholiest of places: A white, wealthy conservative male or Middle American housewife point of view.

You notice almost all the robbers are minorities(preferably violent young black men in ski masks)and all the young people are drunk college jock idiots compulsively on the rampage downtown and are COMING TO GET YOU!!!! The streets are crawling with violent police chases occurring outside your front door and that drunk drivers are again COMING TO GET YOU!!!

Yeah right! "Before you stock up on semi-automatic rifles, put minorities, homeless people, drug addicts, and immigrants into concetration camps, home-school your children, invest in a "panic room" and sign up for the John Birch Society, let me give you moronic fans of George W. Bush, elitist and souless gated communities, socio-economic segregation, deforestation, neofascistic AM-Radio psycho-pundit banter and of this show a friendly bit of advice: "These shows are often never updated. The majority of the clips are over five to seven years old if not older. They are NOT happening now! All right. Not all teenagers and minorities are criminal lunatics attacking everyone from behind the bushes.

Danger is NOT around every turn as these are rare occurrences! This isn't the world outside!!You are more likely to be stuck in traffic or divorced from your spouse then go through what these cheese balls are going through! It also has another agenda for the blue collar Archie Bunker and fat-ass delusional shut-in set: "Turn off the damn TV! get a job, and join humanity. Along with its reality show brethren, these shows should be cancelled...PERMENANTLY!! Get it!! Why? It condones obesity! They use scare tactics and sound bites people to believe that all minorities and teenagers are punks and criminal bastards and to be scared of every person around you!!! That way the viewing audience is terrified of venturing outdoors and will never do so...EVER!!! Except to spend a lot of green at big-box stores like Wal-Mart to get their Plasma screens, a two ton boxes of cookies, and DVD's of horribly acted movies. Thus, the only option is EAT and rot in front of the idiot box. At least that's my theory.

In conclusion, don't ever waste your time viewing this junk! This isn't COPS, COPS makes it work, as it tells the risks that go along with being a police officer! This...er..um.. does not. It'll make you paranoid and thinking the world is about to collapse. These shows are elitist, racist, and viciously one-sided with fear-triggered pro-consumption propaganda! People's misery is not and never, ever should be considered entertainment unless you are... RETARDED!!!
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great! The only movie from this century that I want to see over and over again!
1 September 2006
I had been waiting at the edge of my seat for "Episode III" to come out. That way, it answers every question any true "Star Wars" geek ever asked since 1977. We now know how Anikin Skywalker became the menacing and ruthless "Darth Vader". Remarkable transformation, though. A duel with his former mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi on a volcanic planet, Mustafar caused him to lose his remaining limbs and burn to a crisp resulting in him wearing that infamous black suit and helmet with that eerie breathing pattern. Chancellor Palpatine does a remarkable job of being the heinous "Emperor" which gives the film an added dose of "cred" to the sci-fi set. Samuel L. Jackson does give the appearance of strength and power to Ep. III, but seems to be miscast as Mace Windu. But Jackson has become a fixture in the past three movies, so much so, that I can't imagine putting another brother in his place.

The love story of Anakin and Padame is sappy and melodramatic and could've been more bolder and convincing. I have a real problem with the dialog for starters sounds mediocre and not as well rehearsed or as modernized and bold in which the original three films use the occasional "hell" and "damn" would have spiced up the feel or Episode 3. Why would you sensor this cult phenomenon? I'm not saying turn "Return of the Sith" into "Pulp Fiction" but give it that tongue-in-cheek modern language we saw in the first Star Wars in the 70's.

But what really annoyed me with the fact that most of this movie was a CGI dependent. I'm gonna' make this clear: "Star Wars should be part real-world setting, part puppetry/scale modeling, and part CGI...NO MORE, NO LESS! " Too much CGI cheapens the craft and believability of your film , too much old school special effects make it seem dated and corny. 50-50 would've won over many fans of the new generation. Nonetheless, this film has the action and the feel of the Star Wars saga, with its bold political statements such as the "Rise of the Empire" and the "Rise of the Rebellion" over the top and have the traditions of the epic battles of "Star Wars" that made it famous.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This Is Singleton's Best!
14 July 2006
This is an irreplaceable classic that displays not only displays Los Angeles, but "Urban America" that is not shown in the tourist travel brochures. It is a gritty slice of life inside South Central L.A. None, I repeat none of the characters are tokens or stereotyped in anyway. They are 3-D live and in color. With the exception of the Black police officer who threatens Tre during the "Friday Night at Crenshaw" scene. That is just crazy! Black police officer hating other Black people. I don't like it when fellow brothers and sisters act like hoodlums and sick bastards but that guy is a nutjob...Period. Insane cops notwithstanding, there are harsh stereotypes of the black community, especially women. I know the "da hood" isn't a place where manners are king and women do not act their best. However, this movie just enforces the stereotypes known through out the media as: "angry sista'" with a chip on her shoulder, the hoodrat party-animal, and lastly there's the stupid-ass crack whore with too many babies and so-on. Not all black women are have a big mouth and an ax to grind. But, in a world like this who doesn't! I don't hate this movie don't get me wrong. I hits home for many people. But there are some intelligent people in communities like this.

As tension mounts, each character in our story ponders about the near future, you can feel the anger that lies within Tre, Brandy, and Doughboy's mother, Brenda. Tre with his near-fatal encounter with the LAPD and the anger for his slain friend, Ricky, Brenda also dealing with Ricky's(her youngest son)death after a drive-by shooting and the fact that he could've attended college had he lived, and Brandy trying to do her homework, frustrated with the soundtrack of gunfire down the street. This is not "sugar-coated" drama nor is it pious or romanticized even thought it has a bittersweet ending. In fact most films such as this should have one. Most of life is a bittersweet ending that is unfair for many people. This is benchmark film that explains, although not in great detail the other Los Angeles, without BMW's, mansions, and those people who are blond-hair/blue-eyed and made of $10,000 plastic surgeries.

The only thing besides the death, tragedy, and drama of biblical proportions is the fact that really disturbs me is the fact that this is the same asshat that directed the utterly moronic and disgustingly juvenile "2Fast 2Furious"!
Corny....just Corny
14 July 2006
After seeing the low-budget shittier versions of the "Universal Soldier" franchise, I hoped and prayed that Van Damme reprised his role as Luc Devoreaux in a second Unisol movie. Well, it seemed this prayer was answered, but not the way I hoped. Universial Soldier 2 is just intense as poetry reading at your local library. No, even that would be more intriguing . The fight sequences are top-notch, Bruce Lee quality, which is the only redeeming factor in this entire pathetic excuse for a motion picture. That and having former WCW tough-guy legend "Goldberg" playing the villain. However, placing Goldberg as Seth's sidekick lieutenant would've been better.

We offended me the most was the setting of the movie itself. It's like some film school students slapped it together. The plot holes are that bigger than Kanye West's ego is what really did this movie in. For example: Luc's daughter, Hillary looks like she's at least 11-13 years old and the first movie was filmed only seven years ago. How is that possible? Tell me that! The part in which Luc's partner was killed off and turned into a Unisol is just re-goddamn diculous! You mean to tell me that there was an experimental Unisol exposed naked in the basement of the research complex at the beginning of the movie. C'mon. The director could've spent more time with this movie like the first one and sewn all the plot holes shut. But oooh nooo!

Speaking of the plot, IT SUCKS! Compared to the first movie, Universal Soldier 2's plot watered down and worthless. Where's the gritty thrills in which a Unisol goes berserk an re-enacts his last memories in a supermarket rampage thinking its Desert Storm or something ? This was the dawn of the Millennium, you would attracted more of an audience if this had taken place in a dystopia/Orwellian type of future cesspit. Corny is the correct adjective to describe this sad, sad, sad sequel.

From what I seen: Double Impact, Under Siege 2, Robocop 3, and hell, even the cheap-ass/no class Terminator knock-off "Class of 1999" is more entertaining than this!
Cliffhanger (1993)
Action-Packed
28 June 2006
I loved this movie when it came out on Pay-per-View! Loved this movie so much that I begged for my parents to get on videocassette. Cliffhanger is appealing for its breath-taking scenery of the Alps which posed as the Rocky Mountains, but both are impressive to behold in a movie such as this. The plot execution of a mid-air plane hijack/robbery was genius at best. No one except D.B. Cooper ever conducted such a daring and death-defying feat! The fight sequences were outstanding, something that is expected in a Stallone picture. Cliffhanger shows a lengthy and challenging "Race for Survival" in all of its middle acts.

But the most intense part of the movie was the film's very beginning, which starts out as a happy, cheerful mountain-climbing excursion. Then it turns into a nightmare, as the girlfriend of Michael Rooker's character hangs on to a broken harness by her fingertips. You can feel the terrorizing agony that this poor woman is going through. "Who wouldn't?" Stallone shows a heroic move to try to save her. This move was: "I'm just doing my job." action without ego-centrism. After ward her death brings a believable tension between Stallone and Rooker very convincingly played out. Nothing was lame , dumb, and pathetic in the movie at all. With the exception of the ending. Ahh! The ending. Who could forget the makeshift and rather watered down fight scene on the upside-down helicopter between Lithgow and our hero? This was an afterthought; poorly planned and barely convincing. Lithgow's character Qualen was undoubtedly evil and didn't suffer enough as the rest of the cast. The theme is "Survival or Death" not wussy schoolyard fight. Cliffhanger is worthy of my praises and would suggest this film to anyone with an action fetish.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Powerful and Chilling
28 June 2006
This is a very detailed description of the Black Experience living in the segregation-era South. I don't how people could tolerate such brutality and quasi-fascism like Whoopi Goldberg's character had done in the movie. Nothing is neither sugar-coated nor pious and romanticized for your viewing pleasure. In the Long Walk Home, you can feel the hell of the Black residents especially the maids and midwives right down to their aching feet. You can feel the anger and hurt and fear of Cotter's children when they were encountered and attacked by three racist youths in a city park. You sense the burning hatred of white community ready to counteract the issue of Civil Rights and the bus boycott during Christmas dinner where the senior Mrs. Thompson clearly spewed her bigoted opinion at the table and at the very end of film not only that you felt like you were one of the protesters there on the scene, being taunted and insulted. Spacek's character shows a glimmering sense of naiveté, intelligence, a sense of hope and influence that the resistance to segregation had on a growing number of whites at that time. However, it seems to me that she is the token white sympathizer that most of these films have, although necessary. It's sad to see only the younger Mrs. Thompson and her daughter the only non-racist white people in the entire movie who bothered to question the segregationists. Sometimes movies like these are too brutal for the senses. It makes you ashamed that you live in America. It could be a little too overpowering. Therefore, why couldn't the director add a little sour cream into this 7-alarm chili by adding a scene in which Mrs. Thompson is not the only non-racist by have other women and children explain why they do the racist taunts and bullying because they if they don't join in the bullying "festivities" then they'll become targets/victims just like Mrs. Thompson and the Cotters.

The characters for the most part were very convincing three-dimensional people, not stereotypes, clichés, thrown into the mix to inform the audience: "You are in 1950's Alabama!" The dialog has a tendency to punch your face and grab hold while doing so, refusing to be politically correct and soothing. This movie makes shocks you, intrigues, and makes you angry at all almost every other white person in the film. And it will! Trust me! LWH has the power and the punch and accuracy that the rather corporate -sponsored high school history lesson with a Disney Channel heart "Ghosts of Mississippi" seemed to be lacking.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Aviator (2004)
I actually liked it !!!
6 June 2006
I give this movie 9 out of 10 for the rather unusual color scheme the director picked. It has the appearance of a colorized black and white movie from the 1920's and 30's. Not bad for a film made in the era of bling-bling and grotesque remakes. We are introduced to the life of Howard Hughes, eccentric millionaire and ace pilot. DiCaprio plays this character with Titanic-like perfection that is tolerable for someone who still sounds like a 16 year-old going through puberty. The special effects are wonderful and not overblown excuse to cover up horrible acting. Cate Blanchett makes a terrific Kathrine Hepburn the way she sounds and behaves is uncanny. The only thing that is missing from that performance is the famous quote: "You're my night in shining armor." But what really makes the movie stand out is the "Big band-style Jazz" that leaps out at you and makes you a part of the film.

In the age of CGI overload and the industry cries of priacy despite the retarded decision to churn out silly dimwitted comedies such as "Garfield" and "Taxi" (not the 70's sitcom)and horrible remakes case-in-point "The Dukes of Hazzard" there is hope and sanctuary from these mindless experiments gone awry. Film such as "The Aviator" are one of those sanctuaries for our viewing pleasure. "It can't be! Hollywood still actually makes movies?" Maybe I was a little too hard on the new generation of films, but it's not the same as in ages past.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
First Blood (1982)
I wish they still made movies like this!!
6 June 2006
This has to be one of Stallone's best films....PERIOD! Why? Well, there are no big, bloated CGI bull in First Blood, they stuck with the gritty, risk-taking, and at times life-threatening realism that I think every good action film needs("Are you listening Jerry Bruckhimer and Michael Bay?")when dealing with cliff jumps and deadly trek in the woods. The characters are bold and actually hold your interest for more than two minutes.

First Rambo discovers the last of his old Vietnam combat buddies has died of cancer(from exposure to Agent Orange)and enters an almost autistic state of depression. Then, Rambo is left alone to roam the highways without a direction or a care...until he came into the town of Hope(which is anything but hopefull)The town sheriff William Teasle for reasons unknown kicks him out of Hope. Rambo protests quietly asking why and gets a surly response. Rambo then calmly returns over the town line only to be locked away in a cell while being harassed by Teasle's men especially Galt(who was a brutal monster cop) Eventually, Galt's abuse, Teasle's accusations, shower torture, and etc has brings Rambo's sanity to its breaking point. His psychotic break re-activates his training as a Green Beret in Fort Bragg. Suddenly, he mops the floor with the arresting deputies and escapes into the woods. I have to admit it was the best car chases I've seen in a Stallone movie.

But there's more! Once Rambo escapes into the forest his survival skills take over. Now it's cops' turn to beg for mercy. The best part is when our hero sets up a series of booby traps using sticks, stones and a 9-inch Bowie knife. It's non-stop action and suspense, as several officers are stabbed, lynched, and impaled on the said booby traps. The part that had me jumping for joy is when Rambo takes on a helicopter with a rock causing Galt to fall to his death. "Well for someone that was a borderline White Supremacist/Bullying- pig cop from hell he deserved it!"

Attacking cops is not advisable, even when they are brutish assh*les. But if you think about it, Rambo is going through the same experience that P.O.W's and minorities go through when encountered by overzealous authority figures which makes the audience(myself included) relate and feel sorry for the guy. You want the protagonist to take on the National Guard and the State Police and Teasle hick-dick department. Normally, the ending of action movies are dull, cheapened, and disappointing. Well, as low-budget as this feature is...First Blood is not one of them. In a thirst for combat and blood-lust he destroys a gas station with a cigarette lighter! Then destroys a sporting goods store with gun powder! Last but not least, Rambo lays waste to the Hope Police Station with an M-60..what a trip, whereas Teasle is shaking in his boots on the roof. In a series of shots Rambo takes him down, not before he comes to his senses in an emotional tirade. You still have feelings for such a person...just destroyed by war.

I wish Hollywood still made movies like this, because First Blood did not have hype to sell tickets and DVDs! First Blood did not rely on CGI nonsense! This movie had originality, guts, and a sense of resolution. However, they could put a little more emphasis on why did the Sheriff hold so much animosity towards Rambo.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sadomaschistic Trash
13 February 2006
I'd rather watch Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Scream, and Carrie than this pile of garbage! Why? You ask? Well this version of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre is absolutely dark and disturbing. There is nothing that makes sense in its 80-something minute time span! NOTHING! Tell me something: Why would you go into to remote wooded area that is spookier than Ed Gein's basement during Halloween and in dress clothes? But alas, it's classic horror movie murder victim's logic. I can stand the first half hour of the movie or so. I can't stand to watch this cinematic disaster drag on. But I got to admit Reene Zellwegger looks kinds of HOT without her "nerd" look with her hair down.

If you are going to make a horror film put some logic and plot identification so we know just what the bloody hell we're looking at, okay! Nothing pisses me off besides the stupid-ass kids who took a wrong turn into a closed section of highway, than the crazy redneck(played by Matthew McConaghey)with the artificial leg going psycho literally beating the hell out of every woman in the movie, the son-of-a-bitch even sets one of them on fire!

Why is this nutty bastard doing this? Why is he this way? If he's that damn paranoid then send his ass to the mental ward, retards! That makes a lot of sense...even in rural Texas!! Everything he says is an excuse to see more gratuitous violence and abuse. Aren't these people supposed by cannibals or something? Because it would've made a better and legitimate horror shockfest if we see the only survivor's(played by a young Renee Zellwegger)friends turned into the main course instead of just battered and set ablaze for no reason This is the worst and most disturbing re-incarnation of a movie I've ever...(emphasis on EVER) seen!!! In fact, this insults the original Tobe Hopper 1974 cult classic! That has some imagination to it, whereas this is a mindless sadistic white-trash snuff film!!
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this