zerogirl42

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Horrible. Absolutely Insulting., 9 October 2006

This film is crammed with too much hipster language. Perhaps it's being used as a device to camouflage a very poor film. It's trying so hard to be witty and funny, but fails miserably. The sex and violence were very graphic and not in an artistic way. It certainly didn't help the story and just seemed to be stuffed in everywhere to fill plot holes.

Lucy Lu needs an acting lesson and the script was written by someone who must have just read the book "Writing Monologues for Dummies." How someone could enjoy this film is beyond me. If there was a sequel to Pulp Fiction that was made by a third-rate writer and director with ADHD, Slevin is what would have been produced.

I'm not going into the boring and predictable plot here. I'm just going to highlight two points.

1) Any film where the characters start quoting/summarizing plots from classic films is trying to ride on the coat tales of greatness. In this mediocre film, Slevin (the main character) compares his life to Jimmy Stewart in Hitchcock's North by Northwest in a long, stupid monologue.

2) Have you ever seen The Simpson's episode where Lisa discovers she's a vegetarian and insists on a veggie meal in the cafeteria? To squash her opinion, the school shows a Troy McClure video that promotes eating meat and claims that anyone who is a vegetarian is a moron. Lisa exclaims at the end of the film "Are you really going to swallow this tripe?" to the other students. The teacher responds by asking the student to help themselves to some tripe that was donated by the meat council. This class digs in.

Considering the high ratings on IMDb, I suppose a lot of people swallow this tripe. It's sad. Very very sad....

Lot's of laughs, 30 August 2006

I love this show and was very sorry to see it canceled. It was like a low-brow Seinfeld. Instead of clean-cut, comedian like Jerry, George Carlin's character is a rather sloppy, unbathen cab driver. He's a single guy with his circle of wacky friends. Action usually takes place in his apartment or in a local bar that his friend's gather at (which is sort of like Monk's as a hang-out spot in Seinfeld). I enjoy Carlin's Stand-up comedy, but he's always pretty funny when he takes on an acting job (he out-shines Bette Midler and Shelley Long in Outrageous Fortune).

It would have been nice if the show lasted longer. I have one episode that I taped off the TV that I drag out to show friends. It always yields laughs. I just wish I could fine a place to buy or watch the other episodes.

The comedy isn't for everyone. I wouldn't recommend it for people who like shows such as Friends or Mad About You.

Edit: I found a place on AOL to watch it, but you can see where Fox dubbed in other words (apparently they found the show too offensive). You also need to watch commercials, but at least it's available somewhere. I'd enter the link, but I don't think it's allowed here.

I Couldn't Stop Laughing, 30 March 2006

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang cleverly weaves together film noir and black comedy to create an edge-of-your-seat thriller/mystery. This seems like a lot to tackle, but somehow the film works and works very well.

When I saw the trailer I thought this was going to be a whole story based on Robert Downey Jr. hiding his true identity. This is not so. This is just where the story begins. I'm so tired of trailers giving away the entire story. That doesn't happen in KKBB. The story gets quite complex and leads you on quite a ride. In fact, the pacing is like an adult version of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at Disneyland. Tons of surprises and clever humor puts this on par with the best comedies I've ever seen. There's some very creative editing and fun narration which would normally get on my nerves (I hate the voice-over that over explains everything), but instead it really adds a nice dimension to understand how Harry, the lead character, perceives what's happening around him.

There's a lot of poking fun at the entertainment industry in LA. The lead actress is an aging starlet. Having lived in LA myself, I have to say the observations of the culture there are dead on.

Having been a teenager in the 1980s, it's quite refreshing to see some of the old heart-throbs of my youth becoming seasoned actors. Kilmar plays against type as a gay detective and Downey plays Harry, a good guy who ultimately makes some of THE WORST decisions. Downey expresses quite a range in this film. I found myself rooting for all the lead actors.

You have to be awake to enjoy this film. The high energy, subtle hints and quick dialog requires attention to catch everything. I didn't find it draining though. I just wanted to make sure that I caught all the humor because it was so funny. I laughed about as much as when I saw the 40-year-old virgin, but this is anything but a sex story.

(Possible spoiler here to give an example of the comedy)

There's a bunch of clever comedy and I was quite amused by the poking fun at a Star Wars ending (I'm referring to the end of episode 6 when all the ghosts are there and well at the end). I'm not going into anymore detail except that Abe Lincoln being in the film actually worked!

There's a classic, but unfortunately truthful line about aspiring actresses in LA all being from other places. Harry says, "I swear to God, it's like somebody took America by the East Coast, and shook it, and all the normal girls managed to hang on."

(end of spoiler)

V is for very, very, bored, 26 March 2006

I kept waiting for something interesting to happen, but it didn't. I was squirming in my seat when the second hour rolled around. Perhaps if I had just taken a contemporary American society class at a liberal college this film would have dazzled me (that was me SEVERAL years ago), but the social commentary is nothing new to me now. I found the film to be old news and a bad photocopy of a lot of other films and ethics textbooks.

Basically the film romanticizes terrorism as a way to defeat a fascist government. The funny thing is that the government sets up the illusion of the country being threatened by terrorists doing biological warfare, when the government actually created these experiments in the first place. One of the experiments gets free and has a vendetta against the government. It has a similar plot to the recent Aeon Flux film without the cloning factor. The film also romanticizes homosexuality in an oppressive, Christian society. I'm not judging these aspects here, I just wanted to summarize the themes.

My main problems with the film: I found the characters to be two-dimensional, the plot to be predictable and the pacing to be painfully slow. The visuals were dark except for the scene with a pedophile bishop and lesbians falling in love. I didn't find the film inspiring. The dreary style and tone of the film dragged. Also the monologues kept pushing the same ideas. By the end, I didn't care what point the film was trying to make (I knew that within the first five minutes of the film from a long monologue). I just felt beaten down with repetition after two hours of being slapped in the face with liberalism. The theme didn't matter. It could have been fascism or Christianity and I would have felt the same way with this style of film-making

I wish I had just rented the director's cut of Blade Runner. It would have been way more satisfying.

A 1950s Scifi/Horror Movie with a Better Budget, 26 March 2006

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this film. I expected it to be much worse from the reviews, but was pleasantly surprised. The acting wasn't cheesy and the monsters were interesting. My main complaint were things that I could excuse like poor CG and green screen. With all the budget problems, it's totally understandable.

The plot holes were terrible, that's my main complaint. If you tend to over-analyze movies or apply practical science to the film, it will just p*** you off. Don't expect top of the line cinema here. Just some good laughs. It's not very scary, but I hate being scared. It's on par with a 1950s sci-fi, horror movie.

Sideways (2004)
Depressing, Pathetic and Stupid (comments are more Summary than spoilers), 16 November 2005

An aging actor goes on a binge to sleep with as many women as possible a week before his wedding. With the help of his alcoholic friend, he travels around California and tries to get him laid too. This is not a comedy (it was in the comedy section of the video store). Instead it leaves you with the message that it's OK to sleep with other women if she doesn't find out. Couple that with a buddy to vouch for your alibi and that's the movie in a nutshell. This is the worst film I've seen in a long time. The characters are shallow, stupid and insulting. What a waste of two hours of my life. One of the most divisive movies I've ever seen. If you want to see an independent film, rent The Jacket.

A Light Romp Through the Grimm Woods, 7 September 2005

My rating is based on my love of strange, unclassifiable films that make me laugh. There haven't been many films in the past five years that have an absurd, comedic element. The closest I can think of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but for these types of films, The Brothers Grimm delivers. There are touches of Monty Python humor and some amazing visual effects scattered through out. Gilliam captures the look of another time amazingly well. People have bad teeth, dirty clothes, messy hair and poor hygiene. This creates a great back-drop for the hauntingly beautiful actresses in the film. It's lighter than Gilliam's more recent films, but it had a wacky pacing more like Time Bandits.

I like when a movie doesn't try to spoon-feed me. There's an interesting dynamic that goes on between the brothers and their relationship to magic. What other reviewers call distractions were entertaining and creative tangents that always had some element to help the viewer understand the characters better. It was so refreshing to see a film without product placement. Gilliam has a talent for creating a totally different reality. There were a lot of fun elements in The Brothers Grimm. It reminded me of eating a bunch of Jellybellies (lot's of variety, fun surprises like the red inside the watermelon flavor, and weird flavors like when you bite into a coconut one and get a popcorn one instead). Unfortunately, I know someone is going to compare it to Bertie Bott's Beans. Oh well.

This film is not for everyone. There are some gruesome parts that are not for the squeamish (I'm an animal lover and had to cover my eyes for one scene, there's no sugar-coating). Also I would have changed or deleted the last five minutes of the movie. If you like fairy tales and fun adventures, this might be for you, but don't expect a deep film like Brazil.

A Depressing Train Wreck followed by a Swan Song, 3 September 2005

I rented this with low expectations, but I wanted to see a stupid, romantic comedy. Well, this didn't even qualify for the B-type or so bad-it's-funny type of movie. No laughs. No romance. Just a spiral of worse followed by terrible topped with stupid. The characters are mean spirited and selfish, which could have been done rather well, but the film just turns into a tired, rehashing of the Jerry Springer show. No one really wins or learns anything redeemable in this film. What a waste of talent.

The following my contain minor spoilers:

Murphy worships Diane Sawyer, Carly Simon and the film Working Girl. Be forewarned, the triumphant song at the end of Working Girl and ballads by Simon are injected throughout the film to illicit emotion. The dialog was so cliché that my friend and I could complete several lines while watching. The movie gives the message, ignore your friends and lovers to get a better job and be sure to follow your mother's stupid advice.

The Island (2005)
A Two Hour Commercial for Aquafina, XBox, Puma, Ben & Jerrys, Michelob, and more..., 20 August 2005

"Let's find a way to sell our products and have people PAY to see the advertisements." This must have been what the marketing executives said when they conceived of this film, that is more of a LONG commercial than a movie. Okay, I'm aware of product placement in films. We've all grown up and seen it. Most of the time it's easy to ignore, but this film's cinematographer must be the king of product pushing. Just about every scene begins with a closeup on a featured product and spends several seconds lingering upon it. Couple that with the size of a movie screen and a beer can becomes the size of Godzilla! These advertisers must have said to each other "Sci-Fi films are hot right now. Let's use that as the vehicle and jam as many products in there as we can." I could write the whole list of product that I remember from the film, but I don't want to spoil it for everyone (please, sense my sarcasm here).

As for the plot, it has an interesting premise, but there are so many holes in its execution, I wonder how people can actually think this is a great film? If you're interested in sci-fi, see classics like Blade Runner (director's cut), Logan's Run, White Dwarf, Brazil, Gattaca, or Star Wars 4, 5, or 6. If you like action, rent any of the Die Hard series or The Long Kiss Goodnight. When Blade Runner pushed Coke, it was done in a creative way by showing advertising in the future. It didn't detract from the film. Please save your money and don't waste your time on this garbage. At least you can mute the commercials when you watch TV.

My rating is a 1 because of the decent cast and good acting (I guess the advertisers could afford to throw a lot of money at the excellent cast). I refuse to encourage the making of these kinds of films and shame on the people who enable this. I guess the world is going the way of Demolition Man where every restaurant in the future is a Taco Bell. By the way, Demolition Man is also in the mix as a film to see if you want to laugh. It's sci-fi that makes fun of itself. Other films like this are Sleeper and Galaxy Quest. My point is there are so many better films than The Island. See those instead. If you simply must see something on the big screen right now, see Batman Begins or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. You should only see The Island if it's for free or you'll be wanting your $10 back.

A lot the the positive comments I have seen for this film read like a mad lib (fill in actor here, fill in movie here, **insert name** is really hot). If you look at the yahoo comments, there is no history on the reviewer and they don't bother to even do a detailed review. I can just see a PR person with a random name generator like they have for hot mail inserting all of these to recoup some of the losses for this summer flop.

Pure, Asinine Genius., 15 July 2005

I'm giving this movie a 10, not because it's a classic, but because for the B-movie genre, it's one of the best I've ever seen. The cheesy computer effects are hilarious. It's one of those films where you wonder "How much weirder is this going to get?" If you can get into the mind of a sentimental dreamer, this won't disappoint. How can you resist Julia dressed as Humphrey Bogart? Pure, asinine genius. If you go into this with a sense of humor. It's a lot of fun. Even with it's obvious continuity flaws it manages to entertain. If you like anteaters, be forewarned. There's a lot of anteater bashing. The plot is like a low-budget "Total Recall." Heat the popcorn and get ready to laugh.

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]