rdehl

I liked this a lot, though I have only seen it once, 4 February 2005

WOW! I thought I was the only one who had ever seen or heard of this movie? Thanks so much for having a link to buy a copy. I will do so before next Christmas.

It is not really an americanized version of the Dicken's Clssic, I guess, but it takes place in 1930's New England, rather than Victorian England? MR Slade is not as mean as Mr Scrooge, he is just out of touch and seems to have forgotten all the people who made him what he is? He shows his cluelessness when he gives the hungry boys a book (I think it was a Horatio Alger book?) instead of giving them a meal? One of the striking things about it is the way he goes back to the orphanage and finds someone just like him and takes him to the now-ruined furniture factory. You hope that he inspires him, but you wonder if this boy will end up repeating Mr Slade's life? Of course, Mr. Slade did was not married, nor did he have a lovely daughter? i hope that Turner or AMC re-discover this little gem!

A GREAT Movie!, 4 February 2005

I finally got the video last Christmas! My brother and I like the story because it reminds us of growing up in Evanston, IL in the 1950's. Same kinds of folks, sames kinds of issues.

Plus, I cheered when he beat us Farkus, since I was always bullied when I was a child! The sequel "A Summer Story" is also worth watching!

Love the scene in the Chinese restaurant.

The ongoing commentary by Jean Shephard himself is worth the movie too!

Belongs up there with "It's A Wonderful Life" and "A Charlie Brown Christmas!"

Also, who can forget the scene when Flick gets his tongue stuck to the flagpole?

If you did not grow up during the baby-boomer's, it is probably hard to identify with this movie, but watch it anyway!

A surreal movie which must be watched more once to appreciate it., 3 February 2005

Hi! I have been an Orson Welles fan for years and have a VHS or "Citizen Kane," and "Touch of Evil." Now that I have a DVD, I will look for DVD's of other Welles' classics.

I saw "Touch of Evil," in a video catalog about 4 years ago and asked my sister to get it for me for Christmas. My mother and I watched it, and I must say it was the weirdest and most surreal movie I ever saw! (That is a compliment, BTW) The story is odd and, at least to me, compelling, but I can see why in 1957-58, it would not have been well-received. I thought Charleton Heston made a very convincing Mexican (Of the European Ruling-Class type) and could not believe how Orson had made himself so homely! He was a hefty person even then, but that face and all made him grotesque! If you are not into cerebral movies, I would not recommend it, but if you are, I find it highly entertaining. Just do not expect to get a lot out of it the first time. Watch it a number of times and then you will appreciate it more.

I found it hard to believe that that goofy hotel clerk went on to be Chester and McCloud!

Why Norton was on the roof..., 14 January 2005

The way I see it is that he suspected that John was going to try this and was telling him that it would not be worth it, because he claimed that he would destroy the letter. John told him he had already thought of that and was going to jump anyway and even threatened to take Norton w/ him. I thought it was a very moving touch in the ending.

As far as the scene in the hotel room. I saw it as an attempt to show the "everyman" in Long John Willoghby and also as a bit of comedy (Capra seemed to be good at this)

Capra was a "Populist" and was famous for the mundane details of his character's lives.