bobjohnson994

Better than some say, 12 March 2014

I actually thought this was a powerful episode. Are there plot holes? Sure, but the emotions of the children, the creepy Angel, Kirk going off the deep end, Spock's contest of will with the alien...

I thought it made it worthwhile.

Also, there was enough tension because it was not clear how it would end.

I am also probably affected by having watched it as a kid, it stuck in my mind.

In any case, since I need to write more for a review, I would like to go stylin in that outfit the angel wore.

Gacy House (2010) (V)
Asylum Issues, 3 January 2014

This movie put out by Asylum...

I cannot find the review right now, but one other reviewer said their were some problems with all Asylum movies, that they repeat the same lines over and over, because they have nothing to say. This observation nails it. Listen for people saying the same things over and over, and I mean within seconds, not just as the movie progresses.

Then there is this technique of "people chatter about nonsense until the lead character takes over the scene". This too was overused.

None of the characters say anything personal, except during their 10 seconds introduction on the film.

They also copy about 12 different stunts from Paranormal Activity - I don't mind a few, but seriously... I could come up with something different for the entity to do if I spent about 15 minutes thinking about it... but I won't, I was supposed to be entertained, not be the entertainer.

Even for a micro-budget, they could have done better.

The only thing I liked was the genre they are pursuing.

Riddick (2013)
It's Riddick, that is what you need to know., 2 January 2014

This is a great movie. Is it somewhat a copy of what happened in Pitch Black? Yes. Does it matter? No.

If you like the character Riddick....RIDDICK....you will like this movie. Vin Diesel plays the character with obvious passion, and it shows. Some characters are so icy that even casual lines they deliver can be chilling.

There is also a bit of humor among the suspense, Riddick being such a bad ass that even his rough antagonists give him some space! If you loved Pitch Black, you will love Riddick.

Read some articles on the making of this movie - Vin put his own money into this movie, he's been wanting to make it for 9 years.

Also benefits from being rated R, not having to satisfy the Hollywood types because of the deal Vin made.

Best of the Horror Elements, 23 June 2013

This is the best of the creeper series. The issue with all horror movies is - how does the Evil interact with the protagonists, without just killing them outright at the beginning of the movie? This film answers that question well.

I need to write an extra line in the middle here.

A few jump scares, lots of tension, and a unique baddie. One of my favorite horror movies of all time. You have to love this line: Every 23 years, for 23 days, it gets to feed(!) Awesome premise.

You really feel you are there and dealing with the threat yourself.

I cannot wait for JC3 to come out.

Shadowland (2008)
All Eyes on Caitlin, 29 March 2013

I give this a solid 4 out of 10, without any curve adjustment for being independent, so that is not a bad score.

I agree with one commenter that it is almost like watching a lost soul who is an addict, wandering around, looking for purpose.

Also, I think if women thought they could get biceps like Caitlin, they would volunteer for vampirism!! What is going out in the day compared to having guns like that to show off? I also think Caitlin pulled off the contrast between her feisty, pre-vampiric self, and her broken, insecure post vampire self. She is a good actress in that regard.

I fault the writing a bit. Some of the tension between the Hero and the black pastor was too contrived, they could have handled that differently.

Still, an enjoyable watch, glad I rented it. I hope she does more work in the future.

Caitlin! Flex for us! :)

Written by dumber people, 1 March 2013

I would have given this a 6 out of 10 if it had not come from the rich tradition of the previous grudge movies.

I agree with some other posters that the one "cheapened" the tradition a bit by becoming a slam bang action horror, more absorbed by how people were going to die, rather than weave a complicated story.

It is much like people with a 130 IQ who created the Grudge concept, handed it off to some screenwriters that had a 98 IQ, and they missed all the nuance that made this franchise unique.

That being said, the camera angles and directing were pretty good, with what they had to work with.

Also, I dislike when a horror movie when there is no good reason why the apparent solution does not work. You need to do better to satisfy the intellect.

Bizarre retro 80s, but good anyways, 22 October 2012

Do you have any nostalgia for those 80s horror movies that make no sense whatsoever? Then you will enjoy this movie.

The plot devices they use keep people in the thick of it are stretched beyond all imagining, but where would the movie go if all the characters just left? So we can at least be amused by this. Three people experience nightmarish visions? I know, let's investigate further! (lol) Then there is the hard driving amped up pop soundtrack, so different from the somber mood of the 70s horror.

I will not give away any of the plot devices, but late in the movie, something supernatural happens at the hotel to keep the people from leaving. When you see it you will think "if something can do that, why didn't they just drop a piano on them the moment they walked in the door? xD

Better than some reviewers say, 21 December 2011

I want to agree with the reviewer Jon Doe. They did a great job with what they had. Yes the acting could have been better, yes the script could have been better. But the music was great, the outdoor scenes were good, and if you are a hardcore horror fan, you should check out this movie - it is a good popcorn movie with friends.

I also want to agree that although these ideas have been used before, they are good ideas, and that is why they are copied.

The movie has a good climax also.

The bare midriffs on the girls is always a nice touch. The lead actress has a face to forget, but a body to love.

Toby on the plantation, 16 November 2011

Its been about 3 weeks since I saw this movie but I am compelled to write.

I would put PA1 as the best, PA2 as slightly less, and PA3 as slightly less than that in terms of quality. However, I think all 3 movies are far superior to other horror crap out there.

So even thought I loved the movies, I have to rant about PA3, but don't think I did not like it. I did.

In PA1 we had an evil entity that was completely unfathomable as to how it thought. It was a GREAT alien, evil character, living on a plane of reality we could not imagine.

By PA3 we learn that "Toby" is just a lackey for a witch coven. He is merely a step and fetch it demon for the grandmother. This takes away any kind of evil intelligence "Toby" might have had, and makes the entity a less impressive character. I am not as frightened of Toby, because now I know he is just "doing as he is told". What a horrible story idea. Also, now we have to ask - why summon the demon at all? Why have it torture your daughter or granddaughter if the idea is just to produce a male child? It makes no sense at all. At least with a smart and powerful demon, it becomes more chilling if it does things that seem irrational TO US, but not to it. Anyone agree with me?

Don't believe the negatives, 25 August 2011

I watch a lot of Horror movies, and this movie does not deserve the bad rap it gets from people. Note that there are 34,780 reviews, does that sound like a movie people think is worth commenting about? This is a movie I've watched many times.

Solid acting, atmospheric set, great location, deceit, terrific sound effects Catherine Zeta Jones. Did I mention Catherin Zeta Jones? At the height of her youth and beauty? And if Steven Spielberg had anything to do with it, he did not muck things up too badly.

The only thing I would have changed would be to make it a little more rough - more violence, more terror. This is why I do think Spielberg had a hand in it and tried to make an "ET" of it, but there is still plenty to like .