Unknownian

Poorly written episode, 22 July 2013

Dexter is my favorite series, and the only reason I subscribe to Showtime. However, this, the final season, I have been disappointed. This episode in particular was just plain stupid for many reasons. I'll just mention one: Dexter decides to lure his next victim out of hiding so he can do him in. So he calls his potential victim from the hospital room of the victim's Father, telling him to come quick, because his Father's heart is giving way. The "concerned" target rushes to the bedside of his Father. So what does Dexter do? Instead of waiting for him outside the hospital, and injecting him with the knockout drug; he chooses to wait "in the Father's Hospital Room" with his needle.

What was he going to do? Inject him in the room, and carry an unconscious victim down the halls of a Hospital, smiling at the nurses? DUMB. He should have waited outside the Hospital, and captured his prey as he exited his car, then throw the unconscious body in Dexter's SUV......as usual. Then take him to his prepared Kill Room for the nasty deed.

As soon as I saw Dexter waiting in the Father's Hospital room, I knew this would be a failed attempt, and the writers had no intention of ending the victim's life in this episode. Then the victim sees Dexter, and pulls his Father's oxygen tube from his mouth, to set off the alarm and alert the nurses so he could escape. Then Dexter makes the DUMB comment that this guy rather see his Father die, than be caught.

The victim already proved he loved his Father by immediately showing up at the Hospital, so the writers were REALLY out to lunch in this scene.

Also this season, they destroy the entire concept of Dexter's Dad being the cool inventor of "the Code", and make him out to be a wimpy loser that ends up killing himself, because he couldn't deal with Dexter becoming a serial killer. For me, bringing in Charlotte Rampling as the Shrink who really invented the code, was a poor judgment call by the writers, and negates all previous episodes with the cool Dad being imagined in Dexter's mind giving Dexter his advice. Sad way to end perhaps one of the best series ever.

Still "Very Good"......not Great., 15 July 2013

My first disappointment and bewilderment, was the new arrangement of the theme song played during the opening credits. What possessed Sorkin to tweak perfectly good theme music we've all gotten used to and I personally enjoyed, to a an arrangement trying to keep the basic melody, but messed with to the point of almost ruining it.....who knows. It is probably one of the weirdest waste of a series' budget in Network history.

That aside, the show was still as creative as prior episodes, but deciding to use a fictional story to justify the crew being spanked by the network's lawyers, was a slight letdown for me. It really depends on what driving force draws you to watch this show.

My infatuation with the series was the fact that real news stories were used, and the fictional part of the show was the fluff surrounding the character's love lives. In the season opener we are shocked to see "Maggie" (Allison Pill) with a trashed haircut and screaming red hair. The excuse was, that something terrible happened to her on a trip to Africa, and she cut it off and colored it in frustrated depression.

However, the way it plays out on screen, it sounded more like a bad plot excuse for Miss Pill's new haircut she botched in the off season.

Personally, I am tired of "Flashbacks" in movies and TV shows. The way it appears from the 1st episode, the entire new season may be a flashback to justify the first scene in the first episode.......we'll see.

One other negative plot idea in my opinion is that Jim (Senior Producer) is all of a sudden "so in love with Maggie", that he tells his boss "Mac" to either send him out of town on Romney's campaign bus, or fire him. I think that was a dumb plot excuse to have him disappear for two weeks so another Senior Producer that takes his place, could take the blame for whatever they're all being spanked for.

Other than those little tweaks, it's business as usual for the Newsroom Series, that still entertains despite its bewildering aspects.

The Girl (2012) (TV)
You must be a Fan of Hitchcock or Hedren to enjoy this....., 20 October 2012

I'm glad this story has finally been told and Mr. Hitchcock is exposed for what he truly was......a pathetic, obese, horny man that used his Hollywood Power inappropriately. The stories of his behavior have been rumored and whispered for years; and even in this media on her Bio page, Tippi Hedren does more than just hint at Hitchcock's indiscretions toward her during the filming of The Birds, and Marnie. She was a major consultant on this movie, so I assume that what you see here is pretty close to actual events; if not on the button.

It's very difficult to recommend this movie to others because I tend to think that anyone that isn't a Fan of Hitchcock movies, or Tippi Hedren, or at least The Birds, or her second film with him: Marnie, will fall asleep in the first 15 minutes. However, if you are a fan as I am of Hedren, you will enjoy it very much for the history lesson and pure curiosity. The Director here does a good job getting the viewer to feel the torture Hedren endured working with Hitchcock on these two movies. Also, it's set in the 60s, and those of us that would probably be fans of the films or the people involved, grew up in that era and would enjoy this film even more as a period piece. I would rate it as a 7, but can understand how those unfamiliar or uninterested in the subject matter before hand could rate it much lower. So in summary: Watch it if you are a Fan of Him, The Birds, Marnie, or Hedren......Otherwise avoid it.

The "Norbert" of Detective Movies, 4 October 2012

It was like a child with no experience except to have perhaps seen the other 999 movies with this exact plot directed this embarrassing deplorable waste of celluloid. To make things even worse, the other 999 were done better.

The Director: TERRIBLE (and should retire from directing immediately). The Script: A JOKE (I've found better scripts in Cracker Jack Boxes). The Editing: Pee Wee Herman could have done a better job. The acting: WAS TWEETED IN by all involved.

I actually shut off the TV 3/4 into this mess cursing at the movie makers. This is the "Norbert" of detective movies. If I had gone to the movies and paid to watch this ..'thing', I would have demanded my money back 1/2 way in to it.

AVOID THIS DISASTER!

TV doesn't get better than this..., 9 July 2012

I hope this first installment of Newsroom is just a preview of more to come; and not just one Perfect episode. TV doesn't get better than this. It's paced, intelligent and well acted by all involved; especially Daniels. It deals with the real world in an extremely entertaining fashion; and when it's over , you know you just watched something Great. This show will be the long awaited jump to the A-List for Jeff Daniels. He nails the role of a cantankerous self absorbed complacent Newscaster, not liked by his peers; like he was born to play it. I've always been a fan of Emily Mortimer's, and she is outstanding as usual. The rest of the supporting actors were cast perfectly for their roles, and it all comes together to make a Top Shelf Pilot for this new series.

Doesn't get better than this, 1 July 2012

Losing it's Foundation, 4 June 2012

I was a Giant Fan of this show the first season. It had all the elements that make a great series. Season two however, is a far cry from season one. This episode in particular has gone down the path to Grandma's house, and took a Dump. Since these episodes are being adapted from Novels of the same name, we really can't fault the Script Writers too much for this mess; however, the Directing has not done anything to improve the story that seems to have been stretched out way past it's Due Date. The magic elements in the first season were tastefully and carefully placed in the story when and where they were an asset. Now this TV Franchise has turned into a bad Halloween Movie. The Game is over.

Close but no Cigar, 21 April 2012

This will be my last view of this show this season; and not because I haven't heard one "Neat", "Keen" or "Cool". It's the Pace. It plays like a Day Time Soap, and relies too much on trying to entertain us with the period (1959 Miami), and not with script quality. They toned down the nudity this episode to one fake set of Boobs. Last week the episode could have been called "Boob Quest". I'm sure the crew and cast are having a ball with filming in Miami and getting to live in 1959 when it was "Cool" to chain smoke, and drive cars that looked like Space Ships; however, that appeal wears off fast for a viewer. This episode was a wee bit better than last week; but not worth an hour of my life. Two notable moments were seeing Hotel Guests dance the twist which was actually invented in 1959 by Hank Ballard; and a well acted suspenseful moment delivered by Danny Houston (Ben Diamond) during a card game. Perhaps a condensed fast paced accurate movie could have developed successfully with this idea. Who knows...the Producers may hire a talented writer or two and save this show. I guess you'll have to wait for next season to find that out, because all the shows for this season have already been filmed.

Decent Sart for the Series, 19 April 2012

The Season opener centers around a Miami Beach Hotel 1/2 owned by a Jewish Business man (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) his two sons, one who has eyes for anything in or out of a dress; including his stepmother (Olga Kurylenko) and Morgan's pre-teen daughter; just before New Year's eve 1958; through New Years morning 1959. I was hoping for a thicker plot, but the era is so appealing, I was satisfied with the visuals enough to hold me tight to the screen. The show seems to imply that Morgan's character is involved with the Jewish Mob. The name of the Mob Boss played by Danny Huston is Ben Diamond. Could be Jewish Mafia; his Character closely resembles Ben Siegel (Bugsy Siegel). Morgan is terrific as the Lead; and Kurylenko is so beautiful, she doesn't even have to open her mouth. Danny Huston as the Mob guy and 1/2 silent partner in the Hotel is so over cast, his characters seem to be crashing into each other. I think the Producer's could have found a more appealing, mysterious and perhaps even unknown actor rather than Danny Huston to play this mob boss role. If you like pretty ladies, you will not be disappointed. Don't take the period too seriously, because the Producers certainly haven't. The jargon, hair and dress is far from authentic. Perhaps that's why it's called "Magic City". It's an extremely surreal version of Miami in the late 50s. For a Season Opener it was decent, and I'm hoping the plot and scripts catch up to the visuals. It was a beautiful thing to watch in HD on a wide screen.

Boring, 13 April 2012

I'm writing this review as I'm watching it. So far it's been on 31 minutes, and am very surprised how boring this episode is. If you were looking for a stronger plot surfacing in this second installment, you will be very disappointed. It's a Boob-a-Thon. The only woman that hasn't dropped her top in this show is Grandma. Not the 1959 I remember. Forty minutes now and the big event was the unappealing Danny Houston's character: Ben Diamond, does the unthinkable to his dog because he was barking when he was on the phone. Even Jeffrey Dean Morgan's character takes a powder this week. If this is the future planned for this show, it won't be on long. Wait...I take it back...Sparticus is still on this Network; so anything is possible. Forty Five minutes now, and the only thing keeping me awake is the light from my Laptop. Hard to believe that the same Man (Mitch Glazer) responsible for the outstanding Screenplay "Great Expectations", is also responsible for this Drek. Magic City so far is all about the Cars and the naked sun baked Females, with some nice colorful photography thrown in. If that's your "bag", you'll love it.