howardmorley

Page 1 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

My one & only school outing, 22 February 2017

I was born in 1946 so was 7 year of age in 1953.I was in my second year at Pinner Road Infants school which helped to educate part of the post war baby boom in Northwood Hills and Pinner Middlesex.What a treat to be told we were all going to the building next to the school to see "The Conquest of Everest".This was shown at the REX cinema.Today it is a supermarket and the school demolished to make way for a block of flats.

If you asked me what do I remember about this film 64 years later, bearing in mind I have not seen it since on UK TV networks, I have to confess I do not remember a thing about it.Perhaps scenes of conquering the summit were shown on news, travelogues, documentaries and the like but being a person that does not like snow & ice it escaped me.Nevertheless I voted this film 7/10 mainly based on other reviewers posts and the historic accomplishment of dragging all that film equipment up Everest.

Marry Me (1949)
Forerunner of Internet Dating, 21 February 2017

I rated this 1949 film 6/10 as it was presumably rated a comedy and there were a few comic spots in it.The best was when Guy Middleton rushes down the stairs and trips up the lady to whom he is smitten and who has just emerged out of the lift of the marriage bureau.Yes marriage bureaux served the purpose of matching eligible ladies & gentlemen before the proliferation of internet dating sites and social media.Busy intelligent young people often join social clubs of like minded people so they can mix with their own kind.In Jane Austen's day dances & balls were one of the few events both sexes could meet & talk to each other socially without a chaperone.

Madame Kumar loyally supports the workers cooperative, 19 February 2017

Madame Kumar was the mysterious character immortalized by Alfred Hitchcock in "The Lady Vanishes" (1938) and was played by Josephine Wilson who plays here a loyal secretary, first to the old boss (Basil Radford) and then to the replacement workers cooperative boss, played by a young Kenneth More.It helps to know a bit of post war British economic history as we had to export or die as we as a country were severely in debt to our biggest creditor the U.S.A.Communism was taking hold in many east European countries and the U.K. government were watchful of any trend in 1950 in this direction often orchestrated by the old U.S.S.R.This time the Czar does return but in a subordinated role.

The action takes place in a tractor factory and there are the usual squabbles between management and workers over pay and conditions both before and after the change at the top when the former "revolutionaries" start to fall out with their colleagues.The only real laugh in the film is seeing Hattie Jacques wiggling her body to allow a coin to fall down out of her cleavage in a scene where the workers are personally contributing to a fighting fund.I feel sure the "Carry On" producers kept her in mind for the string of comedies to follow.There is no love interest in this film.Watchable 6/10.

What passed for comedy in 1949, 18 February 2017

Charters and Caldicott have been promoted by the film producer to head this comedy.Naunton Wayne and Basil Radford were popular playing these two bumbling characters in several films but I still think their performance in "The Lady Vanishes" 1938 was best and especially in the latter film I liked Basil Radford describing a particularly feliticous piece of play by Wally Hammond which he illustrates with sugar cubes representing the players on the field.I too was annoyed when Dame May Witty asked for the sugar cubes to be handed back to her table in the restaurant car.My summary title may seem a trifle arrogant but one has to remember we had just been through another world war and the nation needed to have something to laugh at in the cinema in the days before widespread TV ownership.Yes the comedy was primitive and producers still relied on old fashioned slapstick humour in the main to entertain the masses.Adequate 6/10

Katie Johnson of "The Ladykillers" Fame Standout Performance, 9 February 2017

"Death of an Angel" (1952) would have been a "B" feature supporting the main feature film when it was released in the early fifties.The first reviewer above exhaustively comments on the basic plot so I will confine mine to other matters.Of course no one who has seen "The Ladykillers" the Ealing (1951) comedy, can forget the old landlady played by the venerable Katie Johnson (1878-1957) who in this film plays a patient of Dr.Welling (Patrick Barr).The latter is known to me playing "Mutt" Summers who pilots the Halifax bomber in which Dr.Barnes Wallis (Sir Michael Redgrave) is testing out his new bouncing bomb idea as portrayed in "The Dam Busters" (1954).Raymond Young, Julie Somers & Jane Baxter are unknown to me in other notable roles who play Dr.Chris Boswell, Judy Welling and Mary Welling respectively.

the other notable actor was Russell Napier who plays the chief detective, a role Russell became used to playing in the 1950s.His most notable role for me was playing Captain Stanley Lord of "The Californian" in the 1958 film "A Night to Remember".All told a passable film which I had never seen and which I rated with 6/10.

Another assignment for Paul Banner, 6 February 2017

Paul Carpenter the Canadian actor who died early aged 42, appears here with another actor and ex-boxer who died early Freddy Mills, in another investigative role for his screen persona of Paul Banner, see also Behind the Headlines 1956.Whereas he is a reporter on The Daily Comet in One Jump Ahead, in the former film he is running his own news agency.Other reviewers have already explained the plot so I will confine myself to other matters.

Yes it was a mystery how Freddy Mills came to die with a shotgun by his side in a turning off Oxford Street in 1965 - a bigger mystery than this film!Was it suicide or a gangland killing?The cheeky schoolboy who appears at the beginning and barely escapes with his life, I remember seeing doing commercials on t.v. in the 1950s for Rowntrees Fruit Gums.As in Behind the Headlines with Hazel Court, Paul has a faithful and helpful British girlfriend who puts up with the rigours of his job.It was an adequate length of time approx 60 plus or so and would have constituted a B film back in the 1950s.It was an interesting enough film and I enjoyed seeing some old 1950s actors in British cast films again.I rated it 6/10.

Brilliant movie about the effect caused by divorcing parents on their daughter, 4 February 2017

This 71 year old can still remember those austere early 1950s days of Britain with its bomb damage and food rationing.I was a 4 year old when this film was made and it had a resonant effect on me.Whenever I see a film with Rosamund John ("The First of the Few", "The Way to the Stars" "Green for Danger" etc) I think of my dear late mother and the way she used to look.The acting credit must go to the girl who played Jennifer in the central role and to the producer who was responsible for an intelligent screenplay and for highlighting the psychological effect divorce has on the children of divorcing parents.The danger of accepting sweets from possible paedophiles was examined and the love of true friends in this case a young schoolboy who befriends Jennifer.I applaud this film which I had not previously seen and the lessons drawn which are still relevant today, and I awarded it 9/10.

Nora Nicholson specialist actress in dotty roles, 11 January 2017

I am 70 years of age and my family had our first t.v. (a "Murphy" 12" one channel BBC only) in 1954.I can still remember seeing Nora Nicholson playing her specialised role of a dotty old woman from those days in similar mystery plays.Esma Cannon another eccentric actress was an Australian who I first recognised playing a comic seamstress, "Lill" in the sit-com "The Rag Trade" in the early sixties.

The other reviewers have adequately commented on "Crow Hollow" (1952) and I see no reason to dispute their comments nor the official IMDb.com. rating which I would describe as adequate.The screen play writer & director very properly held back the solution of the mystery of who murdered the character maid "Willow" until the last reel; and why our dark brunette, newly married heroine's life had been previously threatened.Yes I too thought it reasonably well acted and I stayed the course to award it an rating of 6/10.

Night Beat (1947)
Maxwell Reed gives his eyebrows another workout, 9 January 2017

Another user comment on another Maxwell Reed film told of his eyebrows, gave me my summary title, which had me smiling.He certainly worked them vigorously in this film noir of an early post war racketeer, returning commando servicemen, (Ronald Howard/Hector Ross) and the longstanding girlfriend who has been faithful all during the war (the late tragic Anne Crawford).What made me smile was seeing Sid James playing a nightclub pianist called Nixon.It was films like this which established his acting credentials and which Tony Hancock envied in their early comic TV/radio collaborations.

Nasty Jackie (Christine Norden) who plays the nightclub singer, sticks Ronald Howard's commando knife into Maxwell Reed's chest and kills him out of pique because he didn't love her enough.How will Ronald establish his innocence, perhaps Anne can help?This is an above average 1947 British produced film noir which I awarded 7/10.

Excessively mawkish and melodramatic, 9 January 2017

The direction of this 1950 movie I found unrelieved by excessive mawkishness, gloom and melodrama.Like a piece of music all written in a minor key or a picture painted in dark forbidding colours with no light patches.The low budget film studio could not afford to pay famous star actor/director fees to bring in the punters so had to produce and cast the film on poverty row.I suspected as such when I did not recognise one star name in the opening credits.

The danger of executing someone wrongly convicted of murder when the sentence cannot be revoked after capital punishment is ever present in a society which uses this form of justice and which evolves over time.Up until 1965 we had capital punishment in our country and although MP's are given a free vote, since then, the restoration of capital punishment has been debated but never reintroduced.This is how Ian Brady & Myra Hindley (the moor murderers) escaped the gallows.The national feeling of this case was so intense, successive Home Secretaries maintained life sentences on these two criminals until they died of natural causes.

To illustrate how bad the direction was, in "The Sun Sets at Dawn" the set had the condemned and cast members all apparently walking through the Warden's private office, almost like a t.v. black comedy with the electrical process continually not working; when in reality such people would have been kept apart until a more appropriate moment.Adequate 5/10.

Page 1 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]