Dream_seeker

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

"Luther" (2010)
Looks like the BBC UK hit its mark right with 'Luther'!!, 21 November 2010

Let's face it, in a world where very seldom a few Afro-American actors get the limelight (or fan gratitude) as main characters and 9 times out of 10 either the character is a total prick or a complete stereotypical crippling of itself; it seems that BBC did something very unique when they made a 6 part TV series staring the very underestimated actor Idris Elba what you have is one very smart, sexy, and hard hitting detective story that only needs one name, 'Luther'.

Series Creator Neil Cross hit the mark right with this series by fleshing out each actor and showing the reality in the mist of corrupt, dark, and gritty UK that the series portrays and each actor plays their character to the best of their abilities; And while the first episode was pretty slow to start it did give you a peek in the life of the World-weary anti-hero DCI John Luther (Idris Elba); John Luther as a Detective Inspector is one of the best in his career when it comes to solving crimes and sometimes he tends to brake the rules along the way which in turn gets him in some (if most times big) trouble. But John Luther in personal life is a bad husband to his (ex) wife Zoe Luther (Indria Varma)who's somewhat conflicted between her questionable love towards him and the new love in her life, Torn in love/hate emotional conflict with a suspected, beautiful, and pretty crazy killer Alice Morgan (Ruth Wilson) who seems to have a thing for the hardened cop, A difference in opinion with his supervisor DSU Rose Teller (Saskia Reeves)who despite of that has complete trust in him, and his partners DCI Ian Reed (Steven Mackintosh) and DS Justin Ripley (Warren Brown) who seems to question him depending on the nature of the crime each episode puts out; all of this along with some of the most interesting and depraved killers this show conjures its no wonder Luther's life is never easy...nor fun and that's great in our book.

Now, Some people feel that Idris Elba is trying to hard for this character and the answer to that is...what do you know? Its very rare to see any Black actor put much world-weary feel..and the feel that the character's life is nothing short of pleasant despite of the job he does and the life he leads I feel that people ignore that and focus on who's white and cute and who's not. I say it again Idris Elba is a very underestimated actor and with pretty decent movies under his belt its about time that someone gives this talented actor a chance to shine even if its not to everyone expectations; Luther's relationship with Morgan is a very hot if volatile one both of them tend to put that, "your the bad girl but yet i'm attracted to you in a weird way" aspect even though there are moments where Alice Morgan does something that will defy their questionable friendship but its good to see that thru Ruth Wilson who portrays that side with such intensity that seems almost plausible with every scene.

Sometimes I feel there's a strange uncomfortably between Varma's and Elba's character sometimes especially in one somewhat romantic moment between them in later episodes; But either way she does stand out on her own two feet and she makes Zoe's persona a very interesting one...something for Luther to think about what he missed because of a constant focused life as a cop. Reeves, Mackintosh, and Brown's characters as partners and supervisor are very strong and it works for all of them...it shows the differences and yet it also envelopes a bond as offices doing the same job even though when it comes to Luther one has to question his motives for the things he do. All in all, this is one show that I would like to say can become a hit if they stick to what they are doing now; But for a 6-part series I think they want to keep the premise just the way it is without mocking up the very thing that can make it a continuing success (Ahem Season 5 Doctor who much? LOL).

'Luther' will go down as being one of the fast paced, smart, dark, and intense crime story that I've seen from the UK; and while it doesn't hold originality to the context in some areas it does keep a person fixed on what will happen next and it becomes immediately a guilty pleasure show one I hope with more interesting stories will continue to second season....if possible.

"V" (2009)
Look on the bright side...its a pretty decent and good vision., 5 November 2009

In 1983, a two part television Mini-series hit the airwaves this mini-series which was in the vision of Kenneth Johnson sparked one of the most influential Cult classics in TV which goes by just one syllable, "V" (Which back then stood for "Victory") for a while V and V: The final battle were the best sci-fi that television had to offer (Next to the Battlestar Galactica's and Buck rogers's of the day) then came the God awful very syndicated and very repetitive TV series that hit the NBC airwaves called, "V: The Series" which came out in 1984 which only sparked at least 10 episodes leaving a sucky cliffhanger that got the series canceled...but even though The television series wasn't part of Kenneth's idea the books including V: The second generation which was suppose to be the breakout book to revitalize the Movie Mini-series Sci-Fi opera didn't help the cause...but it seems Warner brothers had a different plan in mind.

"V" (2009) is a re-imagine or perhaps a story from New York's point of view of the vistor's arrival (All of this depends on the viewer who watches it); we are automatically thrust into the world of how the idea of peace can be meant in many different ways one of which can be called dictatorship but from the Character Anna's (Firefly's Morrena Baccarin) Perspective its pretty much a change for the better which as we all know Peace sometimes come with a pretty hefty price. Anna comes off as a nurturing mother, I basically see her as a woman drawn between good and evil; in her mindset she feels that by humans following her example their will be a faster peace in no time but there are some that don't think her ideas are lack of a better word, "Kosher". The minister, Jack Landry (Joel Gretsch) who feels that the Vistors appearance isn't by the act of God but yet is on the bordering questioning the idea when the truth comes to him in a very startling way (which Joel did a pretty decent performance on). The FBI Agent, Erica Evans (Lost's Elizabeth Mitchell) a very hot tough chick, who feels that the activities of the visitor's coming are sparking terrorist acts in the city but finds out the real truth behind it...Sleeper cell Vistor's who have been there for a long time setting up the world and economy to fail so that the Vistor's can make their final move for a much bigger and darker plan, finding that out and juggling with a very confused son, Tyler (Logan Huffman)who thinks the visitors are here for that peace but really wants to get into the pants of the VERY attractive Lisa (Laura Vandervoort). The Reporter, Chad Decker, (Scott Wolf)who one-time defended the visitor send him on a spiral upwards, or downwards depending on his next action and in the end having him question himself of whether or not he's doing this for the news, publicity, or is he selling himself against humanity.

Ryan Nichols (Morris Chestnut), a person I feel will be the most pivotal character in the series. Is a man with a happy life, good job, beautiful fiancé, and a secret that he wants to keep very much Concealed but has no choice but to reveal when the very threat that comes to earth is the same threat that will effect his life that he created. Even though the story feels rush i think the big misconception is the fact that everyone wanted a two part four-hour Mini series but what we are getting is a four part "Pod" episodes (which is a smart bold move or a stupid series ending move depending on how you view it) either way the story is being told in a different way from a very different perspective and even though the pilot episode itself pushed the action forward into revealing the threat the story holds the same feel as the original but from the New York's perspective and not that of Los Angeles. The writing is still on point thanks to 4400's Scott Peter and "V" creator Kenneth Johnson and the special effects are very much pretty.

Even the producers said, "If the series goes as well as we planned we will get to see the veteran "V" cast show up as the season's progress" even the original series own Queen B. "Diana" (Jane Badler) rumored to call the producers of this new series to want to be part of it so you know anything is possible if it gets good down the line which leads to this there are NO comparisons between Anna and Diana (Its like comparing apples and grapes) for as far as we see it Anna takes the more dangerously sincere but, "Don't get on my bad side" attitude while Diana is a no holds barred aggressive warrior. Who thinks fear is the best motivator against pretending peace all in the name of gaining ranks. All in all, I thought this was a pretty good show, despite its very fast plot and its get to the point climax i think this show has promise and I hope that this surpass something that, "Flash forward" isn't really doing at this point. So with that, lets hope for the best with, "V" because as much as i enjoyed the original V and the final battle as a kid and even now, I looked into this new remake series with an open mind and not that of a comparative mind and I was surprised at how much I liked it. Wished others can do the same.

Get Smart (2008)
Hit its mark....Perfectly!, 21 October 2008

I have to admit...there are certain remakes that i can't say i don't approve but it seems most of them this year are pretty good and, "Get smart" is of no exception. Director Peter Segal made this movie with one intention.....to make you laugh hysterically. Steve Carell is definitely Maxwell smart and if Don Adams was alive today i'm sure he would be VERY pleased that someone is taking care of his mantle pretty well. Anne Hathaway is a very Sexy agent 99 and she did her part....seductively! The story is pretty much straight laced and you will follow along very fast but you will be mostly laughing more than getting into the story...Masi Oka (Hiro from, "Heroes") as Bruce and Nate Torrance as Lloyd did their part pretty good as the comic relief but then again; the movie is one big comic relief from the summertime blues.

All in all, you have to really like this movie. The jokes are fast paced and very witty; I doubt it would stand against the other big name movies but in the comedy department this stands already on its own two feet. And I would recommend it.

For a Mixed bagged movie I have respect for the Indiana Jones saga, 13 October 2008

Everyone has their share of good and bad remarks about this movie. But i have to honestly say reading the novels and actually seeing, "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" Then watching the the three movies including this one i can say the Indy franchise is very story driven. What most people don't understand about this story line is that its set in years of his life and being that this movie was set in 1957, he was in his mid fifties if not older; And for those that haven't read the books chronicling his adventures i'm sure you would see that aliens are far more less than most of the stuff he's faced.

But anyways, The storyline might be okay at most being that its not fully connected to the Real crystal skulls but moves the idea to a different matter; but the action is still there; instead of fighting Nazi's he's facing Russians its a change of pace but the premise is still functional; its good to see old faces from the original adventures(I.E. Marion Ravenwood) better her than that loud ass and VERY annoying Willie Scott (I.E. Temple of doom). A lot of people complain that being that Harrison ford is a bit old to play this role again is a contradiction to the years that it was set; You have to understand this is going by a chronological aspect of his life until he reaches his older yet one eyed self (watch young Indy chronicles). I do agree some parts of the movie was a bit useless and some outlines were already established but yet they repeat themselves over like they are trying to jam it into people's minds. What I Don't agree is the fact there wasn't really much use for CGI in most places only in some parts so one can't complain about too much CGI in this film; unlike SOME movies that Whore on the CGI (*Ahem* Mummy: TOTDE).

But all in all this is a fun movie that didn't really try hard to make the adventure stick; But did its job to make the movie a fun ride it wasn't so deeply horror stoked like temple of doom, but it was just as breezy as Raiders and character oriented as the novels that portray the hero with the infamous bull-whip and hat. I think this movie was interestingly fun without trying too hard but then again not hard enough . one would say the mummy 3 was better than this movie and now that i've seen this film a couple of times and read the books and see the young Indy chronicles i can now say this movie was better than the mummy and i have more respect for the Indy time line and character(s)involved.

6/10 (An okay movie but there were some consistencies with this film)

Love him or Hate him...Micheal Moore puts it out there to the people at large!, 23 August 2008

As Paul Mooney says so Vehemently everyone will have their N***a wake up call; Micheal Moore just puts that saying into perspective for the Nation at large in most of his movies this movie is one of them.

"Bowling for Columbine" is a hit hard, take charge movie that focuses on the events of Columbine high school tragedy but it also focus on how guns in America and the moro...I mean people that used them should take responsibility for the actions and the repercussions of there decisions; Micheal Moore whether you love him or hate him he doesn't put his point of view entirely into this movie he does his homework, puts in the research and does what he has to do to put the reality out there now whether or not people will accept it or not is there business but at the end of the day you have to respect him for putting the truth where it hurts.......The administration, and the gun lobbyist.

Micheal, has his own set of dark humor which keeps anyone interested at the same time and relate to matters at hand. Whether your black, white, or anywhere in between you will relate to this at one point or another cause everyone as a story either tragic or just plain simple! The story is in the heartfelt tragedy and the moral of how human nature tends to make mistakes and keeps on mistaking them...and whether you want to believe the truth or not its still there and it will effect you at one point and that's what Micheal Moore pretty much states.

This is a very good Documentary for anyone who loves Micheal Moore's work and never seen one or two of this films should see this.

9/10- Strong balance in the story that keeps a person well educated as well as insights that makes a person think no matter what race or sex. Micheal Moore puts no holds barred to getting the truth out even thru dark humor. A very good movie. and a reason why I LOVE documentaries.

A powerful Documentary that put a man like me to tears, 23 August 2008

Around August in 1945 was a day that changed not just two towns in japan but the world as well; what caused after that set up a lot of tragedy as well as a lot of fears for the future one that even Einstein and Oppenheimer feared the worst.

"White light/Black rain" is another Strong, thought provoked, Gritty journey into the nature of man. As a African-American man that actually had a chance to visit the Nagasaki Peace Memorial park it did bring a lot to me to actually walk the park itself and try to hold in some emotion and not cry in the process. But seeing the Documentary I had to let it out and this is a man saying that i cried for their generations beforehand that went thru the experience and the lives and families they have lost...the images throughout the film will have anyone that watch this give some emotion one way or another; the part that got to me was one of the survivors that watched her sister jump in front of the train due to radiation poisoning and her reaction when she tried to argue with an American solider who couldn't understand her but just smiled...it made a person like me angry at that though.

Around 140,000 people and an additional 70,000 died in the wake of this as well as the aftermath that would make the events of 9/11 feel like a cakewalk in comparison; its a strong realization of how human nature reaches a boiling point and set off a chain that will change the future...if anything this film is very thought provoked and will have anyone that view it either weep, or think and i recommend this film to anyone that wants to see a dark side of history that this generation is seeming to forget slowly but surely.

10/10- For a lot of powerful and scary images that will hit your senses in one way or another and the survivors and there stories from different points of view but all fall into the same fate, its a story that needs to be told but its also a story that every human needs to learn from.

Is this is how Wesley is dealing with his taxes by making this film....hahahahahahah crappy movie!!!, 12 August 2008

'Art of war' with Wesley Snipes back around 2000 was a pretty damn good movie; even though it was lack of plot but a lot of cool action sequences and a very attractive Marie Mateko it made the original film a interesting popcorn flick; Now eight years, and a couple of night flights away from the IRS later...Wesley continues his character of Neil shaw in a very damaging sequel of a pretty damn cool movie...this is what happens when you use very bad camera actions, lack of acting, character, and surprising enough not continuing the relationship between Neil and Ms. Fang's character from the first movie..oh did i mention this is filmed in Canada and not in Los Angeles (where the direction of the movie was suppose to be taken place but not due to Wesley's escaping the law...haha that's funny every time i hear it) the result is a very poorly done movie that only is showing Wesly's swagger and not much of the action the first movie contrived.

I'm not going to spoil this movie cause it wouldn't be fun....i want you to see this movie for yourself cause i had to laugh at this film for the due fact that this movie could of been A WHOLE LOT better if a better director, cameraman, and oh i don't know BETTER SCREENPLAY. But this is what happens when you evade the law and try to think you are going to get away with it a crappy movie like this. But don't take my word for it see it yourself!

"Weeds" (2005)
Still a good show....but its not great since Conrad and Heilya aren't there for the ride!, 12 August 2008

I have enjoyed weeds since the pilot episode...its a very strongly and strangely written story about the misadventures of Nancy Botwin an estranged widow who had to make a living by selling of course, weed to keep her kids Shane and Silas (Andy doesn't count..LOL) in school as well as keeping herself off the radar from not getting arrested or worse. with such a correspondent of colorful characters and with each episode a fun and great look into their lives this series for its three seasons set the bar and then some.

Then season four came and wanted to do something different; Nancy is now in a new place and still trying to struggle to getting her life back on track but of course that's not an easy task when it comes to Ms. Botwin; all the cast of characters are back except for Conrad and Heilya which i felt also had a strong presents to the series as well and this season would have been great still if those two were also there to continue the escapades but for some reason they aren't and that is one of the reasons why i felt this season wasn't really the best one for me. But regardless this show in general is the best watched show on show time and i can't help but to continue to be hooked on to this show. Just wish they brought back those two cause i felt they were there for THREE SEASONS and suddenly no more Conrad and no more Heilya; but i guess surprises usually comes when things are unexpected.

Watch and learn....this is how dictators and tyrants do business!, 5 August 2008

I actually gotten the chance to watch the first episode of, "I want to work for diddy" but before the show even started they had a little background on what's it is like at 'Bad boy entertainment' a near multi-million dollar organization that is pretty much has their hands in damn near everything and is CEO is no other than Sean "Diddy" Coombs. Who from its background is a megalomaniac, a hustler, a tyrant, and maybe if possible a sociopath in training which for some all of this can equal good television at its worst.

The purpose is 12 Contestants will try to fight, claw, bleed, and as one of the contestants mentioned, "Kill" for a chance to be Diddy's personal assistant of whom of which after watching the background of how Diddy works...I will feel pretty damn sorry for whoever is his personal assistant. I've been in the military...i've seen and been in worse training than this that no person should ever have to be placed into but look....watch out! Diddy is trying having people trying to do tasks with no sleep for 24 hrs...cause if Diddy can't sleep neither will you! This man yells, insults, and drives the contestants (and even his REAL workers) to insanity and beyond just for a chance to be a "personal assistant" and according to the people that DO work for him...they have to give up everything cause its not allowed in his world; Imaging you are signing the contract to be a PR rep for diddy but there's a catch, you have to sell your soul, give up your family your relationships, your LIFE in general just to please him...this is how dictators and tyrants rules countries and this is how men and woman become work slaves.

Now don't get me wrong....for something like this i'm sure its good entertainment and good T.V. But if this is his art imitating life I can't see why these contestants want to put themselves thru it...but yet i'm not in that situation and its pretty funny to see THEM do it and NOT me. The concept is pretty cookie cut straight thru; and in the episodes too come i'm sure things will get from bad to worse as Diddy will try to test his players in more deeper and treacherous training and also the lavish and rich life with a price; Diddy is a man trying to get his hands into everything....and trying to Play God in every means necessary as much as i think this show is trying to be like, "The apprentice" but even Donald trump knows when his contestants had enough and gives them a bit of rest once in a while...Diddy doesn't and for a show like this i will give respect to those players trying to work for him...they have the nerve cause watching this show makes me realize how much i see people downgrade themselves for a person who can't have his way will whine about it...then fire you on the spot!

If this is television at its best....I would like to see television at its worst..

4/10 - A show should be fun at the same time the players should be serious, and determine in what they want...but they all need to have a boss that likes to have fun to....its sad to see a man act like a 'diva' and contestants saying they will kill to work for a man that treats his workers like slaves instead of equals...haven't we got out of that century already!? As much as i want to see where the season goes...i can't sit and watch Diddy acts like a tyrant and i'm not even a big fan of him!

I'm really sorry guys I tried to let my mind go with this move but......here my review!, 3 August 2008

After seeing Iron-man my first thought was that this is going to be the start to great summer movies...then i saw Indiana Jones and even though i was anticipated to see it, i was shot down by very poorly scripted story, and bad directions that could of made that movie an instant classic...but then, "The Dark knight" re leaved my doubts and yet much like anyone who loved the first and second, "Mummy" movies saw the trailer for, "The mummy 3 and thought...this movie is going to be the S**t. Well i got a chance to see Mummy 3 and I'm sorry i went into that theater with a mindless wonder and even still....this movie failed to capture me like the others...but for those that read my reviews i will give you the benefits of this movie before i set off with the negative so are you ready here we go:

The mummy 3 started off pretty strong (but i have to be honest it felt like the director was trying to recreate the original but in a Asian stand point) continues the saga of the O'Connell's as they face a mid-life crisis...basically the courageous Rick O'Connell (Brandon Frasier) is now a failed fisherman trying to deal not being in his "action junkie" fix and Evie O'Connell (Maria Bello....NOT Rachel Wietz!)has a writers block after writing the mummy and mummy returns (Yes it seems as the first two adventures were nothing more than stories from the mind of Evie...how DUMB is that!?) but yet as she put it, "it was a completely different person"...haha in a sarcastic way! So in a nutshell the son Alex O'Connell (Luke Ford....NOT Freddie Boath!) is out in china on a dig which due to some cohesion by the curator uncovers the tomb of the dragon emperor...oooooooh! and from there this much becomes a rush amalgamated mess of different cliché's from different movies like, "Big trouble in little china", "Crouching tiger", and the original "Mummy" movie only except replace Ardet bey (Oded fehr) the guardian of the tomb of Imotep with Lin (Isabella Leong) the guardian of the tomb of the dragon king....duh duh duuuuuh!

What ensues after this is got to be on record as the most rushed display of story, character development, and a typical display of romance than I have ever seen in a movie and I've seen A LOT of movies. I'm sorry i was trying to put positive to a pretty bad story...well, the soundtrack was good...and the action was very ummm abundant?? But that's what I mostly saw; it didn't pack that close-quarter danger and intensity as Imotep and the original mummy series, i mean after looking at this movie i thought, "The scorpion king" was a great movie and i don't like the scorpion king that much! When you have a director like Rob Cohen (Fast and furious, XxX, Electra and other pretty cheesy movies) who for some reason thought CHINA out of oh I don't know....Africa, SOUTH America....Hell EASTER ISLAND was the best place to make a mummy movie, Writers from, "Smallville" who ruined the plot, never really gave any depth to the characters and pushed a seamlessly typically rushed (sorry, i mean forced) East meets west romance, Replace a good actress like Rachel Weitz (The reason she turned it down was because she was a mother first and she didn't want to travel to china knowing that she has to take care of her kids...just to let you know!)with a person, Maria Bello who was trying her Damn-est with a bad English accent and attempt...replace a kid for someone who could of been written into the story as Rick's younger brother instead of son, have CGI of Terra cotta soldiers that look like marionette with Big weird looking baby faces and have a climatic fight seen that can be best described by one reviewer as, "Crouching tiger on the Nile" and pretty much like a cheesy video game and the end result is a action filled mess that failed to capture my senses like the original.

The movie lasted for nearly an hour and a half, and already i felt bad for Brandon cause it really looked like he was trying his hardest to make it work; Jonathan (John Hannah) was making his wise cracks and it did hit its mark but only just a tad. Jet Li was pretty cool but i felt that his powers wasn't used to the fullest....you see unlike its predecessors where Imotep used the sand and water to its full potential, Jet Li didn't. And the fact he only had very short screen-time didn't help the status of the movie either. I felt this movie should of been straight to DVD and it probably would of still made strong sales and hold more clout but it didn't and this movie became a hype that is failing badly. But that's my opinion as a reviewer...you have to see this movie for yourself and give your point of view but i tried to let my mind go for this film i REALLY wanted to like it...but i'm sorry with a typical east meets west storyline it feel flat fast.

3/10 for very strong beginning but fell short FAST. A forced set of character development and a very pushy romantic set up; movie started and ended way too quickly and didn't have the strength and eeriness as the original mummy....and having a son that's old enough to be your brother didn't help much. And i've mentioned this in my other review...i'm getting really tired of the typical white guy saves and fall in love with Asian female set up...its getting really tired, REALLY fast. Thanks Rob for screwing up another good franchise now go back and make Fast and the furious 4: The final frontier.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]