Tom147

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The Boy (2016/II)
The Boy, 10 April 2016

First of all I am not really a fan of horrors and only watch them occasionally if I'm watching a film with a few friends. So of course I haven't seen many horror films in my time but I really enjoyed this one.

The plot at the start is very simple, an American nanny goes to England to babysit. When she gets there she realises that she is in fact going to be taking care of a doll instead of a human. The parents go off and leave a set of rules for her to follow but she of course thinks this is silly, after all it's just a doll...or so it would seem.

Although the film does rely on a few jump scares, I found the atmosphere the film creates was terrific, and basic things happening seemed to ramp up the tension. At first I was suspicious of a few of the secondary characters involved in the film but as we got towards the end of the film, the reveal of who/what The Boy really is was a shocking twist which in my opinion worked very well.

The Walking Dead's Lauren Cohan gives a good performance in the lead role (the first film I've ever seen her in) and The Boy is just creepy and put me on edge.

Overall I found it to be a good film with a good horror atmosphere which doesn't rely on the usual slash and gore. I would class it as more of a thriller. Better than expected and would recommend.

Daddy's Home, 9 March 2016

'Daddy's Home' is a comedy film starring Mark Wahlberg & Will Ferrell going head to head as Dad and Step Dad. The plot for the film is very basic and as we got the end it becomes very predictable, but for 90 minutes it certainly provided enough laughs to make the film worthwhile.

Brad (Ferrell) is the step dad to two kids and is doing everything expected of a good father. All he wants is for them to call him dad. Things are going well until their real father shows up again. Dusty (Wahlberg) comes across as a cool guy but he is not a very good father.

The two of them compete for the attention of the children in many different ways and of course chaos ensues.

The two main scenes which you could tell were meant to be the most hilarious parts of the film were very over the top and for me personally didn't work that well (Motorcycle indoors & skate park shock). Despite that the film did have a lot of very funny scenes: Brad's conversations with his boss, the scenes at the clinic, the basketball game & the dance off.

Some of the content in this film may be a bit unsuitable for younger children but apart from that I think there's a bit of humour in there for all of us. It's a good laugh for when you just want to relax and not take a film too seriously.

7/10 - Funnier than expected.

Room (2015/I)
Room, 22 February 2016

Room is a simple story that will hit you hard. Brie Larson plays a young woman (Ma) who was abducted and has been held captive in 'Room' for 7 years, where she has subsequently given birth to her son Jack. Jack has never been out of Room and knows nothing else.

We see how they cope in day to day life in Room, as the captor brings them basic rations every day. Throughout the film it is left to our imagination as to where exactly they are and what is the reason why. Jack believes that the outside world is non existent and anything he sees on TV is not real. Jack is key to their escape so Ma has to explain the situation very carefully to him in order for him to grasp that the outside world is indeed real.

The pacing of the film is very good, we pretty much have two halves: the first half starts straight away with the pair in Room, we see them go through many different emotions in their fight for survival. Then they plan the escape (which if you have seen any trailer for the film you will know that they eventually escape anyway so it's not a spoiler). The second half of the film is about both of them adjusting to the outside world. Ma going back to family life and facing struggles as her father can't even look at Jack. Thankfully her mum and mum's boyfriend are much more supportive and really help Jack along the way.

The acting is terrific throughout the film which gave it a lot of realism. I do wish that the film had perhaps been a bit more detailed, we could've had another 20-30 minutes which could've explained briefly how the captor took Ma, what exactly happened to him at the end and how he was caught, a few bits of news/interviews detailing the fact that she was missing, search parties for her, was anyone ever suspicious of him etc. And also a bit more of Ma and Jack as he was younger just to get a sense of even more struggle they went through and then perhaps a little segment at the end of him growing up in the world.

All in all though it is certainly my favourite film of the Oscar nominees for best picture this year.

9/10 and highly recommended to all.

Batman Forever, 11 February 2016

I watched it yesterday for the first time since I was a kid back when it was released.

Clearly it's not going to be remembered as a great Batman/Comic book film but it is a lot of fun and I think it takes a bit of unnecessary flack.

The plot to the film is simple: Two Face & Riddler vs Batman & Robin. Val Kilmer was good as Batman. Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carrey gave good over the top, cartoon like performances as the villains, which in my opinion suited the film as it's clear it wasn't taking itself too seriously. Robin was a bit of a weak link to start with but towards the end he became much more involved. I also really enjoyed Nicole Kidman's character.

The costumes/make up and vehicles were excellent and the action scenes were done pretty well too. Yes it's a pretty silly film but if you don't take it too seriously there's a bit of fun to be had.

6/10.

The Rack Pack, 18 January 2016

Having just watched Ronnie O'Sullivan beat Barry Hawkins 10-1 to win his 6th Masters title, I tuned in to The Rack Pack on BBC iPlayer for a great throwback to the 70s & 80s of Snooker. I myself have been a massive snooker fan for the past 10 years, I know a lot about players from the past from reading various books about them and of course seeing a lot of them still involved in snooker today, playing and commentating/analysing.

Unfortunately I wasn't around when these players were at their peak so this film provided me with some great insight. The main actors playing Steve Davis & Alex Higgins were terrific. It was also great to see plenty of other players portrayed in the film such as Jimmy White, Dennis Taylor, Cliff Thorburn, Willie Thorne & even a mention of Stephen Hendry towards the end of the film.

The whole atmosphere of the film was excellent and seemed very realistic. The Crucible looked as good as ever, the commentary was authentic and the crowds looked real. Although many snooker fans will know the outcome of the film and each match that is shown, that doesn't make it any less dramatic. It's just great to see how these characters dealt with the fame that snooker bought them. The film had a lot of heart and the story was told with a lot of realism as well as a lot of good humour. The film also boasts a brilliant soundtrack which sets the scene perfectly.

Overall I am very impressed with this film on iPlayer and I hope to see more of this kind, whether it's about snooker stars or a different sport altogether. Highly recommended to snooker fans especially but I also think people who like good drama programs can enjoy it too.

Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse, 16 December 2015

If you are a fan of comedy horrors then I'm pretty sure you will like this film, although it is very entertaining it is certainly nothing we haven't seen before.

The film follows three scouts (Ben,Carter & Augie). Ben & Carter are embarrassed to still be scouts but still do it for their friend Augie. Ben & Carter have had enough one night and decide to leave Augie alone in the woods as they head out to a party, unaware that an apocalypse has just broken out which is why their camp leader has not arrived.

The 3 lead characters are all likable in their own way and I really wanted their friendship to work. The film has some funny moments in the first half hour or so but it's once the apocalypse starts when the fun really gets going. Ben & Carter have teamed up with Denise (a really cool character, takes no prisoners and eye candy) but they are stuck in a prison cell surrounded by zombies until Augie comes to rescue them and the adventure really begins at this point. There is tons of zombies and the way in which some are killed is hilarious. In particular I found the trampoline scene to be one of the best. Carter was the character who made me laugh the most, with a memorable zombie boob scene and also a great one liner when they run over the deer "hood f*#*~d Bambi".

The film also has a good soundtrack which makes certain moments even more hilarious. The cleaner guy at the beginning deserves a special mention for setting the mood with a barrel of laughs straight away.

Overall a very fun film which I would highly recommend. This one came out of the blue for me and as it stands right now it has a good chance to make my top ten for the year. If you enjoyed this film then I also recommend Shaun of the Dead (2004) & Cockneys vs Zombies (2012).

Get Santa (2014)
Good Christmas film, 7 December 2015

Get Santa is a good Christmas film where a father & son bond while trying to save Santa Claus from prison or Christmas will be ruined. Although its all to do with Christmas, the father & son rebuilding their relationship takes centre stage. The story is good and perfect for a nice easy going film leading up to the big day.

There are plenty of familiar actors from British TV Shows/films in this film such as Matt King (Peep Show), Jodie Whittaker (Broachurch), Nonso Anozie (Cass), Stephen Graham (This is England), Warwick Davis & Rafe Spall. Santa Claus was played by Jim Broadbent.

The story progresses at a nice pace and there is quite a few decent laughs along the way. It's certainly not a film I would watch every year but for a first time viewing it was plenty good enough. The humour of course has a very British feel to it and the locations used were also good. The soundtrack over certain parts of the film made it even funnier. Although parts of it are a little cliché, the ending is very heartwarming.

Overall a good Christmas film. 7/10.

If you happen to have a strange phobia of flatulent reindeer's then please avoid the film at all costs ;)

Unique comedy, 7 December 2015

To me, Absolutely Anything is a very unique comedy. This didn't seem like a film I would normally like, I figured aliens in a comedy would be pretty stupid. The 6.0 rating was also kind of off putting but I decided to give it a go as I generally like Simon Pegg films.

Simon Pegg plays schoolteacher Neil who lives home alone with his dog Dennis (voiced superbly by Robin Williams). Neil is chosen by a group of aliens as part of an experiment and is given the power to do absolutely anything. Chaos ensues as Neil begins to use his power.

There are a lot of very funny moments in the film such as walking turds, the dead rising and Neil changing his body while looking in the mirror. However most of the laughs come a little later on in the film when he gives his dog the power to speak. Robin Williams had me in stitches at various points with the way he described certain characters and kept talking about biscuits and sh*#*#* Kate Beckinsale plays Neil's neighbour with a lot of charm but thankfully the film doesn't focus too much on making the two of them a major love story. I came solely for laughs and that's what I got.

Overall it's a very funny & enjoyable film with a unique story. I feel it could have been explored further as there was plenty more that could've been done with the power. Could've easily been 30 minutes longer and I'd still find it funny, perhaps even a mini series could work but for now the film is very good as it is. Highly recommended for those in need of a laugh, as long as you don't take it too seriously and look for negative points. Just simply enjoy it for what it is.

8/10.

No Escape (2015/I)
Greatly exceeded my expectations, 3 November 2015

No Escape is a film that greatly exceeded my expectations. The trailer a few months ago looked OK but I hadn't really heard anyone talking about this film. Having now seen it, I strongly urge more people to give it a chance as well.

The storyline is excellent and we jump straight into the action. The action is very fast paced with proper sound effects to keep you on the edge of your seat. It's a very gripping film and I really connected with the characters and hoped they got out of their brutal predicament. I've seen similar actions films to this but the storyline really gave it a unique feel (to me anyway).

Lake Bell & Owen Wilson shared good chemistry and both of their on screen daughters gave good believable performances. Overall a very enjoyable disaster type film and similar to San Andreas earlier in the year, I feel this one is underrated too.

A fun watch which had me gripped from start to finish. Highly entertaining. 8/10.

Misery (1990)
Edge of the seat thriller, 26 August 2015

Misery (1990) is an edge of the seat thriller that still holds up very well after 25 years.

The film is very basic, Paul(James Caan)is a writer who suffers a car crash in a snow blizzard and is rescued Annie (Kathy Bates) who is a crazy fan. At first she seems like she is taking care of him but things go from bad to worse as she keeps him against his will.

The film mainly consists of the two characters in one house (one room mainly) and the tension is nerve shredding. The atmosphere changes in an instance, time and time again. Annie is crazy and does some sick things in order to get what she wants, for Paul to rewrite his novel and finish it the way she wants.

When Paul realises how crazy Annie is, the struggle he goes through is gut wrenching. In particular the scene where he finally reaches the telephone only to find out that it will not work because Annie had already planned ahead and disconnected it.

The film was done very well, the main element of the story got going almost instantly and after everything was done, the film pretty much ended. The whole film is basically in one location and I just loved the atmosphere it created. A really good edge of your seat thriller.

One of my favourite Rob Reiner films along with When Harry Met Sally, Flipped & Stand By Me.

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]