truk91

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Great performance from Marion Cotillard, 21 February 2015

Two Days, One Night - A very simple film, Sandra (Marion Cotillard) is losing her job as her colleagues have opted to take a bonus instead. The film follows Sandra over one weekend as she goes to see her colleagues to try and convince them otherwise. If you can't handle slow paced films then don't even bother trying to watch this film.

It is repetitive, she says pretty much the same thing to every person and then they give their reasoning why the opted for a bonus, some of them agree to change their vote in favour of Sandra. If the person is not in then someone else directs her to where they are and then she has the same conversation again. Marion Cotillard made it feel so real and you could see the pain and suffering in her face.

We don't really get to know any of the other characters as none of them really have no more than 10 minutes of screen time. I was expecting the film to take the cliché route where the main character would easily convince all the others and it would be all smiles at the end, this wasn't the case which made it feel all the more real.

Overall it's quite a unique film but ultimately not one I will remember very fondly apart from Marion's fantastic performance. I just felt there could have been a bit more to it, we never get to know any of the characters, we don't see the working environment, we don't see the original vote happen. We just don't get the full picture, too much of one repetitive thing and nothing else to go with it.

6/10 from me - Great performance from Marion but the film overall is just OK.

Does exactly what it set out to do, 21 February 2015

Need for Speed does exactly what it set out to do. I didn't take it too seriously and I ended up having a lot of fun. There's plenty of beautiful cars and fast paced racing, with excellent sound effects. I would say I enjoyed it as much as my favourite Fast & Furious film to date, which is Fast 5.

I'm not really sure why anyone with no interest in racing would watch it but it actually had a decent storyline to boot. It wasn't just non stop pure racing, we had a proper story to follow which allowed me anyway, to connect with the characters. There was motive behind it all.

I was pretty impressed with Aaron Paul in the lead role although I kept thinking of Jesse from Breaking Bad, as if he was on the run. Imogen Poots was a charming character as well. The film on the whole was pretty cheesy but if you don't take it too seriously its very entertaining and I wouldn't bet against there being a sequel. Overall as good as I could have hoped for.

8/10.

Paddington (2014)
Good family fun, 18 February 2015

Paddington - A charming, fun film for all the family to enjoy. Paddington is fantastically designed and looks extremely realistic amongst his new family. There are some hilarious moments as Paddington settles in to his new surroundings, in particular his first experience of a bathroom and also chasing down the wallet thief.

Paddington is a really fun, sweet & charming character and is voiced excellently by Ben Whishaw. The Brown family are nice characters with Hugh Bonneville and Sally Hawkins giving very good performances. There were plenty of other well know faces in smaller roles too as well as Nicole Kidman as the evil villain, Millicent. She is a similar villain to Cruella De Vil (Dalmatians) and may be at times a little intense for the younger audience.

The film had a good story so the novelty of the film didn't wear off in the 90 minutes. The story is predictable but its a family film and it isn't pretending to be anything its not.

Overall the film is a lovely film with plenty of positive vibes and sweet friendships. I enjoyed it a lot.

8/10.

One of the best films of all time, 16 February 2015

Released in 1997, I finally had my first viewing of Good Will Hunting this week. It's the best film I've seen in ages.

Featuring a great cast consisting of the late great Robin Williams, Matt Damon, Stellan Skarsgård and the Affleck brothers. Good Will Hunting was a simple film that offered a lot. It had a bit of everything, some very nice relationships amongst characters which was great drama and at times extremely funny. The film flows at a good pace which kept me interested all the way through, the story was intriguing as I really related to the characters well.

There were plenty of good laughs throughout the film as well as some truly memorable scenes packed with emotional punch, mostly from the meetings between Sean & Will, the way their relationship developed was full of heart. My favourite scene has to be the "farting wife" scene, absolutely hilarious and made even better when I found out after that it was improvised, Robin was so funny that even the director was laughing, making the camera shake during that particular scene.

Overall a truly memorable film that I certainly hope to watch again & again. Highly recommended.

"If you ever disrespect my wife again I will end you. I will *beep* end you. You got that, chief?" - Such a memorable scene/quote. Brilliant.

10/10.

Frank (2014/II)
Funny to start but becomes very tedious, 9 February 2015

Frank is certainly a film that I thought had a lot of good and bad points. The story is unique and Frank is a very mysterious character. Most of the film takes place in a nice remote setting which adds a great atmosphere.

The acting throughout from all the cast is of a very good standard. Domhnall Gleeson was absolutely fantastic and executed the jokes to perfection. I particularly enjoyed when we heard his thoughts/updates out loud, there were very funny at the start of the film. The humour overall is dry but works for the most part. Apart from Jon's thoughts out loud I would say the hot tub scene was also quite memorable.

The film takes a tragic turn midway through and the band also progress. I felt that after an hour the novelty wore off slightly and it became very tedious to watch, I really started to lose interest. The second half of the film didn't really work for me and I felt disappointed after such a great start. The film wasn't engaging enough to make me connect to the characters as the serious stuff happened but it was very enjoyable when it was more on the comedy side.

A well made film with great performances that unfortunately lost its way towards the end. Some will love it, some will hate it and I can see both sides to that argument. Overall I would say 5/10.

Colombiana (2011)
Very good action film - Zoe Saldana is superb, 6 February 2015

Colombiana - A young girl witnesses her parents getting killed and is determined for revenge in the future.

The plot is simple and very easy to follow. There is a lot of tense music throughout which creates a good atmosphere.

The action is extremely fast paced and done in an over the top style, there's a lot of fighting/killing mainly at the finale, some of which is very brutal. The dogs in the van is a particularly memorable scene.

The story develops at a nice pace and the film overall offers a bit more than I expected. I as the viewer really liked Cataleya as we saw her develop a lot throughout the film. Amandla Stenberg is fantastic as young Cataleya.

The film really heats up when we are taken 15 years on and Zoe Saldana takes over. She is absolutely superb in the role of the stone cold assassin out for revenge. She's got the looks, moves & style.

If you don't take the film too seriously then it will be enjoyable. Overall Colombiana kept me entertained from start to finish. A very good action flick.

Big Hero 6 (2014)
Excellent animated film, 4 February 2015

Just seen Big Hero 6 and really enjoyed it, another terrific animated film by Disney. I thought it was every bit as good as Wreck-It Ralph.

The film is somewhat a film of two halves, at the start it is all about the characters and it is absolutely hilarious in parts too. The second part of the film went a different direction as we saw a lot of action, which I wasn't expecting. But it was still good.

The animation is superb as usual and the voice cast are very good. I liked most of the characters in the film but Baymax is truly memorable, Baymax provided so many funny moments and in general is just a very lovable character.

A film that is a good mix of everything, sweet relationships between characters, very funny, cool gadgets, great action scenes and some amazing visuals. Just a really fun film to watch for all ages.

9/10.

Real Steel (2011)
A lot of fun, 26 January 2015

Set in the near future, Charlie Kenton (Hugh Jackman) is a former boxer with an interest in robot boxing. He is struggling for cash and will seemingly give anything to get a robot good enough to raise some funds. Charlie discovers that he has an 11 year old son (Max played superbly by Dakota Goya) but he is not really interested in getting to know him.

He signs custody over to the boy's aunt in exchange for cash but Charlie and his son have to spend at least one summer together. They don't get on very well together until Max shows an interest in the Robots. It is a very nice father & son development story and as the film progresses I began to like the characters more and more.

The film overall is very entertaining and unique in its own way, it has awesome special effects & the robots all look superb and have cool names. The fighting techniques of the robots are excellent including voice recognition and the ability to copy human movement.

The film is very uplifting and has some great character development after a rocky start to their relationships. It is is good, imaginative family fun that boasts an excellent soundtrack to go with the craziness.

9/10 and straight in to my top 10 of 2011.

Better than expected, 24 January 2015

The Guvnors is yet another British film based on street gangs. It is a tale of two different generations, the older guys who have all moved on from their past and the younger guys. Trouble starts when the old boy who is associated with 'The Guvnors', is murdered.

The film is set in London and the atmosphere on the streets is very grim. The film develops at a steady pace and we see different sides to both of the main characters which adds a bit of realism, rather than just watching 90 minutes of mindless violence without fully knowing the characters and their motives. There is an unexpected twist towards the end of the film. I felt it was a good twist so when the film approached the finale there was plenty of possibilities.

I felt it was a great acting debut by Harley from Rizzle Kicks and I certainly hope to see him in a few more films soon. The film also boasted a very good soundtrack throughout.

8/10 - would recommend but only if you like the genre.

Taken 3 (2014)
Not the best but better than Taken 2..., 23 January 2015

I am a huge fan of the original Taken film, it was my favourite film of that year and I have seen it a number of times. I was disappointed with Taken 2 but I still had to see Taken 3 out of pure curiosity. To my surprise I enjoyed it quite a lot.

The plot for Taken 3 is pretty predictable with hardly any surprises but it was more imaginative than Taken 2 and therefore more entertaining. Taken 3 doesn't have vast amounts of action but it was done pretty well when it needed to be, it all turned in to a cat & mouse chase which was quite enthralling even though everyone knew there would be only one outcome.

Some parts were a little cheesy and there really isn't anything new, the fighting techniques, gadgets, car chases and one liners are pretty much the same but the storyline was just better than Taken 2.

Overall it was a good end to the character of Bryan Mills (if it really is the end...who knows there may be a Taken 4 now he has a grandchild on the way....just joking) 7.5/10.

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]