StevinTasker

The numbers stack up in this one., 2 June 2013

The cavernous corridors of a secret CIA facility provide the claustrophobic setting for this tense, nervy thriller. I was gripped from the first ten minutes when the hero carries out some wet work, show's us his moral side and whose actions explain the function of these numbers stations. Cusack has massive appeal as a cerebral hero and he's no slouch in the action stakes either. When his moral code interferes with an assignment, he's given the task of watching over Katherine (Malin Ackerman), a cryptanalyst working at a lonely station nestled in the English countryside. The stars display strong screen chemistry, they're both effortlessly charming and I found them easily convincing. Arriving for their shift, they find the station attacked and the code compromised; the tension shifts up a gear as the two defend themselves and figure out what's going on. The screenplay, which is tidy and uncomplicated, draws to a satisfying conclusion but the ending is a tiny bit long. It's clear that this didn't have blockbuster financing but as a mainstream feature from a fledgling but talented director it compares favourably to many major studio offerings that don't show nearly as much class. Be warned though, this isn't a meat head's action picture with car chases and explosions all over the place.

Classic old school sci-fi, 9 April 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It reminded me of "day of the triffids" not the remake, I hasten to add! It's a simple survival story with fairly recognisable characters and it plays out by the numbers towards a satisfying conclusion. I didn't watch it for clever dialogue or plot plausibility and I do have a chuckle at those reviewers who seem to have mistaken the movie for something deep and meaningful; I can only assume they didn't watch the trailer beforehand! The effects are effectively realised and the stark, silent, Moscow streets are a welcome change in terms of setting. Some of the sets, like the crashed plane in the shopping mall for instance, are a real visual treat. For me this is a totally acceptable addition to the genre.

I thought I'd hate this......, 12 October 2011

I record it and usually intend to watch it in fast forward but something about it just pulls me in. I particularly like the chemistry between the two leads. The bloke playing Scott doesn't give a monkeys and whoever writes his dialogue has created something of a likable character. Believable no but likable yea. The English guy is a bit stiff but that's the way he's written. I'm glad to see that Sky has spent a bit of money and I hope they make more. It's not Downton Abbey but there's something quintessentially English about the way the thing is put together. I like the idea that beyond the hot air of the back room intelligence team (which they seem to set up at a moments notice in a foreign country in a shed) its just about two blokes running around with guns. They wont save the world, they don't set out to, but they will save the hostages - well, the good ones.

Is this a student film?, 10 July 2011

I watched this again today having been let down somewhat on the first viewing. I hoped I'd been little harsh on the TV treatment since I like Jack Higgins stuff and I was willing to give it another go. A second viewing didn't raise my appreciation. They seem to have spent loads on locations, this thing goes all over the world and there are a few decent sets. The story is fine and the woman playing Bernstein is excellent but Rob Lowe and most of the rest of the cast are dreadful. I can see a few well known faces in there but they deliver their lines as though they are drugged. It looks like it was shot on an old camcorder and the music sounds like it came from a 80's digital watch. I guess it depends on the production company and the resources they've got but I've seen many TV movies with good production values, Robin Cooks Formula for Death springs to mind as a good example. I've also seen Thunder Point with Kyle Maclachlan as Sean Dillan, it's just as bad.

The BBC has reached rock bottom., 23 May 2010

After all that she was dead anyway. All that rubbish in the first series about her parents being killed in a car bomb! It all came to nothing, the story line just dropped. We didn't even find out who shot her or why. All the screen time they wasted showing her angst over being apart from her daughter and she never got back to her. The last episode played out with Gene Hunt as a God type figure acting as custodian for the lost souls of dead coppers. His rival spent a couple of minutes trying to usher the supporting cast down to "the basement" before putting in a ridiculous turn outside the pub snarling like some hell hound. Alex Drake was supposed to be strong willed, resourceful and intelligent and yet she played no part in the three minutes or so they used to end the story. Why couldn't they just have her wake up in the hospital bed? I will watch out for further work from the writing team and avoid it to save myself further misery.

Just as disappointing as Life on Mars when Sam Tyler solved the mystery of who kidnapped his girlfriend. He solves it in an early episode, they arrest some guy and Sam realises he will become the kidnapper later on in life, but when Sam returns to the "real world" we don't get any further mention of his girlfriend, the kidnapper or the fact that Sam has put the pieces together. These, along with DI Drake's daughter and the mystery of her parents' death are the reasons we tuned in each week and the writers just left them hanging. What a shame. I've seen the ending to the US version of Life on Mars and at least it had the good grace to provide a proper ending, even though they nicked it from an episode of Red Dwarf.

Solid, old fashioned, sword and sorcery flick, 23 May 2010

If you took the time to find it, then you wont be disappointed with this solid, old fashioned sword and sorcery movie.

The tales of Solomon Kane have been around longer than most, the character first appearing in mass market print back in the late twenties, but they've not been filmed. Many others, borrowing from it have been filmed so you will be quite familiar with the twists and turns having seen them elsewhere. The saving grace here is that it's all done quite well. James Purefoy is every part the tortured warrior and it's good to see Max Von Sydow and the legend that is Pete Poslethwaite up on the big screen. It's a creepy, dark movie at times and the extra effort they've put into the set design and cinematography really helps to set the scene. The story nips along to a satisfying conclusion. The fight choreography is very well done and FX are good as well.

Gritty drama and some solid action, 9 February 2009

I love stuff like this. A tortured hero and a motley crew around him laying waste to all that is bad in the world. Each episode has action much like in the Professionals and the hero has a soul reminiscent of Edward Woodward in Callan.

The situations given to us each week depict a dark underbelly of crime; many of which ring all too true. It's dirty, nasty and the people therein are little better. Thankfully there's a lot to like about John Mercer, he's intelligent and his brooding on screen presence is lifted albeit momentarily by sharp dialogue and some welcome comic relief from his sidekick.

The shady organisation he works for is nothing new but the adventures are pulled off with such enthusiasm I can't help but like this show. Can't wait for series two.

Doomsday (2008)
Guilty Pleasure, 31 January 2009

This thing has it all. Can't think of a genre I like which isn't included. Neil Marshall knows his stuff and can pull off a decent action flick. This is one for all us action fanatics and it makes no apology for crashing head first into the mayhem. The basic premise is that an incurable plague decimates Scotland and a giant wall is erected to contain the victims in and leave them to die. Years later the plague appears beyond the wall and there still isn't a cure. The authorities have suppressed evidence of survivors in the "hot zone" and dispatch a special forces team led by Rhona Mitra to find out how the survivors haven't perished. What follows is a roller-coaster of action and adventure as the intrepid team look for a cure and make their way through the wasted cities encountering flesh eating tribes and medieval warlords. This movie is what happens when Escape from New York and 28 days later have a party with King Arthur and Mad Max; almost the perfect movie.

Taken (2008/I)
It doesn't get much better., 9 January 2009

A no nonsense, kick the crap out of everyone who gets in your way action movie. Liam Neeson's character is the angry love child of Bourne,Bond and all the other pretenders put together. If I was asked to cast the movie I guess he wouldn't have been my first choice but having seen it I can't think of anyone else I'd rather have in the role. The fight choreography is bone crunchingly good. This is one kick ass flick and one I will definitely buy on DVD. There's little doubt who the bad guys are and they get a very satisfactory smack in the mouth - when they aren't being shot or electrocuted. This was made by people who like the genre and know how to get an action movie from A to Z. I can't help but giggle at those reviews that mention plot and probability in this kind of movie. What kind of movie did they think they were going to see?

Outlander (2008)
Cracking movie, 5 January 2009

I managed to see this in Spain over Christmas. It's a really fun movie and gave me just what I was looking for. Great SF, plenty of action and a bit of drama in the mix as well. The sets, music and cinematography were good too. James Caviezel was excellent as usual as was Sophia Myles - to think of it, there wasn't a bum note in the cast and the script was fine. The battle scenes were very well done and the monster was as good as anything else i've seen on the big screen. Aliens, Vikings and Spacemen..come on! It's one of those movies I would buy on DVD and i've had a look on the official site etc..The positive feedback i've seen lately seems to have had an impact because the straight to DVD option has been shelved and the UK distributor has changed the release date from Feb to the Easter break. With any luck they will beef up the marketing and give this canny film the boost it deserves. If you like 13th Warrior or AVP type movies then this'll do for you.