au_law2001

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Banned but Timeless, 2 May 2006

Man, I remember this, I had a copy of this in one of those old compilations of Daffy Duck cartoons, way, way, back, when I was a kid. I can recall the Hirohito duck and his weird "Enrgish" singing and that parody of Hitler's speeches added with the "my momma a told me" and the Mussolini duck with the applause sign, and the only audience was the little fowl bound by a ball and chain. I also recall the marching of the three dictators with the "one, two, buckle my shoe..." and so on, and so on. Wooooo! All those years ago, these memories I had with this, and now on my age of 20, I can hardly believed that this was banned! But I would say it would be okay to watch this for fun or if you want to know a little about WWII, but you'll love it, it's good. By the way, that was not Daffy, during the salute, it was some lookalike, and there was this cut ending, where, after the rabbit knocks himself down, the three ran, only to be shot by a soldier coming out of an ad, and then the dove tells his children he hates war, but he chose no to run, and the there's three that didn't get away, then we see the dictators heads mounted on the wall, then some message says this is possible, all you have to do is buy United States Savings Bonds and Stamps, For Victory. I guess they cut that out because the advertising became useless after wards.

Hey Mr. Garrison, ever read the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe?, 18 January 2006

No? Neither have I, after hearing about this from my friend, I wondered what it would be like, if it might be just another overrated blockbuster, or if it was going to be good, well, I must admit I enjoyed, even though I found the earlier parts boring, but because I decided to stay, I was able to be more open minded to it, more attentive and decided to give it a chance, and it really is a true masterpiece, enough for the whole family to enjoy, it was colorful, dramatic, full of suspense and action of the LOTR variety, and it was mesmerizing, an eye candy and a wonderful story and lessons about working together, and trust, and who said anything about Christianity? As a Christian I didn't see anything about it, except for the reference to Genesis, but that didn't explain anything to me, sorry to say that, but that's just how I see it. My only complaint is the release date here, because it had a reference to Christmas, if it was released in December, it would have made more sense, but that's just me, it didn't matter to anyone else and it didn't make it bad, it was good either way. But I really have to read the books to know more of it, so must everyone else who enjoyed to feel the magic of it, or maybe they already did, hope they did. Anyways recommended to the whole family, if I did read the book, and did a report on it, I would give it a good review, and A, sorry Cartman, you get an F, I did not find this camel you said, I don't know what you were reading.

Comment on a film when you're less excited, 11 October 2005

After hearing about another installment of the Living Dead movies, I was excited, after seeing the movies and remakes, I wasn't sure how it would appeal to the new audience, or how it would have a social commentary or how it would be about, I only heard it would have things Romero wanted to do for Day of the Dead, but couldn't do it because of the cost, and space. So after hearing that, I wasn't sure what to believe, more of a mixture of emotions, will it fail or will it capture the feel of the old movies(especially with the idea of running zombies nowadays). But after seeing it, I must say it truly was a Romero film, and it was excellent, though maybe to others it wouldn't(thanks to today's zombie movies, but I think they are okay), but still it had the feel somehow, it had a bit of a social commentary of what America(maybe the world) has become, like the idea of the rich being in big buildings protected and the electric fence around it, keeping the zombies out, but it has also become almost like a prison for the people in it. But the idea of the dead being able to communicate and use weapons, well it wasn't bad(there was a zombie that uttered a word, almost in Day right?), it looked a lot more impressive than running zombies in my opinion. The only problems I have, is that it didn't have enough time to explain the story of the characters in the film and not enough of them were interesting, well I think the zombies were very interesting, so was Cholo and Kaufman, but others seemed very predictable. Overall a decent horror film, and it shows in my opinion that there is still light on Romero's Dead films. be sure to spot Tom Savini reprising Blades of Dawn of the Dead albeit a zombie, and Simon Pegg of Shaun of the Dead, my other compliant is that Nick Frost(Ed) wasn't included. Oh well, good film anyways!

Funny, very funny, if Mel Brooks made an anime, it would look like this., 17 September 2005

And I mean this is a very funny anime with a lot of parodies and spoofs, with other typical jokes and scenes you'd expect from an anime. The story is as follows: so-called heroine(anti-heroine?)Excel works for some crazy guy who lives in his basement, and looks like a stereotypical villain in anime, and tries to take over the city F City then the rest of the world blah blah blah blah, and keeps failing, and they have another associate the anemic Hyatt who keeps dying, and their neighbors, Watanabe, the poor unfortunate guy with idiotic roommates, and is also in a group trying to defend the City, and Pedro the guy who died and is kept by the Great Will, a universe with womanly arms and voice, who keeps the story in order. Overall a very funny anime series, and like I said if Mel Brooks worked on anime it would look like this, except the only things that are missing are the Jewish jokes, Leslie Nielson, and Mel Brooks himself saying "we have much to do and less time to do it in". Instead we have Nabeshin and Koshi Rikudo taking their roles, with Rikudo saying I hereby give permission to have Excel Saga as... and so on. Expect to see spoofs or at least references to Sailormoon, Dragon Ball Z, Love Hina, Doraemon, Fist of the North Star, Gundam, Titanic, Mickey Mouse, Looney Tunes, American gangster films, Aliens, Star Wars, BioZombie(a Hong Kong spoof of Dawn of the Dead), Lupin III, Di Gi Charat, Golgo 13, etc. I also recommend watching Parallel Trouble Adventure Dual! another spoof/parody, Galaxy Angel, GTO, and Eden's Bowy. They are also funny like this.

Brilliant film, too bad it never got the credit it deserved., 17 September 2005

An excellent film about the great depression fighter Jim Braddock who started as a poor has been prizefighter because of a broken right arm, and does everything he can for his family, driven by love, honor and an incredible dose of grit, he willed an impossible dream to come true. In a last-chance bid to help his family, Braddock returned to the ring. And he kept winning and inspired many people who are suffering under the great depression, because even though he is old and a bit of a has been, he never gave up, and he revived the American Spirit of 'never giving up' to them(which is why he is called the Cinderlla Man). Braddock rocketed through the ranks, until this underdog chose to do the unthinkable: take on the heavyweight champ of the world, the unstoppable Max Baer, renowned for having killed two men in the ring. But I think Max Baer portrayed as that was a little too much, but ya gotta love Craig Bierko's performance. Ron Howard did quite a good job at this, but too bad it didn't sell too well at the box office, this is great stuff here, too bad all the attention went to other overrated blockbusters such as 'The Dukes of Hazzard' and 'Bewitched'. But you gotta give this credit, it is worth watching, great acting and drama, watch this, you'll love it too believe me.

Forget Pearl Harbor, this is THE war movie., 1 September 2005

My brother was the first one to talk about this, I wasn't sure what to think so I decided to look out for it. Last week, I went into the mall, I saw this being advertised, and hearing it is a war movie, I decided to check it out. I missed the first credits, but that didn't really matter, about the film, I must say this was a very decent movie unlike the ones which were released the same day, it lived up to it's title and story, it was based on a book, what do ya know? Anyways back to the film, it tells the true story of the 6th Ranger Battalion, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Henry Mucci who undertake a daring rescue mission against all odds. Traveling thirty miles behind enemy lines, the 6th Ranger Battalion aims to liberate over 500 American prisoners-of-war from the notorious Cabanatuan Japanese POW camp in the most audacious rescue ever, and audacious it sure was! The fight scenes were kinda impressive, and the scenes with the underground organization were okay, it showed accurately how the Japanese treated our people here during that time. Overall an impressive film, and Cesar Montano was convincing as a the captain of the Philippine forces and he did his role well. Recommended to all movie goers who would like to know about WWII in the Pacific, especially to the people of my city, and especially the Japanese people, even though others there might not get it, others would, at least it is more accurate, true, and this time it got the mark, unlike Pearl Harbor. But one more thing bothers me, why was this pushed back indefinitely by Miramax a few years ago? Was it because they wanted it to be in line with films 60 years after the war ended, or was it because of the war in Iraq? I hope the war in Iraq is not the reason, because this film is about World War 2.

A light hearted version and side story of a great series., 22 August 2005

After Full Metal Panic, one might ask, what is happening with Sagara and Kaname now? Well, this one explains it, well almost, albeit a comedic way, basically, this is more of a spin-off or side story and has nothing to do with the mechs or the action though some familiar characters such as Mao, Weber, Kalinin, Richard, and especially Tessa do make appearances in several episodes, and it mostly focuses on how Sagara does in living a normal teenage life, and still has the military mentality he always had, especially when challenged by the karate club, or thinking that the love letter he got was a bomb, and he still uses his weapons and gadgets he had during the first series! But mostly it's all comedy, no mech fights here, but maybe a little gun fighting, albeit non-lethal, but it is still promising, up to the last episode, you get a ton of laughs, recommended to it's fans, and be sure to watch The Second Raid, which continues the Full Metal Panic story. By the way, a few episodes weren't shown in syndication as the rest due to a kidnapping, the episode had a familiar scenario, so it was pulled off.

"What is your major malfunction dirtbag?" is what was missing, and is possibly what Kaname might have been thinking about Sagara., 22 August 2005

Wow, a very funny anime series that has a lot of stuff, action, comedy, romance, drama, a little psychological theme ala Evangelion, but not too much of it, but a bit similar, and the main character who acts a little bit like Heero of Gundam, except crazier! In this one, a secret military organization serving no certain country, with technology and military equipment that years advanced and is ahead of Japan, US and Russia, deals with dangerous situations and rescues people from terrorist attacks, now has to protect someone, a Japanese student who is said to be a "whispered" the ones who have knowledge about secret technology, and is said to be targeted by terrorists, so they send someone, a 16 year old of Japanese descent to be the one to protect her, the 16 year old, who is Japanese, was raised in Afghani deserts and was trained as a child soldier, has had a lot of training, from unarmed combat, to piloting the M9 mechs, but has one problem: he doesn't have a clue of how to live in a normal environment with people his own age. So this maybe a tough mission for him. Overall a very funny show and perhaps one the best new giant robot animes out there, cool characters and beautiful animation, and intense action, and great comedy, especially the school scenes with Sagara, who still doesn't know a thing about high school or Japan. Sad. The only problem is that some of the characters, especially the bad guy, had very little character development, that the origin and explanation of their background was too vague. But overall a decent show recommended to all otaku, even to those who non or open to this type of animation.

Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde version of The Inspector, and good at it!, 22 August 2005

In this one, after arresting a seemingly insane scientist, who keeps saying the cops are the ones who are crazy, The Inspector and Sgt. DeuxDeux investigate in his mansion, believing that a monster he created is still within the vicinity, until Deux drinks a strange potion which turns him into a monster, and keeps turning back and forth into it, but they still believe there is still a monster until the inspector chickens out when he finds Deux is the monster, until the real monster comes out saying how glad he is the two are gone, and how they frighten him. Funny but a bit predictable, I found the scene when Deux transforms and goes back to normal after seeing himself in the mirror the monster he became, and the ending where he keeps transforming back and forth very hilarious, I like that part, "No, no, don't leave me with that monster!" Anyways still a good episode, and funny too.

Hehehehehe.... A Classic Inspector episode, 22 August 2005

I got to admit, I really loved those Freleng cartoons, Pink Panther, The Ant and The Aardvark, Roland and Ratfink, Hoot Kloot, and The Inspector was no exception, it was one of those classics that still make you feel good, and very memorable. In this one, the commissioner needs sleep, but some cat keeps singing, and the inspector tries to shut it up, only failing and ends taking the blame for it! Especially it being a holiday, he still tries to make sure the commissioner gets the sleep and peace he deserves, but to no avail until he gets the cat, and things become quiet for now, or do they? How many live is it a cat has?(or at least that's what people believed those days). A must watch episode for those who like this series.

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]