Xjayhawker

Billy Jack (1971)
Jack up the volume and enjoy some HIGH kicks..JUST LIKE THAT.., 21 June 2013

I doubt anyone born in the 80's and 90's could appreciate this "message" movie made in 1969 and released 2 years later..when Billy Jack came out, I had already been to war in Vietnam..and I didn't understand the Hippie movement or the peace movement and it took quite some time for me to come to grips with the other opinions that began to pervade American culture..I eventually realized that for a lot of US or American involvement in other countries' affairs has been going on for longer than anyone can remember..most of our wars are unnecessary..with that said..Billy Jack had studio financing problems..and Jean was not the first one cast to play that part..however..a lot of people complain that it looks cheap or amateurish..you have to realize..$800,000 doesn't go very far..and still made $65 million at the box office and $ 32 million in rentals..but back to Billy Jack..a guy who would much rather just live his life in peace..but the bigots just won't live and let live..and he is faced with a few situations where his training takes over..instinct..self preservation..he does his best to no avail..there are some classic scenes and memorable dialogue..one which has been quoted..when the deputy holds a gun to the girl's head and Billy levels his Winchester at the deputy.."you mean you'd kill her, just like that?" Billy replies.."You"ll kill her..then I"ll kill you..just like that.."..anyone who lived through that time will see similarities to events around them growing up as depicted in the movie..anyone looking for a CGI special effects..30 explosions per half hour will not find them here..but what they do find here will be thought-provoking and sincere..the characters are NOT stereotypes..I have known folks JUST LIKE THESE ..and hopefully you'll enjoy this minor classic..JUST LIKE THAT..

It's up there..way up there..with some adventure ..but watch your step, 30 April 2013

As a film buff,I enjoy who is in this..but as a film lover, I just have to forget some illogical situations..a part played by Lloyd Bridges which may or may not have influenced his acting in High Noon two years later..young gun..so to speak..a young guy who thinks he is superior to the older guy or anyone else..and in each film..gets his comeuppance..albeit in two different ways..but still..beaten..charming Glen Ford..really was a subdued scene- stealer..Valli..the beauty..used here as an anchor of sorts..she's doing it for her dead father..Ford is doing it for her..and everyone doing this climb for their own reasons..but I do have a problem with the climb itself..Swiss Alps?..blowing..snow..near-blizzard conditions..cold..oh so cold..cold enough that you can sit outside in the night cold..just sitting and thinking about your life or lack of one..or later..climbing without your glasses because they are broken and you don't have another pair along for the climb..climbing without gloves in the freezing Alps..with your bare hands while circumventing the dangerous narrow path..getting snow blindness in the process and lest I forget..two people falling in love and getting hitched..see it for the cinematography..not for the plot holes..Oscar Holmolka..Sir Cedrick Hardwick..what's not to like..but I would only say see this when there's not much else on..it's a diversion and you can come up with your own plot holes..and Claude Raines..who shouldn't be climbing any mountains at all and you have a somewhat disjointed movie..unlikely team of climbers doing implausible things..but individually..you know you like the characters from what they did before and after this..and you are hoping this is a good outing..but overall you will be dis-appointed with this..but the high up there scenery is worth looking at..Nuff said..

Colt .45 (1950)
Western cheese and there's no denying it.., 15 April 2013

I am a big Randolph Scott fan..I really am..and Ruth Roman has always been good eye candy..but I cannot give my support to such a contrived plot..Zachary Scott plays a cowardly gang leader..he stands petrified when the guns are turned on him..he's big man with a pair of colts in his hands..but there is a terrified look in his eyes without them..and I'm not sure why Zachary ever made it in the movies ..he has the weakest chin in town..Alan Hale who played so well off of Errol Flynn is mis-cast as a crooked town sheriff..Randy may be mis-cast as well as a clueless hero who falls for every trick in the book..dirt thrown in your face..hit over the head by a girl..rope across the dark country road..the fight at the end is bogus..it is just a rather lame western..I wish it was better cast and better directed..the action was fairly well staged..but uneven..I also must add that Lloyd Bridges plays an over-the-top ??partner?? In crime with Zachary Scott..he actually believes he's an equal partner in this enterprise..Ruth Roman can't decide where her loyalties lie..but Alan Hale as well as all the townsfolk are just pathetic..there's supposed to be a lot of gold being mined..but I never see miners..just town people..just set dressing..the Indians? stereotypes and not done well..the tepees? Store bought canvas creations..again set decorations..it is watchable..barely so..but you may chuckle a few times inadvertently..like laughing on the inside and crying on the outside..this is a disappointment..enough said..5 out of 10..being generous..

Love Me Tender..without the frills..Love Me True..if you wait for me.., 11 April 2013

Get rid of the swiveling hips and Elvis stage gyrations with the girls off stage and you have a very decent post Civil War tale of a family struggling in the aftermath of war..the title could have been Love Me Tender even before Elvis came aboard the project..as that was the central theme..girl waiting for her love to come home from the war and him coming home to find her we'd to his brother but still in love with him..OK..other actors were offered the Clint/Elvis part..Robert Wagner..Jeffery Hunter..and Cameron Mitchell..all contract players but they got Elvis and added songs to the production to take advantage of Presley's popularity at the time..so you end up with awkward moments in the film with Elvis being Elvis the entertainer..and with me wondering what a James Dean might have done with the role or even the other choices..Wagner,Hunter, or Mitchell..the facial expressions or voice inflections..but you have Robert Middleton,L.Q. Jones,Neville Brand, in support..and even Dick Sargent as a Confederate soldier..The leads are more than adequate..Richard Egan showing his emotions on his sleeve and trying not to..Deborah Paget as his true love..and her trying with little success to hide her true feelings..young James Drury and William Campbell as Reno family brothers and you have a family situation..a stolen military payroll at the end of the war..some jealousy..some greed..more than a little action..some really good dialogue..some good direction..just the right musical score for those perfect moments..and you have a nice,taut little film which is really quite good..if only you can dis-engage your mind from those songs and the Elvis stage scene..it's not that he was bad in the rest of the movie..he was well enough for the part which was originally meant to be a minor role..but he was popular enough for the film to make back it's production costs in only 3 days..but get by the music and enjoy a pretty good story..it is well told otherwise..

Not always on the straight and narrow.., 8 April 2013

See the movie..Don't let yourself be swayed by one or two bad reviews for this under-rated late 50's western with Robert Taylor playing the title character..Jake Wade ..town Marshall..and Richard Widmark as his ex-gang buddy(?) from back in the day..Civil War and post war years..a few have said the score sucked..maybe because of the strike in 1958..I can neither confirm nor deny..if that's the case, it must have been short lived as other films were released the month before(5) and a month later (1) ..big budget movies were released all year with great scores..by this time Robert Taylor was no longer the young handsome face of the 30's and was a veteran actor and a lot like Gary Cooper..played darker,more serious roles late in his career. More gritty..more realistic..the same year he did Saddle The Wind with John Cassavetes..and as gritty as Gregory Peck's The Bravados the same year..1958 and Peck's The Big Country..Cooper also played a town Marshall marrying someone younger in High Noon..he was a star and under played his role here letting Richard Widmark get most of the best lines until the last three minutes of the movie.."I would have handed you your gun" followed by Taylor's response.."you always liked me more than I like you"..good line..great acting..great supporting cast..great scenery filmed on location..but this movie is a sleeper and a keeper..and worthy of some attention..it deserves a look-see..from a good movie year..one of the better performances from that year..

Light 'Em if you got 'em..but now there's a warning label.., 2 April 2013

This is one of those should I watch this or not? Much has been made of the score..trust me..it's OK..but it does'nt soar or enrich the movie in any way..and what may be a good thing..there are large portions which are left alone..with only dialog to drive it..this is a movie where you have to take the good with the bad to get through it..like cough medicine..the star here is Gary cooper who does a good turn in this as a sleep walker..I do not know how he envisioned playing this role, , but he shows very little emotion..that's not acting..that's just taking up space on a stage..likewise Patricia Neal ..if only a little less so..the good? Lauren Bacall and Jack Carson who manage to steal their parts while on screen..Donald Crisp, as Patricia Neal's father..steady..as always in everything he's in..James Griffith as a southern book keeper working for Cooper plays a part unlike anything else he's ever done..usually someone on the dark side..other reviews have given you plot..I'm just giving performance reviews..a bit talky and slow..the direction by Michael Curtiz of Errol Flynn's films seems off his game..otherwise, why would it drag? The story..one that's been told a thousand times over ..revenge and mis-placed desire..there's no love lost here..it's revenge and more revenge ..and a climax you can see coming ..an ending that leaves you a little empty..another Cooper/Neal pairing from an earlier talky film..The Fountainhead..another unwatchable outing..Sorry..the good with the bad..COOP..how could you?

Grab some hot roasted peanuts and enjoy this for about nine innings., 1 April 2013

One of the reviewers said the players on this team couldn't play Major League Baseball..just to be clear..the original New York Mets couldn't play either..they were all players from other teams that became expendable to create a new team in New York..they were the lovable..fumbling..bumbling team that everyone felt sorry for with a manager that had more one-liners than Milton Berle..they had older players at the end of their careers..and young,inexperienced players..but over time and new talent, they became world champions of the baseball world..this film deals with a father-son bond..and aging ball players..one at the end of his career with one last summer in the sun..Ray Collins/Lt. Tragg of Perry Mason fame..Lloyd Bridges of High Noon and Sea Hunt..22 year old Anne Bancroft..Delightful Dan Dailey..Fess Parker/Davy Crockett/Daniel Boone..Richard Egan as a slimy..credit-taking manager for his team's turn-around..all players playing their parts superbly..some romance..some ball playing and some decisions about end of career choices..and young Billy Chapin as Dailey's son..turning in a performance not to be missed..for my money, you can have your Field of Dreams or Bull Durhams..this is sweet and innocent and worth your time..a lot of owners in the old days did things like this just for the publicity..and it worked..whoever heard of a 3 foot tall ball player? Or a pitcher with one leg? Times were different..but they were good times for a lot of us..and this is a nice little story that may have been true in another city and time..7 out of 10 for me..

Tepid..telling of familiar story..all too well., 25 March 2013

Low marks for too many reasons.. Mis-casting all around..plodding and talky at times..with unbelievable dialogue from top to bottom..how a person (in this case a woman doctor) can move from Boston to Santa Fe,New Mexico and expect things to be socially the same as in Boston is beyond belief and not try to adapt to her surroundings or new customs..Dana Andrews and Greer Garson sparring continuously and he supposedly falling for her enough to propose marriage..-and still be squabbling beyond the proposal..Dane Clark as a third-rate Cavalry officer (Greer's brother) very fancy clothes to wear in the southwest..but this was Hollywood..and this was not well done..some will say this was a good performance or this was a unique story.. I wish this was the case..but a poorly written script cannot coax a superb performance from A list stars..it just sounds contrived and in itself, the story-telling is dis-jointed and badly directed..regardless of what you may want to believe..this movie is contrived and not worthy of a viewing..unless you feel sorry for the cast..

The Ardennes Counteroffensive saw heroism and sacrifice in the line of fire.., 23 March 2013

As reviews go, , I feel reluctant to offer anything to what has already been said..after all you can only say the same thing only a few thousand different ways..With that said, this movie is poorly conceived..Is it to depict the actual battle? No, it is not..Then what? The battle itself was a mish-mash of countless skirmishes of positions over-run and ground held..pockets of resistance..my family settled in Jamestown,Virginia in 1747 and has fought in every war or police action (take your pick) that this country has been engaged in and my father was in Gen. Patton's Third Army at that time..and I have been in Belgium in the same area as the battle ..this is a movie with a lot of actors that are excellent in other movies, however this movie is an excuse to put them all together to make money for the studio..Dwight D. Eisenhower criticized this film for its inaccuracies..Robert Ryan did it for the money..Fonda thought this movie was beneath him..acting-wise..go for Hans Christian Blech for his portrayal of Robert Shaw's enlisted aide tired of war..or George Montgomery as a Staff Sergeant who takes a naive young officer under his wing..Charles Bronson and Telly Savalas doing some fine work..Robert Shaw..not bad..but not that good, either..Bronson and Savalas would be together 2 years later in The Dirty Dozen and a Warner Brothers actor Clint Walker in that but another Warner's actor..Ty Hardin in this one..Dana Andrews sleep-walks through his role..so maybe he also just did it for the paycheck..one reviewer called this one of the best..Sadly..it is not..good cast..overall poor acting..highly inaccurate in the telling and geography..cinematography?Poor..at best..I have always considered this poorly done ..to follow the actions of so few to get a comprehensive view of what took place on an eighty-five mile "breach" in the Allied front lines in on of the worst winters in fifty years..is impossible to correctly convey..and I must agree how silly it looks when the model tanks get their turrets blown off..and how both sides are fighting with the same equipment(tanks) just painted differently..and yes..I served in the military also..for my 20..which includes Vietnam..sunny skies when they are supposed to be over-cast and heavy fog..but still bright and clear and flat (no forests) for the climactic tank battle..it's just very poorly staged and executed..will never suggest watching this unless you are strapped down and forced..but for the record for the person who said The Battle of the Bulge is accurate..Military unit citations were for the Ardennes Counteroffensive..not for participation in the Battle of the Bulge..just say in'...

The thinking man's tough guy is not a James Bond type at all.., 18 March 2013

I suppose too many people give their view of a film fresh after having just seen a certain movie..the proper way is to see it more than once..then give a logical unemotional reselling of what you have seen..which is always the case with me..You like Jason Statham movies? Then you'll love this one..Action? Over the top almost flat out non- stop. Some have said the girl in the movie is annoying..at first..but the girl Natalya Rudakova playing Valentina in the movie not Valencia as one reviewer stated was working as a hairdresser in New York when she was spotted by Luc Besson who ran after her and suggested she take some acting lessons and then call him..Jane March of The Lover was a magazine cover model with no acting experience and played opposite Bruce Willis 2 years later in The Color of Night..Jason/Frank Martin is again offered a job which he turns down only to be persuaded that it is a job he can't refuse..driving across Europe with a young woman that he must eventually have to try and save without getting killed first..It is better than people have given it credit for and part of that is due in part by the go-to guy that can fix any thing..seal any deal..get anyone to agree to his terms..Robert Knepper in a great turn as a killer who doesn't believe in killing..sometimes it's just more efficient that way..who believes he does things for all the right reasons..here..the subject is TOXIC ..and the ending is a real blast..ENJOY..