suegrantmayaseth

Crawlspace (1972) (TV)
Worth seeing if you're curious, 5 July 2008

I was pleased to see this old TV-movie was on DVD; we'd had the novel around the house when I was a kid, and I always wondered what this movie would be like. I just finished watching it a few minutes ago, and in my opinion, it's pretty much of a mess. If you're curious about these old 70s TV-movies, it's worth your time, but its brisk running time is actually one of the biggest problems. The plot moves so quickly, and so unrealistically, that some of it was almost laughable. It might be interesting to read the novel, as there MUST be more to this story than its choppy rendering here. It has that grainy, creepy early 70s feel (reminded me of "Let's Scare Jessica to Death" in that way), but don't rent/buy it expecting much, or I think you'll be very disappointed.

More than a bit disappointed, 9 March 2005

Recently saw MDB (after all the awards, and I just can't see what all the fuss is about. It really baffles me. I found the film to be involving at times, but overall it didn't move me. Characters were written simplistically with very little provided to understand their motivations. The whole father/daughter element was obvious and hackneyed. The scenes with the priest and with Maggie's family were almost laughable they were so broad and unrealistic. The ending didn't flow with everything that lead up to it, and it simply wasn't effective. We don't really know enough about any of them to care about them in the way the film wants us to. On the plus side: performances were solid, if unspectacular, there were a few good lines, and some of the boxing was exciting. Overall though, it seemed like much ado about nothing. I haven't seen many movies this year, but just about all of them were better than Million Dollar Baby.