White rabbit is late. Needs to find his hole., 3 December 2014

One of the most worthless episodes ever done. Feel free to skip it. You will miss nothing.

Technically, the story is in keeping with Star Trek. Everything is explained in the traditional techno-lingo we know, but the whole episode comes across as senseless, and attempting to make sense of it is futile.

Go try to push a rope uphill, or some endeavor equally worthless, rather than watch this.

B. Bragga at his worse. Exploring some concept of his, that makes no sense to anyone else, and has no place in Star Trek. Basically a "Alice in Wonderland" episode, with all the nonsensical trappings and confusing references normally associated with such.

Jar-Jar Wesley, 23 November 2014

Wesley has always been somewhat of an Albatross for STNG.

Originally a good idea-concept for a character on a Star Trek revival, the writers quickly developed an inconsistency on how to handle him in episode plots. Which quickly doomed the character to fans.

Sometimes, he was a prodigy genius that saves the ship, other times a last resort subject for a script concept.

Sort of a John-Boy Walton/Will Robinson type, both Lost in Space!

The biggest problem I have with this character and the writers that wrote him, is that in the episode "Journey's End", Wesley pretty much severs all ties to Star Fleet, and leaves under circumstances that would prevent him from ever being allowed to return to Star Fleet service. Ever.

That's assuming that an inter-dimensional, space-time traveling being, who can control warp fields with his mind, would ever want to join Star Fleet again in the first place.

But in ST: Nemesis, Wesley is seen back in Star Fleet, again, and joining Riker on his new ship, Titan.

I'm so glad the Titan series books never mention him.

A brave, but weak, attempt., 12 November 2014

Interesting, but tired use of Egyptian symbols.

Ra as a female sun. Fertile sun, giving life, but also bringing about drought and death.

Horus as a male moon, forever chasing Ra across the sky. Bringer of night and release from Ra's heat and suffering.

Both poorly disguised symbols, borrowed to make up a story by some writer with no knowledge of archeology.

Yet these people progressed to the point of building a lifeboat pod, or seed, of their society, to send it out among the stars, to re-create themselves in the future. A structure whose gravitational mass forms the nucleus of a comet in its over 87 million years of travel through space.

Goddess! Spare me from a reality in which any religiously based society ever advances this far. It's like a cross between the Genesis Project and the Dark Ages.

Kirk would have blown it away the minute it started damaging the ship. With no great loss to anyone.

Fish-out-of-Water Comedy Meets the Perfect Fish, 24 September 2014

All right, I admit it. I really admire Sandra Bullock.

Heck! I even added her to my Blockbuster Video account (back when there was a Blockbuster Video) as an authorized user, just in case she ever wanted to rent a movie and didn't have any cash on hand.

Miss Congeniality is typical "Fish-out-of-Water" comedy, with one big difference. They happened to have cast the perfect person to play the "Fish", and the resulting film surpasses all other films of the same entertaining format.

Her down-to-earth attitude, sharp wit, good looks, physical and acting skills pulls off this role as no other actress could have done.

A perfect example of what happens when making a movie, any type of movie, when everything and everyone meshes together.

If you ever what to just sit down, relax, escape your own troubles and just enjoy the next couple of hours, watch this movie.

Forget the Movie. Read the book., 27 July 2014

This is difficult to review, because almost everything about it, the CGI, locations, actors, and such could have made this a great movie, and really brought visions of ERB's stories to life.

But the one thing that doomed this from being what it should/could have been was the script/screenplay. And the kindest words I can think of to describe it are..., another Hollywood Bastardization of an excellent story.

The ERB Estate should have filed criminal charges for literary rape this movie did to the original ERB story.

Carter and Powell are prospectors/miners in the beginning. They are escaping Indians. No mention of U.S. Cavalry.

Everything about Carter's wedding rings, wife & child is sheer Hollywood B.S..

The Therns are not even mentioned in the first book, and had nothing whatsoever to do with John Carter's transportation to Mars, his return to Earth, or his return to Mars.

The whole River Iss segment has no place in the first book.

In short, we have a movie that visually well-presented images described in the books (9 outta 10 stars!), but except for some basic stuff, threw the original books story-line out with the trash (-4 outta 10 stars!).

Want to be entertained? Read the book.

Want to waste 2 hours? Watch the movie.

It's a small world, after all!, 31 March 2014

I'm sorry that I had to use that annoying song from the Disney World ride as the summary title, but nothing else would fit here.

Now I can't get it out of my head.

The situation SG-1 finds here is a world who's pursuit of technology and industrial development so poisoned their atmosphere, that they had to build a protective bubble-dome around themselves to survive.

With all the surviving people inside the dome wearing a neural link to the central computer controlling the dome, as well as being the access all of their stored knowledge, they never realized that as their power source weakened, the computer shrunk the size of the dome shrunk to compensate, and erased all their memories of the people who were lost with every shrinkage.

Everything always appeared normal to them. But when SG-1 finds out the truth, the computer acts to prevent them from letting the people know they're in danger.

A Battle we too often see, 14 January 2014

A strong episode about a battle we too often see played out in the media today.

A child adopted at a young age, and raised with a good family, is suddenly taken away from the only home they have ever known, simply because his biological family now asserts a claim on them.

Regardless who the winner is in these situations, the only victim in any such battle is going to the child. Instead of possibility of growing up with two family's, they will now have to give up one of them.

How often we lose that which should have been our main focus all along. The best for the child and what they want.

One of Star Treks best., 3 January 2014

I have to admit that this is one of my favorite episodes of the entire series.

One aspect of the plot is something we've seen many times before. Some planet/race has requested membership to the Federation, and the Enterprise is sent to evaluate and report on their findings.

But a wrench is thrown into the process when a prisoner escapes from a lunar prison facility, and the government request the Enterprise's help in re-capturing him. With some difficulty, they do so. Only now they find that the prisoner, a veteran of a previous war, had committed no crimes, and was sent to prison only because he was now considered by the citizens of his home world as now simply being undesirable to be allowed to return to normal society.

A particularly great twist in the plot is that, after so many times before we've seen the Prime Directive take a back-seat to the desire of the crew to help other cultures, we now get to see it used to keep the Federation out from interfering with situation that the native government has brought upon itself.

And a most deservedly so situation it is!

One of the Finest examples of a vision., 2 January 2014

During the height of the Cold War in the '60's, G. Roddenberry had a vision of a TV show that would portray Mankind in the distant future as having become the best we are capable of becoming.

Original Star Trek was the result, and it really started something. Proof of that is that today we are still praising film and written examples of mankind overcoming our own differences and faults, uniting as one, and thereby becoming an example for all life. Anywhere.

The crude and poor resources of the '60's TV industry managed in getting this ideal across, otherwise, we would not be here 50 years later discussing this.

ST-TNG (so far) has been the pinnacle of this vision. This episode stands as one of the best example of it.

Patrick Stewart's background in Shakespearian acting really comes across here, and sets the standard for all of the others. And they all rose to the challenge and delivered amazingly.

This stands as one of the best episodes of ST-TNG, when it was in it's prime! The feelings, tension, and drama it shows are far beyond the capability of those behind the latest movie efforts to carry on the ST storyline.

Some alien somewhere has 10 thumbs, and they are all 'Up' for this one.

And had you the power, would you not do the same?, 29 December 2013

A very powerful human drama.

A peaceful being, possessing omnipotent abilities, finds love with a human woman and settles down to live a joyful normal life with her. All is well with them, and they eventually settling down on a remote world to live out the remainder of their lives (her life, as he is immortal) together.

A Powerful and evil alien race attacks the colony years later, killing the only woman he has ever loved, and in a moment of grief-fueled rage, he erases the entire attacking race, billions of them, from existence. Everywhere.

Doubly stricken with grief now, for both her death, and for what he has done because of it, he creates a small bubble/prison of illusion to live out eternity in.

Unfortunately, the colony had sent out a message for help before being destroyed, and now the Enterprise has arrived to investigate what happened.