ernesto-garcia

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

The Entity (1982)
A frightening shock-fest, 10 April 2013

The Entity is a very effective little horror gem. I will start off with the stuff I did not enjoy. First is the ending which is very cheesy and goes against everything the first part of the film was building towards. And the Film does suffer a bit when they bring in the paranormal investigators come into the story. The acting is serviceable at the least and the musical score is as shocking and excellent. The first part of the film is truly terrifying and scary. The rape scenes are brutal and not for the faint of heart. See this flick if you want to see a good supernatural horror film. Skip it if you are easily disturbed by graphic paranormal violence.

Evil Dead (2013)
On Par with The Thing,The Fly,and Dawn of the Dead, 4 April 2013

Evil Dead is more of a re-imagining rather than a remake, and to be honest I am glad they went this way. I will start off with the stuff I did not like about this film. The blonde and Jessica Lucas are very forgettable, it's not like they were "bad", just forgettable. And this next one is more of a nit-pick but it will not be the most terrifying film you will ever experience, hell, it may be one of them, but I hardly doubt it will be "THE" most terrifying film you will ever experience. Now I can get to the stuff I liked. Shiloh Fernandez does pretty good acting wise. Jane Levy and Lou Taylor are absolutely amazing. The gore is amazing and even though this might not be the scariest film you ever see, it still has some good scares and shocks and the atmosphere is creepy and unnerving. See this flick if you want to see a horror remake done right. Skip if you are easily grossed out by blood and gore. 9.5/10

[Rec] 2 (2009)
A Genuine Review of Rec 2, 21 March 2013

Rec 2 takes a more supernatural approach to the hugely successful Spanish found footage film Rec. So Rec 2 is a lot like Aliens is to Alien, while Rec focused more on creepy atmosphere and tense long moments Rec 2 focuses more on balls to the wall action. Rec 2 continues the story by sending a team of swat members into the building to "contain" the situation. Rec 2 fortunately doesn't spare any scares and incorporates them nicely into the action packed story line. Rec 2 does bring some more religious themes into the mix and I think that is where the American version of Rec and the Spanish version differ, and I think without a doubt that the Spanish version is far superior. See Rec 2 if you want to see an excellent sequel. Skip it if you don't like reading subtitles or POV films.

Suspiria (1977)
A Genuine Review of Suspiria, 21 February 2013

Suspiria is the 1977 giallo classic directed by Dario Argento. So for those of you who don't know giallo is a style of film making that takes pride in bright colors,inventive shots,and blood,lots and lots of bright red blood. So Suspiria is about a girl who travels to a very famous ballet school.On the night of her arrival we are treated to a very tense and scary kill sequence.Things go from bad to worse as she slowly finds out that an evil coven of witches is using the school as a cover and their base of operations. Suspiria is a wonderful film that is both truly scary and chock full of gore.Suspiria also has a haunting soundtrack courtesy of the Italian progressive rock band,Goblin. See Suspiria if you love horror films and realize that horror film can excel to a true form of art and fine art at that.Skip this if you don't love horror films,this is an absolute must for any horror film fan. 10/10

The Raven (2012/I)
A Genuine Review of The Raven, 13 February 2013

The Raven is a 2012 horror film starring John Cusack as Edgar Allen Poe. So The Raven is about a killer patterning his murders after Poe's books. The Raven suffers from bad acting and overacting, but I think Luke Evans did a fair job. The Raven takes it self a tad to seriously and that is also a main problem. The las complaint is that the reveal is not very satisfying.Some of The Raven's strong points are the kills and the atmosphere it creates.I also wish that they had taken the time to make this more about the chills and less about the gore. Overall this film is good to watch,but you may be a little disappointed. See this flick if you want to see Saw in the 1800s. Skip it if you were looking for a horror flick with more substance and meaning. 6.5/10

A Genuine Review of Army of Darkness, 11 February 2013

Army of Darkness is the third film in the "Evil Dead" trilogy. So Army of Darkness is the third film in the series and it is by far the cheesiest and the most comedic. Army of Darkness follows the events of Evil Dead 2. To sum everything up Ash ends up in Med-Evil times and he must lead the "Screwheads" into battle against an army of darkness.Army of darkness is the ultimate in camp horror. The film knows that it is cheesy and it runs with it.Honestly, Army of Darkness is so tongue in cheek that you could show it to kids and they would get a kick out of it. I love this film with every ounce of my heart, and the only problem with it,for me, is that I wanted it to be just a tad more serious and the fact that it doesn't quite live up to the second or the original. 9/10

A Genuine Review of The Evil Dead II, 11 February 2013

The Evil Dead 2 is a fantastic sequel to an already excellent original. Evil Dead 2 is sort of like a sequel/remake if that makes any sense. Evil Dead 2 is about Ash heading up to an isolated cabin in the forest with his girlfriend for a little R and R. Things go from 0 to 60 when Ash decides to read a passage from an ancient,evil book. Then we are introduced to a group of people that are also headed to the cabin to research the book when they find a bloodied Ash spinning strange tales of possession and death. Soon the vengeful demons come back for another round but this time the group is prepared and they put up quite a fight.I personally like this one better than the original but that is just me. If you are a horror comedy fan see this flick, you will love it. 10/10

A Genuine Review of The Evil Dead, 11 February 2013

In honor of the new Evil Dead remake I will be reviewing the original Evil Dead trilogy. Evil Dead is the 1981 horror classic directed by Sam Raimi. Many people think that The Evil Dead is more comedic like it's brother,Evli Dead 2, but the original Evil Dead is quite scary. Evil Dead is about a group of friends who go to a isolated cabin deep in the woods and are attacked by an evil force. Evil Dead has a very distinct feel to it sort of a realistic tone to it. Evil Dead not only gave us the "Cabin In the Woods" genre but it also gave us one of the grooviest horror movie heroes ever Ashley or "Ash" if you prefer. This is one of the best,scariest films ever created. The only problem I can imagine one having with this film is that it is dated and very campy. Other than that it is a near perfect film. 9.5/10

A Genuine Review of A Nightmare on Elm St, 11 February 2013

A Nightmare on Elm St is a remake of the classic 1984 film. A Nightmare on Elm St almost strikes the offensive chord,and the only thing that saves it from being a complete disaster is an impressive performance from Jackie Earle Haley.I will start off by saying that the original is my all time favorite horror film and it is very near and dear to my heart. This remake kills everything that I loved about the original and I think that might be why I hate it so much.The film is similar to the original in many ways and that is not where the problem lies.In fact the problem is that they change so much of the good things and replace them with every trope that we have seen a million times over.The performances are pretty weak and nothing really stands out as good,just OK. So all in all if you like a lot of the newer remakes you will probably like this one. If you are like me then stick with the original. 2/10

Aliens (1986)
A Genuine Review of Aliens, 11 February 2013

Aliens is 1986 science fiction/horror/action sequel directed by James Cameron. So Aliens is widely considered one of the best science fiction films of that period of time and one of the best sequels ever made. Aliens is the story of Ripley and a group of space marines that head to distant planet to investigate strange incidents. Little do the marines know that there are dangerous aliens roaming the buildings around them. The film sacrifices most of it's atmospheric qualities for a far more action packed punch that I personally prefer.I have absolutely no problem with this film,even if I try and knit-pick.I can not think of anyone that will not enjoy this film it is a complete and total masterpiece. 10/10

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]