june6mo

Great popcorn flick!, 23 September 2004

I don't know how many times I've seen this movie--I've lost count. It's not a classic like Gone with the Wind, but it's got that kind of "soapy" feel--like Imitation of Life, Madame Bovary, or Madame X. What is enjoyable about the film is the fact that it tries like hell to be politically correct in some areas (e.g. Sidney Poitier prancing about as if he were Hamish Bond's son, yet he has this love-hate relationship with him), but doesn't bother to be politically correct in others, with slaves singing happily (why do slaves always sing in these stupid movies?) & Dolly (like Prissy from GWTW). It's obvious that the beginnings of the Civil Rights movement impacted this film to a degree. Sydney's character has so much attitude that there's no way he would have really survived in those days, but who cares? He's definitely sexy in this movie.

Still, with all of its faults, it's an enjoyable movie--just don't take any of it too seriously or as a piece of history in any way. It's just great to see up & coming Sydney the actor with the Clark Gable the legend playing a character similar to Rhett Butler, and for the last time. Yvonne's great, too (who knew she would eventually become Lily Munster?) and the rest of the movie is well-cast. I like the scene when Hamish's old sea buddy comes by, gets drunk, and while the wind & rain is swirling about him he holds up his finger and says "I think there's a wee breeze..." or something to that effect. Clark is just looking at him, smiling, and I just crack up over that part.

Great popcorn flick!, 23 September 2004