CGMCC

True to the series, 11 March 2010

I disagree with a previous reviewer. This is vintage Gunsmoke, even though there's only Matt Dillon as a main character from the series. It's a direct sequel to the amnesia episode and has Michael Learner playing the same character she played about 20 years before! After Return To Dodge, where we have an obviously aging Miss Kitty, Matt strikes out on his own and the story, the acting, and the cinematography and locations are all first rate.

This is as true to the Gunsmoke series as The Wrath Of Khan was to the original Star Trek series; a direct sequel to the episode Space Seed.

I give The Last Apache a solid 9.

A lot of good chuckles in this Hallmark Western, 14 July 2009

Dean Cain surprised me. The star of Lois & Clark is almost unrecognizable here, but that's fine as he fit right in with the proceedings. The comedy is subtle, but there's a lot of it! Alison Hossack is a new actress to me, and she nailed her role of the neighboring ranch owner who has a crush on the Gunslinger, played by James Tupper.

The invading protagonists could have been handled a bit better, but I can somewhat overlook that because the story was not really about them. The budget was apparent in some of the explosions.

The scenery was great, the sets and props excellent, and a pesky rain was noticed in about half of the picture. The star of this movie was the witty script and dialog between the stars!

I was well entertained! 9 out of 10.

One of the best Tweety & Sylvester Toons!, 2 November 2008

This is one of the very few Tweety cartoons that actually has a story to it, as Granny discovers that she can't get to her cabin where her bird and cat are holed up due to a snowstorm.

Amazingly, we also see that Tweety and Sylvester are co-existing in a friendly manner!!! But the radio announcer comes and tells them that it could be weeks before they might escape, and there's no food for Sylvester except Tweety.

So it's not his fault when he attempts to cook our little yellow friend. Interrupting this is a mouse who is also hungry and starts chewing on Sylvester. This is one of the very few times that we actually get to root for Sylvester! The animation is excellent! And while one reviewer detests Tweety's voice, he shouldn't knock this cartoon just because of that!

Confirming the previous post., 8 June 2008

There were two versions of the original Lone Ranger origin story made.

One was for the TV Series in black and white, and then this one filmed a few years later in color!

This probably coincided with the TV series going into color, but I am uncertain about the timing of that.

Both versions starred the same actors:

Clayton Moore played the Lone Ranger, Jay Silverheels played Tonto, and Glenn Strange (the bartender in Miss Kitty's Long Branch saloon on Gunsmoke) played Butch Cavendish.

I prefer the color version, though both versions are excellently photographed.

Additional information for Ted Watson, and anyone else:

The B&W version was filmed in 1949! It was compiled into a movie in 1952. This version was shot in 1955 in color. Don't base your theories on credits because they certainly are not all here in IMDb. If I can get my eyes on the color version again, I will update this again.

Not very good, but not that bad...., 26 October 2007

Given that Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels are firmly in our minds and hearts as the Lone Ranger and Tonto, it was imperative that the casting of this film be correct. It's fine to cast an unknown actor in the title role, but whoever conducted the screen test certainly goofed big time. If you have to dub the voice of Klinton Spilsbury, then he's probably not the best choice for the role. This was worse than casting Michael Keaton as Batman, because Keaton amazingly pulled it off.

Actually, the rest of the cast was pretty good. Christopher Lloyd as Butch Cavendish, Michael Horse as Tonto, and Richard Farnsworth as Wild Bill Hickok made the movie watchable.

The acting ability of Spilsbury is virtually non-existent, though the physical action was passable.

Other problems: The story has been told in films at least three times before, and the Lone Ranger never killed anyone in the other films and TV series. If the "real" Lone Ranger knew the fall would kill the outlaw, he would have chosen a different way to capture him. This Lone Ranger simply was not very believable.

Long takes, 26 April 2007

This is the first episode of this show I have seen.

I don't know if this is the norm for X-Files but, in this day of quick and short shots linked together to form action like in music videos, there are numerous extended takes which are simply superb! To see Gillian try to get some information to save the agent out of time aboard the Queen Anne, going from floor to floor to the parking garage without a cut in the cinematography is amazing! Also great is the music soundtrack of Benny Goodman-like swing music, appropriate to 1939 when some of this program was set! I have no idea why I missed seeing this series, but I have concluded that I need to see more.

Just another little tidbit not yet mentioned., 15 December 2006

I must admit here and now that I have not seen this film. However, in my research of such B-Westerns, I found that this film was originally shot in 3-D. That has not been mentioned anywhere.

Perhaps the IMDb crew can investigate and make the appropriate notation wherever it is that such notations are made.

I certainly would like to see this film, as it appears to have an interesting cast... John Payne, Dan Duryea, and Lizabeth Scott usually do good work, and the other reviews have generally been positive.

From the reviews, this could perhaps be one of the best 3-D movies made during the 3-D movie craze in the early 1950's... Hondo being another one that could be better.

Brilliant Wide-screen Outdoor Western!, 22 November 2006

There have been some write-ups as to why Anthony Mann quit the film, either as a result of not getting along with James Stewart or his criticizing Audie Murphy on his acting ability. Personally, I think it might be the latter because I can't fathom anybdy in Hollywood not getting along with James Stewart! But, one thing is certain... the Mann trademark locations had already been determined before Mr. Mann left. Colorado never looked better! And the wide screen format just enhances this! I like films with trains. Here we see an extended train sequence through that beautiful scenery, including a fairly spectacular crash with the water tower.

It's been written in a couple places here that the cast was somewhat weak. While I do agree that Jack Elam only had a bit to do, we've still got James Stewart, Audie Murphy, Dan Duryea (great over-acting stint!), Elaine Stewart, Dianne Foster, Brandon De Wilde, Jay C. Flippen, Robert Wilke (looking like an older Richard Widmark), Hugh Beaumont, Paul Fix, and a nice scene with Olive Carey. That's a pretty good bunch for TV Director James Neilson to put through their paces.

The Cinematography gets a 10. The rest gets a solid 9. Highly recommended!

That Indian Maiden..., 11 November 2006

A previous commentator wrote: "I was blown away by the beauty of the actress playing the Indian maiden in this film. From the first moment you see her on screen she looks like you could reach out and touch her, she is so realistic. The D.W. Griffith Years of Discovery liner notes say she was "unknown." Well, that is a crying shame! How could someone not document who she was? She was stunning, and completely believable. If anyone knows who she was, please post it here for posterity."

I have not seen the film. However, to possibly solve the mystery... it could have been Ruth Hart, as she was about 16 years old when the film was made. If it was not Ruth Hart, then I agree that it is a crying shame. Griffith usually included credits for the main actors, and it's hard to believe that the Indian maiden actress would go uncredited.

It is films like this that should be shown on TCM or FMC.

Dance scenes misplaced?, 5 October 2006

That's what Coventry said in his/her review. I could not disagree more, as the last one led directly into the climax of the film, which was very well done. It also let us see the psyche of Palance's character as he reacts to the leading lady, played by Constance Smith, who is the featured dancer in the cabaret. She's also the only one in the film who thinks Palance is NOT Jack the Ripper.

Frances Bavier keeps the film moving with a spirited performance.

Nicely atmospheric with an outstanding performance by Jack Palance, in his 8th film. Excellent supporting cast, cinematography.

I rated it an 8.