Reviews

10 ReviewsOrdered By: Date
Boyhood (I) (2014)
There's absolutely no event in this movie that left an imprint...
12 February 2015
This movie is completely, utterly, boring. There's literally nothing that happens. It's about a boy living an extremely dull and clichéd life. There's virtually no drama that happens throughout the entire movie, and the drama that is presented is still quite listless and unimportant. In other words, this movie is about as plot-less as a movie can get. It took twelve years to film, and yet, those years span by quickly and dully, one event after the other, with no point or order, just chaotic and random. But what makes the movie so dull was the main character.

In the movie, there is nothing bad happens to the main character, nothing to make you connect with him. There's nothing life changing. In fact, the three biggest "bad" things that happen to him are that his mother can't find "the right guy" (after divorcing his father, she marries her college professor who turns out to become a drunk, and then she marries one of her own college students, who turns out to have mental stability problems due to him serving in the military; both of which she ends up divorcing as well), and his father sells the car that he had thought would be his when he turned sixteen, and his girlfriend cheated on him, which resulted in their relationship ending. Other than this, nothing happens. He literally goes through life showing as little emotion as possible, just floating by, as though he was in a coma, or constantly tired.

So, finally, after two hours and thirty minutes, you come towards the end of the movie. The "boy" is now an adult who has graduated high school and who is going to be going to college. Upon him packing his last things, his mother breaks down saying that there's nothing more that is going to happen with her life. That her life has just been a series of events: her having her children, her divorcing her husband, her raising her children, her marrying a man, divorcing him, raising her kids some more, marring her college student just to divorce him as well, and finally, her sending first her daughter to college, and then her son. Then she concludes with saying that what comes next is, "(her) funeral." To this, the boy, replies that she's off by forty years, "or something." Then she says that, "(she) expected there to be more." The movie then cuts to him driving on the road to college.

When he finally arrives at college, he meets his new roommate, who is friendly and invites him to go hiking with his girlfriend and another friend (who is also a girl). When Mason (the main character) sees that she's pretty, he decides that he'll go. Before he goes, his new roommate hands him a hallucinatory mushroom and says that by the time they reach the mountains, it will have an effect. It then fast forwards to them walking to the mountains and we see that Mason and the new girl are getting along very well. Then it cuts to them sitting and chatting. Across the distance, he sees his roommate yelling into the wind, and he begins to talk to this new girl, named Nicole, about how we need to, "seize the moment." Nicole replies with saying, "I think moments seize us," and it shows Mason thinking for a moment, and then it cuts to the end credits.

I think what bothered me the most about the film was the fact that, despite it having no order, there was a point, but it wasn't that great of one. Mason, who lived his entire boring life on coasting mode is finally forced to see that if he keeps doing this, he will end up like his mom––just living, but not truly alive in the sense of being satisfied with life. The point is that we need to let the moments seize us, and we need to live. Yet, what made this theme so irrelevant was the fact that there was hardly a moment for him to have ever seized! There was no bad, barely any good, nothing that would have made is life have any significant meaning. By the end of the movie, you ask yourself, "Is my life really this boring?" And do you know what my answer was? "No, there's more drama in mine."

In conclusion, if you want to see a long movie that drags on and on about a boy just living his life, then you'll love this movie. Even though it had a theme presented at the end, in my opinion, it just wasn't enough to save the movie overall. It is sad really, because it was such an ambitious project. But by creating such a dull life where nothing happens, I feel that they wasted those twelve years, because in all actuality, most people's lives are far more chaotic and show signs of actual character development due to things that happen, both good and bad, in their lives. That's what this movie failed to do: deliver on experiences that are worth watching. What's left instead is dull, listlessness that fails to satisfy someone who wanted to be entertained. I wanted to see sadness, hopelessness, as well as extreme elation and happiness. To see someone grow into a great person despite and because of circumstances. What I got was boy coasting his entire life though a movie that has a run time far too long.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gravity (2013)
A Beautiful, Deep, Intelligent Film
20 November 2014
This is one of those movies that uses cutting edge technology to deliver a story that could never be delivered (as strongly) before. The effects, the level of fidelity that they were able to achieve, is amazing. The way the objects interact with each other, the way the weightlessness appears––it's all top notch. Every second of this movie feels as though you are in space along with the actors. But it does not end there.

During almost the entire film, there is a sense of dread, a sense that you do not belong in this world––that we as people do not belong in space. As you watch the characters, whose leads are portrayed by Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, struggle to survive, you feel as though it were you. It is as though it is you that are helplessly floating around in this surreal, visceral world that is so dangerous, lonely, and empty. You feel as though you are floating away (even more if you are viewing it in 3D) to your death, to slowly die of lack of oxygen or to perhaps be ripped apart by space debris. These emotions of fear, anxiety, and sorrow, are all made to be real by Sandra Bullock's acting, which is some of the finest that I have seen.

There is a reason that Sandra Bullock has garnered so much critical praise for this movie, and it is simply this: her role in this movie is completely, utterly convincing. Every moment that her life is in danger, every instance of fear, the feeling that you want––need––to survive, you feel it along with her. Her performance alone makes the movies somewhat linear plot amazing.

The outline of the plot is this: Dr. Ryan Stone (Bullock), a biomedical engineer on NASA space shuttle "Explorer," on her first mission with Matt Kowalski, which evidently turns out to be his last mission. During a "routine walk," they receive news that an old Russian satellite has been struck with a missile attack. This caused a chain of reaction which causes high speed space debris flying in the path of the "Explorer." They are told, by headquarters, that they need to begin re-entry immediately in order to avoid the debris. Before they can do this, however, the "Explorer" is struck and Dr. Stone and Kowalski are detached and spiral throughout space. The plot follows their attempts to survive and, somehow, against all odds, make it back home, to Earth.

The plot, as mentioned above, is linear, however, the compelling performances by the leads, most notably Sandra Bullocks, makes it all believable and realistic. When paired with all the technical marvels, and the overall believability, you get one of the best thrillers/dramas that has ever been released.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Great, Well Produced Reboot
6 July 2014
This is an amazing film, one of the best comic book-movies, perhaps the best, that I have seen. While it does serve as a reboot, at the same time, it also manages to tie in all the other movies that were created prior to it.

The basis of the storyline is this: in 1973 a scientist engineered a group of robotic weapons called the Sentinals that can detect and kill mutants. The creation was perfected when Mystique was captured and her DNA used to design a newer model of these machines. Once released, they waged war on mutants, bringing them to near extinction. In order to save the mutant species, Magneto and Xavier, must use Kitty Pryde's ability to send back someone's conscience to the past in order to stop the creation of the Sentinals. Wolverine, who has the power to heal instantly, is the only one capable to make the trip back because everyone else's' brains will be "Torn apart." Once he returns to the past, it is Wolverine's job to find the younger Charles (Xavier) and Erik (Magneto) and stop Mystique's DNA from getting into the hands of the creator of the Sentinals. If they fail, mutants will, without a doubt, be wiped from existence, but if they succeed, they will stop the war from ever happening.

This movie has to be one of the best comic book movies out there. The plot, along with the storying telling aspects, are very strong and support the movie from its opening scenes to its end credits. The acting, as well, is also executed very well; each actor put their utmost in portraying their roles. The character development was also very impressive. In this movie, each characters' decisions felt real, and the events that took place affected how they would ultimately act or behave. And to merge all of these elements together, there are of course the brilliant cinematography and special affects, which will astound everyone at their complexities. When you leave the theater, you know that the creators of this movie were fans of the comic books. This is an epic made from a comic book. It is based around the comics and it shows, and it brings together all the elements that makes us love its source material. When you see this movie, you will feel all the emotion, the power, that the producers, director, and writers felt when they created this movie. This is a stunning comic book film. 9/10.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fringe (2008–2013)
Fringe
13 March 2013
Fringe is one of those shows that makes you think. It gets you to ponder the ideas that are being portrayed throughout it, and you wonder "could that be possible?" It's this very reason that I became so attached with it. It was, by far, the best Sci-fi show of all time, easily besting X-Files. It had superb acting, as well as stunning visual effects.

When season three ended, I couldn't help but think: "There needs to be more than three seasons to this." When the fourth ended: "There most be another." And I said the same thing when the fifth, and final, ended. I felt sad that the show finally climaxed. There just wasn't enough viewers so they had to shut it down. It made me wonder if the problem was with the show, or with the people who watch it––were they people like me who had to think about the events occurring in "Fringe" or did they just flip the channel?

This show is one of the best that television had ever been blessed to see, and I am truly glad that I was a part of being able to watch such an achievement. Great show, and I can only hope that some third party will pick up the show and continue to air it. But I won't get my hopes up. If there were more things like this on television, I probably would never leave the house. I'm pretty sure that's both bad and good, but I am honestly going to miss it. Goodbye "Fringe," you gave me many hours of Sci-Fi awesomeness and I solute you!
0 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
They Ruined it...
13 March 2013
This could have been a great film, but they decided to cut out the main antagonist from the original films, therefore destroying any good credit that it could have gotten from me. I was a big of of Jurassic Park, and I loved The Lost world because it had more scenes with the T-Rex, but this was just horrible. In reality, the T-Rex wouldn't have died because the Spinasaruaus ate fish and had really small teeth compared to the T-Rex. Plus, there are so many stupid details in this movie that it's shocking... It broke my heart to see the series die with this movie... after all the first was one of the highest grossing films of all time.
17 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Great Start of a New Series
9 March 2013
This is not a prequel to the "Wizard of Oz," the 1939 film that I am sure that most of you think this is tied into. The original "Wizard of Oz" was owned by Warner Bros. (WB), not Disney, however the only reason Disney made the film was not because it was based off of the movie, but because it was based off of the writings of "Frank Baum," the author of "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz." That being said, you can't compare it to the original movie. I am a great fan of "The Wizard of Oz," but this is an entirely different series. That being said, however, doesn't mean that its not good... well, okay, its not good––it's great!

The movie starts a little slow, but as things pick up, you get to know the main character "Oswald (shortened to Oz), who is a stage magician with unsavory ethics. He knows deep down that he isn't the "great" man that he wants to be, but, after a chase from one of the circus's performers's girlfriend that Oz was courting, he climbs onto an air-balloon. This plan to escape danger ultimately ends in failure when he is swept into a massive tornado and swept into the "Wonderful Land of Oz."

After he arrives, he is told by Theodora the "Good Witch" that he must be the great wizard from a prophecy mentioned by the former king. He is to be the king if he should slay the "wicked witch," which after he sees all the gold in the "Emerald City" decides he can do. This is where the plot begins to unfold.

The story moves along very nicely, never once slowing down, with stunning 3D visuals along the way that rival even "Avatar." You get to meet some very well acted characters such as all three witches, but also a flying monkey named Finly, and a "China Doll," which do add some humor to the movie. There are several plot twists that occur, some love triangles, and overall, it results in a well told story that will leave the movie goer feeling satisfied. There definitely be a sequel to this movie, and I for one will definitely enjoy it, so long as we get to see all the characters in the next one. A must see for anyone who loves beautiful lands that will make you feel as though you have left your seat in the theater, transporting you to another land. And in this case, that would most definitely be "The Wonderful Land of Oz."
19 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Mindy Project (2012– )
A Funny Show
1 March 2013
This is a really funny show. It's about an offbeat character that is "rough around the edges" in a way that reminds me of "The New Adventures of Old Christine," which is also hilarious. While the dialog is great, somethings in the different story lines are somewhat far-fetched, however, might I remind you that most things that you seen on TV these days are. I don't know why, but for some odd reason, I find the banter to be absolutely comedic, the best part of the show. Some people will say that the story lines are "overused, cliché," which is true, but I have to give it to them that those overused story lines are being used in the most original way imaginable. This is a hilarious show, one of my favorite comedy shows, and I definitely will be watching for more Dr. Lahiri in the future.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Great Adaption of The Hobbit
24 January 2013
I liked "The Hobbit" it was a great children's novel that served its purpose, and it was wildly effective at getting its points across. Many reviewers are claiming that this movie is too lighthearted and childish to be in the same level as "LOTR" ("Lord of the Rings"), but I disagree. What people are doing when they see this movie is comparing it to "TFOTR" ("The Fellowship of the Ring") and by doing so, they are omitting everything that the original novel offered in simplicity and childishness.

"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" is very light-hearted, somewhat childish, but by doing so, it stays true to its roots. The original story is a children's story, written for J.R.R. Tolkien's son, Christopher. That means, by default, that it is going to be a less dark, and happier. That means the story's main appeal is to be towards children. By adding jokes, and humor it makes it more childish, so that a child could comprehend--which is something that "LOTR" cannot say. Though this movie is long, it is by far a much simpler story that a young person could relate to, but even more so, it is a story that adults can relate to as well. Before people say that the movie was ruined by its childish jokes, just remember that the source material is just as childish.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Life of Pi (2012)
So Much That I Expected... But There Was Even More That I Didn't Get
24 January 2013
I wanted to see this movie; many people enjoyed it, said it was very well done, but I just did not see it. When I walked out of the theater, I struggled to see the point of the film. It was not about the friendship between a boy and a tiger, and it was not a survival story either. It was actually a film about religion, but I just could not bare to stomach the fact that a person would choose to follow three religions at the same time, and even more so, I could not see someone believing each three religions while such a young age.

The special effects are often overdone, and too perfect. Someone said that you can hardly notice that the tiger is CG (computer generated) but I could. It was just too perfect in the way that it walked, its movements too different than the real thing, but I must admit that it was very close. I thought that the special effects were amazing, but overall, I think that they could have had a better story to tell with less special effects–-it would have made a more believable story, and would have made it easier to take in. The story overall, is lackluster. Not very well thought out, and there is hardly a point to it.

The film is long, and I could not help but as myself how much more there was. By the end, I was entirely burnt out, and ready to go home. The story's climax is a huge let down, and it will leave you disappointed. Overall, I think that this is a film that people will go to see only if they wish to kill time. It's not a journey, its not really even that great of an adventure, and it will leave you wishing that there had been more. I am not exactly sure what more there could be, but it did feel as though there was indeed something more that it needed in order to get an emotional response from the audience. I feel as though this movie could have been better if there had been more emotions conveyed through the film that would have given you a better emotional response, a more realistic one, but there was nothing. I felt no sadness. No happiness. Just disappointment.

This is a movie that needed to be something more than just an adventure, something more about self-explortaion about religion. It needed to be a drama, but ultimately, it wasn't sad enough, or suspenseful enough. If you want great visuals, and a somewhat generic storyline, then I think you would enjoy it. But if your like me and want more than just great visuals and an actual story that will make your heart break with emotion, then don't expect to get it from this movie.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Possession (I) (2012)
A Great, Well Thought Out Movie
2 January 2013
Some people who also wrote reviews mentioned that they thought that there were many plot holes, and in general this movie was not "scary." There are more than just one type of scary. While some aspects of the film are flawed (the plot was predictable, as are all possession movies are) for the most part, it was, while not a great "horror movie" a good suspense movie.

The movie opens extremely fast, but after that, slows down to an almost complete stop. However, the intensity of the film builds from there as the story progresses, and you start to feel the suspense. Now while this movie is not particularly scary, there are several aspects in it that particularly me out. For one, the transformation that the daughter goes through is horrific. You start to see her go from an innocent little girl, to something that isn't even remotely human, something that has no emotion or care.

Secondly, you see the family being torn apart as the malicious spirit delves deeper and deeper into the little girl, taking control of her, hurting her. You can see the little girl lost as the demon ravages her body like a plague, like she's looking through a window, lost to the world.

In addition to this, the story is pretty well thought out. One of the above reviewers said that, though the moths have several appearances in the film, they do not have a substantial role in the film, that they were put there just because, "The director likes moths." If they would have taken the time to pay attention to the film, they would have realized that the reason that the moths are there is because one of the people who had formerly been possessed by the spirit had put a moth in the box in order to bind the spirit. A little research and you would find that if a creature, living or dead, is put in a box like the one in the movie, then the spirit can take that form, or manipulate creatures of its like. Another example of this is the tooth. She was able to cause the mother's boyfriend's teeth to fall out purely because other teeth had been placed in the box, giving her, the demon, the ability to manipulate them.

There are also several moments in the film that are scary purely because the imagery is so detailed and believable. An example of this would be the scene where Em is getting the MRI. The lights flicker, the screens flash images, and then suddenly a face forms. A face that you can clearly see is moving, though the pictures had already been taken. Really creepy. Not scary, but creepy.

The ending was slightly unexpected, maybe a little unbelievable, but it added to the overall feeling of the film: gloom, depression, desperation, unfairness. Despite what other people said, I think that this film was great. They should see it not for a film of the horror genre, but of suspense. And while the movie is not scary, it certainly is creepy.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this