thinker1691

Page 1 of 110:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

" I left a part of me in that war, but which was it? My soul or my memory ", 27 August 2014

Among all the great movies which Gregory Peck acted in, this one touched me deeply. Capt. Josiah J. Newman, MD. Peck portrays a psychiatrist, dealing with combat veterans traumatized by horrific incidents during the war or P.T.S.D. Among the worst case is Col. Norval Algate Bliss (Eddie Albert) who assumes complete responsibility for the men he ordered to their death and the loss of his entire command. Always short of qualified staff, Newman recruits people from wherever venue he can and none more qualified for the mental ward than Cpl. Jackson 'Jake' Leibowitz (Tony Curtis). (One of his best) Other cast members include James Gregory, Robert Duvall (Superior role) Dick Sargent (Before his role in Bewitched.) Larry Storch and Vito Scotti as a P.O.W. The film explores the many aspects of todays Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. Although listed as a comedy, the movie does little to spark laughter. Instead it is filled with lighthearted humor and serious venues dealing with veterans who need mental help. A find movie and one which Peck himself listed as one of his favorites. Easily Recommended. ****

Across the land and further south, we've established a new confederate country ", 26 August 2014

Gordon Douglas took this Clair Huffaker novel and directed the Great Jim Brown in his first Hollywood movie. The story concerns two officers from the America Civil War, Richard Boone and Stuart Whitman and pits them against one another south of the border. A wagon load of repeating rifles is high-jacked and smuggled across the border to Mexico. There the shipment is traded to marauding Apache Indians, who threaten to ignite a war with the U.S. Anthony Franciosa, Jim Brown,Vito Scotti and Edmond O'Brien head an all star cast. The script however is poor and the story line as wells at the action leaves much to be desired. Still, Boone and Whitman do their level best to make for an exciting drama, Anthony Franciosa shines as Rodriguez. However, it's up to Edmond O'Brien to carry the burden of the film as a demented Southern General. Recommended to audience who enjoy his films. I do. ****

" War is an argument that got out of hand ", 25 August 2014

There is little doubt, Herman Wouk's comprehensive novel " War and Remembrance " will become a True Classic and it follows too, the film version directed by Dan Curtis will too. Upon viewing the 12 part Mini-Series staring Robert Mitchum, I was most impressed. The acting, the dialog and the international cast was superb. The mesmerizing story concerning two families is told in segments and when traced across continents reminds one of a great novel; once begun, hard to put down. A serious assemblage of fine actors have gathered to create a remarkable movie. They include Robert Mitchum as Capt. Victor 'Pug' Henry, Hart Bochner as Byron Henry, Sami Frey, William Schallert, Jeremy Kemp, Steven Berkoff as Adolf Hitler, Robert Hardy, Topol and Ralph Bellamy, as President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, along with Jane Seymour, Victoria Tennant and Polly Bergen. Together this fine cast creates a touching and heartfelt series not to be missed and which also lays the foundation to be easily recommended for anyone interested in seeing living history in the making and that includes the Jewish Holocaust, which I highly recommended as a great tribute to great theater and should be kept and shelved as a Classic. ****

Sebastian (1968)
" The secret to breaking codes is to remember that mathematics is the key ", 23 August 2014

During the war most of the men who served in the War department were soldiers off in some country trying to kill one another. Thus women with nothing more to do than answer telephones and take messages, were recruited to play with words and numbers. Thus the thrust of this film called " Sebastian " who is gifted with a remarkable ability of breaking intricate secret codes. Dirk Bogarde is Sebastian who assembles a bevy of women to work for the Civil Service breaking secret codes. He is serious about his work and is diligent in remaining single minded towards his job. However in selecting an all female staff, he inadvertently selects one who is attracted to him and this leads to complications. Secrets are the mainstay of his work and that leaves little time for romance. However his latest acquisition (Susannah York) soon causes much disturbance in his private life and that allows a criminal element (Ronald Fraser) to use it against him. Donald Sutherland plays the America, Ackerman who invites Sebastian to help him break a very unusual and complicated Russian spy code, The movie is interesting and primarily a romantic chick flick, but It is also interesting to see an international film star like Sutherland playing such a bit part in his early career. Still, I would recommend it because of the two serious actors combine to make his movie a Classic in the 1960's. ****

" The only island that can house a man properly is the grave we make of our world ", 22 August 2014

William Defoe's original novel has been done several times, but I've found this version to be the most true to his book. Dan O'Herlihy stars as the famed survivor of a the English shipwreck who spends years stranded on the Caribbean island making his home in isolation, Through his ordeal Crusoe makes do with what little he has. His efforts are what today's survivors programs are all about. However, in todays world audiences are fully aware of lack of authenticity. The movie is a superior version of the Defoe's novel come to life and the acting is superior and this includes Jaime Fernández who takes on the role of Friday his friend and companion. Easily recommended for all audiences as a true Classic. ****

" I know who I am, but it feels like I'm some one else ", 22 August 2014

This movie has a great many innovations but it seems like there is way too much of a good thing when it comes to romance. So much so that one could easily decry that this is a Chick movie and destroys the Guy elements in it's efforts. Sure there is much excitement, action and story line, but it gets buried in too many branches of the Spiderman myth. Andrew Garfield returns as Spider-Man / Peter Parker and Emma Stone is Gwen Stacy his girlfriend. Theirs is a cursed relationship but they do try and hold it together with a lot of web action sequences. In addition, a new villain, Jamie Foxx appears as Electro who I think was a waste of great talent as the director cloaked him behind way too much makeup which we lose during his transformation. However were it not for the dark settings, audiences could keep track of it all. The best part of this movie is the reappearance of Stan Lee, the creator of the Marvel characters. Sally Field also returns as Aunt May Peter Parker's remaining relative. The most interesting part of this movie waits till it's conclusion and then it awakens audiences with a new villain called Rhino for a the movie itself is concern, it remains a let down and I hope the next will be more cohesive. ****

" Our lives will have to buy us time until the Calvary arrives ", 22 August 2014

This story was originally written by Kenneth Gamet and interestingly directed by Andre De Toth. Indeed, this film which nearly duplicates the previous film called 'Sahara' which starred Humphery Bogart, now uses actor Broderick Crawford as Sgt. Matt Trainor for it's lead character, but entitled " Last of the Comanches." The story relates the tale of a small group of survivors who join together against a huge band of renegade Indians in a desert setting fighting for their lives. Out numbered, out-gunned and short of water decide to challenge a band of Commanche in a remote and abandoned watering hole. Discovering there is no water, they nevertheless convince the enemy, that there is plenty of water to be had if the Indians will surrender their guns in exchange for badly needed water, Although, the acting in the Bogart version is much more superior, this remake nevertheless has it's moments. The additional casts includes Lloyd Bridges, Mickey Shaughnessy and Martin Milner makes for a good remake. There is sufficient action to warrant lasting interest and also enough excitement and serious dialog to hold audiences to it's conclusion. All in all, a good remake of an established Classic. Yes I would recommend it for viewing as a mirror classic of a previous era. ****

If.... (1968)
" If the sword is all you're prepared to give us, then be prepared to carry it with you, 25 May 2014

Noted director Lindsay Anderson took a short script called 'The Crusaders' and brought it to the silver screen as " If, . . . ." which has since become a monumental giant from the 1960's. Revolutionary in it's day, it has since morphed into a Avant Garde, stand-alone film which has since earned it's place among the fore-runners of our modern movies. So to has it premiere English movie star Malcolm McDowell who has established himself as a true Thespian. The movie is set in a Traditional military school with it's deeply rooted equally traditional standards which center on rules, adherence to discipline and harsh punishments. However, in among the returning students are several 'misfits' who will not accept the standard rules and regulations and decide to rebel. Everything the 'Whips' or upper classmates demand, such as short hair, obedience to orders, and strict adherence to morality, is fodder for the rebels. Thus the school is ripe for rebellion and the rebels do everything to disrupt the school year. The movie is in short order a setting between the old guard and the new order. The color film is filled with innovations such as splits to Black and white which add to the odd assortments of images which create a new way to viewing a story. New additions to the screen include Sean Bury as 'Jute', David Wood, Richard Warwick and Rupert Webster. All in all, this is a groundbreaking film and has stood the test of time. Thus; in it's own way it has become a Classic. Recommended to anyone who wants to view something completely different. ****

" You can never trust a woman, any more than you can trust a Revolver ", 21 May 2014

Jimmy Cagney and his real life brother bankrolled this movie believing it to be a winner. With Horace McCoy as the writer and Gordon Douglas as the director, this film could go nowhere but up. The movie begins with a Cagney special, a shoot-em-up a Prison break. His name when the movie begins is Ralph Cotter (James Cagney) an escape murderer who with his friend's sister (Barbara Payton) make their get-a-way and immediately land right back into trouble. With a score of quick hold-ups they begin with minor success, when they run smack in to two Dirty cops (Ward Bond) and Lt. John Reece (Barton MacLane) who shake them down for a percentage of their loot. With the cops in tow, they join a scheming lawyer who in turn introduces Cotter to high society and a rich man's daughter. In between hold-ups. love-scenes, mayhem and extortions Cotter gets to dreaming of making it big. Were it not for his ambivalence towards good advice, he stands to lose everything. The movie is in Black and White and displays Cagney at his troublesome best. Fine cast members help to shore-up the movie. Members like William Frawley, Kenneth Tobey, Neville Brand and and Steve Brodie as Joe 'Jinx' Raynon. The movie is easy to follow, though a bit melodramatic, but it has a final scene where Cagney does what he does best, , , ,entertain. ****

" There are few people like yourself who are willing to help the poor ", 20 May 2014

From the great and fantastic tales told in ancient Persia by the story teller Sharhahrazad, this is one of the more popular. It's called " The Thief of Bagdad." Arthur Lubin directs this movie with all the color schemes of M.G.M. and that goes with selecting a bevy of gorgeous woman to dot the landscape. For our hero, MGM chose Steve Reeves the herculean bodybuilder of the 1960s' His acting is good, but does need seasoning. In this case we see that Edy Vessel is Kadeejah, the magical Geni who guides our hero to his true love in a great quest to find a Blue Rose. There is much entertainment in the movie, enough to enthrall a theater full of amazed teens and pre-teens. Alright there is much to want in this film, but for those of us who grew up with wide eye wonder, this movie has become a Classic. Enjoy it while you still have wonder in your heart. ****

Page 1 of 110:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]