mrbaseball_cpr

Fantastic, 11 December 2006

Bridges does some fair work, Ruehl is excellent, and Plummer perhaps stands out above both of them, but Robin Williams is brilliant in what I feel to be one of his most heartfelt and passionate performances. The pain and torment felt by his character is overwhelming and inescapable. Bridges plays the role of jaded burnout who manages to find his humanity through it all; he seems to be able to pull it off better than most. Gilliam's influence is all over the film, especially in his frank and honest portrayal of the human condition and his off-balance, skewed camera work. Just a strong piece of work, overall. What more can I say that hasn't been said a million times?

Quiz Show (1994)
Quiz Show a remarkable film!, 4 August 2004

I felt like it was very well done, great camera angles, some fairly creative shots that spoke for the characters when they themselves were silent...just a well done, quality film, that never drys out or leaves you in a lurch. John Turturro is outstanding as a neurotic, slightly obsessed and racially-sensitive Stempel, Rob Morrow carries the role of Goodwin as if he were the man himself, and Ralph Fiennes as Charles Van Doren was a better choice than anyone else I could imagine, also as if the role fit his personality so closely as to blur the line between actor and role. Hank Azaria had a relatively small part, but is always a good fit regardless of the subject matter, a phenomenal character actor who has finally made quite a name for himself; quite overdue, I feel. Paul Scofield handles his role as Charles' father without so much as the slightest effort, it comes so easily. David Paymer is a man who seems to receive so few accolades one might hardly notice him, but he also is tremendously talented (see Mr. Saturday Night for a strong example of Paymer's abilities as supporting actor opposite Billy Crystal and Julie Warner).

All in all, a wonderful film on a subject in which one might not normally find interest, but very well done and an outstanding yet understated collection of actors and actresses make this one:

4 out of 5 stars

Well worth seeing! I would highly recommend it!

Quiz Show (1994)
Quiz Show a remarkable film!, 4 August 2004

4 out of 5 stars

Well worth seeing! I would highly recommend it!