rdambroso

2012 (2009/I)
Great Special Effects, Giant Holes in plot and script!, 16 November 2009

The special effects were the saving grace of this movie period. I really don't know how to put a finger on it. There was just something that kept the movie from coming together and gelling into something greater than the sum of it's parts. When I saw that Danny (Hugo Chavez Loving) Glover was in the oval office, it was a big turnoff for me, but maybe a little bit of an ironic casting choice when you think about it. It also irked me somewhat that China plays a major roll in the attempted salvation of mankind. That was another odd choice if you think about their record on human rights. Also, the science, or lack thereof behind the cataclysm was pretty thin, and I had trouble suspending my disbelief. There are probably a bunch of other things I could slap this movie around on, but I must say that the special effects were AWESOME! I had a little trouble getting emotionally attached to the characters like I did in Armageddon or Independence day. It's too bad because 6 of the 7 I'm giving this are for the special effects. The remaining 1 0f 7 is the sum of all the other things I liked about the movie.

District 9 (2009)
Good but disappointing, 17 August 2009

I had read many of the critics reviews prior to seeing this. My expectations were set very high based on that. I was expecting a blade runner, the thing, pick a sci-fi classic, and it was supposed to rank with those. Unfortunately, this didn't quite make it in my mind. It was a good movie. The lead actor did a very good job. The CGI and special effects were excellent, and the story line was overall good. But for some reason, the one thing that the movie failed to do was to get me emotionally involved. I don't know why. It could have been the format of the film which had a lot of news clip type coverage. Heck, Starship Troopers had that but it was very good in a quirky way. I'm just having a hard time putting my finger on it. I also had trouble suspending disbelief at times and thought that parts of the movie were too implausible to buy into. I know a lot of people have raved about it. This may just be a case of some people not liking vanilla ice cream. I wouldn't discourage someone from seeing it. I just think it was a bit of a letdown.

Brilliantly stupid, 23 March 2009

I like really smart, or brilliantly stoopid. I think brilliantly stupid is harder to pull of and they did it! The potty humor, snow ball fight, mini bike, etc, etc, etc were just awesome! I almost needed to wear a diaper I laughed so hard while watching this.

Although I don't like all Jim Carry movies, I think he is enormously talented, and Jeff Daniels was the perfect match for him in this inept comedy! I watched Dumb and Dummerer for about 5 minutes and couldn't continue. It was too painful, and I felt really bad for the actors who tried to fill the shoes of Jim and Jeff in the first installment. There are no two that could have pulled it off. Just as Jacky Mason or anyone could ever replace Rodney in Caddyshack.

Great acting, plodding and pedantic movie, 10 February 2009

As usual, I thought Daniel Day Lewis was intense and on top of his game. Unfortunately, I think the movie itself was just OK. I guess it was a shoe in with the academy because it portrayed an evil greedy oil baron and a false preacher who both more or less renounce the existence of God. Sort of parable where Dick Cheney meets some fallen televangelist. Hollywood loves stuff which portrays all corporate titans as greedy, heartless monsters, and all 'people of faith' as phony swindlers in a world without God. On a brighter note, it was very well acted and was a fairly well crafted movie. To this day, I believe Daniel Day Lewis is a superb actor. Without his intensity and talent, it would have been a much lesser movie. It's a good movie and worth seeing, and well acted. I just think the storyline and plot came up a bit short and it is a bit overrated.

Not Very Bad, But not Great either, 6 August 2008

I liked many aspects of the movie..Anita Briem was very likable and I have always liked Brendan Frasier. I thought the special effects were very good, and a lot of the 3D effects were a lot of fun. More than once, I wanted to reach out in front of me and grab something coming off the screen. The bad part, was that the plot was just plain silly. It tried to stay glued together like National Treasure, which was also far fetched, but it never really quite made it. While I realize this was an action/adventure movie, some of the sequences were just too outlandish to garner any believability. The original made in the late 50's had a greater impact on me than this one did. But to balance out this critique, it was an enjoyable movie and I don't regret seeing it in 3D. I just think that with a little more effort, it could have gone from a lightweight yet entertaining movie, to a really strong blockbuster.

Hit waaass Goooood. Ah Lacked it A Lottttt, 15 July 2008

OK. I passed this movie up 100 times at Hollywood Video because it looked mind numbingly dumb. A friend of mine said it was actually pretty funny so we gave it a try. I really liked it! The soundtrack was awesome! and the cinematography was very good, and I really liked the acting. All of the characters were played to a T in my mind. As for the commentator that said this was a Christian feel good movie..whatever dude... I really got drawn in by this. The guy that played Escueleto was hysterical! And of course sister Encarnacion would make most guys have uncomfortable feelings towards a nun. I liked Jack Black in it. He's usually not my cup of tea, but did a really good job in this. When he was doing his stretching exercises in the park with the Sister there..it was hilarious. The whole training thing with launched melons and beehives was surreal!. I bought in to the whole movie in that it was about a subject I had no interest in (luchadores) and an Actor that I'm lukewarm about (Jack Black) and it all came together for me into a wonderful entertainment experience. Good job all!

Sleek and Seductive!, 23 May 2008

I'm not a big fan of remakes in general. This movie was a very stylish and seductive remake of the original. I think this is possibly, my favorite pierce brosnan movie. Rene Russo did a superb job of being strong, sexy and vulnerable at the same time. It was an interesting blend of being sort of a guy flick, but sort of a gal flick at the same time. Without giving any spoilers, I would best describe this movie as one big long seduction. Normally, a plot like that could get tedious, but this was very well done and engaging throughout. This is also not the typical type of movie that I like, but it was so well done, and intellectually stimulating, that I really enjoyed it.

My wife and I REALLY liked it!!, 5 May 2008

This is one of those films that got hammered by the critics, and some people that have seen it just flat out didn't like it. For my wife and I, it was a very different story. We both believed Waterworld was OK to good (even though the critics lambasted it as one of the worst movies ever made) and we thought that this movie was very good! I'm just wondering if KC did something to peeve off the critics and academy because this was certainly a much better film than any of them would acknowledge. It's probably OK that critics didn't like it though because lately it seems that critics fawn and gush over ultra-liberal crap that makes me want to projectile vomit into their collective fanny packs. If a movie isn't some over the top far-left fantasy, they generally will either pan it, or blowtorch it into ashes immediately upon release as they did with this one. This movie was apolitical. While it takes place in post-apocalyptic America, it had much more to do with being a study in fundamental human nature than trying to make a statement based on current events. We thought the camera work, scenery, acting and overall production quality was very high. Some might think it was a little too over the top Kevin Costner on Kevin Costner, but I think his performance in this movie was rather sublime. It really confuses me how a relatively thoughtful and well crafted movie like this one can get instantly relegated to the trash heap, but idiotic pablum like 'My unwed teen sister is knocked up' gets 10 thumbs up.

Anyway..judge for yourself. We watched it several times over the years because it was good.

Brigadoon (1954)
A GREAT Movie!!, 9 April 2008

I haven't seen this for many years, but it is one of the treasured memories of my youth. I found it to be magical in the same way the the Wizard of Oz was magic. Sure, the sets etc, can't match the over CGI'd mega budget monstrosities they make today, but it was still capable of transporting me to that mysterious town and make me feel as if I was really there. Anybody that would rip apart the set for this movie should be ashamed. This was made half a century ago where raw talent and imagination were what made a movie. Not some over bloated, digitized, mind numbingly stupid movie typical of what Hollywood produces today. I challenge you to show me an actor today that could sing, dance, and act to the level Gene Kelly could. Most actors today just cuss a lot get busted for drugs. Kelly was nothing short of a timeless master of his craft.

If this movie didn't make you feel something..you need professional help!, 30 January 2008

I really didn't have any expectations one way or another about this movie. All the critics raved..the marketing machine hyped it, etc..so I really wasn't expecting much. We put it on at home and the movie captured me very early on, and didn't let me go until the very end. It was a simple movie really, one about a father's unwaivering love for his son, and absolute refusal to give up. It was also all about not blaming others for your misfortune, but doing something about it and improving your own life through your own efforts for the sake of your family and yourself. This was by far my favorite performance from Will Smith. It was a radical departure from his usual smart-alec tough guy role, and was very deep and human. Being a father of 4, and having struggled at many points in my life, I found it deeply touching and could relate to it on an extraordinary number of levels. Well done Mr. Smith. Truly a wonderful movie.