glfrench

Talk to Me (2007)
Enjoyed it immensely, 2 August 2007

As a resident of Washington, from 1962 to 1975, I got to know Petey Greene's Washington very well. Any African American who lived in DC during the sixties, seventies and eighties should find something to like in this flick for sure. Movie was both informative and entertaining - which are the best kind to me. The picture's primary characters are Petey and Dewey Hughes, two totally different brothers. How their relationships grows and evolves is a wonderful thing to experience and is the essence of the movie in my opinion. Expect to have some good laughs and a intimate look into a very chaotic period of American History. Movie caused me to remember feelings that had long passed into the mental archives. For those of you old enough to recall, the sixties and seventies where a very special time in this country. Movie gives a good look at the different perspectives of the period.

Oh, and Don Cheadle is becoming a class unto himself.

Ray (2004/I)
Awesome portrayal of a national treasure, 25 December 2004

Having grown up with the Ray Charles sound, remembering when all the records came out except the first (The Mess Around), this movie really was a treat for me. I admit to having been and remaining a Ray Charles super fan, buying his records and seeing him in concert maybe 3 or 4 times. He truly was a genius. This movie filled in the gaps of the people I knew to be around Ray: Margie Hendricks of the Raelettes, David "Fathead" Newman, his lead sax player, and Joe Adams, his emcee.

But Jamie Foxx steals the show. He became Ray Charles. If you are a fan of the man, no way you should miss this. If you just enjoyed his music and are curious about finding out more about him, this is the best way to do it. I am going to see it one more time before its pulled. I got a feeling that Foxx might win the Oscar because of his portrayal and also to honor the man that America came to love.