britbard

Period errors, 3 November 2012

I am surprised at the depiction of London's East End which ,to me, in 'Call the Midwife', comes across as something from the pre WWll years/1930s. I am a born and bred Londoner who studied medicine in the 50s and I clearly remember Cow and Gate being the protein powder of choice for baby milk. It was considered more nutritious and was often handed out by government agencies to women who could otherwise not afford it. Bottles with teats were also available, certainly not of the quality of today, but could be obtained. Pasteurization only came about in 1946 in the UK so there were many women , men and children who, in their early years contracted a bovine form of TB and which manifested itself rather poorly in the poorer populations of any city. The East End of London has always been an area of constant transition, and an entry point for many an immigrant, None of this came across in this BBC series. There is a lot of dramatic 'meat ' here and I hope one day, somebody will illustrate any condition of that time and place a little more thoroughly.