Allendorf

Lucky Blue (2007)
Not usually impressed with short story - but this one proves me wrong., 8 November 2007

For me, this film is a masterpiece -- albeit its short length.

It all began when Kevin happen to travel with his aunt and met with Olle in a holiday trailer park. Considering its short length of the film - I would feel remorse of disclosing any plot after this :).

What being the most powerful way the director managed this film is that - instead of using complex plot, tragedies, and multiple characters that many full length movies use- the director has eliminated all these noises and focused into the 'passion' and 'affection' component of the film and let those carries the story until its very end which makes this movie very powerful.

I had never been impressed with 'coming out' short story because most of them ends in either separation, deaths, tragedy or just filled with other ambiguities that leaves the audience lingering unsatisfied. But Lucky Blue proves me wrong.

The simplicity and the short length of the film, for me, certainly has accomplished its true purpose that is not only to entertain but also to inspire and gives hope to people affected by such sensitive issue.

O Fantasma (2000)
Not for everyone to see, 15 June 2007

The film contains no real plot and no real human. No interactions, characters, and story are being developed. All scenes are rather devoted to show how human are acting like gross animal.

I simply don't understand if people are saying that this is an intelligent movie or a movie with a deep message. Of course, anyone can interpret anything (Even garbage) as gold or diamond. But this film is beyond the worst film I have ever seen in my entire life. Simply waste of your time, and spare yourself from being disgusted.

I would rate the film 3/10 simply because the directors put in some effort to convince a rather talented actor doing that kind of acting job.

I did not laugh the entire film., 28 May 2007

First and foremost - I would stand to death (of course this is a exaggeration) to argue with whoever people out there that say Borat is funny. It is not.

Simply put - Borat is just a collection of amateur videos filled with some "Just for laugh" video shot in various location that has an appalling sense of humour. All the jokes are typical racist, stereotypes and other insults of which most rational people found it to be offensive rather than funny.

Of course, the intention and the objective of Borat is to make people laugh. If this were to be a late night comedy show - I would have at least give 6/10 for its effort. However, as for a cinematic experience, I cant but to give Borat 1/10 for its lacking in plot, amateur shots, offensive jokes, and irritating Sacha Cohen

Saw III (2006)
Experience were not as memorable as SAW II, 27 October 2006

In my mind the title "SAW" itself used to suggest the most astounding horrorific cinematic experience you could imagine from a horror and gory movie. SAW II lived up this expectation, but SAW II has failed terribly.

Any real SAW fan would be somewhat disappointed by SAW III. The pace of the story itself has deteoriates; where in SAW II the story progressed really fast and many things happened with multitude characters - SAW III is rather slow, unconvincing and sometimes offer chessy and lacking of solid story line and suspense.

Some gory scenes and tortures may moved my butt to the edge of my seat - but other than that, the story itself and the movie did not move me at all.

Pulse (2006/I)
Simply annoying, 17 August 2006

This is yet another movie where I simply regret of going. Another product of failing Hollywood that horribly mix computer with ghost (similar to White noise, Stay alive, etc). The idea is perhaps not as original but still appreciable if the movie could be done with some real and articulate more detail on the plot - but unfortunately, it isn't.

To some extent what makes this film watchable is its cinematography. Every angle of each scene is beautifully shot, and the CGI was absolutely astonishing. However this is not be accompanied by 'watchable plot'. There is too much focus on ghost and computer itself while not showing us the character development or uniqueness (the acting is bad by the way)- it ends up where everybody has gotten either dead or suddenly gone after some ghosts appear.

As I mention before, the plot does not make any slightest sense and for me is incredibly disappointing.

All in all, the great cinematography dominates the movie but with no real plot - it unfortunately can't save the movie.

Its simply annoying.

Population 436 (2006) (V)
The trick isn't working anymore !, 6 August 2006

I obtained Population 436's DVD from local store awhile ago after watching the trailer on IMDb. I felt attached to the storyline - and was wildly curious about how could possibly any town has constant population, something must went really wrong?.

Yes, everything seems to be wrong with this town although everything seems to be perfectly normal. A happy little small neighborhood with many buts. The census bureau agent is on his duty on only counting...but soon discovered there are odd pieces in the survey, then the adventure unfolds.

On summary, acting of the main players are Good - although the villager's and suspense seems to be exaggerated and overly done sometimes. There are a lot of mysteries in this village, but unfortunately they're poorly unfold and there is not enough twists in this movie. As a result of the unclarity of the causes and root of the problem - many suspenses (i.e the nightmare) are to be unfounded and quiet irritating.

The storyline sometimes unfold in 'bizarre' fashion. People seems to act really strangely in this movie with no apparent reason (i.e One suddenly attacked the other like crazy dog...and some people just tried to follow the others..etc). I think this is really amusing in someway, making me scratching off my head quiet a few times during the movie. If this is an attempt to lengthen the movie, then mission accomplished - but otherwise, I don't think it has reached any goal.

The suspense tricks deliberately doesn't work for me and makes this film rather a bizarre mystery drama...and can't be classified as a thriller or horror.

Stay Alive (2006)
Nothing special 'in staying alive', 5 August 2006

Honestly, I was a big fan on 'Stay Alive' trailer when it got released even some months before. I kept on telling my friend how this movie has a great story plot - and perhaps a good one. Anyway - this movie is somewhat below my expectations.

The plot has a great potential, but how the story unfolds, along with the acting , directing and bad CGI - this film is a disaster. The ghost doesn't make any sense, and including the killings - its all just too hurried, creating a sense of 'unrealistic' in the audience's mind.

This film could be scary for some audiences - but fear in a sense of shock (Due to the sound effect, etc) rather than enduring fear due to certain valid factors in the movie.

You should re-consider watching this movie.

Very slow moving film, 2 August 2006

In many respects, I could tell that this movies convey a rather deep meaning and not just ordinary teenage-gay-boy romance story which mostly end up in either bad or happy ending. This movie is alike to many of other French movies that I saw before which contains little or minimal dialogue. It conveys the message through showing "symbolic scenes".

However what troubles me the most is not such 'absence of dialogue' but rather the clarity and sense of direction in the film. The love that grow between Simon and Matthew is only evident somehow in the middle of the film but for the rest - it is clearly unclear of what Simon thinks or at least other characters should have played greater role to clarify the role of the main character. As a result of this unclarity - all scenes appear to be just randomly and awkwardly put in.

The movie is incredibly slow. There is no significant or notable progression that the audience should be rewarded after watching the film for around 2 hours.

Aside from the talented and good looking actor Gaspard Ulliel (who played Simon), there is no other aspects of either in the story or plot that makes me eager to recommend this film to the general audiences.

5 out of 10

Mediocre, 1 June 2006

This movie has a lot of potential in terms of the story line. It's very convincing, realistic indeed and does portray some aspects that we sometimes want to see in the modern struggle of a young boy that tries to make his way to be a race car driver. Las Vegas off course, couldn't be any better place to place one's life as a stake. His encounter with Eric and how everything unfolds are great tale to follow.

However, as a disappointment, this movie doesn't seem to be as promising as I was hoping before. There's a slight problem in the directing and that there are many redundant scenes that get our attention beyond focus. The love story is not realistically depicted. As it seems, the Johnny straight boy suddenly turned up to be gay and fall in love with Eric for no apparent reason. Even more, the movies too much provide audience evidences that Johnny is straight and all off sudden we are shocked that he could be gay after all (Which is deliberately unrealistic since he met Eric just in the night alone and they had done nothing). The reason that Eric cared for him and be his best friend also are not strong enough to turn him into gay.

Its hardly believable although at times entertaining with some sense of humor. Great story line though.

Touching and heartbreaking, 24 May 2006

This movie is one of only handful of movies that I would label as 'flawless'. Not only flawless, this movie has far exceeding my expectation and becoming extremely memorable for me.

The movie is relatively simple - and there is nothing extravagant about the characters and the story, yet- that what makes us able to see ourselves as if we're in the film. It reveals a story of two young ordinary English boy trying to come out in a very conservative English period.

This movie tells us that there is no such thing as -gay love or straight love-. Love never discriminates and never judges, and that love could happen to anyone. Nobody could be blamed for falling in love.

This movie will always remain in my heart.

**PS: Bravo John Altman for the Peppermint foot lotion theme song !