themoviejunkie91

Mama (2013/I)
Mama delivers the terror while building a exceptional story for a horror film., 19 January 2013

"MAMA", a film executively produced by Del Toro follows the story of two little girls that are found in the wilderness for five years. They are then adopted by their Uncle Luke (Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau) and his girlfriend Annabel (Jessica Chastain)and right off the bat, strange things start happening. While trapped in the woods, Victoria (Megan Charpentier)and Lily (Isabelle Nelisse) formed a guardian to protect and care for them, who they call Mama.

This is an excellent movie. Be warned that it does remain dependant on jump scares to scare you, but they are what I like to call "true jump scares". Not a cat bursting out of a corner, or a shoe falling from the sky. "Mama" utilizes CGI by creating dark, disturbing images along with a tense orchestral sound track to scare your pants off. The acting was also superb, particularly Jessica Chastain and Megan Charpentier. Isabelle was solid also, but I had a feeling that before every take, she was told what to do, but Megan was old enough to understand the script and story. Something that really impressed me was how the story unfolded, and how beautifully the mother daughter relationship was portrayed. The cinematography was also one of the most beautiful jobs I've ever seen on a horror film. Camera work was steady and the dolly shots were smooth and suspenseful. Overall, Mama was a terrifying horror movie with a beautiful story and wonderful camera work. I hope this movie is recognized as a classic for years to come. This movie also proves that PG-13 horror movies can be scary after all. 9/10.