ChavRose06

Just watch it for Depp, 28 July 2006

Set in the year 1678, Johnny Depp plays the scandalous John Wilmot, the 2nd Earl of Rochester. The film is based on the Earl's escapades through London, of his affair with whore/actress Elizabeth Barry (Samantha Morton), to the writing of a vulgar sex-driven play which shamelessly parodies the individual who assigned him to write it, King Charles II (John Malkovich), leading to the Earl's exile and his eventual demise.

I saw this film one day after it premiered here in Australia. Sadly, it was only a limited release, fortunately for me, it was showing at my local cinema. I went in and had plenty of expectations for this supposedly controversial Johnny Depp film. Actually it was only me in the cinema, there were others, but they left during the film. I don't blame them, I guess you could say it was overrated. And as for my expectations, they were thrown out the window.

But seriously, it does have Oscar appeal, but I wouldn't watch it a second time, once was truly enough! If you want to see it just for Johnny Depp, then go straight ahead. But you've been warned, you've never seen him in a role like this!

Thank you for your attention.

Burton, you've still got it!, 24 November 2005

Tim Burton's 'The Corpse Bride' is about Victor Van Dort, a sweet man with a gentle nature, his parents arrange for him to be married to Victoria Everglot, a genuine soul like himself. Unfortunately her parents believe that the Van Dort family are beneath them and think their son is a poor choice for their daughter.

On the night of their wedding, Victor screws up his vows and is sent off to practice them alone, whilst he is doing so, Victor says them perfectly and pretends that a stick in the ground is Victoria's finger and places the wedding ring on it. Much to Victor's shock, the stick in the ground is a finger, a finger belonging to a female corpse wearing a wedding dress. Unaware of what he has done, he has married a corpse!

Very much lived up to my expectations. Done in the dark romantic tradition of Tim Burton's work, teaming up once again with the versatile Johnny Depp.

Madagascar (2005)
Just plain overrated...but hey, it was fun, 1 July 2005

I've just returned from the cinema after watching Madagascar and what can I say? It was good, but not great, don't get me wrong I love Dreamworks, they dish out pretty good cartoons, but this time, it lacked...I think the reason it sold out is because of its cartoony cast of Ben Stiller, David Schwimmer, Chris Rock and Jada Pinkett-Smith. Personally they should all be in a sitcom together.

Back to the flick Madagascar, what can i say? I enjoyed it, it was similar to what if the Lion King was raised in captivity and all the hilarious antics that went with it. It's your usual buddy animated comedy, it lacked the X-factor that all of Dreamworks pictures is worth. But still I felt like dancing after hearing King Julian sing a song I haven't heard since the nineties.

It's not Dreamworks' best animated feature, I guess their only real moneymaker is Shrek 1 + 2, which I believe is being milked for all its worth, what with Shrek 3 + 4 to be released in some years to come.

Word on the digital media scene is that Pixar also has a zoo animal animated comedy in production aptly titled 'The Wild'. Who knows maybe they'll do a better job?

What can I say? Tim Burton has imagination, 22 June 2005

"Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas" is about the holiday worlds, in particular Halloween town which kinda links to the word 'nightmare' in the movie's title. In Halloween town, it is run by Jack Skellington the pumpkin king, after celebrating their homeland's holiday Halloween, Jack begins to feel sad because every year is the same old thing, with that he goes walking through the forest and doesn't return home all night, during that time he came across unfamiliar territory which are the gateways to the other holiday worlds, Jack picks the door to Christmas town.

And the whole story takes off from there.

The whole movie is fun to watch, the songs are pretty catchy and the whole storyline was easy to understand. Tim Burton has imagination and I give him credit.

Thanks for your attention

It was great, 2 April 2005

I recently saw Hating Alison Ashley in the cinema and I was blown away by Delta Goodrem and Saskia Burmeister's performances. First of all I would like to say that is appalling no one supported this film, it was brutally honest, as an individual I can empathise with the character Erica Yurken, mainly because I understand her upbringing and her complex behaviour and then there's the character Alison Ashley who everyone thinks is all perfect and has everything, until you get to know her properly. The author Robin Klein has created many characters that people can relate to especially high school students. It was very well done for Australian standards, haven't seen a good Aussie flick like this since "Looking for Alibrandi" or "Strictly Ballroom".

As for the film, just proof that Australians have potential to tell a good story.

Hating Alison Ashley? Nah, she's alright.

I only watched it for Stuart Townsend, 8 March 2005

As the title says, if you're a big fan of one actor then just watch it for that actor, but the movie wasn't so bad as many reviewers have dogged it, I rented it out, watched it, had no expectations, just had a good time watching it with my one piece of eye-candy Stuart Townsend as the smothering Dorian Gray.

It's your typical action/adventure type of movie, that's all, if you just want to hang out with your mates on the weekend and rent out something, rent out League of Extraordinary Gentleman. You'll be impressed by special effects, that's all I can really say.

And girls if you love Stuart Townsend, this one is for you.

Hitch (2005/I)
Empathy for the common man, 5 March 2005

I recently went to cinema with my friend and saw this great romantic comedy and it made me realise that sometimes men do need help in the romance sector and what better man to get advice from, the date doctor himself Alex 'Hitch' Hitchens (Played by an always gentlemanly Will Smith). But there's always somebody trying to expose them for who they really are, the gossip columnist Sara Melas (played by sultry beauty Eva Mendes) I won't give away much, because it will spoil the good story. But I will tell you this, females will change their perspective on the male species after this film and be dancing around after because of a great film soundtrack.

And sometimes you just need to take chances.

Thank you.

Garfield (2004)
This movie was a joke, 1 February 2005

As the title says, this movie was a joke and an insult to one of my all time favourite cartoon cats. I had no intention of watching this film, but the only reason I watched it was because I was babysitting little kids and they wanted to see it.

What was wrong with it? First of all, the character Garfield cannot be created in 3D, that is plain wrong if any of you study computer animation like myself, I mean would you go insane modeling it and then wait eight hours a day for it to render out? I don't think so.

There was no point for the song 'Hey Mama' by Black Eyed Peas in the film mainly because that song is a rump shaker song, which has no place in the film, or least when Odie starts dancing.

Odie! Now there's a disappointment, we all remember that sweet yellow pup from the original series right?

What about Nermal? Isn't he/she supposed to be a cute kitten? And have a girly voice? And be Garfield's cousin? And isn't Arlene supposed to be Garfield's gal pal and admirer?

Sorry if I seem overly critical, I've been a fan for years.

Anyway, this film is only meant for little kids and not for anyone who has been a big fan for years like myself.

Big Fish (2003)
Well done Tim Burton, 29 December 2004

This movie I wanted to see because it seemed like a good film at the time, but it was a tragedy to see this film crash and burn, there wasn't anything wrong with it, the story was inspiring and trust me once you watch it you become part of it.

The story is about Edward Bloom (Albert Finney/Ewan MacGregor), a man who has been best known to stretch the truth. Now he is ill and his only son Will (Billy Crudup) comes to visit him in his last dying days, during that time Will begins to learn more about his father by hearing his tall tales of his life which included meeting his wife and many friends.

Basically the film is a series of flashbacks of Edward Bloom's life, which we the audience become a part of.

If you're a big fan of inspirational films, this one is for you.

All in all, I give it a 10/10

Cast and crew stand up and take a bow!, 28 December 2004

Now I have never seen this classic in the theatre before, I supposed to go see it when I was eleven years old, but now I'm twenty and when I heard about a film adaption of the Phantom of the Opera I was raring to see what was so special about it. And trust me I love Broadway.

Now since I am a singer you would expect me to be a little be a bit critical, but what I watched that night in the cinema I was blown away! That Emmy Rossum sung so beautifully as Christine and she's only nineteen, a year younger than me! Now I have heard that the theatre version was ten times better, now recently I was going through my parents' CD collection and I found the original cast recording of "Phantom of the Opera" on double CD and I listened to the two CDs and once again I was blown away, so in comparison, honestly I didn't have a problem with the two versions, both were equal in brilliance.

And thank God they didn't give the role of Christine to Anne Hathaway because I would of tried to prevent myself from laughing!

Gerard Butler? Wasn't he that guy who sucked us girls in for "Dracula 2000"? Yep it was, he played the Phantom, but I was shocked when I found out he could actually sing! (Or at least I believed he sang) No wonder Mr Schumacher wanted to meet him after "Dracula 2000". Good cast there and may I say Emmy Rossum is one lucky actress cause she got to kiss him in the film! If I ever met her in real life I would say to her "Good on ya! I would of loved to be in your shoes!"

Mr Schumacher did a good job bringing this famous musical to the silver screen and Sir Webber should be proud, what was it? The 7000th performance? That deserves a standing ovation. BTW, if you recall Schumacher's work with the Batman sequels, we even a get reference to Batman's mask in the film, if you look closely at the Phantom's mask.

What an amazing production, that's millions spent well...I'll give it a 10/10.

If it was up to me, I would have stood up in the cinema and applauded.

Thank you for your attention.