joel-182

Just When You Get Used to The Same Old Routine..., 9 July 2006

I am in awe.

I just finished this episode and I had to watch it a second time. It reminds me of the movie The Usual Suspects. You are in such shock that you have to watch it a second time to see it from the real perspective that you may have missed the first time around.

Sure, I caught what I had missed the first time and understood what I was supposed to see the 2nd time that I just didn't realize the first time. Truth is the first time the tears that flew from my eyes were out of shock, the 2nd time I was prepared and they flew just as much.

I have been watching the Scrubs DVDs in order so Season 3 brings us Episode 60, which is a landmark for Scrubs because for one of the few times the laughter turns to reality and it hurts, but it hurts in a way that makes you appreciate the show more than you did for the laughs before.

My cousin is a young doctor, and after watching Season 2 I called him and asked him what he thought of Scrubs as a series. He told me it was his favorite doctor show. Not because it is a comedy, but because it is more realistic than any serious doctor show he has ever seen. He told me ER has nothing on this show because it can be so realistic.

Episode 60 crossed the line and let us know this series can also make you think.

Penn & Teller Fans Will Enjoy, 2 July 2006

This made for television special may confuse those who are not familiar with Penn & Teller, but for those of us who have been following their magic acts for years will truly appreciate this special filmed in The Caribbean. This show features an hour and a half of underwater magic tricks.

My favorite was the beach pick-a-card trick where they have hidden all 52 cards on the beach so when someone picks a card they show them their card somewhere on the beach, say on the bottom of the waitresses drink tray or inside a flower pot. The lady who calls for the 8 of spades is misunderstood for the Ace of spades, which makes for a funny routine.