michaelsibley416

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Daylight (1996)
One of Sly's best performances, 17 September 2004

Fasten your seatbelts and brace yourself for an non-stop thrill ride that will have you holding your breath from start to finish.

"Daylight" is one of the most intense movies I have seen in a long time. Sylvester Stallone gives one of his best performances in "Daylight" leading a group of civilians to safety after a New York tunnel engulfs in flames. Stallone works his magic as a former EMS chief sent in to save these civilians.

When I heard Stallone's name mentioned as part of the cast of "Daylight," I knew it would be a non-stop thrill ride; however, what I didn't realize it would be a thriller that had depth mixed in with everything else. "Daylight" is a credit to Stallone's ability and this remains one of his best roles to date.

Adding to this awesome film are Stallone's co-stars, which include Amy Brenneman, Viggo Mortensen, Jay O. Sanders and Stan Shaw. I enjoyed watching this ensemble work together because they seem to need no direction when on screen. It was as if they were really trapped in the tunnel. From the fear to the heroic actions they took, these actors were top notch.

Despite most thrillers, "Daylight" stands out as being the finest assembled film. The casting works like magic, the special effects are magnificent and the script is perfect.

I concede that "Daylight" is predictable. However, I disagree with those who say it hurts the film. My point is it doesn't matter whether a film is predictable, rather how it is presented. "Daylight" is presented with quite unique special effects, a plot with depth and endearing performances.

In addition to the excellent performances, "Daylight" had some of the best special effects I have seen. The explosion at the beginning of the movie was a work of art. I was in awe of how well the special effects were pulled off because I don't believe that "Daylight" would have worked as well as it did if they were done with less than 100 percent effort.

"Daylight" will keep you on the edge of your seat and have you holding your breath hoping these citizens come out alive.

Cop Land (1997)
Sly is in unique form in a great film, 17 September 2004

"Cop Land" is a must see film that everyone must watch. Sylvester Stallone is in rare form as he delivers an outstanding performance as the local sheriff in "Copland."

"Cop Land" is the type of movie that would probably appeal only to certain people such as those who like a certain actor or enjoy thrillers.

I happen to be a member of both categories because I like all the actors and I enjoy thrillers. I noticed how similar this was to "Heat", which starred Al Pacino and Robert De Niro.

This is a slow paced movie that works. I do not think this movie could have worked if it went in a faster pace. Stallone did such a great job he proves that he is more than an action star.

Supporting Stallone in "Cop Land," are Ray Liotta, Robert Patrick, Harvey Keitel and Robert De Niro. Each one of these actors provide a unique spark that no other have and when put together in one movie will guarantee a really good film.

The Cell (2000)
Avoid getting caught in this cell, 17 September 2004

I hesitated in my decision to see this film because it had Jennifer Lopez. I never really liked her as an actress because she always seemed to try too hard.

Touted as the best film of the summer in 2000, "The Cell" is nothing more than special effects and visually stunning set designs gone wrong. There was nothing in this film that was appealing. With each setting, it seemed like the designers got better at creating the backdrop for where the story took place; however, the settings don't make the movie. Vince Vaughn, Vincent D'Onorfio join Lopez to do their best in making "The Cell" the best movie of the year.

The biggest reason for its failure was the complexity of the plot. I couldn't understand what the writer was trying to bring across from scene to scene. It seemed liked it dragged on longer than it had to. Besides the drawn out and complex plot, the ending to "The Cell" was so tedious it was laughable.

"The Cell" did serve one purpose: it can now be distributed to film schools for students who want to become directors as a lesson in film-making on what not to do.

Don't go near this ocean, 17 September 2004

"The Deep End Of The Ocean" was a movie that was supposed to bring tears from people's eyes but the director failed to do so and it sunk in the ocean after thirty minutes after it left port.

"The Deep End Of The Ocean" stars Treat Williams, Michelle Pfieffer, and Jonathan Jackson. The cast billing is better than the film itself; and that says a lot for the writers and director. I was disappointed in Michelle Pfieffer as it seemed her performance was sub-par and seemed to be at the level of a beginner.

"The Deep End Of The Ocean" was based around a kidnapping, no real mystery or suspense to speak of or no real tears came from my face. I mean if the director wants to make a movie surrounding this type of situation I would think that there should be more sentimental moments and cut out the arguments with the child that was kidnapped about what he should and should not do. The only thing that people should bring is a bag so they could put it over their heads to avoid watching it.

Treat Williams really is the only actor worth recognizing in this bad mess they call a movie; though, there are good parts in this movie. Williams, your typical villain, plays Pat Cappadora the husband and father who keeps the family together after Ben was kidnapped. When, the mother was near a breakdown it was the father who held everything together and eventually was the one who snapped his wife into reality again. My only other favorite scene occurred between the two brothers.

I wouldn't force this film on anyone, though it did have its moments.

Awesome and heart-warming, 17 September 2004

Albert Brooks definitely gives us his take on the afterlife. After watching movies such as "Chances Are" "Ghost" and "Heart and Souls" afterlife hasn't looked better. Brooks is a comedic genius but not only as an actor but a writer and director as well.

In addition, Brooks was joined in this film by Rip Torn and Meryl Streep, who are phenomenal talents of their own. Their additions to the movie makes it that much funnier and dramatically better.

Aside from "What Dreams May Come," "Defending Your Life" is the best afterlife film I've seen because it is different than all the others. Brooks is a relief since his comedy is genuinely funny.

This movie was a joy to watch because of the fun cast, unique plot and fun loving environment. Brooks, the writer, created the script with laughter in mind and enjoyment in his heart.

The setting of "Defending Your Life" was very creative because it seemed so unique yet so real and true to life on earth. I was very impressed by the set designers at what they came up with to use as sets.

Brooks created each scene with humor and wanted the film to be as original as possible. He succeeded because I enjoyed and laughed throughout the film and only original films do that for me.

"Defending Your Life" will go down movie history as one of the more original and funnier films dealing with the afterlife. This is a must see for everyone.

Tim Robbins fails, 17 September 2004

What was Tim Robbins thinking when he decided to direct "Cradle Will Rock" because it is a movie that was flawed from the beginning. In fact, it was so awful that it doesn't deserve to be reviewed. There is only one positive thing that came from watching this movie; telling other prospective viewers that "Cradle Will Rock" is a waste of time and money.

There were many things about "Cradle Will Rock" in this film that I found to be terrible. However, there were two that stood out as the worst parts of the film. The first was the pointless storyline the writers came up with. The second were the performances of every actor involved with the making of this movie. I can hope that viewers will stay away from "Cradle Will Rock."

a comedic success, 17 September 2004

Rob Schneider is not known for his acting but he proved that he can perform with the rest of them in "Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo." This might be his best film to date because he is what makes this film come alive along with the rest of his castmates.

I liked this movie so much that it hurt me every time I laughed. This was a film that should be used as a model for true laughter and comedy because the jokes were clean and funny at the same time. Schneider co-wrote this film that introduced a plot that was so funny, which had a sweet underlying plot that I found to be very enjoyable to watch.

My favorite scene in this whole movie involved the blind date with the woman who could not control her mouth. You will have to watch the movie to understand what I'm talking about.

The whole cast was incredible as they all turned in superb performances. It also seemed they were having fun with one another on the set and it showed in their performances, which is one thing I look for in a good film.

"Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo" cracked me up and should be watched by everyone.

Avoid at all costs, 17 September 2004

"The Cider House Rules" disappointed me greatly because after 30 minutes in the movie theater, I wanted to leave because it was told in such a one dimensional fashion.

I must have dozed off during the film and woke up at the end when the film was at the best point. There was more than plot going on in this film that really cost it from being a spectacular film. On one hand, we have Homer Wells the orphan who has not seen the world helping his fellow orphans as a doctor's assistant; on the other hand, we have Homer Wells who is viewing the world while having an affair with an engaged lady.

Tobey Maguire, Chalize Theron, Michael Caine ad Delroy Lindo couldn't have saved this film no matter how hard they tried. I blame the writer and the director for this failure to communicate to me what the point was and make it clear enough for me to understand the plot.

devilishly good, 17 September 2004

Sarah Michelle Gellar, Ryan Phillipe, and Reese Witherspoon star in this wonderful sick and twisted tale called "Cruel Intentions" about making everyone's life as miserable as possible.

In this film, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Ryan Phillipe star as Katherine and Sebastian who are brother and sister and they play games on people filled with cruelty and deceit. When Sebastian reads an article written by Annette Hargrove played by Reese Witherspoon, he proposes a bet that entices his step-sister. The bet is to get Annette to break her virginity with Sebastian; the terms are if Katherine wins she gets his prized car, and if Sebastian wins he gets a night in bed with his step-sister.

Can we say that we have sick and twisted terms to bet with? I think we can safely say that. I was wowed when I saw how Reese Witherspoon subtly played her character with innocence but still knows what is going on. As the movie progressed I was angry at the characters because of what they were doing to everyone; they didn't care who they were hurting. This is a sign of a good movie in my opinion. Ryan Phillipe and Sarah Michelle Gellar knew exactly what each other's moves and thoughts.

Also, Ryan Phillipe and Reese Witherspoon brought magic to the screen that I haven't seen since I saw At First Sight earlier this year with Val Kilmer and Mira Sorvino, and I have seen a lot of movies since then. I think we can safely assume that Ryan and Reese were in simpatico together. Sebastian eventually gains feelings for his intended target and begins to have second thoughts about going through with the bet. I like this element because it shows that anyone can change. There are several sub plots to "Cruel Intentions" but they are not as much fun to watch as the main plot.

I was in awe in how well Sarah Michelle Gellar played her character. Known to children as Buffy, The Vampire Slayer, Sarah Michelle Gellar is fighting on the side of good, but here we have another side to an already talented actress; she plays evil so well, I'm very happy to see that she can play a variety of different personalities. I also liked Ryan Phillipe's performance because of the way he carried himself. His body language and movements, dialogue and dialect are so excellent he can pass them off as how he really is.

"Cruel Intentions" was an entertaining film that had a twist added on to the ending that made me go away with a smile on my face.

Dinosaur (2000)
a beautifully made gem, 17 September 2004

"Dinosaur" is a movie that will touch the heart of everyone young and old who watches it.

"Dinosaur" is a feel good movie that was excellent from beginning to end. I can't believe how this movie moved me. From the touching friendship between two different species of animals to exhilarating special effects, "Dinosaur" is a film that deserves consideration for an academy award.

With celebrity voices such as D.B. Sweeney, Ossie Davis, Alfre Woodard, "Dinosaur" has truly become one of favorite films of the year.

I highly recommend this film and ask everyone see this film not once, not twice but at least three times because the special effects are awesome, the plot is unique and the setting is among one of the prettiest sights I've seen on the screen in a while.

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]