Mother_of_all_Opossums

Bully (2001)
An extremely interesting film., 4 December 2004

*MAY CONTIAN SPOILERS*

As a teenager myself, while I love Larry Clark, his work must be taken with a pinch of salt. In the same way that 'Clueless' isn't a real picture of a typical teenage lifestyle, neither is 'Kids' or 'Bully'. The actions of the kids in 'Bully' are really just extreme takes on real issues and acts.

This is actually a true story, and one of the most interesting parts of it is the way that the audience reacts to the murder committed and the sentence handed down to the murderers at the end.

The film also shows the way SOME teenagers live, but what's important about the film is that although the sex, drugs and violence of the film aren't quite as severe in real life, most teenagers have snippets of this in their life.

An interesting film that can certainly cause some interesting discussions.

Dead Alive (1992)
Much-loved cult classic proves to live up to its reputation., 29 October 2004

'Braindead' does indeed live up to its reputation as a great film, but possibly for the wrong reasons. The reputation the film is often given is that supposedly it's the goriest film of all-time, but I would hardly call this one nasty. There is some extreme gore in this film, but it isn't exactly mallicious. This is best looked at as a bit of a way-out black comedy.

The film is also one of the best to ever come out of New Zealand. Some of the New Zealand cultural references are absolutely wonderful and another reason why this film is just so great.

Indeed see this film, hopefully you can enjoy it for not just the gore, and treat the gore as just an added bonus!

The Beyond (1981)
A brilliant Italian horror film. My first by Fulci and I'm impressed, 15 October 2004

I have always been a bit of a fan of the work of Italian horror directors like Mario Bava and Dario Argento, and Lucio Fulci (director of the Beyond) is sometimes praised as being as good as those two legends, and he is often called a director who only really cares about gore and deserves no respect whatsoever.

Not that I pretend to be an expert on Lucio Fulci, I can honestly say that I loved 'The Beyond'. Some people have said that Lucio Fulci doesn't have much of a plot in The Beyond, which may be true, but I can honestly say that that doesn't matter at all, because of the wonderfully surreal (albiet a bit gory) images that we are shown throughout The Beyond.

All in all, I really loved The Beyond, and I recommend you watch it with a few friends and enjoy the film, and don't read too much into it.

5/5, but avoid if you are an arachnidphobe.

Brilliant, Poetic, An Influential 90s Masterpiece In Art-house Cinema, 10 October 2004

Gus Van Sant may have had his ups and downs (Psycho anyone?), but this is without a doubt, one of the best pieces of cinema to come out of the early 90s.

Starring the infamous River Pheonix, and today's megastar Keanu Reeves, this film is well acted, has a great script, is filmed in a wonderfully minimalistic way and is just too good for words in general.

It has a poetic, Shakespearian, maybe even slightly beatnik plot and script, which also appeals to me in a movie. It is also very interesting to see the fantastic roots of Keanu Reeves, and just goes to show he didn't always make terrible films.

I really can't recommend this film highly enough. 5/5 from me.

Gothic (1986)
One of the most interesting horror films ever made!, 10 October 2004

I've only seen two of Ken Russell's films (Gothic and Lair of the White Worm), but if they are anything to go by, he is one of the best horror directors of all time. It is so nice to see someone going against the mould and not making predictable slasher films or Hollywood 'Sixth-Sense' style horror-thrillers.

It is about the weird night that Mary Shelly and her poet brother spent with Lord Byron, which supposedly inspired her to write Frankenstein.

It is filled with hallucionations and erotic weirdness which bridges it much closer to the work of David Lynch or Cronenberg than to the traditional horror film.

I absolutely loved this film and can't recommend it enough. Even if you hate it, you can't deny that it's an experience! 5/5

Fun, but hardly the saviour of the modern horror film, 27 September 2004

Well, this movie has been a long time coming. With trouble from distributors and a reputation that was of a shocking horror film, I was looking forward to seeing this.

I'm not really a fan of Mr. Zombie's music, but he seems to have taste in horror films, and this film seems to be a bit of a rip-off of classics like 'The Texas Chain Saw Massacre' and 'The Hills Have Eyes'.

It's a bit hard to go into the plot, seeing as it is virtually non-existent (not that that is always a bad thing in horror films), so what I'll do is ask some questions and answer them.

Is this a shameless rip-off of the best of Wes Craven and Tobe Hooper's best? Yes. Is this the saviour of modern horror? No. Is it better than most of the output at the moment? Depends on which was you look at it. This is on a par with a film like '28 Days Later', in that it is good but nothing spectacular, and way behind 'May', but much better than rubbish like 'Freddy vs. Jason'.

The final question is this: Did I enjoy/have fun watching this film? Yes. 4/5 from me.

One of the coolest, campest, most fun horror films ever made!, 20 September 2004

Ken Russell has made a masterpiece. I really believe this is one of the best of all time!

Staring Hugh Grant and Amanda Donahue this film is a weird mix of eroticism, scary psychedelic hallucinations, a Gothic hammer horror film, British charm and lots of snakes.

The storyline is weird, in typical Ken Russell nature, and the acting and special effects leave a lot to be desired, but this almost adds to the brilliance of this film.

I love this film. If you have any sense so will you, especially if you are into Ken Russell or want to see what Hugh Grant was doing before Hollywood. 5/5

Dogville (2003)
You've done it again, Lars. A fantastic, disturbing and thought-provoking film, 20 September 2004

Lars Von Trier is one of my favourite art-house directors. He has made consistently great films throughout his career and this is no exception.

The filming is interesting enough. I don't really know how to describe it, but it is certainly experimental.

The basic storyline is of Grace (Nicole Kidman), who runs to the town of Dogville to get away from 'gangsters' in the city. She wants to stay, so she gives the town two weeks of work before they decide to let her stay. Even after that, she gives all she can to the town, who seems to love her back. That all changes fairly soon.

It is a film that is pretty harsh, not because of the scenes, but more because of the concepts. It presents the human race as being brutal, uncompromising and selfish and by the end of the film, I was questioning the way our race acts on Earth.

Words do not do this film justice. An easy 5/5 from me!

Repo Man (1984)
A punk rock, science fiction b-movie comedy of the highest order!, 3 September 2004

By the time I got around to seeing this movie, I was prepared for something great. One of the best movies I'd ever seen. I wasn't really disappointed.

'Repo Man' is so original, so funny, so weird and so frequently brilliant that it just can't be ignored. It also has aged fairly well. It looks pretty good in 2004 for a cheap cult film of the 80s.

I can't really say much about the storyline without giving it away, but what I will say is a young punk kid is taken in to the weird, wild world of repo men, who all take speed and keeping the repo man honour is more important to them than to mafia bosses.

It also features a brilliant soundtrack with the likes of punk rock icons Iggy Pop, The Ramones and The Circle Jerks.

A brilliant film, recommended to anyone.

Believe the hype!, 3 September 2004

Unlike many art/cult movie fans, I for one am enjoying Hollywood's newfound idea of going for films that are 'wierd' or 'edgy'. I enjoyed both Fight Club and Boys Don't Cry, and Mulholland Drive, while hardly Lynch's best, is an interesting watch. Donnie Darko is even better than any of the previously mentioned films.

It's not quite the confusing wierdfest that it's promoted it as being, but Donnie Darko is one of the most enjoyable films of the last few years.

It is a science fiction/fantasy which delves into the life of an adolescent boy growing up in the 80s.

Some brilliant casting of relatively mainstream actors was a smart move and they all play the parts well. The soundtrack is also awesome featuring some of the best tracks of the 80s, by the likes of Echo & the Bunnymen, Joy Division and The Church.

Definitely a movie worth seeing.