johnjohnson68510

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Lots of laughs, honest joy., 28 August 2004

I don't know that I've ever seen a movie that had such innocent joy - I'm not sure if any other movie I've seen had any innocent joy, for that matter.

Perhaps what true joy I've seen in movies is civilized and therefore self-conscious.

Anyway, you can look at the crazy civilized world through the eyes of these innocents and have joy about it instead of cynicism. Can ordinary pain relievers do that?

The premise is how one empty Coke bottle in the garden of Eden could corrupt it. They do a totally believable job of it, too.

Lots of laughs, kids loved it. I saw it in the theaters in the mid-80's and am glad I saw it again. You'll like it. It will lighten your heart.

Jeri Ryan Can Act!, 28 April 2012

Until this episode I was always a little doubtful about Jeri Ryan's acting ability, wondering if she could only do one note: Imperial bitchiness. Not that I don't like her Borgian disdain for non-scientific and imperfect humans. Or that high-minded carriage of her cat-suited Barbie-doll body. But in this episode, as her Borg implant fractures her into multiple personalities, she gets a huge range of characterizations to perform, and she handles them well. And this script has a handful of clever complications en route to her healing that make it an enjoyable installment. It ends kind of quickly, but it is one of the better episodes, IMHO.

Cutlass (2007)
16 happy minutes. Youtube link included., 17 November 2009

What a happy little film! The daughter wants a guitar, the mom says no. Then she remembers when she was a teenage girl and wanted a shiny red Oldsmobile Cutlass. She thinks of how her Dad reacted, how well he handled it for her.

Kurt Russell plays her dad, and when he first comes on the camera he has a throw away line I could bronze his sideburns for: "I think I've lost my edge." I laughed out loud. I don't know why I like Kurt so much; I don't think he could play Hamlet if you begged him, but he is a great Everyman, and he smooths through this little gem surrounded by all around fine performances.

If you have a sense of family ties, I think you will enjoy this movie. It was kind of the nudge for me to get my girls a dog, for which they have been "begging" me for a couple of years. They _need_ a dog. Life imitates art, or at least is influenced by it.

Currently this movie is on Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyluTTt9avA It will cost you sixteen minutes, and there a lot worse ways you could spend that time.

You won't go into outer space, but you might love the Camp., 1 May 2012

What a fun, campy episode this one is! It takes place on the hollodeck in a black and white parody of a 1930's Buck Rogers serial. A photonic alien life form from outside of Voyager has accidentally gotten into a battle with Paris's hollo-nemesis, the evil Prince Chaotica. That battle is holding Voyager in a subspace riff, and it's losing power. So members of the crew dress up and ham it up in the hollodeck.

It's a snappy little script, full of jokes and asides, and Janeway is particularly enjoyable as the vampy Queen Arachnia. The story is also highly self-referential, and not all viewers may enjoy that. It's a story about a story, and brings you in full consciousness that you are watching human actors pretend they're in space. You won't go into outer space with the gang in this one, but you will get that feeling like when you're watching a fun play, when all the actors are having a good time and the audience is in on the joke. I love it when series do episodes that are far outside their norm. If you like camp, you'll love this little episode. If not, then you might want to pass.

The other innocent joy, 28 August 2004

This sequel has the same innocence and joy of the first one, just not as much. It's nice, but gets a little self-conscious. Part of the joy and purity of the first one is that it hadn't looked in the mirror too much. This one - well, it's still good, it'll lighten your heart to watch it, but you'll check your watch once or twice.

The first movie moved on the premise one Coke bottle in the garden of Eden could corrupt it. (They did a totally believable job of it, too, you ought to check out the first picture.) Civilization is a little heavier handed this time.

This picture has some of that contrived feel that most sequels have. But it's still a pleasure. How often do you see real joy in a picture, family love, innocence - and lots of laughs? A slapstick cops and robbers type of plot. The kids loved it.

The Last Nail in the Coffin, 20 April 2012

**** A Slight Amount of SPOILERS****** I hate to say this about a show that has brought me so much for so many years, but this episode was the worst I'd ever seen, a real disaster, and as we've been watching this patient sputter on life support, I think this episode will be the one that finished it off. This is the Jumping the Shark episode. The humor in this show has always relied upon exposing uncomfortable situations and joking about it, but there has always been a realistic tone to the situation. I don't want to go into it, but this episode revolved around Nellie humiliating Andy, culminating in a conference room meeting to talk about his sexual impotence with Erin. The writers, the directors and producers, and perhaps even the actors themselves, have lost all discipline. Utterly slack, sadly out of focus. For the first time ever I was embarrassed for the show as a whole. Really uncomfortable. I will miss this show. I've seen every episode. And I'll probably keep watching until they lay it in the ground.

Sweet and humorous, 5 June 2004

I saw this movie in 1988 because Gene Siskel said that Hollywood needed to make movies like this. (the other title he mentioned was Sweet Lorraine). I saw it with my wife while we were dating, and just saw it again, 16 years later. I liked it as much this time as before, although my emotions are filtered through some nostalgia for our dating.

But since dating and nostalgia are what the movie is about, it fits in well.

Funny story of an American boy, about 16, who's run away from home and struggling to be cool amongst Canadians in a a small British Columbia town, circa 1959. The lead character, his Canadian cousin, who is almost 13, is perfectly acted by Margaret Langrick, capturing the angst and adventure of puberty. She has a crush on her cousin, as do all the other girls.

It is a little campy, but doesn't have the ironic detachment of most camp. There's loads of irony here, and tons of humor, but there is a lot of affection (and attachment)for the characters that made it, for me, touching.

Our five children liked it, too.

A great episode, for fans and non-fans, 27 April 2012

Sometimes on this show, when they are working on a bad or mediocre script, the actors remind me of high school actors with a lesson or two. But when there is a good script, like this one, all the actors fall into place and you can see how good they really are. I assumed this episode was going to be just a treat for fans only, with a wink and a nod and the presence of Jonathan Frakes, from The Next Generation. But a person could enjoy this without any knowledge of Commander Riker.

The script builds with a movie-quality dramatic tension. It is a little cramped as a story, it doesn't quite fit into one episode, and you might find it slightly overdone. But it has a lot to recommend itself, with good straight action and lots of character nuances. If you're cruising episodes looking for some good ones, I'd pick this one. And I looked up the writer: it was Ronald Moore.

Midsummer's Night Star Trek, 1 May 2012

This one's a little hard to watch at first, but if you yield to the premise, as I finally did after fifteen minutes of being irritated, you might find it enjoyable. Otherwise, it's a pretty far departure from the show's norm. The story is about a big festival day with a lot of lovers reuniting. But for some funny reason, love runs amuck, and many unusual crushes and flirtations appear. I chose to watch this episode for Majel Barrett, who proves she is still one of the best TV actresses from 1960's, if you like that exaggerated style. Majel's character (Counselor Troi's vampy mother) has a romantic fixation on Oto. Many other characters get fixations, too, and things get topsy-turvy as love goes out in all directions. Love, love, love—too much love, and none of it quite right. There are a lot of fun twists in this Midsummer's Night Star Trek, and some viewers will like it while others will hate it. I will say this, Nana Visitor never looked prettier.

Aloïse (1975)
Stylish and sincere, 5 September 2004

I saw this movie three or four times when it came out. That was almost thirty years ago, but I remember it pretty clearly. It is a careful and sympathetic character study/biography of an actual young woman named Aloise, who was born about 1900.

It starts off in the dark, at night, with voices of young girls talking, sisters. Aloise says she would like the name Lulu for all the U's.

I didn't know what it meant at the time, but now I can see it meant she wished she were someone else. She was a gentle, artistic woman with a mind divided over many things.

There are various stresses in her life as she grows up; she is happiest when she is singing and when she is taking care of children, as a nanny. There is a beautiful scene in the park with the children, the last scene before the war breaks out. It starts to rain at the end of the scene, and, since I was in college, I recognized this as an allegory of the coming storm of the war.

When the war breaks out, it puts tremendous stresses on her psychologically.

She is a very gentle and empathetic person. None of us enjoy war, I'd guess, at least not most of us when we stop to think about what goes on. But it was just awfully hard on her. In a similar vein, the American poet Denise Levertov told me in the 1980's she was unable to write for a period because of the horrors America was supporting in El Salvador. War affects Aloise the same way.

I found it engrossing. It was stylish and beautiful. It was the first foreign film I saw over and over; the pacing and perspective were Western, but definitely not American. It was much slower and more delicate than an American film.

I was hooked.

I would very much like to see it again, and highly recommend it.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]