luvvbuzz54

haunting and powerful story, 20 January 2005

i saw this film as i tend to like films of this type about humanitarian stories, the fact that this one is true actual events made it even more powerful for me. it truly does bring home the facts of what the men from ww11 endured to make our world today as free as it is, and it is films like this one that should be shown as part of history curriculum in high schools. the film was brilliant, brutal, honest, extremely well acted, filmed and managed to touch me to the point of tears. Robert Carlyle was fantastic, as were the rest of the leads, i would give this film 9 out of 10 simply because 10 out of 10 would be perfection and perfection does not exist.

romanzesco italiano non convenzionale, 15 October 2004

an unconventional take on an Italian romance story. by no means is this film in the league of titanic for out and out romance, but romance is definitely what this film is about. it becomes obvious that the shy brother is much more comfortable with the other brothers girlfriend, and the confident brother is much more in love with the mail order bride. it has a great feel to it this film, the locations are great, i never thought of Australia to be so picturesque, but this film is set in the 1950's and the attitudes of people are reflected in that, its kind of quaint, a more innocent age than we live in today perhaps? i am glad i got to see this film, i don't think this film would appeal to people who are not romantic, its an interesting yet unconventional love story which i found quite enjoyable.

10 out of 10, 24 June 2004

SPOILER this films is just brilliant, one of the most underrated films of the 1990's, the cast all deserved an Oscar. gilbert grape is a character we can all warm to because he is just an ordinary guy, leonardo di caprio is excellent as the retarded younger brother who keeps getting into trouble with the local police. the parts of this film which really touched me were when gilbert hit arnie, when they burnt there own house down after the mother died and at the very end when gilbert is reunited with the woman he loves and they hit the road with the circus people, it is a very happy ending and i often watch this film when i am ill or feeling a bit down because it always makes me feel good. i give this film 10 out of 10 it is a classic.