plutus1947

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Home Alone 4 (2002) (TV)
Why did they bother?, 17 July 2016

Why they continued making the Home Alone movies after 1 & 2 I will never know.

Home Alone 1 & 2, although pretty predictable were quite hilarious in their way but 3 had me reaching for my whisky bottle and 4 reaching for the whisky bottle and my bottle of 100 sleeping pills because it was that bad.

Malcolm Mcdowell is a very accomplished actor but why on earth he signed up to make this pathetic excuse for a movie completely befuddles me.

The storyline was the same as all the other Home Alone movies but the script was totally non-existent. The same can be said about the direction and the acting.

I must say I have seen worse movies than this but they are extremely few and far between.

The movie is centred around Christmas but is certainly did not get me into the Christmas spirit (except the whisky of course) (Lol).

Very unnerving, 23 June 2016

I entitled this review as 'Very unnerving' because I am wondering how long it might be before what this movie is portraying will become fact.

SPOILER BEGINS

This movie is about children being bred and brought up as 'Spare Parts'. Spare parts presumably for the richest who can afford to buy a few extra years life at the expense of children bred specifically to donate vital organs to those who can afford them once the children have reached the age when their organs can be 'harvested' It centres around three young people who were taught and lived in a school called Hailsham.

The story follows these three from childhood to young adulthood and to the time they begin to have their organs taken. This was called 'Donations'

SPOILER ENDS

Kathy, played by Carey Mulligan, Tommy portrayed by Andrew Garfield and Keira Knightley, Ruth.

The parts portrayed whilst they were children were played by Izzy Meikle-Small (Young Kathy), Charlie Rowe (Young Tommy) and Ella Purnell (Young Ruth).

The writing and direction was sensitively done by Alex Garland and Mark Romanek. The movie was from the novel by Kazuo Ishiguro.

All the parts were acted superbly and with great professionalism, particularly Carey Mulligan (Kathy as an adult), who also narrated the movie as it progressed. Those who played the parts as children were also very professional.

I have no hesitation in recommending this movie but be prepared because it is extremely unnerving.

Modern medicine and science have already discovered how to clone animals and I would not be surprised if this has not already been done with humans in secret.

I am concerned that within a few short years this may actually start happening because human life no longer appears very important.

This movie is along the same lines of 'My Sister's Keeper' which was based on a novel by Jodi PIcoult. Although the novel is supposed to be fiction an actual case of Anissa Ayala who at 16 was diagnosed with leukaemia and because there was no suitable donor her parents decided to have another child whom they named Marissa-Eve. Marissa-Eve became the donor of vital bone marrow to her sister Anissa.

So breeding children for spare parts may not be that far away.

Angela Bassett WAS Rosa Parks, 23 May 2016

It is sometimes amazing how the tiniest act of defiance can literally move mountains.

SPOILER BEGINS

This is the true story of Rosa Parks a young black woman who refused to move from a seat designated 'whites' only on a public transport bus in Montgomery, Alabama.

The bus service in Alabama had made a rule that black people who rode on their transport were only allowed to sit in seats designated 'black' only, normally at the rear of the bus.

Rosa Parks got on one of these buses and found there was nowhere to sit in the black area so she decided to sit in a seat which were for use of whites only.

When the driver ordered her to get up she refused and was subsequently arrested, charged and fined $14.00.

She immediately became a heroine to the black people in Alabama, and eventually the world.

This was the catalyst which spurred Martin Luther King to start The Civil Rights Movement, which was ultimately to cost him his life.

SPOILER ENDS

The wonderful Angela Bassett played the role of Rosa Parks. This was an act of pure genius on the part of the casting agents because I cannot believe that any other actress could have played the part of Rosa Parks better.

Angela was also one of the Executive Producers.

The indomitable Cicely Tyson played Leona Edwards McCauley, Rosa's mother and as expected played her part to perfection.

The remaining cast were flawless in their acting and the direction was perfect.

I have no hesitation in giving this movie 10 stars and even though this movie was made 14 years ago I believe it is as relevant now as it was then.

SOME FACTS ABOUT ROSA PARKS

Her act of defiance resulted in the black community in Montgomery boycotting the buses for a year and none used them. They preferred to walk, no matter how far they had to go or what the weather was. This resulted in the owners of the buses rescinding their segregation due to the amount of revenue they were losing.

Her defiant act also spurred Martin Luther King into forming the Civil Rights Movement.

In 1999 Rosa was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal, the USA's highest honour.

She was Inducted into the International Civil Rights Walk of Fame in Atlanta, Georgia in 2004.

Had two schools named after her.

Rosa died at age 92 of natural causes although she did suffer from dementia in later life and was interred at Woodlawn Cemetery, Detroit, Michigan.

In February 2013 a no denominated (forever) stamp was issued valued on issue at 46c, This was issued to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Rosa's birth.

Earthfall (2015) (TV)
Where's the sick bag, 16 March 2016

I only have four things to say about this movie Terrible acting, terrible script, terrible direction.

Finally number four if this movie cost more than $5.00 (£3.50) to make the audience who went to see it wuz robbed.

I lied. I do have something else to say.

SPOILDR BEGINS

The movie is about a comet the size of a pea pulling the Earth out of its orbit and dragging the Earth into who knows where and of course it is up to an ensemble of no hopers to save the world and the human race.

SPOILER ENDS

Heard this plot before? I know you have and I bet the other movies with this type of plot were ten time better.

My only advice to your all is to forget it.

One final thing, dear IMDb please allows us to rate a movie zero because lets face some movies are not worth even a one.

More than excellent, 28 February 2016

This movie has to be one of the best I have seen in a long, long time.

SPOILER BEGINS

This movies is not about the hardships of WW2 experienced by the British, French, Polish or other occupied country by the tyrannical Hitler, it is about the hardships encountered by ordinary German families, one family in particular.

The story centres around a young girl, Liesel played admirably by a young Canadian actress Sophie Nélisse. She is sent, along with her brother to live with another family in another part of Germany but her brother dies on the way.

When she arrived she formed an instant attachment with her new father Hans Hubermann, played by the wonderful Australian actor Geoffrey Rush.

Her feelings for her new mother Rosa Hubermann played by Emily Watson were at best muted to begin with.

The story starts in Germany in 1938 when Hitler is in power and progresses through the beginning of WW2 and the final defeat of Hitler in 1945.

Liesel becomes friends with a boy a little older than her, Rudy Steiner played by Nico Liersch.

When she arrived with her new family she could not read or write but Hans began the task of teaching her.

She became enthralled in books and began 'borrowing' books from the Burgermeisters home. These books appeared to be borrowed on a non return basis.

Shortly after the war began a knock came to the door and a young Jew Max Vandenburg played by Ben Schnetzer was outside asking to be hidden. Hans was under an obligation to hide him because Max's father had saved Hans's life during WW1.

This is basically the story in a nutshell but it is an absolutely wonderful movie which should not be missed, especially the ending.

SPOILER ENDS

This is an extremely sad and heart rending movie which requires a good supply of tissues.

Sophie Nélisse, although a young actress played her part extremely maturely and lit up the screen with her impeccable performance. She was nominated for several awards and duly won quite a few.

Geoffrey Rush was his normal highly professional self and played his part to perfection in the same way as Emily Watson played hers.

I will always contend that Rush should have won an Oscar for his portrayal as Lionel Logue in The King's Speech.

Brian Percival directed The Book Thief superbly.

If The Shoe Fits Wear It (or maybe not), 10 January 2016

This is a strange little movie but despite the slowish start warmed up very well.

SPOILER BEGINS

Max Simkin played by Adam Sandler is a Jewish cobbler, as was his father, and grandfather before him.

While repairing a pair of shoes his machine gives up the ghost and he is forced to use an old hand operated tool which came out of the ark and was used by his family before him.

Once he had repaired the shoes for some reason he decided to try the pair on. As soon as he had placed the second shoe on his foot his appearance immediately changed to that of the shoes owner.

This happened with any shoes which fitted his feet and the storyline is about what happens whenever he wears a pair of shoes repaired by the old tool.

I won't spoil the movie by telling you how it turns out and what Sandler (Simkin) gets up to but the ending is interesting, even though I had figured out most of it early on in the movie.

SPOILER ENDS

The acting from all concerned is extremely professional and Adam Sandler is his normal flawless self. The direction was also of a very high standard. Steve Buscemi, who also appears in the movie, has acted with Sandler before and they pair up wonderfully.

There was a guest appearance by Dustin Hoffman.

This movie does not appear to have been nominated for any awards and neither is it likely to, however it does not mean that it was not worth making and watching.

It was extremely watchable and enjoyable and I would recommend it as light-hearted bit of escapism.

Jurassic Park 1 &2 Meets Jurassic Park 3, 28 September 2015

Jurassic world in my opinion was a Jurassic Park (World) too far and there is another planned for release in 2018.

I can't say it is the worst dinosaur movie I have ever seen, Age of Dinosaurs has that honour but I do feel that this series has now run its course and it will take something extra special in the next sequel due for release in 2018 to make me change my mind.

I have not bothered to write a 'spoiler' because if you have seen all the other Jurassic Park movies you will know the plot because it will be imprinted in your memory.

The redeeming factor for Jurassic World is it SFX, particularly when viewed in 3D.

All in all no more than a run of the mill dinosaur movie, better than some but nowhere near as good as some others.

They Don't make Music Like This Anymore, 2 September 2015

It looks like I am the only one who has decided to review this concert and DVD.

I have to say that it was everything I expected. Great music perfectly executed.

Hank Marvin, lead guitar has lost none of his talent or charisma and neither has Brian Bennett or Bruce Welch. These were the original members of The Shadows.

I have nicknamed Hank as the 'Man who has plucked a billion strings' because he must have plucked at least that many over the last 46 years (as at 2004).

Hank was 62 when he appeared in Cardiff on The Shadows Final Tour and so too was Bruce. Both are 73 now but I believe they are still going strong, mainly in USA. Brian Bennett was, and is, the old man of the group who was 63 in 2004 but is now the grand young age of 75.

Neither of them looked their age.

As for the concert itself, it was nothing more than I would expect from such a talented group who had their own unique sound. They obviously played their old hits such as Apache, Guitar Tango and Kon-Tiki. They also played some of the music from the films they had appeared in with Cliff Richard.

The group can also carry a tune very well with more than passable voices. My personal favourites of The Shadows are Atlantis and the lesser known Rise and Fall of Flingle Bunt.

Although the music was tremendous and took me back to when I had only just entered puberty, the highlight of the show was a 10 minute drum solo from drummer Bruce Bennett. It was phenomenal and the perspiration was dripping from him. His solo was all the more amazing when we consider he was 63 at the time.

All in all I have no hesitation in giving this concert a 10 rating because it takes me back to a time when the youngsters lived and breathed music.

If you get the chance get this DVD and see what the music scene was like in the 50s and 60s.

Airspeed (1999)
A disaster movie which was a disaster in itself, 4 August 2015

Out of all the disaster movies I have watched this must be in my top five as the worst disaster movie I have ever seen, although it did have the potential to be so much more.

I will say the cast acted their parts quite passably but despite their efforts the movies was completely spoilt by the terrible script and direction.

If the makers of the movie actually asked for technical help from an airline pilot it must have been Dick Dastardly. Equally I would suggest no help was requested from an Aircraft Engineer or Air Traffic Controller (ATC).

SPOILER BEGINS

Basically this movies is about a private jet carrying a pilot, co-pilot and three passengers, one of which is a 13 year old brat of a girl.

The aircraft is struck by lightening which ends up with the pilots and the two adult passengers becoming unconscious and a large hole blown in the fuselage.

The rest of the movie is taken up with an attempt to transfer the pilots and passengers onto another plane, which obviously comes unstuck after three of the five passengers are transferred, and the landing of the plane.

Before this occurred the girl Nicole, managed to contact Jeff at ATC via the planes radio but virtually straight away contact was lost.

Of course Nicole has a cell phone and somehow knows the land line number of the Control Tower and gets back into contact with Jeff.

Jeff seems to be an expert pilot who knows exactly how to fly a plane but even he and the rest of the tower are doing virtually nothing. They did not even bother to get a qualified pilot in to help Nicole.

Of course Nicole is left with the task of landing the plane and of course does so flawlessly despite the fact that the flaps were not used neither was the speed brakes and it took so long to apply them on landing that the plane would have ended up in a different state.

SPOILER ENDS

If you are an out and out masochist then I am sure you will think this is the best movie since the invention of the Internet, but myself I would pay someone NOT to give this DVD as a gift.

I Am Sam (2001)
why No Oscar?, 24 January 2015

I am sorry to say that as a man I do not like Sean Penn after all the terrible things he has done in his private life.

However as an actor I cannot fault his tremendous acting ability and the movie 'I am Sam' in my opinion is his best.

SPOILER BEGINS

I am Sam is about an Autistic man who makes love to a woman who ends up pregnant and having a baby girl. The woman disappears and it is for Sam to try to raise the child on his own. Thankfully he gets a wealth of help from one of his neighbours and without that I don't think he would have succeeded.

On his daughter Lucy's seventh birthday the social services take her away from Sam with a view to putting her into care and eventually adoption.

Sam eventually enlists the help of Rita on a Pro Bono basis. Rita is coerced into taking the case free of charge by her colleagues.

She initially considers that Sam has no chance of winning his case but as she gets to know him and Lucy she realises that they are perfect together and the love each has for the other has no bounds.

Rita has been having problems with her own son but with the help of Sam she learns to appreciate her son and learns how to be a good mother.

SPOILER ENDS

Sean Penn played Sam Dawson the Autistic father of Lucy Diamond. A young Dakota Fanning acted this role.

Michelle Pfeiffer played Rita Harrison Williams, Sam and Lucy's lawyer.

Penn was nominated for an Oscar for his acting in 'I am Sam' but it was won by Russel Crowe for Gladiaor.

As good as Crowe's acting was in Gladiator I feel that Sean Penn was robbed of the Oscar as I feel he was much more deserving. If he had won he would have had a hat trick of Best Actor Oscars.

Dakota Fanning was her usual immaculate self as a child star and played her part to perfection.

So to did Michelle Pfeiffer who showed how great an actor she is.

All in all this movie is well deserving of a 10 rating and in my opinion deserved the Oscar for Best Movie also.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]