Change Your Image
Upload An Image
Crop And Save
Iron Fist (2017)
Least of all the Marvel'Netflix shows.
I have been a Marvel fan for well over 30yrs. And I have loved every single Marvel/Netflix series so far and made sure to not read any reviews or watch any trailers prior to watching the series so that I would go in blind. Following is my points of likes and dislikes.
1. Danny Rand, supposedly a Kung Fu Master by all accounts isn't one in this series, sadly as shown by the B Grade fight scenes.
2. Danny's character is a spoiled child and not that of a highly disciplined fighter.
3. Davos: see point 1 above.
4. The fight scenes are haphazard and should have been more in line with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon skill level if we are to believe the whole point of the Iron Fist level of fighting.
5. Claire's character, which is very well developed in the DD, Luke Cage, etc. here is totally off script.
6. Madade Gau is probably the best character develop the show has going for it. Though I can't understand how she was so easily captured when in a an earlier scene she threw Danny 30 plus meters with a single touch. Yet she doesn't use any martial arts when about to be captured.
7. Makado: see point 1.
8. I kept expecting the next episode to be better, but it never happened.
9. Overall the show had moments of great storytelling but it left me feeling let down.
10. This is not a top notch Kung Fu show but a show with very bad fight scenes compared to any top rated Kung Fu movies that have come out over the past five years alone. Even, the Netflix Crouching Tiger had 10x better fight scenes and they had two teenagers fighting in it. Maybe they should have gotten their stunt team.
11. Colleen's skills are better than Danny's at times. She steals the show as fighter for me and I think her skills are at the right level for her stage as Sensei in the show. This is the only thing that is right about the show when it comes to the fight scenes.
12. The ending with Jo and Davos was bad. How are we to believe that Jo would suddenly side with Davos after the fact that Danny basically handed himself over to be killed by Makado to save her and her father and brother? Its not realistic and out of character for her.
13. Both Ward and Harold had amazing and believable character development and I enjoyed their acting.
14. If there is another series they must up their game on the fighting scenes, because it is a show about a Master Martial Artist.
15. They have to get the writers of Daredevil to write season 2 if there is going to be one.
4/10 for fight scenes. 6/10 for story. 7/10 for character development for everyone except Danny Rand's.
I initially gave it a 7/10 then when I decided to write this an hour later I changed it to a 6/10 based on the above.
A Haunting at Silver Falls (2013)
Glad I didn't read the plot summary...
Or I wouldn't have enjoyed the movie as much as I did. The story is very different to your average ghost story. Love the twist and kept my interest right to the end. The story is a slow bleed story on a new girl in town type tale filled with stories about a haunted forest. I really liked the way the story was revealed. I was asking myself what the inciting incident was after the first 10mins. The film doesn't try hard to be the next Exorcist or Amityville Horror and stands on its own feet as a ghost story that creates it's own genre.
If you read the plot summary, whoever wrote it deserves to be shot, the whole summary is a big Spoiler. Why anyone would write the whole premise and outline of a movie as a plot summary I can't for the life of me understand Which hopefully every horror/thriller fan won't read.
It deserves more than the low rating its been given on here. 6/10
Global Frequency (2005)
With the current shows that have actually been aired since 2005, you'd think that this show would already have several seasons. But, sadly not so.
I am a big Warren Ellis fan and yesterday started rereading his comics. Warren has written some amazing graphic novels and this one deserved to be a TV series. I only happened to hear about it when I decided to read up on wiki about Ellis' other works.
I loved this pilot. It deserves the rating it has. Hands down this is a very classy pilot. There is so much to like. We get Michelle Forbes as Amanda Zero who really nails the role. Michelle is such an awesome actor and has had great roles in the past. This one really suits her.
I loved the pacing and the tone of the show was just perfect for the story. I hope they hurry-up and make a series.