rainking_es

Page 1 of 44:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Cinema Archeology, 27 December 2008

Now, this is real cinematographic archeology!! Meliés was one of the very pioneers using a camera, and judging by what we see in his 8 minutes long "Voyage Dans la lune" he would'have been a great sci-fi director if only he had been born 40 or 50 years later.

A surrealistic and naive document for those who are interested in the history of the Seventh Art.

---------------------

-------------------------

-------------------------

--------------------------

Gozu (2003)
Lynch would like this one, 17 May 2008

A yakuza member is looking for his dead brother whose corpse has mysteriously disappeared. Miike turns that story into such a bizarre and oneiric content with lots of weird characters. There's much humor in "Gozu" but also lots of symbols that are quite difficult to interpret by the audience.

In "Gozu" Miike's not as violent as he use to be, but the're some scenes that shows that baroque sense of violent of the Japanese director. What to say about the final sequence!! One of the oddest one I've ever seen.

So, I didn't understand most of the movie and I think is too long (more than 2 hours), but it's definitely something different and personal. I'm sure David Lynch would like it so much.

*My rate: 5.5/10

Faithless (2000)
Tough and intense, 17 May 2008

This is a perfect and painful radiography of the breaking of a marriage, step by step. It leans on the superb work of Lena Endre -she's like the Swedish Meryl Streep-. Liv Ullman and Bergman (who wrote the script) capture every emotion, every state of mind. From passion to remorse, from love to the hatred provoked by jealousy.

Liv and Ingmar psychoanalyze infidelity and Lena Endre's character seems to be in front of a psychoanalyst. She undresses her soul and she lets herself go in such a way that's only within the best actresses reach.

"Trolosa" is tough and is intense. It's obviously a movie for adults, with a language rather literary but so real when it comes to talk about feelings and moral diatribes. Such a masterpiece and an amazing display of talent of an awesome actress.

*My rate: 9'5/10

Serious and sober, 17 May 2008

Christopher leads a peaceful life in Denmark along with his wife. He owns a restaurant and she's an actress. But their lives soon will change after the suicide of Christopher's father. He'll be forced to take charge of his father's business.

"Arven" is an intense and exceptional drama about giving' up on what we want, about that unmerciful and cold world of the big corporations. The moral is quite clear: what do you want money and power for if you lose everything you really love? Per Fly's style is serious and sober, he can't deny he's from northern Europe, 'cause in his cinema there's the same coldness than in Von Trier's or Bergman's.

*My rate: 8/10

A little speculative..., 17 May 2008

Nick Broomfield tries to clarify that absurd theory that says that Kurt Cobain was murdered. No one would actually believe that Kurt was killed because it is quite clear that his addiction and his depression killed him.

Anyway, Broomfield lets everyone to make their point, all those that defend the conspiration theory. But let me tell you, some of them, just like Courtney Love's father or that grotesque guy called The Duce are not reliable sources precisely.

Maybe Nick goes too far accusing Courtney. I mean, she's not Mother Theresa, but she isn't the root of all evil either. She's nothing but an arrogant and eccentric rockstar... just like most of people there in Hollywood.

Otherwise, "Who killed Kurt...?" has valious moments for all the fans of Kurt: early recordings, interviews with some of his relatives and childhood friends...

*My rate: 6/10

Potter still in good shape, 17 May 2008

Harry Potter's saga goes on in a pretty good shape. New mysteries are revealed and the story approaches step by step to the final face to face between Harry and the Dark Lord. . As Potters grows up and becomes an adult so does the story, and now everything is darker and there's a bigger presence of evil and death.

David Yates has made a good job, just like Columbus or Cuarón did before. It seems that it does not matter that much who directs the movie 'cause Mrs. Rowling's plots are addictive enough by itself. You can't tell which movie of the saga is the best because you can see the seven movies (the five already released and the two to come) as a whole, just like The Lord Of The Rings or Star Wars first trilogy.

Who needs cars??, 17 May 2008

The lifestory of a mongolian family that live devoted to their camels. The camels give them milk, wool, and they're the center of their universe. They're happy with that ancient lifestyle , they don't need TV or electricity, they don't need cars...

"The Weeping Camel" is an outstanding documentary that shows things just the way they are. There's not a narrator, so we just see and hear what that family do or say. The landscapes of the Gobi desert are so overwhelming, and Mr. Davaa and his crew have portrayed it with such gentleness. The photography is really something.

A nice tribute to those people that live in communion with their animals and with nature. In a matter of speaking they're the last of the mohicans...

Gondry's imagination has no limits, 17 May 2008

It's been a long time since I watched such an overwhelming display of imagination and creativity like the one Michael Gondry carries out in "The Science of Sleep". He merges reality and dreams, and expresses with images lots of oniric passages like no one had before. He's such an expert in dreams, no doubt about it, and a confirmed romantic. His movie is pure 21st century surrealism.

Gael García Bernal makes an outstanding performance speaking in languages that are not his mother tongue (English and French).

After "The eternal sunshine of the spotless mind" Gondry confirms that he's one of the most crazy and imaginative directors in the actual scene with this wonderful "Science of Sleep".

*My rate: 8/10

Too long, 17 May 2008

The story in "Sunshine State" begins with a woman who returns to this small town of Florida where she grew up. It's been a long time since she left and a lot of things have changed, even people have changed. We come to know several inhabitants of the place and their struggle to survive and the threaten of a construction company that wants to turn the town into some kind of resort with golf fields and swimming pools.

Sayles is a nice dialog writer and he's created some interesting characters, but his movie turns out to be a little bit long. In other words: he bit off more than he can chew. Maybe he could've made a TV series with this material, such like "Picket Fences" or "Northern Expsoure", 'cause it looks like he wanted to tell too many things in just one movie.

*My rate: 6/10

Sólo mía (2001)
Catastrophic actors direction..., 17 May 2008

If Javier Balaguer wanted to make a denunciation of ill-treatment against women he should've filmed a documentary instead of this movie full of clichés, stereotypes, unreal dialogs and the awful performances of Paz Vega and Sergi Lopez. I didn't expect much of Vega, she's so bad -although no one seems to notice- but I've always liked Sergi Lopez and I must admit that his work in "Sólo Mía" leaves a lot to be desire. Maybe he was influenced -in a bad Way- by Paz, or maybe Javier Balaguer has not the faintest idea about actors direction.

So if you wanna see a decent movie about ill-treatment you'd better go and see Icíar Bollaín's "Te Doy Mis Ojos". That's a serious movie, and with top quality actors.

*My rate: 3/10