Scream (1996)
Simply revolutionary., 31 August 2012

Let's go back in time : we're in the middle of the 90's, and Horror (as a genre) is wheezy and sickly, filled with cheesy and predictable slasher-films.

Wes Craven's Scream kind of came of out of nowhere, created a "worldwide surprise" and had a massive box-office success. Then, what makes Scream that different from a goofy or classic slasher-movie ?

First of all, the script. When you talk about Scream, you cannot NOT praise the amazing story written by Kevin Williamson. He has the cleverness to write a love letter to the genre, without forgetting to show its limits and flaws. There's always a great balance between parody and pure terror and it gives an incredibly fluid rhythm to the film. Plus, the characters are developed and it is something quite unusual in Horror flicks.

Scream as also some cult suspenseful sequences such as the unforgettable opening or nice chase scenes between the main character and the Ghostface killer. But to make those scenes believable, we need good actors. And oh my gosh, the all-cast is over the top. From Neve Campbell's neurotic portrayal of Sidney Prescott to Drew Barrymore's epic bravery moments in the opening, everything feels great. Finally, filmmaking is stunning, Craven outdone himself and created lots of tense and mythic moments.

To sum up, Scream is a revolutionary film, that has definitely changed the genre, or at least it woke it up. Easily one of the best horror films ever made.

ParaNorman (2012)
Laika,stop-motion's Pixar, 30 August 2012

Why is Laika, the studio that has made Coraline and now ParaNorman, "Stop-motion's Pixar" ? Because after Coraline's perfect trip through fear and loneliness, it is time for Norman to impress us all !

Just like in Coraline, the stop-motion animation is gorgeous and dazzling. The characters are all beautifully animated and everything feels alive, unlike CGI movies that sometimes may look cold (I'm especially thinking about Dreamworks movies).

The story of ParaNorman seemed a bit like a great-fun tribute to cheesy B-movies with funny characters. Well, it is by far better than this. The characters are deeper than I expected. And the last 30 minutes are incredibly surprising, thanks to a well-made twist unrevealed in trailers (which is really unusual nowadays) that leads to a fantastic, poetic and even sad climax. I'd say the final fight is the best of the year, by far.

To sum up, ParaNorman is a poetic, sometimes frightening and funny animation movie that everybody has to watch. It is at least as good as Pixar's best films, and I'm already waiting for the day ParaNorman will win an Oscar.

Best. Series. EVER., 23 August 2012

Here's what I can call the most astonishing television series ever made. Hello, you guys who didn't watch any episode of the show ! I know what you think about Buffy the Vampire Slayer and it sounds like "Oh man, come on, a blonde bitch fighting vampires while joking around ? No thanks." Just admit it, I thought the same before I started to follow Buffy and her great buddies into this incredibly deep, funny and emotional roller coaster ride Because you can believe me : Buffy has everything. It has the quirky dialogue and situations that make you laugh harder than ever. It has the drama that makes you cry like, literally (and yeah I'm a dude.). It also has some extremely surprising stand-alone episodes, like an outstanding musical episode or a scary-as- hell silent episode. This precise kind of episodes just prove how bold is the genius who's been running this show for more than a decade (if you count the amazing new seasons in comics.) Plus, the show expands a rich and unique universe with unforgettable characters and it even sets new standards for the genre in a good (way more Buffy-esque dialogue in television now, for example.) or a bad way (How could those lurking vampires possibly exist ?! I guess every rose as its thorn, huh ?). Anyway, carried by groundbreaking performances and dazzling storytelling, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a particularly entertaining and moving journey through life, fear and pain and a cult-classic show that has changed television. For all the people who didn't get the chance to watch it yet, JUST WATCH IT. I'm looking forward to see you quoting the most memorable lines from the show and pray everyday for your new god called Joss Whedon. Sounds crazy right ? But it's true. That's all I gotta say about the best show ever made in my opinion, now I'm leaving. If the apocalypse comes, beep me.

Scream 4 (2011)
One of the best horror sequels ever made., 23 August 2012

With this fourth installment, Wes Craven proves how incredible the Scream saga is. The Screams are all worth-seeing movies, even though the third one is a bit disappointing, and Scream 4 has everything to satisfy both fans and newcomers ! It is simply one of the best horror sequels ever made in my opinion, 2 hours of pure awesomeness. Thanks to its solid and clever script, the movie leads us into a cynical and suspenseful voyage that tries to show that in horror franchises, the original is always better than the remake. After seeing this sequel, I couldn't disagree more : if we consider Scream 4 as some kind of a remake, it is in every bit as savvy as the original.