Reviews

157 ReviewsOrdered By: Date
Coffee with Ana: nice flick, don't let the amateurish acting scare you.
5 January 2018
Let's be clear: this is a very very Indie Movie... and to be completely honest, it could compete in a Local Championship of Bad Acting.

But it's not pretentious and watching was absolutely pleasant for me: images are cool, camera is steady, shots are perfectly centered, the story flows with ease and follows a logical theme. Dialogue is actually good.

Everything revolves around Camila Jurado (who really is an actress, and a very good one too) who graciously carries the entire thing on her shoulders. Anyway... I feel like recommending it and I send my compliments to the Kings (father and son) together with my best wishes for the future.

A fine romance (as Dorothy Field would have said)...
Breathe (I) (2017)
Breathe: a British top-notch Production.
2 January 2018
If I may give an advice to you, don't read anything about this film. Just watch it: the less you know, the more you'll be wonderfully surprised.

Perhaps all you'd like to know is that it's a British top-notch production, based on a really interesting story, with a flawless script and an excellent cast. A very entertaining 112 minutes.

And yes: Tom Hollander is playing the Blacker twins. Both of them. And they sing together 'Goodbye-ee'.

Enjoy.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: a Marvellous Movie.
1 January 2018
In any form of art things are different from real life. Even the greatest artist can't tell a story exactly the way it went: fiction and reality are two different things. And they should stay that way otherwise you wouldn't enjoy watching a movie or reading a book: you'd be watching a documentary or reading a handbook.

The realm of Fiction is lifelike representation, in all its styles (which could be many) and this movie is a masterpiece of a new American genre, that still doesn't have a name but counts some illustrious predecessors such as 'Hell or High Water, 2016'.

The script is as good as its characters, which are fantastic. And the cast displays infinite art in playing them (I dare you not to be impressed by Sam Rockwell, above all).

So it's not a real story but is a beautiful one. And whereas Reality can be nice, Fiction can be marvellous.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Jack of the Red hearts: An OK Movie.
10 November 2017
A stray girl and an autistic child: I'm sure most of you can figure out what kind of film this is. But doesn't matter: what matters is only how convincing is the story, how endearing are the characters and how much, in the end, you'll care for their destiny...

And, according to me, this movie is OK: the story flows with a good narrative balance, AnnaSophia Robb will surely charm you, Scott Cohen will show what a gifted musician he is, by the way, and everything will go fine, from the beginning to the end.

I'm not inclined to give it more than a 7 (out of ten) only because I'm old and I have already watched too many movies. But besides that, this is a quality film and a very good cast.
Wind River (2017)
Wind River: An Excellent Movie.
6 November 2017
Taylor Sheridan has the gift of creating catching stories, which is writers' most valuable quality: an ability you could simply have or have not.

So even if the cast was exceptionally good and everybody did great, you can't help but notice his script, his direction and the atmosphere he created.

The present title is a thriller (just like 'Hell or High Water'), full of lovely and endearing characters. You'll love the people, the place, the snow and everything... and at the end you'll probably find yourself waiting for a next title from this very talented Author.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Overdrive (2017)
Overdrive: (very) stupid but enjoyable.
10 October 2017
Scenery is great (Southern France seashore in Autumn), Opening scene is catching (none can deny it), Ana de Armas, Clint Eastwood's son together with other nice guys and beautiful girls help keep interested, script and direction are good (very professional), dialogue is entertaining… in other words this title is an 87 enjoyable minutes.

Personally I'm not fond of cars and I don't think the 'Fast and Furious' franchise was so clearly better. Surely it ain't more clever. So, if you like action movies and you want to watch something light, relaxing and entertaining, my suggestion is to feel free to enjoy without listening to needlessly scandalized reviews.
5 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Baby Driver (2017)
Baby Driver: Great film. Easy to appreciate if you love comics.
29 September 2017
Edgar Wright has two souls. One is his Simon Pegg, British (he is actually Brit) comedic soul: Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead, End of the World… enjoyable movies, nothing to say (except maybe that the latter was not so funny).

Anyway what i really like is his International (US, Canada) Comic Book soul: Scott Pilgrim vs the World! A fantastic and original movie (based on a comic book) and this last one, Baby Driver, whose reality and characters (Baby, Doc, Bats…) are taken by all means from a comic book. Except that there is no book and everything was made by his imagination.

The film is really good. A stellar cast. Few incredibly good scenes, maniacally cured down to the last word and to the tiniest detail. And music sync, fresh and meaningful as it was in 'Steamboat Willie' Disney, 1928.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Message from the King: a TV movie.
12 August 2017
This movie puts together some among my favorite actors: from Alfred Molina to Luke Evans or Teresa Palmer or Chadwick Boseman, and follows an intriguing storyline.

Unfortunately (on my opinion) the final result suffers the destiny of many TV movies: a plot doomed by annoying logical holes, an unkempt sequence of events and an (even more disturbing) insufficient development of key characters…

Too many good actors for a missed opportunity.
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My Sweet Pepper Land: Actually what really appeals is Kurdistan!
27 May 2017
A very nice film, with many good qualities.

First of all the cast: the pretty (and talented) Golshifteh Farahani and the less known but equally intriguing Korkmaz Arslan, together with several convincing actors in supporting roles. Interestingly, neither Farahani nor Aslan are Kurds (she is Iranian and he is Turkish…).

Then we have the undisputed talent of Mr Hiner Saleem (who really is Kurd), whose filmography already has gained him a well deserved fan base.

Finally, you'll see Kurdistan. The ugly, cold Kurdistan with its stony hills and gaunt landscapes. Poor, superstitious and dangerously undeveloped, with its violent attitude and undersized rides. And you won't be able to help but like it.
Viking (2016)
Viking: Why didn't they Call it 'Vladimir the Great'?
13 May 2017
A beautiful movie about Vladimir I of Kiev and a fine chance to get more familiar with Eastern Europe's Medieval History.

Shot with artistic talent and historical accuracy, the movie shows the clash between Scandinavian, Rus, Greek-Roman and Turkic populations at the dawn of the second Millennium.

And Russian historians are among the finest on this period (those who have an interest in Byzantine History know very well who Georg Alexandrovič Ostrogorsky was) so I would not agree with those who complained on this matter.

Calling the movie 'Viking' shows a sophisticated knowledge of Saint Vladimir's life. But it might be deceiving for greater audiences.
16 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Palmeras en la Nieve: Highly Recommended
12 May 2017
The Cinematographic transposition of Luz Gabás' (first) fine novel.

It's a wonderful story, very well adapted for the screen by Sergio G. Sánchez (screenplay) and Fernando González Molina (Director).

It's a great emotional tableau, dealing with Universal themes.

So no matter what age, race or gender you are: you will surrender to the romantic charm of Equatorial Africa at the end of the Colonial Era.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gold (I) (2016)
Gold: an Unpleasant Great Movie.
29 April 2017
Maybe I have issues but I can hardly help it: I hate watching movies that celebrate self destructing characters who can't resist their own weaknesses and let them drive themselves down.

Matthew McConaughey in this movie is bald, has an horrible belly and drinks way too much (is it by any chance because of De Niro's performances in the 80's, that you have to be able to change your body shape to prove yourself an actor?).

He also talks too much and even though you can see that he is good-hearted you can't refrain from wondering why a slightly overweight but still pretty Bryce Dallas Howard doesn't desert him.

The present title, in other words, has not been a pleasant watch for me. But, believe me, is a great movie…
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Resurrection of Gavin Stone: Nice Flick.
23 April 2017
This is a Christian Propaganda movie and I'm an unbeliever. To be precise I made mine Captain Fantastic's lines where the children say 'We don't make fun of People … (Pause) … except Christians'.

This film was however nice. An Indie movie with an inspired plot and good lines. And art is art, no matter who makes it and what his certainties are. What matters is only the result and both Andrea Nasfell (Writer) and Dallas Jenkins (Director) are renowned artists, and all the Cast did well (Brett Dalton in particular).

So if you'd like to watch, sit down and breathe normally. Even though Christians will Try and Convert you, I've already been through it and made it trough the end unchanged. And so will you, I'm sure.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Matchbreaker: so much wit!
31 March 2017
This movie really stands up from many other similar comedies: I can hardly recall such a pyrotechnical and funny dialogue in the past few years. The authors (amongst whom you can find Wesley Elder, the main character, the matchbreaker…) were really inspired when they wrote this fine piece: one of quickest and wittiest cut-and-thrust ever.

A fine work with a moral teaching: being smart ain't enough. You got to be honest too.

The only really really sad thing is that (as you will probably know), we'll never watch and hear the lovely Christina Grimmie acting and singing any more.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
20th Century Women: An above-average and enjoyable movie.
29 March 2017
Mike Mills (movie's Writer and Director: I hope that you have watched 'Beginners, 2010'...) is such a clever man (and talented author) that you cannot fail to recognize his works. His hallmark are interesting stories where not much, besides love, life and death, happens. And the great 'being sincere while pretending' acting that he gets from his actors.

Hegel says that art should be completely useless, not even enjoyable: the only joy in watching should come from truthfulness. This could be a little bit scaring so I want to reassure you: the present movie is art but is enjoyable nonetheless. It's a comedy (or at least it looks like one) and is never boring.

It's one of the nicest descriptions of the 70's I ever watched. And I guess that Author's way of expressing the peculiarity of some traveling by decorating running cars with their own light spectrum won't go unnoticed.
1 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Date with Miss Fortune: Catching Title, Catching Movie.
24 March 2017
A nice comedy, fresh, inspired, full of interesting ideas, with good dialogue (and small budget). You might not recognize the exteriors because it's not US but Canada (Toronto).

And the Actors playing the two main characters (Jack and Maria) are Canadians too. They also wrote the script and produced the movie, together, and truly are husband and wife in real life. Which is nice and interesting at the same time. As it is movie's flash-forward structure, which adds to production's overall quality and originality.

Many good actors help to keep the attention high, starting from the great Joaquin de Almeida (who really is Portuguese) to Vik Sahay. Singer Nelly Furtado plays a nice cameo (Nelia: Maria's favorite cousin…) and the musical score includes one piece I like and it's poorly known: 'Ticket to Love' from the Hawaiian band 'Goodbye Elliott'. Enjoy.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Outlaws and Angels: Love, Misery and Egoism.
23 March 2017
The present movie is the final elaboration of a shorter piece called 'Henry John and the Little Bug', released about seven years ago by the same Author, JT Mollner, a peculiar kind of film maker.

The final full-length result is peculiar too, but very well acted and very well written. It deals with miserable beings living miserable lives and is a paradigmatic story of how misery, love and egoism can bring anyone to perdition, given the wrong circumstances.

There isn't much pity in Author's heart for his own characters and not many of them will make it through the end. But there is love, as in any great artist's eye, even though of a strange and desperate sort.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The River Thief: an entertaining and pleasant film.
25 February 2017
There are some very good artists in this flick. First of all I'd like to mention Tommy Cash (the folk singer), here at his first acting performance: very intense, completely believable in his key role. A great artist.

Then the beautiful (and gifted singer too) Raleigh Cain, about whom I'm certain we will hear more in the future. Then the convincing Bas Rutten, Paul Johansson and Joel Courtney, of course.

And then the talented Author: Nathan D Wilson (Writer, Director and Producer) who on a flimsy plot (it could really have been a disaster…) built a catching piece made of excellent characters, meaningful words and beautiful scenery.

An entertaining and pleasant film.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Operation Chromite: Inchon battle deserved a more instructive reconstruction…
3 February 2017
Korean Entertainment Industry is a reality. It evolved over the years and now it may count on a wide choice of good Actors, Authors, Musicians, Producers and Technicians. The results are professional TV and Movie productions, with an overall good artistic level.

The present title is a War Movie that recalls of old American productions of the same genre. Just as in the 50s and the 60s, when World War II was too fresh a memory and war stories were rhetorical and unrealistic, this movie is biased by a mono dimensional description of the UN/US counter offensive in the Korean War (which easily may be too fresh a memory for people from ROK…).

This is a pity of course, because almost nothing is left of the real events (which by the way are much more interesting than the fictional ones) and the movie is not instructive at all. Unfortunately men are the same everywhere and Communists are not the only ones who cannot resist the charm of propaganda…
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Spin Out (2016)
Spin Out: Enjoyable. Not Meant specifically for Geniuses…
31 January 2017
It's a predictable and enjoyable flick, revolving around the (good) look and the (good) acting of its rising star, Xavier Samuel and his partners, Morgan Griffin in the first place.

Frames are full of sun, fresh and good feelings, beer and cars (utes…): as stated in the synopsis it requires a young heart to enjoy it but it's well made, with good care for details and a general good taste.

Even if you cannot refrain from asking yourself what is the point of drawing circles in the dirt with you car's wheels, its current rating on IMDb (4.5 at the time I'm writing) is too low (on my opinion).

It deserves a 6. And BTW, in case you never heard Dave Baxter's 'Love Love Love' before, I'm sure you'll love it, as i did.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Planeta Singli: A Nice Polish Comedy!
26 December 2016
A very good 2 hours and 10 minutes of Polish romantic movie: well written (Credits list no less than eight different Authors, in strict alphabetical order…), well acted and very well filmed and produced.

The plot is nicely intertwined and lets you enjoy an updated version of Polish life, probably different from what most of us can commonly expect.

A display of beautiful and charming presences (I'm sure Weronika Ksiazkiewicz won't go unnoticed) helps to fill the screen and entertain.

And you might like to know that there are 4 (not particularly remarkable) final seconds after the titles…
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hell or High Water (II) (2016)
Hell or High Water: Totally Ten.
14 November 2016
A great film whose final confrontation is worth the entire movie. Marvelous performances, great scenery and above all a wondrous story.

Its Texas accent's based dialogue is so penetrating that I went on speaking (and thinking) like that for two days after watching the movie.

Taylor Sheridan (you can see him in a cameo role 'racing a fire to the river with a herd of cattle') wrote a modern masterpiece, that somehow reminds of 'In The Heat of the Night, 1967', but full of originality and made of better, more evolved characters.

Totally 10.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mechanic Resurrection: Not recommended to (even mildly) sophisticated watchers.
12 November 2016
A roughly sketched film, with absolute no cure for details that I would not recommend to you unless you have really low expectations and can be happy (as I have been) with 98 minutes of some action and general entertainment.

Special effects are (very) cheap, plot is more unrealistic than ever, dialogue is poor. On the bright side scenery is beautiful and well filmed, Jason is in great shape and Jessica looks pretty as she always is.

And Sidney's suction cups scene (you'll see…) is nice, or at least the idea was…
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Genius (2016)
Genius: A Great Old Fashioned Movie.
12 November 2016
John Logan is a star among screenwriters. He wrote 'Any Given Sunday, 1999', 'Gladiator, 2000', 'The Last Samurai, 2003' and 'Spectre, 2015', just to quote the most celebrated ones. I like to remember that he wrote as well 'Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, 2003', one of the most adventurous and one of my favorite Animation Movies ever.

I'm saying this because many reviewers praised current movie's acting and I want to underline how good were the words that were spoken and how much this made everybody's job easier.

A great display of art and craftsmanship, no doubts, but an 'old taste' movie (on my opinion): very theatrical, characters' charm of a dated kind and a plot that sounds strangely clichéd despite this being a completely true story.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Crown (2016– )
The Crown: A Great Work.
12 November 2016
It's a great work: 60 episodes (currently only the first twenty have been shot and released) but Peter Morgan is no doubt a great Author ('Rush, 2013', 'Hereafter, 2010', 'Frost/Nixon, 2008').

Season two is way better than season one, the cast is sensational and everybody puts life in his/her one character. The beautiful Claire Foy (for whom I have a soft spot) rightfully rules over the cast while the main guest star still remains Stephen Dillane from Season 1 (episode nine: the court painter). I really enjoyed the first 20 episodes and I wait for the 30 more to go...
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this