Reviews

6 ReviewsOrdered By: Date
Community: Documentary Filmmaking: Redux (2011)
Season 3, Episode 8
Madness
22 November 2011
This kind of episode is why I tune in to Community each and every week. It is the most original show on television and it does not deserve to be canceled. The episode is supposed to be a parody of "Hearts of Darkness" which is a documentary on the making of Apocalypse Now. I have never seen this documentary, yet I still love this episode. The plot revolves around the Dean (Jim Rash) and his new task of filming a commercial to update the old Greendale commercial, which looks like it was filmed in 1991. After a bit more exposition, the Dean eventually realizes that former student Luis Guzman wants to be in the commercial. After this, the episode descends into complete madness in a style that only Community can bring us. The reason it works so well is that the acting and directing is very good. Jim Rash is an excellent actor and should be commended for his performance in this one. Community is the very best show on television. Nothing else in the history of TV has brought us episodes so unique from each other that you have to remind yourself that you are watching the same show, but at the same time achieves excellence in all styles that it attempts. The people who work on this show do not only enjoy stepping out of their comfort zone and trying something new and unique, they thrive by committing to such ideas. Even if the show is over after this season, I will feel lucky that I got to see such an amazing show that really deserves much more recognition than it gets.
27 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not Just a TV Show, But a Work of Art as Well
22 July 2010
Avatar: The Last Airbender is the kind of show you have to see every episode to understand. The slightest minutia come back seasons later to play important roles in the series. That being said it is one of the most carefully orchestrated and beautiful TV series I have ever watched. It has amazing, flawed characters that aren't pieces of cardboard like most on TV nowadays. The show is hilarious, tragic, scary, and beautiful all at the same time and a timeless piece of television with great messages for children as well as adults. Don't let the fact that this was on Nickelodeon deter you from watching, because it is definitely not only for children. People of all ages find this show engaging and inspiring. I guarantee once you begin watching it you will not be able to stop. It is truly an astonishing work of art that has left in me in awe due to is amazing characters, epic scale, fulfilling story, and jaw dropping beauty. Do not miss it!!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Paradise Lost (1996)
Season 4, Episode 11
Excellent Episode with Disturbing Parallels to Real Life
9 May 2010
Paradise Lost is the second part of a two part episode in which Captain Sisko is recalled to Earth after a changeling sets off a bomb on Earth killing about two dozen people. While Sisko begins working on new security measures for Earth to keep out Changelings, Earth's entire power grid shuts off and everyone begins to believe the Changelings are attacking. After there is no invasion, Sisko begins to suspect something is up. He eventually finds out the disturbing truth, one that is hard for him to even swallow!

This episode has many ties to what has happened in the United States after 9/11, even though it was written well before that happened. A peaceful society is turned upside down by an act of terror, and the government uses the fear that the act of terror creates in its citizens to further its own agenda. Some may disagree with this point of view, but to me it seems all too clear that this is eerily similar to real life. It is an excellent piece of writing by those who worked on this series and good lessons can be taken from it. Ten out of ten.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Star Trek: Voyager: Timeless (1998)
Season 5, Episode 6
Finally some Depth to Mr. Kim!
29 July 2008
I am a big fan of this episode mostly because it allows for Harry to grow as a character. The writing staff barely ever gave him any attention, and this episode is one which shows the direction that Voyager could have taken. I'm not going to give anything away, but by the end of the episode, the depth and intrigue that was brought to his character is gone, but for one episode Harry Kim did come alive for me.

This episode takes place in the future, when Harry and Chakotay have gotten back to Earth. The only problem is that 15 years earlier, Harry makes a mistake during the flight of their new, faster "slipstream drive" that would take them all the way home.

I would rate this episode 10/10.
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hey Arnold!: Spelling Bee/Pigeon Man (1997)
Season 1, Episode 15
Pigeon Man
10 April 2007
-10 April 2007 This is one of the most moving episodes of a cartoon series I have ever seen. It teaches lessons to children that it is okay to be different, but to remember that even though not everyone is good, that there is still some good in the world. Also, it taught me to not be ashamed of who I was and to embrace it. I'm not going to go into detail about this because you should go watch the episode for yourself to see what I mean. Anyway the acting and style and music are all very good as they always are on Hey Arnold, but there is something more about this episode. Something that just spoke to me as a good person and a good human being. The effect this episode had on me lasted ever since then, and I know nothing in my childhood that has moved me more. 10/10

-15 January 2013

I just caught this episode again and watched for the first time in about 6 years. This one still holds up, unlike a lot of other shows that I found to be great as a child. This one deals with a lot of complex concepts for a children's TV show, such as the nature of human beings. It shows us at our worst when Harold and his friends trash the roof because they found the Pidgeon Man to be weird and different. It shows us at our best when Arnold befriends the Pidgeon Man and takes him out for pizza. It also shows how it is okay to be different and the reality that not everyone will accept you for going against the grain. It is truly a tragically beautiful episode and I still found myself tearing up at the end. The late great Vincent Schiavelli gives a masterful performance here that really makes the viewer understand the Pidgeon Man's loneliness. I stand by my rating from all those years ago: 10/10. Perfect.
13 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Matrix (1999)
Praise for "The Matrix"
15 May 2004
The brilliant writing and amazing plot line are what make this movie so great. The hero introduced with this completely new idea of our future made it very interesting to see the development of Neo. Also, the roles of Morpheus as the mentor, Trinity as the lover, Cypher as the villain, and the supporting role of Tank were all done exceptionally. Oh, but don't forget the SPECIAL EFFECTS. The way parts of this movie were filmed have been copied by so many different directors and filmmakers because of how great they were; it would take me a day to list them all.

Besides the bullet-time, the movie, actors, other effects, and chemistry were all exemplary and brilliant and came together to create one of the greatest films in history. I wish I could say the same of the sequels...
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this