344 ReviewsOrdered By: Date
Disappointing
30 December 2006
Flags of Our Fathers is based off of James Bradley and Ron Powers successful novel about the life stories of six men who raised the infamous flag on The Battle of Iwo Jima. The book, Flags of Our Fathers, is my favorite book ever written. The development of the six men's lives throughout the book was the greatest thing the book had to offer. The Battle of Iwo Jima, in the book, was extremely powerful and shocking of what the actual men had to go through. There was no development in the film of the six men. All it focused on was the three out of the six survivors who made it back from Iwo Jima. I thought the book was mainly based on the six men's lives, not just three. I mean you really didn't care about the three who died, because it never really focused on them.

The battle scenes were pathetic. Battle of Iwo Jima was one of the most horrific and bloodiest battles in history and this film lacked that. There wasn't much emotional and extreme intense battle scenes. I thought it was just all boring. The acting was also mediocre. Ryan Phillipe did fine as John Bradley but I thought Jesse Bradford as Rene Gagnon and Adam Beach as Ira Hayes had bad acting. They tried too hard in their roles and when they acted, it just came out corny. I've never really been a big fan of Clint Eastwood as the director, and I thought Spielberg should of stepped away from just producing, and direct the movie. I thought he would of done a better job overall.

There were a couple moments in the film that were good though. The ending was the best part of the film. With Thomas McCarthy as James Bradley narrating about how the three survivors lived the rest of the lives after Iwo Jima, were great. The War Bond scenes were a lot like the book had it done also. Overall, this was a disappointing film in my opinion, that could've been a lot better.

Hedeen's Outlook: 5/10 *+ D
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Accepted (2006)
A surprising comedy
30 December 2006
Accepted is about a high school burnout who has been rejected from every college he has applied to. He starts to create a fake university in order to fool his overzealous parents. This is a surprising comedy that made me laugh on almost every scene. Most of the characters in the movie I never heard of, were all hilarious, especially Jonah Hill and Adam Herschmann. The movie was actually pretty original. I've never really heard of a storyline like this, and when I read it, I thought it would be another dumb comedy with the same jokes as any other comedy. But I was pretty surprised of what I saw. Overall, this was a really funny comedy of 2006 and should get more appreciated. I highly recommend it.

Hedeen's Outlook: 8.5/10 ***+ B+
The Departed (2006)
One of Scorsese's bests
19 October 2006
The Departed is about two men from the opposite sides of the law that are undercover within the Boston State Police department and the Irish mafia, but violence and bloodshed boil when discoveries are made, and the moles are dispatched to find out their enemy's identities. This is an excellent film by one of my favorite directors, Martin Scorsese. The all star cast represented by Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg, Martin Sheen, and Alec Baldwin are all brilliant and they act out their performances with much realism. The screenplay is written out very well by William Monahan and the direction by Scorsese is sensational, with his trademark camera work. The soundtrack was also very well done. Overall, this is the best film of the year so far and even though it's no Goodfellas, it is truly, one of his greatest films. I highly recommend it.

Hedeen's Outlook: 10/10 **** A+
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life
19 October 2006
The gang is back! This is an instant classic in the comedy genre in my opinion. I don't believe I've ever laughed so hard in my life. Every event and every dumb thing they did in this film was absolutely hilarious and if you didn't laugh once, you don't have a sense of humor. I never saw Jackass Number 1 but since I'm a big fan of the shows, "Jackass", "Wildboyz", and "Viva La Bam", I couldn't resist watching it. Chris Pontius is my favorite person in the movie and I think he might be one of the funniest people in the world. Classic line from the film, after Ryan Dunn burnt the shape of a penis on Bam Margera's ass:

"Why did you do that?"-Bam's Mom

"Because it was funny."-Ryan Dunn.

Overall, this is probably one of my favorite comedies that I've ever seen and I hope they make a Jackass Number 3 in the near future. I highly recommend it!

Hedeen's Outlook: 10/10 **** A+
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An interesting debut with fine performances
19 October 2006
Shattered Glass is based on a true story about a young journalist named Stephen Glass who fell from grace after fabricating about half of his stories at The New Republic. I watched this film in Journalism class about a month ago and thought it was a great movie. This is Hayden Christensen's best acting debut to date and I thought Peter Sarsgaard had the best performance throughout the film and he has a great future ahead of him. Besides the performances, the screenplay and direction by first timer, Billy Ray was excellent. Overall, Shattered Glass is an interesting and entertaining film of 2003. I highly recommend it.

Hedeen's Outlook: 9/10 ***+ A-
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
House of Wax (2005)
When are they ever going to stop
14 September 2006
House of Wax is a remake of the 1953 film about six friends that are stranded in a ghost town where a house of wax is straight ahead, which causes them a BIG delay to where there going. This is another horrible remake and a horrible film in general that made me almost quit watching in the opening credits. I literally watched this film just to make fun of it and watch it because of all of Paris Hilton's publicity she got from the film. This is just like any other horror film. It has to be extremely gory and it has to make the villains impossible to kill, just so the movie can be more scarier. When are they going to stop making these cheap films with handsome heroes that have no acting talent and beautiful actresses to play the main leads? It will never end. Overall, this is a pathetic slasher film that pretty much made me laugh in every scene of how bad it was.

Hedeen's Outlook: 1/10 No stars F
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Carlito's Way (1993)
Carlito's Way...
14 September 2006
Carlito's Way is about a Puerto Rican ex-con named Carlito Brigante who is just released from prison, tries to lead his life to a good path although being pressured by the people around him and his earlier life. Brian De Palma (Scarface and The Untouchables), directs another successful film that has colorful characters, a good soundtrack, and a good screenplay by David Koepp. The performances were good especially by Al Pacino (who performs with another accent like in Scarface), Penelope Ann Miller, John Lequizamo, and Luis Guzman. I didn't think that Sean Penn was that great in this film. I thought he tried too hard and I sort of thought he did the part pretty badly honestly. Don't get me wrong, I like Sean Penn a lot, but I just thought he played a dull performance. Overall, this is a good film by Brian DePalma, that will be appreciated more and more in the future. I recommend it.

Hedeen's Outlook: 8/10 *** B
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Rounders (1998)
A great movie with a terrific cast
22 August 2006
Rounders is about a reformed gambler that must return to playing big stakes poker to help a friend pay off loan sharks. This is a really entertaining film that is almost comparable to Ocean's Eleven. The cast was incredible. Edward Norton, Martin Landau, John Malkovich, and especially the main lead, Matt Damon did there roles very well and without their great performances, the film would be a let down. The direction by John Dahl and the screenplay written by former writers, David Levien and Brian Koppelman, were very well done also. The dialogue was written well and the narration by Matt Damon, made the film even better. Overall, this is a very gripping and entertaining movie. I highly recommend it.

Hedeen's Outlook: 8.5/10 ***+ B+
Oliver Stone redeems himself
10 August 2006
World Trade Center is based on a true story about two port authority police officers trapped under the rubble of the World Trade Center and the families that try everything to rescue them. This film is extremely powerful and can traumatize a lot of people who are still affected by the tragic incident or the loved ones they lost. Oliver Stone, director of political films such as JFK, Nixon, and Born on the Fourth of July, uses very little politics in the film and as your watching it, it's hard to tell that its made by him. He's been in kind of a funk lately and I think that in this film, he has broken out of it. The two main leads played by Nicolas Cage and Michael Pena as the police officers trapped in chaos did very well and it should of made the two real life police officers very proud. Overall, this was a good film that will get more and more appreciated as time goes by. I recommend it.

Hedeen's Outlook: 8/10 *** B
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best comedies of the year!
5 August 2006
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby is one of the best comedies of this year so far and probably will stay that way. Will Farrell has not let me down yet and I think he never will. Most of comedies are actually stupid but its him that brings every one of his movies up and makes it a lot more funnier than what they actually are. John C Reilly, who is actually most known for serious films, puts on a great performance as Ricky Bobby's sidekick as well as Gary Cole, who played Ricky Bobby's father. Overall, this film is top notch and although I don't think its better than Anchorman, it still made me laugh a ton and not worry about anything. Will Ferrell does not fail!!

Hedeen's Outlook: 9/10 ***+ A-